• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Ultimadrago

Wowza, just finished the main story. Best Ace Attorney since the 3rd. I'm looking forward to the brief write-up I give it for my Game of the Year list!

I finished it tonight. I kind of blitzed through it instead of taking my time which I regret doing. I wanted to finish it quickly to play other games. Overall I liked the game and thought it was better than the last entry. I bought the dlc and will play it some time later at a more leisurely pace.

I liked where Apollo's story arrived at. I don't know if I like Athena enough to play as the main character for future installments. I'm assuming they'll introduce a new character for the lawyer/player in the next game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started Case 5 - Day 1 Courtroom last night. Wow, I'm intrigued! Very cool!

I have taken my sweet sweet time playing this game, I think I'll finally put everything else aside and finish it though so I can have it in my GOTY list. I think Case 1, 2, and 3 have all been A+. Case 4 was interesting (I didn't figure out the twist) but yeah, it was a filler case... not as good as the first three. I hope Case 5 stays hot.

I finished Case 5 last week and just started the DLC case.

As others have said, easily the best game since AA3. My favorite part is that they brought back more of the interactivity, non-linearity, and challenge from AA1-3, albeit it's still much easier and more linear. I really hope for the next game they take it a step further and add back a little bit more challenge and non-linearity (for example, psyche-locks that you can't immediately break, uncertainty on where to go next, and less statements when investigating like "We found everything here. We should move on."). Let me get lost, dang it!

Permanently A

Anyone dislike the "you must press EVERY statement" mechanic?

It seems way, way more prevalent in this game for no reason. I liked it a lot more when it was sparingly used and really served to drive home that you were up shit creek without a paddle.

I've always hated when you needed to do that. There's so little actual "gameplay" outside of the testimonies already, hiding progression behind pressing every statement trivializes that even more. Instead of pressing A to go through the dialogue, press L occasionally...

There needs to be more situations where pressing gets a new comment added but that new comment affects an earlier statement, similar to how Logic Chess worked. LvsAA and Great Ace Attorney offered a proper evolution of the gameplay with the multiple witnesses and the jury chiming in. Stuff like that needs to start getting added to the main series already.

aett

I'm only on day 1 of the trial in Case III and so far I like the game far more than Dual Destinies. Not to say that I hated DD or anything, but Case II in that game was one of my least favorite cases in the series so far. I found it so boring that I had to force myself to gradually finish it over the course of a couple of weeks, and once it was through, the rest of the game went by so quickly in comparison.

Permanently A

"Mr. Atishon has retained me as his lawyer."

giphy.gif

cj_iwakura

Rayfa has been the most despicable character ever so far. Like, I am anticipating when she screws up just to watch her squirm. Someone really needs to slap her across the face, hard.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Rayfa has been the most despicable character ever so far. Like, I am anticipating when she screws up just to watch her squirm. Someone really needs to slap her across the face, hard.

Lol she's a little kid! What case are you in? You'll learn to feel empathy for her in case 5.

cj_iwakura

Lol she's a little kid! What case are you in? You'll learn to feel empathy for her in case 5.

Who cares? She's a horrible, malicious human being, constantly wishing death on innocent people. If I have to defend her, I'll be happy to let her hang.

I'm in Case 3.

Permanently A

I fucking love Rayfa dude. She acts like she knows it all but you get to put her in her place in court, and in case 5 she's even better cause you get to see another side of her.

Speaking of case 5, what a humdinger. My best guess right now is
Garan ordered Nayna to kill Inga
but that doesn't feel epic enough.

Rayfa stubborn attitude was made that way on purpose just so they can show more later.

i'd argue that it could have been handled better.

Raxus

Lolol I'm a middle school teacher, she's pretty on point. Self absorbed to the core. I'm interested in your thoughts post game.

Case 3 and
Case 5

Do a ton to her character wise. By the end of it she was one of my favorite characters because she was kind of a brat.

Plus she has my favorite line in the game
"....You blinded me with science!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah I haven't even finished 5 yet, but I think she's one of my favorite characters in the entire series. They do more with her emotionally than they ever do with Maya or Athena.

Baleoce

I like 4 so far. No investigating is always nice.

I don't mind investigation itself, but I also enjoyed the change of pace of case 4. I will say I'm not a big fan of the way the games now funnel you into particular investigation areas and tell you when you're done. Some might see it as a QoL thing, but I think it takes away what little sense of satisfaction you get from getting through those phases. It makes them literally just a click(tap)fest, which I guess they always were, but at least you had to have an inkling yourself of where to go.

I think this game would have benefitted greatly from cutting case 4 and splitting case 5 into two cases. Case 4 is straight up filler.

It's sort of the reverse of Dual Destinies, where I think cases 4 & 5 in that game should have been combined. I think the first part of 5 could have been a standalone case though (even if it would've made it the worst case in the game). Or hell, just have 6 cases.

cj_iwakura

Oh, there's only 5? Bummer, I saw a lot of potential for two more after this. Also bummed that
Blackquill isn't the prosecutor, but it's good he's just chilling as a regular guy now and isn't a prisoner

Permanently A

Oh, there's only 5? Bummer, I saw a lot of potential for two more after this. Also bummed that
Blackquill isn't the prosecutor, but it's good he's just chilling as a regular guy now and isn't a prisoner

The fifth case is long as fuck so I wouldn't worry about length.

To me case 4 showed
the gap between Apollo and Athena as lawyers which fit the overall story the game was trying to tell.

That's a good point, and the case itself isn't bad (gets point in my book for skipping investigation), it was just placed oddly in the overall story. Would've worked solidly as a first case in my opinion.

peakish

The fifth case is long as fuck so I wouldn't worry about length.

That's a good point, and the case itself isn't bad (gets point in my book for skipping investigation), it was just placed oddly in the overall story. Would've worked solidly as a first case in my opinion.
Gotta say that Athena is treated really poorly in that trial though. Like she hasn't ever been in court. It's super weird. Good case though, I love the characters in it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DAMN. CASE 5 IS SO GOOD YALL!

It won't end!!! They were just getting ready to hand down the verdict BUT NO. I WANT THE WHOLE TRUTH!

Bowlie

Banned
I'm on case 3, and I can't believe a sidekick has been arrested *again* for murder, and it's her second time at that.

Having recently played AA5, I'm not seeing a lot of new, different things, and I'm not feeling this game very much.

At least, I'm very much glad that case 2 improved on AA4's dropped plots, hopefully I'll see more of that (and maybe Apollo and Trucy will realize who they are???).

aett

I just finished case five. Overall, I liked the game a lot more than Dual Destinies, and Apollo Justice: AA, as well. The filler cases were definitely just that, but they were all massively better than DD's case two, which is in the running for one of my least favorite cases in the entire series.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished Case 5. It was excellent, best Case 5 of the series, right?

I think 4/5 of the cases were really strong. I'm about to replay AA3 Case 5 next, so I can compare the other Case 5 regarded as the best on the series.

I think start to finish, AA6 may be my favorite game of the series. It's definitely next to VS Layton for my favorite OST of the series.

... Man the ending was also really good! Especially that last conversation of the game, nice callback to fans of AA4!

Top Bottom