• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

DrArchon

Completed case 2. Lots of good twists there, like any case involving magicians should have.
I guessed that the switching of the coffin sides would come into play, but I expected something way more complicated involving mirrors and shit. Didn't see the twins coming or the true identity of the murderer at all though, which was really nice for an early case.
. Most of all though, I love how Trucy got the spotlight. She was barely involved in DD, so this kind of felt like an apology case for ignoring her for a whole game.
That being said I couldn't help but point out that her dad was a massive piece of shit every time his picture came up. I'll never get over that.

I'm a bit into the investigation for case 3 now, and it's also hitting all of the right notes. Just enough nostalgia with Maya and a couple of references here and there (
I got a huge kick out of hearing the Steel Samurai theme again
), but the new characters are still fun.
Rayfa is a lot more fun than I thought she would be. If she was just the haughty princess type she'd get annoying fast, but having her occasionally have a childish outburst or pretend to know something she obviously doesn't help a lot.

So finally completed the game but haven't gotten around to the DLC yet. My feelings are that it is definitely better than Dual Destinies but as another GAFer stated I am still a little tepid on the whole thing. Some thoughts.

• I get that Phoenix (and to an extent Apollo/Athena) is know for his comedic shenanigans and OHHHHH NOOOOOES! But at this point I would probably appreciate his character more if he just became......competent? Also his voice, they need to completely re-cast who does Phoenix's voice. Sounds way too young for a 35 year old lawyer.
  • Case 1 was about an hour too long. Possibly due to the terrible wait time for the criminal and their certain shtick. The ability to choose "Skip ALL text" was definitely needed.
  • For the game that reintroduced Maya back into the series she seems very shoe-horned into the whole thing. It was great to see her again but it feels like they just brought her back due to fan-demand and to stick in her in the same victim/witness roles again.
  • Besides the longevity of case 1, all the other cases were stellar. Case 5 was definitely a wild ride. Loved a certain individual standing with you at your bench on case 4.

DLC case was a little meh. Nice seeing Larry again but if they really wanted to do a throwback case they should have gotten Gumshoe involved too, maybe that was too much work. The storyline was somewhat predictable and not super interesting once they dropped the
time travel
angle.

AA5's was much better. It might also feel this way after loving Apollo in this game and going back to a ho-hum case with Phoenix.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What I loved about this entry was
the bait-and-switch with Inga. I was almost 100% sure either he or Dhurke would turn out to be the villain in the end, but the game hits you with a 180 and Inga is murdered. Never expected that to happen - probably the most unexpected character twist since Matt Engarde.

What I loved about this entry was
the bait-and-switch with Inga. I was almost 100% sure either he or Dhurke would turn out to be the villain in the end, but the game hits you with a 180 and Inga is murdered. Never expected that to happen - probably the most unexpected character twist since Matt Engarde.

Yeah I agree with this, actually maybe the biggest surprise in the series for me, because it's exactly 100% the opposite of what I expected to happen.

rekameohs

Banned
The ending was great, even if I thought the final villain was a little underwhelming. I'll give it some time then post some thoughts in the spoiler thread. I really liked both Dual Destinies and this game (for different reasons), and this one in particular definitely exceeded my expectations based on what I knew of its bizarre premise beforehand. Case 1 was a little rough introduction to the setting, but Case 3 was great, and Case 5 was just a beast - they pulled out all the stops on that one, definitely had the closest moments in the AA4-6 games to the biggest emotional beats of the original trilogy. The domestic cases were solid, if unremarkable. I had no idea that the Khura'in cases would end up being my highlights of the game going in, but hey, they were!

KLoWn

I just finished the game and I thought it was pretty damn great. Way better than Dual Destinies (which was good too).

Is the DLC worth getting? I remember the DD DLC being pretty good.
Also, there's some DLC called "Theater", is that just some cutscenes or...?

*Edit*
Do we know who Phoenix talked to after the credits?
Apollo's mom?

I just finished the game and I thought it was pretty damn great. Way better than Dual Destinies (which was good too).

Is the DLC worth getting? I remember the DD DLC being pretty good.
Also, there's some DLC called "Theater", is that just some cutscenes or...?

*Edit*
Do we know who Phoenix talked to after the credits?
Apollo's mom?

There is one full DLC case, Turnabout Time Traveler. The other DLC are short half-hour misadventures starring the main cast.

And yes, we know that
he was talking to Lamiroire/Thalassa.

upandaway

Just finished the main game yesterday. The DLC will have to wait until next weekend (not that I'm in any mindset to do it now anyway, gotta let the craziness of the main story to sink in a little)

Flat out a collection of some of my favorite cases in the series. Ridiculously high stakes, great investigation helpers (Rayfa and Edgeworth were the best), tons of good-old game overs in court and pixel hunting in investigations. I did enjoy 4 and 5 a lot but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel like my interest in the series would run out eventually if it stayed on that level. 6 felt like another entry in a series I wanna keep playing as long as I live. Definitely a return to form.

Khura'in felt extremely well developed and I loved it. You can tell they worked really hard to keep a consistent aesthetic too with the murals, clothes and backgrounds. And the high stakes were easy to accept and I was super into it.

Even case 4 was pretty nice (my favorite part about it is Uendo, which was surprising to me because I felt pretty disappointed with them resorting to multiple personalities - like with the twins in case 2, too, it was utilized really really well to make up for the cliche). Case 3 is easily my favorite. Honestly 1-2-3 were an incredible steak of great cases that no other game in the series has, and they're what got me so into it. 5 was also great but a tiny bit too sappy for me in the end, the twists were insane though.

I do feel a bit iffy about a couple of things:
- Ga'ran's costume change was horrible. It's like they tried to throw away all of the hard work they did on establishing a country with rich lore and design. I felt like the costume alone is a big stain on the case, it just drains away so much from it just by showing up on the screen in key moments. Bummed me out
- (AAI2 spoilers) Nahyuta has the same problem as the judge lady in that his blackmail doesn't really justify how much of a jerk he was throughout the game. Like, at all. Especially case 2, what the hell man.
- The civil case felt kinda forced. Wright and Edgeworth can be at each other's throats in court as friends all the time but somehow Ema gets upset when Apollo does it.
- I still don't understand why the prosecutors didn't get judged under the DCA. Payne and Nahyuta totally helped criminals by pressing false charges. But oh well.

FluxWaveZ

- The civil case felt kinda forced. Wright and Edgeworth can be at each other's throats in court as friends all the time but somehow Ema gets upset when Apollo does it.

6-5 Spoilers:

Ema respects both Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth a ton, and it all goes back to 1-5. Despite being the main detective in AA4, she doesn't have that admiration for Apollo that she does for the other two (in fact, she's more prone to making fun of him). So, naturally, if both went into a fight like that, Ema would immediately take Wright's side. That wasn't an element that felt forced to me.

Not to mention that this is also an element that is explored in the DLC case.

upandaway

6-5 Spoilers:

Ema respects both Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth a ton, and it all goes back to 1-5. Despite being the main detective in AA4, she doesn't have that admiration for Apollo that she does for the other two (in fact, she's more prone to making fun of him). So, naturally, if both went into a fight like that, Ema would immediately take Wright's side. That wasn't an element that felt forced to me.

Not to mention that this is also an element that is explored in the DLC case.
I mean that to neither of them it seemed like a fight at all, and they said as much, but all the rest were freaking out about it as if Wright didn't have friendly court bouts all the time. In the game over screen it even said their relationship was forever damaged, even though Wright knew the only reason he did it was blackmail. To me it seemed like the commentary was too dramatic for drama's sake.

MrBadger

Started the DLC case. Super early into the investigation but here are my predictions -
Time travel isn't real
The butler is the killer

I mean that to neither of them it seemed like a fight at all, and they said as much, but all the rest were freaking out about it as if Wright didn't have friendly court bouts all the time. In the game over screen it even said their relationship was forever damaged, even though Wright knew the only reason he did it was blackmail. To me it seemed like the commentary was too dramatic for drama's sake.

Apollo had a personal stake in it. I can see why their relationship would be damaged if Wright ruined Dhurke's revolution and accused Datz of murder for what was seemingly a pay check from a slimy politician. Maybe for whatever reason he thought it'd be easier and less shameful to admit he was being blackmailed the whole time.

Morts

Case 5 just keeps going...
just pointed to Garan as starting the fire.
I've got to be almost done, right?

And there's DLC out already?

DrArchon

Beat case 3 last night. Holy shit that was ride and a half. Threw me for a couple of loops there, and there were multiple info drops that I thought wouldn't come into play until the final case.
I guessed who the real Kee'ra was (dude's name kinda gave it away), but I figured Maya would bust out her channeling in the final case as part of a big "Oh Shit!" moment. I certainly didn't expect the Steel Samurai theme to get as much play as it did. Very happy about that.

I feel like I'm in a good position to start predicting what the final case will be. I'm guessing
At some point you'll effectively retry the case regarding the previous queen's assassination and exonerate Dhurke while proving that the justice minister will be the real culprit. Still not sure on whether or not the current queen was in on it as a means to seize power. I figure it'll end with Rayfa as the new queen getting rid of the DC act. Sahdmadhi will make a face-turn at some point, maybe after meeting his dad again. I have no fucking clue how Apollo will tie into all of this.

For being only 3 cases in, I already like this game more than the last one. All of the political intrigue and stuff about the DC act is far more interesting than the stuff about the "Dark Age of the Law", which never really went anywhere. Actually seeing the direct repercussions for this fucked up law really helps to drive home just how bad it is, whereas with the Dark Age stuff you never really saw any of them outside of the case in the school. Knowing that the next case is back in boring "totally not Japan" annoys me a little, but maybe it'll be a good case nonetheless.

The seances could be a little better. They're certainly very interesting from a story perspective, but gameplay-wise they're little better than the mood matrix stuff with Athena. Just pick out the weird element that doesn't fit with the scenes presented. Both are still better than hunting for tells with Apollo, and nothing's worse than the magatama.

BTA

Hmm. I finally finished case 3 and while I liked it a lot, I'm not really feeling it as one of the Best Ever or something like others seem to be. I particularly liked
all the Steel Samurai/Plumed Punisher stuff, the channeling of the victim, and what ended up being the motive/truth,
but...

A lot of it felt very obvious and in particular I felt like they gave you certain evidence much too soon.
As soon as the phone strap was taken as evidence it was 100% clear that there would be a mixup between the themes. And when you get the family photo, well, that made it entirely clear who was going to be at fault when it eventually happened. Similarly, it was 100% clear who Datz was from the start and so I wish that had been dealt with a little faster.

And then there's the things that went unquestioned and they bugged the hell out of me.
His wife can't be the rebel hunter because she's pregnant? Has she been pregnant for the last two years...? Because that's how long the rebel hunter was operating for! And she's not even visibly pregnant, so how does being a couple months pregnant (and hell, we're even just believing that on word + her not being in the ritual alone) automatically disqualify her from fighting people? I know we're already indulging in this "a weak woman couldn't have done this" shit, but this really isn't going to be questioned at all? That's baffling. Especially as she seems plenty able to help in the rebellion, and her having access to the sanctum/knowing the true name due to her usual participation in the rite could have been used for something interesting. To a lesser extent, why did no one ever question that the family seemed to hold the feast twice? It could even have played into the question of her alibi, since she was clearly there earlier, etc.

Also, little confused as to why
the feast picture clearly having the hideout's key in the background never came up! Unlike some of the more obvious stuff, I didn't notice it at first and thought it was a nice touch when i did, so for it to never be mentioned was weird!

That being said, excited to see what comes next.
Apollo's relation to Dhurke
was spoiled for me by a joke on Twitter but I had no idea it'd be stated so suddenly and clearly, which I'm kinda happy about, and I really wanna see where that goes.
But lol @ him being adopted; maybe I should lower my expectations of Phoenix ever actually telling these kids that they're related...

DrArchon

A lot of it felt very obvious and in particular I felt like they gave you certain evidence much too soon.
As soon as the phone strap was taken as evidence it was 100% clear that there would be a mixup between the themes. And when you get the family photo, well, that made it entirely clear who was going to be at fault when it eventually happened. Similarly, it was 100% clear who Datz was from the start and so I wish that had been dealt with a little faster.

It took me a bit to put 2 and 2 together to know that the theme mixup would be a thing (I figured it out in the seance when the theme popped up), but when I saw the family photo for the first time all I thought was that it was cute that the wife was the fan that Maya traded with. I hadn't thought that the similarities in the themes would be a thing even though the strap was evidence. Shows how not perceptive I am.

I'll agree that Datz was obvious. As soon as the bearded weirdo popped up in the plaza I said "Oh, that's the prisoner and he parachuted down to the sanctum." They should've had him come up with a fake story instead of just having amnesia, because that just was just too shady.

I liked his character though when you really got to talk to him in the hideout. He did a really good job of humanizing the rebels I felt.

The really obvious thing that I felt they took too long to address was
the bird statue being the real murder weapon. As soon as I saw it covered in so much blood I thought that it must have impaled the priest somehow. That could've been brought up sooner.

i just finished case 5

so Polly's mom is hooking up with Wright? is that why she wants to keep things a secret? she already been with two guys?

cyba89

Finished the game. Not the DLC case. Will tackle that one later.

The last case was just fantastic.
The moment I came to the realization that Dhurke got killed was really emotionial. Such a brilliant moment, with such a great soundtrack during that whole scene and during the Maya flashback too.

BTA

Finished case 4.
That was... a thing that existed. I'm happy Athena got a case but boy, they didn't even try to make that interesting. Not to mention the laziness of the localization- the rakugo stuff worked sorta ok, since they could luckily point to Blackquill being such a weeb, but the whole time I was betting on some message with "shisho" being important because it was constantly used. I guess... not? Why the hell did they not use "master"?

Started case 5 just now too.
Well, thaaaaaat sure is one way to start a case! This is pretty entertaining and I'm excited to see where this nonsense goes but the Trucy calling Dhurke "dad" jokes are painful. The only thing I really want from this case is Phoenix fucking finally telling these kids that they're siblings and I'm pretty sure I won't get that, as much as I'd like to be proven wrong. The stuff about her family early on showed that they actually remember that AA4 existed but they sure haven't questioned Apollo's birth family yet, so having expectations would only let me down when the credits are rolling. It's getting infuriating that Phoenix is keeping this fucked up secret from them and it's never even mentioned. Even if this case is amazing as everyone says it is, if it doesn't have that reveal to them, that sucks.

EDIT:
I pressed A and fuck me, they showed the picture of his dad. Oh boy. I'm scared to have hope...

EDIT2:
Fuck, being able to examine the urn actually made me tear up. I'm weak. That sure is a gut punch from... I can't believe it's 9 years ago, wow.

Case 3

Am I crazy or did they just forget about how they sent out the bailiff to check on the authenticity of the listening tape that the priest claimed to have and just didn't do anything with it?

BTA

Finished day 1 of case 5.
Uh. Why was case 4 even a thing? I really appreciate it having given Athena her own case, even with Blackquill being there to assist, but... this first day, which was great, easily could have been case 4 and then had it lead into case 5 like AA5 did. Or maybe that's a bad assumption about what's left. I dunno. It just feels weird that they decided to break things up with case 4 instead of having the momentum from 3 head straight into this? Particularly as now Nahyuta's just bouncing back and forth between countries for no clear reason...

FluxWaveZ

Uh. Why was case 4 even a thing? I really appreciate it having given Athena her own case, even with Blackquill being there to assist, but... this first day, which was great, easily could have been case 4 and then had it lead into case 5 like AA5 did. Or maybe that's a bad assumption about what's left. I dunno. It just feels weird that they decided to break things up with case 4 instead of having the momentum from 3 head straight into this? Particularly as now Nahyuta's just bouncing back and forth between countries for no clear reason...

Case 4 was basically to give Athena her own spotlight. That's it. Case 5 really could have been divided into a case 4 and an actual case 5 based on its length and what happens in it.

DrArchon

Nahyuta coming back for case 4 was weird. They touched on it a little by saying that Edgeworth specifically called him back for this one case, but they never explained why. Why should this famous foreign prosecutor be the one to deal with this case? You'd think he'd have more important things to do in Khura'in than to try and convict this soba shop owner.

My biggest problem with case 4 was
the lack of any investigating. That really made it feel like a throwaway case. For the penultimate case it just felt so short. No investigating, only 3 people on the stand to examine (even if one of them was multiple people kinda), not any huge twists or revelations outside of the multiple personality thing. It felt far less important than case 2, which brought back all the stuff about Trucy and the Gramaryes at least.

Case 4 should've been the second or third case, and case 3 should've been the forth case. But I guess they didn't want to have two back to back cases outside of Khura'in when that's the selling point of the game more or less.

upandaway

Nahyuta coming back for case 4 was weird. They touched on it a little by saying that Edgeworth specifically called him back for this one case, but they never explained why. Why should this famous foreign prosecutor be the one to deal with this case? You'd think he'd have more important things to do in Khura'in than to try and convict this soba shop owner.
They did I think, they said that there's a big shortage of prosecutors and Nahyuta is helping with the workload, or something like that.

I didn't mind case 4 at all... not every AA game needs to have the same structure,
and it's an extra case to what would have normally been case 4 being case 5 split into two (which actually I don't really know why they didn't split 5 anyways into 5 and 6, I guess they wanted case 5 to appear bigger as the final case) with the khurain segment being stretched out. I definitely would have felt a bit of a burnout if cases 3 and 5 were back to back. Not to mention the buffer helps with easing into case 5's beginning.

I felt that they really wanted to avoid multi day trials with this game, and so they ended up with an extra trial segment that they decided to put towards a new case. And it was honestly a nice case, just a shame it was such a bad localization.

Considering how much filler the newer games in the series have, what with constant flashbacks and repeated explanations, I like the cases being one day things, if only for the perception.

DrArchon

Just beat day 1 of case 5.

Very disappointed that they reused the whole "Kidnap Maya to get Phoenix to defend the real killer" thing again. I would've rather it had been that Phoenix wasn't coerced and simply believed that his client was right. Everything else was good though. Armie was annoying at first (those animations with the drone took WAY too long), but I felt bad enough at her situation that I ended up liking her in the end. Dhurke was awesome across the board though.

This totally should've been it's own separate case that would lead into the final case, like AA5 had.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Finished case 5 (haven't done any of the 3 DLCs yet)

I miss Dhurke. ;_;

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just beat day 1 of case 5.

Very disappointed that they reused the whole "Kidnap Maya to get Phoenix to defend the real killer" thing again. I would've rather it had been that Phoenix wasn't coerced and simply believed that his client was right. Everything else was good though. Armie was annoying at first (those animations with the drone took WAY too long), but I felt bad enough at her situation that I ended up liking her in the end. Dhurke was awesome across the board though.

This totally should've been it's own separate case that would lead into the final case, like AA5 had.

Day 2 of Case 5 will help explain some of the questions/complaints you had FYI. I won't go into any further detail than that though.

GaimeGuy

okay, I'm doing the PW absurd DLC case...

Why is Ahlbi taller than Pearl?! He's 9! She's 18!

Edit: WHY ARE YOU CALLING HIM YOUR HERO? YOU'RE TWICE AS HOLD AS HE IS. PEARL NO!

DrArchon

Day 2 of Case 5 will help explain some of the questions/complaints you had FYI. I won't go into any further detail than that though.

I certainly hope it will. I've been seeing people hype this case up for a while, so the second chunk better be worth it because this first part was just so-so.

Seriously, kidnapping Maya again really pisses me off. I get that she's a professional damsel in distress at this point in the series, but it's one thing to treat a character badly and another to treat a character badly in the exact same way that you did so in an earlier game, and for the same reasons.

Maya had better show up in the final case though. If she's shelved for the entire final case and only pops up for a few words at the end I'm gonna be fucking pissed. There's no way I can forgive them for bringing Maya back and giving her less screen time than Phoenix's tour guide.

ZeroX03

Banned
I certainly hope it will. I've been seeing people hype this case up for a while, so the second chunk better be worth it because this first part was just so-so.

Seriously, kidnapping Maya again really pisses me off. I get that she's a professional damsel in distress at this point in the series, but it's one thing to treat a character badly and another to treat a character badly in the exact same way that you did so in an earlier game, and for the same reasons.

Maya had better show up in the final case though. If she's shelved for the entire final case and only pops up for a few words at the end I'm gonna be fucking pissed. There's no way I can forgive them for bringing Maya back and giving her less screen time than Phoenix's tour guide.

Not shelved for the entire case, but don't get your hopes up.

DrArchon

Got done with what feels like most of the investigations for the latter half of case 5. I'm at
Dhurke's office again
and I've seen enough that I think I can predict how most of the final case is going to turn out.

My current thoughts and lite predictions follow:

-OK, so clearly the Queen isn't Rayfa's real mother. From the picture, it looks like Amara is her real mother. I still don't know if Inga was her father. Either way, Nahyuta at least has a half-sister that he doesn't know about, just like Apollo, which I find funny. That picture was WAY too much of a giveaway, and revealing something that huge so early on in the case is pretty weird. Reminds me of when Trucy pointed out that Roger Retinz did a complicated slight-of-hand trick. I don't need or want everything spelled out for me!

-Edgeworth is always welcome to come back for any case, and the theme music they gave him in AA5 remains solid and uplifting. It's still weird how him and Phoenix are good friends but they keep referring to each other with their last names. That whole episode with Edgeworth and the dog was great, especially seeing as they went the extra mile and added the dog model to his cravat. Still, I hope this doesn't become a pattern of having Edgeworth pop up just to help out in the last case, because that's just too predictable.

-Nahyuta's face-turn is obvious at this point, the only questions are when and why. He seems pretty convicted to his cause, but I guess it's really just some sort of threat against something he loves. I'm starting to wish that the next game could just have an unrepentant asshole for a prosecutor, like Von Karma was. Going through the same song and dance of having to "save that prosecutor" in the final case is getting tiring. Let's have one that, after the final case, still hates Phoenix's/Apollo's guts.

-I'm glad Maya wasn't kidnapped for the entire final case, like AA2, but then they just shelve her again after you rescue her! God dammit! This might be her final game (if it's true that she really does go on to be the leader of Kurain Village, which would make it hard for her to help out Phoenix at the same time). At least she shows up for the DLC case, but still. I really enjoy Maya as a character, and it's interesting to see both what's changed about her and what hasn't in terms of her personality.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I played the demo and I'm still not sure if I should get this game or not. I think the character design and the animations are fantastic and the new Divination Séance mechanic and the setting seem interesting. But the wiriting (or maybe the localization) felt somehow stiff or forced to me compared to the older games in the series. I'm not a native English speaker, though, so I don't even know if I can judge the writing porperly. Did someone else have this feeling with the main game?

peakish

There's a lot that this game does really damn well. First off, most cases are interesting stories by themselves, which hasn't been true since AA3. Many of them give enough hints that you can figure out either the how, who or why before the final trials, but still made it interesting to unravel the rest. At least two of the cases had me wondering for real what part a suspicious character actually played: whether they were being manipulated or behind it all. The twists don't come out of nowhere to shock you but feel more natural which makes the tension feel earned instead of forced.

This is in a large part thanks to the cast, which is really fun on most ends and makes you care about the events. From the adorable cheesecake of Bonne de Famme to how a certain person is enamoured with Soba noodles, there are many good character moments in the game. Even a grieving widow is given plenty of moments to shine and make you laugh through a more subdued presentation.

In a weird turn it's the recurring cast that is one of the weaker elements of the writing. Probably because it is growing a bit too large. Just counting close collaborators to the Wright Agency there are four attorneys or sidekicks to divide the attention between and who will rotate as your sidekicks. On top of that there are a few other returning characters and of course Maya's hyped return. All of these are competing with the Khura'in main cast, which isn't small by itself, and it's noticeable how pressed for space the writers were.
Thus how Trucy and Maya both get charged with crimes and Athena gets the uncomfortable fourth case which feels like it was meant as DLC or another game entirely. But for real, this was how they made Maya's hyped return to the series? By (again) making her a victim twice and then shipping her off to the sidelines until she's needed for the resolution? Damn girl gets no rest and I think she deserves better.

(On that note, enough with the damn throwbacks, Capcom. Can we get some new animations or clothes for some of these characters? Thank you.)

Speaking of the Khura'in cast, their story is a pretty good one if weirdly large in scale for a series about solving crimes.
I definitely was not expecting a story about a despot using a tragedy to make a power grab, or the consequences of a society sacrificing human ideals and rights for short term protection. It's an interesting if blunt companion piece to looking not just at history but at the current state of the world and even my country.

Rayfa is a really good character for this. Although her story is partly a repeat of AA2 she is actually developing through the course of the game as she looks at the impact her actions and beliefs have on people. She is also absolutely adorable. Ka-tonk!

Nahyuta on the other hand feels like a third wheel. He has little impact on the story, is not very funny or interesting and is inconsistent in his actions. I imagine that the writers had a hard time finding a good role for him in the story which is a shame, because a monk could have been an interesting prosecutor in an AA game without coming across as a loser. In a series where a lot of focus is on prosecutors it's a shame that he turned out like this.

Despite that though, AA6 proves to me that the series can make up for bad prosecutors with an otherwise great cast, interesting cases and actually fun problems to think about. It also finally shows that the new Capcom team have what it takes to create good games in the series, which I am relieved to see since I didn't particularly enjoy AA4, AA5 or Investigations. Moving on, if they can focus on a smaller main cast (
please stop dividing cases between three attorneys
) and tighten up the pacing (most cases felt like they ran maybe one or two hours too long) the series will be in great hands. I wasn't at all excited to play this game until it started getting good word of mouth, so I am super pleased that it turned out this well.

Just finished Case 5 day 1.

Having Apollo face off against Phoenix was such a cool idea, but Phoenix felt like he was becoming less and less of a threat the longer the trial went on. Others have said similar stuff here, but Phoenix is supposed to be a pro and it's really hard to believe that from the way he acted during that. It doesn't help that Athena and Apollo kept mentioning how he was "The Turnabout Terror" when that apparent terror was bested so easily.

DrArchon

Just completed the final case a few minutes ago, so I guess these will be my final thoughts unless the DLC case really needs to be talked about. Obvious spoilers for the whole final case and epilogue bellow.

-OK, whoever decided that Ga'ran needed to dress up like a Disney villain for the final trial needs a stern talking to. There was no way I could take her seriously at all when she looked like a bad Maleficant cosplayer the entire time. Plus it made it super obvious that she was the actual killer. I get the desire the have a proper "final boss" but you're never gonna top Manfred Von Karma so why try?

-This game really should've been called Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice. He got all of the character development and the best scenes. Phoenix was just along for the ride. He didn't even do anything in the final case except for explain a couple of things and give so super obvious hints. I appreciate Apollo getting some screen time and development because I really like it, but it does seem odd that this is the game where it happened. You'd think this game would really focus on Phoenix and Maya, seeing as the spirit medium stuff was front and center, but no.

-I kinda figured that Dhurke was dead seeing as him passing out for no reason was too suspicious, but I still got emotional. Great writing there. I also didn't expect that he would switch from one medium to another, or that he would be trying to cover up Amara's involvement. Having so many people trying to cover up the actions of so many other people made for a good case with a lot of twists.

-The epilogue was a big surprise for me. I totally didn't see Apollo leaving the agency coming. I wonder how they'll handle future games. I fully expect the see more Phoenix Wright games with Athena, but I wonder if we'll also see another Apollo Justice game that takes place in Khura'in with Nahyuta and Rayfa. I wouldn't mind that one bit, and it'd be a shame to handwave all the work Apollo is doing just to bring him back with Phoenix and Athena for the next game.

-For being the game that finally brought Maya back, this was a big letdown. Of the 5 non-DLC cases, she only has a decent role in case 3, and only then in the courtroom portion. Most of Maya's best moments are in the investigation sections, so that sucked. I mean, she did play a role in the final case, but she popped up for, what, 3 minutes and 1 cross examination and then got shelved again? Total waste.

-Lastly, I can't believe that Phoenix let Apollo leave to do his own thing AND HE STILL HASN'T TOLD HIM ABOUT HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH TRUCY! Jesus Christ, the guy left to work in a foreign country and Phoenix doesn't even think to himself "Hmm, maybe I should mention that Trucy is Apollo's half-sister..." The fact that they're still keeping that a secret bugs me, and yes, I did see the whole epilogue, but the fact remains that this is the 3rd game with Apollo and Phoenix still hasn't revealed this to him. It's kinda messed up at this point. It's probably still gonna be a secret in the next game, seeing as it'll probably be either Phoenix or Apollo and not both.

All in all, I'd say this game had higher highs than the previous one and more of them, so it's probably now my favorite 3D AA game, but it's still no AA1 or AA3.

In terms of rating the cases:
3>5>2>1>4

Case 3 was really that good, and case 5 suffered with all of the stuff regarding the first trial, which I really didn't care for.

peakish

-OK, whoever decided that Ga'ran needed to dress up like a Disney villain for the final trial needs a stern talking to. There was no way I could take her seriously at all when she looked like a bad Maleficant cosplayer the entire time. Plus it made it super obvious that she was the actual killer. I get the desire the have a proper "final boss" but you're never gonna top Manfred Von Karma so why try?
This was super silly. She was more intimidating before donning the Bad Guy™ outfit.

-I kinda figured that Dhurke was dead seeing as him passing out for no reason was too suspicious, but I still got emotional. Great writing there. I also didn't expect that he would switch from one medium to another, or that he would be trying to cover up Amara's involvement. Having so many people trying to cover up the actions of so many other people made for a good case with a lot of twists.
Yeah, his writing was really good. I thought it was so stupid when he suddenly showed up at Apollo's house since it seemed so heavy handed to force the story like that but he turned it around for me. In part due to Apollo being as suspicious as me in the beginning, then the two of them actually bonding as you get to know him more. Then ending with there being a personal reason for him to see Apollo one last time all of a sudden, that was a great moment.

upandaway

About this, I actually do feel like they could have gotten an incredible Karma/Gant-level super boss if they just kept everything the same until the case 5, and then handled it better there. I was so bummed that they dropped the ball on her with by letting her wear something so silly and making her character such a try hard (plus the court proceedings didn't make her seem tough at all, but that's true for most prosecutors since the original trilogy). All the setup was there, with the ability to change the law and blackmail nearly everyone and being like one of the most experienced prosecutors in the series so far. But none of those was used effectively and just seemed forced. They dropped the ball on Ga'ran on every level.

Outside of that the rest of the khura'in trial was amazing though

GaussTek

So, I'm really taking my time and I'm at the middle of case 3.

I was wondering, did anyone else get the impression that Apollo did a lot better job against Nahyuta than Phoenix? Yeah, I know he wasn't in the hostile environment Phoenix was and that cases were different, but, I don't know, I got the impression than Apollo's deductive abilities were a lot better than Phoenix's haha (so far, ofc).

GaimeGuy

Phoenix's approach is basically to work backwards. "I believe in my client. The only way they could be innocent given these circumstances is if ______. But that'd be impo- Wait a minute, I think I can show that. Holy shit I can show that."

Top Bottom