• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Any impressions on the DLC case? Where does it rank among the other cases?

I'd have it above 1 and 4, but below 2, 3 and 5. It has a really strong first day and a strong conclusion, but a fair amount of the second day is pretty pointless and annoying.
Phoenix bluffs all the time, a lot more than in the main game, and Maya seems like she's actively hindering your investigation.
Really good characters, though, (
Larry's transition to 3D is beautiful and Ellen has the best animations
) even if some take a bit to pick up speed, and a really nice setting, but I found the pacing kinda wonky.

E: One thing that I kept loving about the case was how
no matter how many new facts were brought into light, your client still seemed guilty until the very last second.
It's very well written in that regard.

I'd have it above 1 and 4, but below 2, 3 and 5. It has a really strong first day and a strong conclusion, but a fair amount of the second day is pretty pointless and annoying.
Phoenix bluffs all the time, a lot more than in the main game, and Maya seems like she's actively hindering your investigation.
Really good characters, though, (
Larry's transition to 3D is beautiful and Ellen has the best animations
) even if some take a bit to pick up speed, and a really nice setting, but I found the pacing kinda wonky.

E: One thing that I kept loving about the case was how
no matter how many new facts were brought into light, your client still seemed guilty until the very last second.
It's very well written in that regard.
That's a little worse than I thought it would be, thanks for the impressions though. Sadly the DD dlc case never went on sale so there's no point in waiting for a drop unless they're gonna change their policy for this one.

Finished the game, and fairly happy with it. But it's quite a by the numbers ace attorney if there ever was one. Except case 5, case 5 was great.

I can't help but feel like case 4 only exists at all because they felt obligated to give (minor spoiler )
Athena
a case. (bigger spoilers)
It's so tacked on. No investigation portion. Single day trial. No effect on the overall plot, and Nahuyta coming back from Kurain and prosecuting that case is still stupid. If they wanted the Athena/Simon dynamic, then they should have had Klavier prosecute, given they already have at least some animations for him from the short mock trial in DD. Or saved it for the next game entirely and had it be case one there, with Payne prosecuting.

Case 5 spoilers
I'm not sure why they didn't just cut case 4 entirely given that case 5 turned out to be two separate trials anyway, when they could have perhaps expanded on both parts of that in to two separate somewhat longer cases instead.

What a good conclusion to the Apollo justice saga that was though. When I worked out Dhurke was already dead... poor Apollo. Still not sure Garan is anywhere near my favourite AA villian list though.

And is it just me, or is the game...shorter than the previous games? My 3DS app say sI took just under 23 hours for SoJ, and DD was over 34 hours (though that is with the DLC case for 5 and not having played the DLC case for 6 yet).

Kneefoil

And is it just me, or is the game...shorter than the previous games? My 3DS app say sI took just under 23 hours for SoJ, and DD was over 34 hours (though that is with the DLC case for 5 and not having played the DLC case for 6 yet).

I don't remember much about DD, but this was definitely a lot longer than any of the DS games. If you go to check the average clear times on How Long to Beat, this game seems to be longer than Dual Destinies as well by a pretty good margin.

flohen95

It took me ~52 hours to finish the game, not counting any DLC. Dual Destinies was about 35 hours DLC included (I blame a lot of the difference on being able to investigate more freely in Spirit of Justice). The DS games were somewhere between 20 - 30 hours each for me, I'd estimate. So yeah, it might be you (or I could be the outlier, of course).

Baleoce

I mean, I'm on case 4 now but, I think I've played enough to ascertain that this new prosecutor has no redeeming qualities and is in actual fact just a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. I don't sympathise with him or understand him. He's just a bit of an arse.

Haganeren

Hum, just finished the DLC case... I was actually a big fan of the DLC case of Dual Destinies but this one was a less interesting in my opinion.

Well, it was still a very enjoyable ride, i'm a little disappointed by
the fact the whole time travel thing was dismissed so quickly even if Larry putting that with an "OBJECTION" animation was just hilarious.

It really have some really enice moment but may not be the most memorable case out there....
And yeah... The culpit was so obvious it was kinda disappointing even if the story was mostly good.
The characters are really amusing thought... Especially the defendant !
I found Maya kinda strange too.
I mean, she didn't seemed THAT childish in the case 3, it's like she regressed or something. I mean she is 28 now, not a teenager anymore so it was strange to see.

PS :Also
let the poor Larry have its flowers, he suffered with his girlfriends more than any of you would ever !

selo

Finished it a couple of days ago, loved it. The worst cases (1 and 4) aren't as bad as the bad ones in dual destinies, and case 5 was awesome. I'd probably rank this game just below trials and tribs and the original.

I'd sure love to see more PW games, but... where's the Edgeworth love? I'd like to also see an investigations game on the 3ds!

I just finished Case 3, and it was one of the most gloriously Yamazaki cases ever.

Complete and utter craziness.
I was really lost for a good portion of the case because there were only like one or maybe two suspects, but none of them even seemed to be linked to the case at all. And then the second day of the trial was just things going further and further into crazy town, but all somehow linking up into a pretty satisfying case that felt consistent by the very end.

Baleoce

Wait lol, the soundtrack suddenly gets really awesome for case 4. Why didn't they have this pursuit and cornered theme from the beginning? Unless I'm going senile and imagining things.

FluxWaveZ

Wait lol, the soundtrack suddenly gets really awesome for case 4. Why didn't they have this pursuit and cornered theme from the beginning? Unless I'm going senile and imagining things.

Are you talking about Athena's Objection theme? That's in Case 2, as well.

I'm stuck on the seance scene in case 5 but I don't want to look it up...but I wouldn't mind a hint
I've gotten to the insight that the explosion and laughter was from Datz but can't figure out what that really changes other than Inga didn't fire his gun maybe but that doesn't change much. I figure the explosion change is more important than the laugh but can't spot any new contradiction

Wazzy

Banned
I'm on case 5 and it's really good so far. I love
Ga'ran's look. Reminds me of Ultimecia from Final Fantasy VIII
I'm stuck on the seance scene in case 5 but I don't want to look it up...but I wouldn't mind a hint
I've gotten to the insight that the explosion and laughter was from Datz but can't figure out what that really changes other than Inga didn't fire his gun maybe but that doesn't change much. I figure the explosion change is more important than the laugh but can't spot any new contradiction

Think what time
the explosion was at.

It's been a while but
consider what Inga hears and at what time he hears it.

Hope that's enough of a hint to help you out :)

I'm on case 5 and it's really good so far. I love
Ga'ran's look. Reminds me of Ultimecia from Final Fantasy VIII

Think what time
the explosion was at.

It's been a while but
consider what Inga hears and at what time he hears it.

Hope that's enough of a hint to help you out :)

Cheers guys. I probably should have figured that out by myself but happy to be past it anyways :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
5 > 3 > DLC > 2 > 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 in this game for me. Case 1 is so much worse than the others that it gives a really bad impression of the rest of the game. I placed 4 last, but I still really enjoyed it. At least this game didn't have any cases as bad as 2-3 or 4-3.

Also, I'm surprised how different the general impressions/reviews have been from the import impressions/reviews. Japanese speakers didn't seem to regard the game nearly as highly.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like case one. It just sets the tone in a slow way, introducing a completely new location. No immediate murder. It was a new feel for the series.

It is too long though. The whole game could've had 10% edited out and been much better for it.

DrArchon

Completed case 1 and a bit of the investigation for case 2.

Case 1 was a total breath of fresh air. Going to a whole new location with a new set of rules and a new backstory was a great idea. It was still basically a tutorial, but a tutorial for setting up this brand new environment is way better than another "here's a rookie attorney learning the ropes" case. Some bits were kind of grating like
the constant slow text speed every time that guitar dude sang, plus the constant cuts the gallery talking about how much they want Phoenix to die. Yeah, we get it, they're out for blood. We didn't need to cut back to them so often though.

I wish case 2 was also with Phoenix because I'm really interested in seeing more of Khura'in and where the story goes there, but having Trucy play a huge part in the case is really nice after she got shunted off to the side in the last game. Plus Apollo and Athena are just such great characters that I can't hate seeing them again. Same with Ema.

Also, I'm surprised how different the general impressions/reviews have been from the import impressions/reviews. Japanese speakers didn't seem to regard the game nearly as highly.

While the game is much better than I was expecting and I had more fun than I thought I would, I'm still fairly tepid on it. I'm certainly not cynical enough to consider the series "dead" but I did need to compromise some of my expectations for this and for future games to enjoy them. As I've stated before, I'm enjoying them more for the theatrics, spectacle and flair and less for character drama and compelling mysteries.

The simplest example of this is the zaniness of the character animations, specifically the "transformations" nearly every character does now. Sure, it's entertaining and goofy fun to watch these people toy around with their props and new clothes, but the characters are being defined by their goofiness instead of the characters themselves. It's silly that mugs of coffee slide to Godot, but that animation nor his coffee metaphors define him as a character. That's why Case 3 stood out so much to me and was the real highlight of the game because while the killer had comedic animations, it was the person itself that was compelling and memorable.

mrmickfran

Capcom, the animations in this game are fantastic, and you should be proud of that.

But, I would be lying if I said that they didn't slow down the game considerably.

Especially in the DLC case.

Randdalf

Capcom, the animations in this game are fantastic, and you should be proud of that.

But, I would be lying if I said that they didn't slow down the game considerably.

Uendo's animations were probably my favourite. Now that they're not constrained by 2D sprites, they've just let loose on the animation front.

FluxWaveZ

I feel they're usually good about pacing them so that they don't feel overbearing, but Ellen did indeed pass a breaking point.

there's definitely been a few times i've been dissuaded from presenting random evidence to characters simply because their animation takes too long to skip through

so that should be looked into

mrmickfran

Uendo's animations were probably my favourite. Now that they're not constrained by 2D sprites, they've just let loose on the animation front.

Yeah, Uendo's animations were fantastic. Some of the animations in the game are a bit too long though.

I feel they're usually good about pacing them so that they don't feel overbearing, but Ellen did indeed pass a breaking point.

Only on trial Day 1 and I already dislike her just because of long her animations are.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hated Ellen's animations and general character. She fit the bill for "token overly annoying AA character," at least for me. Cooking with a frying pan and cleaning the window? Come on. It almost made me actively angry how stupid that was. On the other hand I absolutely loved Sorin's, especially his ultra fast pen clicking animation.

graywords

Think what time
the explosion was at.

This seance bit stumped me and bugged me a bit, too...
I was not focusing at all on the time, because it seemed to me like Datz had gotten his new toy and could've been wandering around exploding things and laughing like a goofball at any time during the whole hour-long time period, or even beyond.

I think he had some run-ins with the police that day too, but can't remember for certain, so maybe he couldn't have been there the whole time, or something? Not sure.

Smellycat

I am kind of stuck. I am going through case 4 and currently
trying to show that split personality dude got drunk
but I am not sure how. I tried pointing at the
sake bottle and that prompted a new statement, but there is nothing I have that shows that he ingested sake.

FluxWaveZ

I am kind of stuck. I am going through case 4 and currently
trying to show that split personality dude got drunk
but I am not sure how. I tried pointing at the
sake bottle and that prompted a new statement, but there is nothing I have that shows that he ingested sake.

There's only one other thing that could be ingested in the image you're looking at, if I think I know where you are. Consider the brand of sake and a piece of evidence that would correspond to it.

The straight up answer would be:
Point to the buns (or chocolates or whatever they were) and then select the note in your evidence when prompted.

Smellycat

There's only one other thing that could be ingested in the image you're looking at, if I think I know where you are. Consider the brand of sake and a piece of evidence that would correspond to it.

The straight up answer would be:
Point to the buns (or chocolates or whatever they were) and then select the note in your evidence when prompted.

:|

Thanks. That threw me for a loop. I knew it was the
sweet thing the ate and I tried to point to it and Athena kept saying that the victim got hit with it and I went WTF

I tried to present
the picture of the murder scene and then I figured I would be able to point to the sweet thing after I present it. Seems like a reach having to present the wrapping paper wtf

spiritfox

:|

Thanks. That threw me for a loop. I knew it was the
sweet thing the ate and I tried to point to it and Athena kept saying that the victim got hit with it and I went WTF

I tried to present
the picture of the murder scene and then I figured I would be able to point to the sweet thing after I present it. Seems like a reach having to present the wrapping paper wtf

Yeah that present was pretty bad.

NEO0MJ

You should have the option to just add "the needed amount" when you go to buy it.

Not from the US but I use an American account so I have to buy from middlemen who sell codes. If I try to use my card they'll block me based on my IP address. Same thing applies to PSN as well.

Morts

Still chugging through Case 5, just started
the seance.
Also the
queen being the prosecutor was a cool twist.
I don't know why this case is taking me so long though. I'm taking a lot of breaks.

rekameohs

Banned
Dang, Case 5 has like an entire game's worth of plot crammed in it, and I don't even know how much I have left.

Case 5, Day 2 trial part 2:
Dhurke actually being dead the whole time
might be the best plot twist that Ace Attorney's pulled off yet.

Still chugging through Case 5, just started
the seance.
Also the
queen being the prosecutor was a cool twist.
I don't know why this case is taking me so long though. I'm taking a lot of breaks.
Yeah, I've been progressing through this game really slowly. Not that it's bad or anything, I just can't play it in very long spurts.

Top Bottom