• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photoshopped Ryse Shots from Xbox.com

QaaQer

Glad to see the art of the bullshot is alive and well, even if it is a bit ham-fisted and suassage-fingered in parts:

Untitled-1_zps3941a12a.jpg

I like the general clean up and more cinematic lighting, looks way better. They didn't do a good job with fixing the clipping of the armor though:

If anyone wants to take a crack at making a better bullshot than the MS photoshop guys, here is the original (at least I think it is):

[pix from the edge thread, non of the above was my work, so all credit/blame goes to the original posters]

Tomcat

op thought he had another bad news xbox one 50 page thread in his hands. sorry but you wont get it that far with this.

Anteater

So they touched up the pictures to make them look nicer, that's cool.

Edit: I think he's done an ok job, if that's what you're asking, he just clean it up a bit and made the contrast better, it's much better than the over sharpening some do with their screenshots.

Frillen

op thought he had another bad news xbox one 50 page thread in his hands. sorry but you wont get it that far with this.

Yeah, and then acting like no one else does this. Sony does it, Ubisoft does it, everyone does it. So we're going to make a thread for every single company that bullshots their games? That's a lot of threads.

Horp

What a bunch of terrible posts above me in this thread...
"A shit on microsoft thread" ??
"I can't really tell the difference" ??

You don't get it? It's a photoshopped screenshot. It's a fake. I've heard of downsampling and adding a bit extra anti-aliasing when doing still renders for games to promote them, but this is a whole new level. Are you ok with this? Where will this lead us? Where do you draw the line?

No more faking. If you show a screenshot and say its in-game, then it should be in game. With glitches, bad IQ and aliasing. Cause that's how the game looks.

Seriously, this is a non-issue.
Et tu, Brute?

Finalizer

This is splitting hairs territory.

I mean, it'd be nice if we weren't typically fed bullshots and the like, but given the situation regarding that, this in particular really isn't anything.

Anteater

It kind of just looks like one has a better resizing job and the other one didn't and has jaggies, not that much of a photoshop...

Edit: oh I see the clipping now :eek:

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This they could just adjust that shoulder armor piece a couple of mm and render the image again or photo shop it.

That's exactly the point. It is ridiculous to assume that Crytek won't fix such minor things before release. Most probably, the guy who took the screenshots just overlook the clipping. The guy responsible for the promo material noticed it and made a quick fix, instead of calling somebody at Crytek, ask them to do the work again, and wait days for a fixed version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it common that screenshots are touched up this much? A but of tweaking/supersampling for print I can understand, but changing the colouring/lighting and editing out flaws seems a bit of a step too far and misrepresents the product

KKRT00

I dont think its photoshop, it was probably just re-rendered again. At least if we are talking about my comparison. I dont know about Xbox.com version.

Dusky

Gemüsepizza;82093633 said:
Well if there is clipping in one picture, in a picture which they did choose for presentation purposes, how much clipping is there in other scenes?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of clipping in Ryse. Games with elaborate armor tend to have lots of clipping on character models.

As for the "big deal" I was referring to the whole touching up the original image for promotion purposes. It's not like it's an uncommon practice.

i-Lo

People spend time analyzing this? Damn...

I can't see a difference?

/Thread backfire

Really dude? This is what it has come to?

thisisneogaf.gif

Amazing responses.

Aren't we dealing with Bullshots for every game? What's the difference here?

The only difference is that while a game looks better in motion (the reason given for super sampled bullshots), clipping is fundamental flaw that is an eye sore in still and motion.

What surprises me is that given it was an old build, why couldn't crytek just re-render the same segment with updated version and re-release the screenshot.

I dont think its photoshop, it was probably just re-rendered again. At least if we are talking about my comparison. I dont know about Xbox.com version.

What and material's surface characteristics change that drastically?

Top Bottom