• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photoshopped Ryse Shots from Xbox.com

Mael

It's a shitty practice, showing bullshots instead of the real deal.

Never forget...
HPlCixs.jpg

Yeah don't give a caption or even context, that'll help us remember...

QaaQer

What a bunch of terrible posts above me in this thread...
"A shit on microsoft thread" ??
"I can't really tell the difference" ??

You don't get it? It's a photoshopped screenshot. It's a fake. I've heard of downsampling and adding a bit extra anti-aliasing when doing still renders for games to promote them, but this is a whole new level. Are you ok with this? Where will this lead us? Where do you draw the line?

No more faking. If you show a screenshot and say its in-game, then it should be in game. With glitches, bad IQ and aliasing. Cause that's how the game looks.

Et tu, Brute?

If you aren't cheating you aren't competing, or something like that.

I think Israel is the only country to actually care about truth in imagry. http://www.ibtimes.com/supermodels-without-photoshop-israels-photoshop-law-puts-focus-digitally-altered-images-photos

I always look at the necks on female models in cosmetic ads and laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U

angrygnat

IMO games look like crap alot of times when they are shown as just a clip. Seeing it in motion, is the only way to judge how its gonna look. So if they have to spruce it up a little to make the screenshot presentable, I'm ok with that. It's when you showcase one version of a game and are given something completely different at retail. Like what happened with, Colonial Marines. That stuff is inexcusable.

Anteater

It's a shitty practice, showing bullshots instead of the real deal.

Never forget...

Exactly the same frame from the game? Lol, nah.

adding extra stuff is silly but I don't think it's that bad for touching up screenshots, either they do that or they go back to the game and take better screenshots that doesn't show the clippings.

Mael

Let's not lose sight of the objective here.
It's a shop thread and there's not a single shop!
come on!

This is some next gen trolling and the bad kind no jifs i expected better.

If fanboys go even further they are approaching alien conspiracy level of trolling.

Krilekk

Banned
Yeah don't give a caption or even context, that'll help us remember...

They put the default Photoshop lensflare effect on the screenshot AFAIR. It was a huge thing back then but nowadays nobody would care. Lensflares were a next gen thing back then, now we have 500 gazillion lensflares in Star Trek Into Darkness.

I don't know why some people here want to make a console-war thing out of this, can't we just agree that this is a shitty practice no matter on which system a game is? This is just a very good example because we have a before/after comparison...

bj00rn_

Banned
What do you want? A medal?

There's literally hundreds of screenshots posted on gaf every day with various forms of "pr-shop", usually through downsampling. It isn't a MS/Ryse issue per se.

KKRT00

What and material's surface characteristics change that drastically?

Its hard to judge with this quality of shading really.

What is more strange are some outlines around end of this stripe that looks like reflected part from upper armor. But why fix that stripe and two other minor things in image, zoom it in and do not change other clipping bugs?

szaromir

Banned
Glad to see the art of the bullshot is alive and well, even if it is a bit ham-fisted and suassage-fingered in parts:
I like the general clean up and more cinematic lighting, looks way better. They didn't do a good job with fixing the clipping of the armor though:
If anyone wants to take a crack at making a better bullshot than the MS photoshop guys, here is the original (at least I think it is):
[pix from the edge thread, non of the above was my work, so all credit/blame goes to the original posters]

Joemoe

Neo Member
I guess they gave up on the leather straps.

The armor clipping isn't the only issue. There's some sort of texture bug right above it that was also edited out (but is still present in the recent gameplay video).

MaLDo

I dont think its photoshop, it was probably just re-rendered again. At least if we are talking about my comparison. I dont know about Xbox.com version.

It's clearly photoshoped. And the most funny thing is that the "original" screenshot is photoshoped too. They "fix" the most visible clipping in the "original" shot and then work again with photoshop to clean more clipping in the second one (in fact, third one).

Those clipping artifacts are very difficult to fix in retail game because is a combination of model and motion capture. If dev change mocap keys to avoid clipping, final animation could be "wrong". If they change armor mesh, could be visually wrong too.

nib95

Banned
I dont think its photoshop, it was probably just re-rendered again. At least if we are talking about my comparison. I dont know about Xbox.com version.

Definitely photoshopped. You can see the mono tone grey paint over pretty clearly.

Not a big deal though, guessing it'll be sorted before the final game is released anyway.

Coolwhip

Banned
Sadly this is normal in the gaming industry. I dare you to look up actual in game screenshots of all launchgames for Xbone and PS4.

Jburton

Banned
does this keep you awake at night op ?
getting a tad bit ridiculous now

I can't understand why people are attacking the OP, he / she noticed something and made a thread.

Whether you think it is something of merit or deserving of attention is one thing, attacking somebody for making a thread is another.

The salty butt hurt being displayed on both sides of the divide is ridiculous.

consoul

I support calling shenanigans on bullshots at every opportunity.

Yes, it happens all the time, but that doesn't mean we should happily accept the false representation of these images as 'screenshots'.

Radec

I guess they gave up on the leather straps.

The armor clipping isn't the only issue. There's some sort of texture bug right above it that was also edited out (but is still present in the recent gameplay video).

Dynamic Weather Confirmed.

MaLDo

and people are arguing this on the ryse thread,they put PR bullshots of models to make valid points..lol

News are not the existence of a Ryse bullshot using photoshop. News are how incredibly bad they are using photoshop. I can do better with eyes closed.

Bull shots are pretty bad. They're just lies.

On the other hand, it's not like this game needs bull shots. Hell, in motion in looks phenomenal (isn't it pretty much running Cryengine 3.5 on high with some very high effects thrown in?). But, still poor form on the picture.

(Does anyone else think the lighting looks slightly better in the unshopped pic? Just me?)

gaming_noob

I retract this post. I was looking at the images on my iphone this morning and the photoshopped one appeared to be MUCH better. Now that I'm viewing it on a monitor I prefer the original "untouched" image.

Top Bottom