• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photoshopped Ryse Shots from Xbox.com

Pathetic they would do this to a game like Ryse, this doesnt need bullshot treatment.

Its easier to let an Microsoft pr intern photo shop the strap away.
Then to contact Crytek let their artist fix it and render that shot again and mail it back to Redmond. Crytek and the rest of the launch game teams are probably in full grind mode right now for launch release.

Derrick01

Banned
Arguing over a very slight bullshot for a game who's gameplay is going to make god of war look like bayonetta seems like a wise use of one's time.

I think we should let this one slide guys.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
At least clipping in a cutscene can be fixed in the actual game. No amount of effort if going to make the 4k resolution we have seen in other game screenshots happen.

rager

Banned
ppH42uSa.jpg

Look at character eyes and forehead. Lighting and selfshadowing is completely different.

I bet this is just a different build.

Was going to say the same thing. Also there are other small and less obvious irregularities between the two, like one on the left guys arm that is shaking hands.

This is a huge stretch honestly to prove, and if anything makes the thread and supporters sorta looks console warish IMO.

BibiMaghoo

While I do not like being mislead, I cannot say in good faith this is the case here.

I mean, wouldn't you touch up that shot, taken from a game that is not complete, knowing it would be used as example media?

I would, and not to deceive gamers, but to better present the work that had been done. I don't think this is a case of 'lets hide it from the gamers' and more a 'can you just touch that up a bit as it will be on all the media sites, and we want to look professional'.

From the Edge PS4/Xbone thread:

Ignored this thread mostly because I thought I could guess how stupid it could become. Then, out of curiosity, I poke my head in and find dudes blowing up a single frame of a pick to prove it was Photoshoped to hide clipping on an Xbone game. I don't know if it was or wasn't, if I had to guess I'd say it was, either way it doesn't make a lick of difference about anything at all. That being said, I know someone believes there's some scandal or winning going on here so by all means continue.

what psychological need is fulfilled by coming in to a discussion to tell people how stupid they are for having a particular interest in something? I guess I'm asking if that post made you feel better about yourself?

*pokes head in*

So clearly you thought you had a scandal here or that this same post in the Edge thread was "winning" because you went ahead and made a whole new thread about it.

*looks around*

Judging by most of the comments here it doesn't look like much winning is going on but as I said before, by all means continue. A bunny's gotta do what a bunny's gotta do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nearly every PR screenshot is shopped or altered in some way. This is just a rare case where we have the footage to compare it directly. Nothing any more shady about this than bullshots usually are.

Z_Y

Thanks for the heads up, OP. I have cancelled my XB1 pre-order. I've also cancelled all of my neighbors' XB1 pre-orders just to be safe.

mephixto

Banned
Photoshop Peoples...

Can someone fix the clipping in this for me?

i094B2DtzXu7G.png

Thanks

Not fair cause that screenshot was taken from a uber compressed youtube video with poor quality also it's pre pre pre alpha code at 30%. We know you have an agenda!!! .

/fanboyrant

BibiMaghoo

Only difference I see is that there's way more aliasing in the original.

Look at the strap on the right soldiers left arm. In one picture it goes beneath the armor. In the other, it moves through it / over it, hence clipping.

The difference is clear. The shot has been tampered with. How much this matters to anything is another story.

This is just a personal opinion, I absolutely despise bullshots, the very fact that such a thing exists and that it's such a common practice.

Ryse looks pretty great visually regardless, so if someone down the line made a call to use the original image in promotional purposes, that's perfectly OK. It's a game, things like polygon clipping are common. If it's really that troublesome to have this shot, just remove it, don't brush over the problematic bits in Photoshop ffs.

For me, the practice of showing doctored images of ingame shots (in any degree) is worrisome and has lead to bullshots being a common thing which is terrible, really. Has nothing to do with the platform or the game, at least in my case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do people not realize almost every single picture of games for the new consoles at this point at bullshots? C'mon....

I realised images were often supersampled etc but I honestly didn't know it was common practice to add actual stuff to images to make them look better.

Gemüsepizza;82093633 said:
Well if there is clipping in one picture, in a picture which they did choose for presentation purposes, how much clipping is there in other scenes?

Obviously there's millions of examples of clipping in this game. Obviously.

Silly thread. Another embarrassment for GAF

Twio

Not a huge deal. It'd be naive to say that MS is the only company that does this. The Photoshop is fucking horrible though.

QaaQer

This is just a personal opinion, I absolutely despise bullshots, the very fact that such a thing exists and that it's such a common practice.

Ryse looks pretty great visually regardless, so if someone down the line made a call to use the original image in promotional purposes, that's perfectly OK. It's a game, things like polygon clipping are common. If it's really that troublesome to have this shot, just remove it, don't brush over the problematic bits in Photoshop ffs.

For me, the practice of showing doctored images of ingame shots (in any degree) is worrisome and has lead to bullshots being a common thing which is terrible, really. Has nothing to do with the platform or the game, at least in my case.

It leads to cynicism. Game marketing is shit. I think it took me 3 years of being played like a dancing monkey before the hype part of my brain was burnt out like Detroit neighborhood. I can't even get excited for GTAV, heh.

Photoshopper went as far as to add detailed skin folds at neck that weren't visible at all in the original shot.

It's obviously just a difference in the shadow.

It leads to cynicism. Game marketing is shit. I think it took me 3 years of being played like a dancing monkey before the hype part of my brain was burnt out like Detroit neighborhood. I can't even get excited for GTAV, heh.

That's not a good indication of your cynicism.

Obviously there's millions of examples of clipping in this game. Obviously.

Silly thread. Another embarrassment for GAF

get over yourself, there have been and will be much worse threads on Gaf (truth be told, i didn't think full on photoshopping was part of the bullshot process..so i gained a new wrinkle.) to call any single thread an embarrassment to a site as huge as Gaf is laughable.

Sushen

Nearly every PR screenshot is shopped or altered in some way. This is just a rare case where we have the footage to compare it directly. Nothing any more shady about this than bullshots usually are.
How do you know that everyone does it for sure? Is that your job to handle those? Do you have a list of games that you can name?

Top Bottom