• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games all the way

Physical or Digital

• Total voters

Impotaku

LOL yeah heard this mythical proposition before where they magically release a system update to force all physical games to cease functioning. Never gonna happen you have to make this fantasy real to make your argument work against physical, there's already digital games now that have been taken off all stores that have physical counterparts already out in peoples libraries that still work fine. If a console dies or gets banned you can just buy another and keep using your games i speak from the side of a Nintendo user as they are the only ones providing games fully functioning not just an install disk where you have to connect & download the rest. Digital games are tied to an account, if that accunt gets banned you are fucked no new console will save you.

This is why Nintendo is still great in this regard, as much as they have shitty practises least they still don't release install disks. I certainly wouldn't trust any of the 3 going digital only, any game i buy digital of i treat as a rental and keep a look out of a limited companiy to convert it to physical. On sony i treat my PS4 collection as mostly disposable as a lot of them needed updates to fix all the shit that wasnt finished in time. Thankfully the indie stuff tends to be all on the disk.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Well considering the 1.0 version works, you can delete it, disconnect internet and reinstall without patching.... although very not ideal
Very far from ideal, especially with how some 1.0 versions are nowadays. Not to mention this solution only accounts for game updates, not system-wide ones.

Alternatively, you could hack your console and play pirated versions, or download patches off the the internet.

In the end, if you wanna keep your games without publishers or console-makers meddling, it all comes down to how easy its to pirate them, as its the only way for you to overturn unilateral corporate decision-making. Physical or digital copies don't really matter in this equation, much like how its perfectly possible to remotely stop a tractor from working. Thats the unfortunate reality of the modern world.

Guilty_AI

LOL yeah heard this mythical proposition before where they magically release a system update to force all physical games to cease functioning. Never gonna happen
Boy, i sure hope so.

Just as reference, we already have real life cases of vehicles that were made to stop working remotely.

Digital games are tied to an account, if that accunt gets banned you are fucked no new console will save you.
Not necessarely. This seems to be the biggest factor anti-digital advocates misunderstand.

Last edited:
Just two new pick ups this past week, Neon White for the Switch and Valkyria Chronicles 4 for the PS4. I've been looking forward the whole summer to get my hands on the physical release of Neon White so I'm happy that the wait is finally over lol. As for Valkyria Chronicles 4, I've picked it up mostly for the collection, but I do plan on visiting it probably sometime next year.

20230916_155529.jpg
Forgot to mention that I also snagged a used copy of Don't Starve for €10. Heard only good things about it.

20230917_175503.jpg

A few more pickups this week, including the one I've been waiting ages to get, FF Pixel Remaster. Paid a pretty penny for it but I'm just glad that I finally have it in my Switch collection.

Also grabbed the Scorn physical deluxe which launched earlier this week; the steelbook is really "pretty" in a grotesque gigeresque way, but I really wish this deluxe version also came with a physical artbook. I guess, I'll have to be content with just the digital artbook. Besides that, I've also grabbed AC:Mirage and a PS4 exclusive anime game named Sakura Wars as I heard it's really fun and got it cheap for just €10 new.

20231007_112503.jpg
20231005_104801.jpg

My game pickups for this week. I've been meaning to get into the various Gust Atelier trilogies for some time now so I started picking them up while they're still readily available. I'd like to start with the first Atelier Ryza, but it's very hard to find it here locally so I might have to import it from VGP (same for Atelier Ryza 2). Plan on picking up Atelier Sophie 2 as well very soon since I heard it's a very good entry point into the Atelier series. Oh and yeah, also got the recently released Lords of the Fallen; got it for €50 while it's fricking €80 on PSN. But let's kill physical games and just rely on PSN as the single means of distribution for PlayStation games amirite guys!?!?

20231014_142742.jpg

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Since we're at it, here's another one I found for 10€ at the same store. Beautiful edition of The Witcher Enhanced Edition with tons of extra.

uaaKUux.jpg

pSHVkt4.jpg

D2ipVpd.jpg

I collected physical consoles games in and out in the last few years but always gave up due to how much space it quickly takes and also because of the crazy rise in price for lots of console games. Recently I started collecting PC Physical games here and there. You often have beautiful collectors edition and best of all, people tend to sell them for really cheap since there's not a lot of PC Physical collectors out there. Gonna get myself that classic Final Fantasy 7 big box edition from the 90' one day. This is 100% a shelf collecting hobby at this point since I play all my game on Steam but I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

When growing up, I've have had my house broken into twice, in two different locations; I've had to format my computer probably hundreds of times lol, and had accounts stolen from phishing attacks, so I've grown to not have a strong attachments to things.

I've gone completely digital for my gaming library, but I still have a disc drive ps5 in case I get a game as a gift. I like the convenience of not having to get up and manually changing games, going to a store or waiting on shipping. My only fear is being banned from psn and losing access to my library. I acknowledge I could probably save money buying games and selling them afterwards, but games go on sale enough in digital stores, I don't feel the need.

I hope physical games will continue to be available to people that want them and for gift giving.

Midn1ght

Whoa

That had a physical release???
Yes, I wish they did the same physical release for Inside but that one is only available physically on consoles.

You'd be surprise by the game that get physical release on PC sometimes. Here's a crazy PC collector edition of Detroit Become Humans I wish I had:

s-l1200.webp

f-scaled.jpg

And very rarely you also get Japanese Visual novels physically like this one:

s-l1200.jpg

Right now I'm looking for a decent price for the PC physical release of Machinarium, probably my favorite point & click of all time.

91kDc6GFPQL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Was it on the shitty rushed ET game?
I hate that every millennial has been tricked into thinking ET was a bad game. I owned it and loved it. My friends enjoyed it. You had to actually read the manual and spend some time figuring things out. Raiders of the Lost Ark was the same.

Eiknarf

I hate that every millennial has been tricked into thinking ET was a bad game. I owned it and loved it. My friends enjoyed it. You had to actually read the manual and spend some time figuring things out. Raiders of the Lost Ark was the same.
I’m 52.
No millenial

I had almost every Atari game.. and ET sucked

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Yes, I wish they did the same physical release for Inside but that one is only available physically on consoles.

You'd be surprise by the game that get physical release on PC sometimes. Here's a crazy PC collector edition of Detroit Become Humans I wish I had:

s-l1200.webp

f-scaled.jpg

And very rarely you also get Japanese Visual novels physically like this one:

s-l1200.jpg

Right now I'm looking for a decent price for the PC physical release of Machinarium, probably my favorite point & click of all time.

91kDc6GFPQL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Loving that Detroit Become Human collectors edition model and boxset!

RoboFu

One of the green rats

The dev revoked everyones key.

Hello,I am the developer of this game. I am so sorry about cancelling the keys and removing the content. But I had trouble with police more than 5 years because of this game. I am done dealing with these people. They ruined my life and they did everything to shame me.There is a game "Blue Whale". It is a suicide game and this game is not about this game and it does not have something like suicide but the police is ignorant and the government is authoritarian in Turkey. This game has a whale character and these people attack me because of this reason.I removed this game from the Steam Store years ago . I gave your game in the past. Removing it from Steam changes nothing about me. I could still keep it here. But police is coming because of this reason over and over again. I have never commit a crime in my life. But they call me because of this reason. I don't want to see these people anymore.What will happen:The game will never return unless Valve fix it. I don't want to deal with these people anymore and I want them to leave my life. They are still taking screenshots and they try to make shame me on the other websites.The laws are broken enough. I did this. Because I wanted to say them "Go away".

lol what!?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
My latest pickup! Wanted DS trilogy for some time.
Never played ds3 on ps4 or ps5.
ds1 and 2 I also only played on 360 and pc.
I quickly launched DS3 and man!!! Does it look good. Fantastic art and geometry. Imo looks on par or better than elden ring. Better than Lies of P even.
It's smooth silky 60fps. Only 1080p though. I famished ds3 on pc on a 4k monitor few years back. This was always my 4k monitors testing game because it's sharpness is fantastic.
So I was afraid, it will look terible at 1080p... and yes,, while it is VERY jagged, I kinda like the raw look and I think, bloom and depth of field effects look better at 1080p... am I totally wrong? reinstalling pc version to compare.
edit: By that I mean that bloom/dof often get weaker linearly with resolution. I just installed steam ds3 and it still looks great and I think some DOF indeed is lost but it's so sharp. I also noticed that control are more laggy than on ps5. Fine in windowed mode but laggy in fullscreen. Strange. It's gsynced 60fps(120hz screen). Maybe I am imagining

That said - I might just replay it on ps5 why not.
My souls collection is growing !
PkW7odm.jpg

FhnR8TZ.jpg

MoaMrqD.jpg

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Here's my take on physical v digital, and it's a point that I haven't really seen come up much.

If physical disappears, and it's digital only, I'm just flat out not going to take a chance on as many games. I'll buy less games. I'll only ever buy sure things that I know I'm going to like.
I probably buy about 10 games a year at the moment. Looking at the games I've bought this year, and last year, if I could only buy digital, I reckon I'll drop down to about half of that to about 5 games a year, if that.

Good old: "Am I alone / Am I the only one?"

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Here's my take on physical v digital, and it's a point that I haven't really seen come up much.

If physical disappears, and it's digital only, I'm just flat out not going to take a chance on as many games. I'll buy less games. I'll only ever buy sure things that I know I'm going to like.
I probably buy about 10 games a year at the moment. Looking at the games I've bought this year, and last year, if I could only buy digital, I reckon I'll drop down to about half of that to about 5 games a year, if that.

Good old: "Am I alone / Am I the only one?"
Good point. Physical is cheaper and you can take the risk. If anything, it fills the shelf nicely.

I am recently starting to have this irrational fomo feeling that I am buying all new games physical and it’s almost certain in the future, digital library will have more use because consoles won’t have disc drives.
So then when I will want to rebuy my library on psn, some games will not be sold anymore and I am out of luck.

Like, someone who bought driveclub and it’s dlc on psn may have it forever and I will have it never. And sure, I got the disc but what good will it make me in the future?

Jest a thought. Not sure if I am getting it through. I love physical and I would not want my games attached to psn account that I have 0 control over but it is what it is

Haven't managed to snag many new games these past two weeks and even one my orders got delayed to early next month... However, I'm still happy with the two ones I got (e.g. Spider-Man 2 which I snagged for around €60 here locally and an imported copy of Robotics;Notes from Amazon Spain that cost me €30).

20231026_114815.jpg
20231020_120609.jpg

Last edited:
My latest pickup! Wanted DS trilogy for some time.
Never played ds3 on ps4 or ps5.
ds1 and 2 I also only played on 360 and pc.
I quickly launched DS3 and man!!! Does it look good. Fantastic art and geometry. Imo looks on par or better than elden ring. Better than Lies of P even.
It's smooth silky 60fps. Only 1080p though. I famished ds3 on pc on a 4k monitor few years back. This was always my 4k monitors testing game because it's sharpness is fantastic.
So I was afraid, it will look terible at 1080p... and yes,, while it is VERY jagged, I kinda like the raw look and I think, bloom and depth of field effects look better at 1080p... am I totally wrong? reinstalling pc version to compare.
edit: By that I mean that bloom/dof often get weaker linearly with resolution. I just installed steam ds3 and it still looks great and I think some DOF indeed is lost but it's so sharp. I also noticed that control are more laggy than on ps5. Fine in windowed mode but laggy in fullscreen. Strange. It's gsynced 60fps(120hz screen). Maybe I am imagining

That said - I might just replay it on ps5 why not.
My souls collection is growing !
PkW7odm.jpg

FhnR8TZ.jpg

MoaMrqD.jpg
This Dark Souls Trilogy physical bundle for both PS4 and Xbox is a steal as it can be usually found around €30 at specialized game retailers across Europe. Much cheaper than digital, btw! 😏

My brothers, I have strayed the true path. I purchased a digital game on PSN. I bought Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. It was only $24, which is half the price of the physical disc, and it allowed me to play instantly.

I am also eyeing Memories of Celceta, but the physical edition is very tempting with all the extra goodies you get. The problem is that the digital version is $20, while grabbing a physical copy from ebay would be around $80 with shipping.

rofif

Banned
My brothers, I have strayed the true path. I purchased a digital game on PSN. I bought Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. It was only $24, which is half the price of the physical disc, and it allowed me to play instantly.

I am also eyeing Memories of Celceta, but the physical edition is very tempting with all the extra goodies you get. The problem is that the digital version is $20, while grabbing a physical copy from ebay would be around $80 with shipping.
And I’ve got Alan wake 1 and 2 on psn… we are done for

Did the same thing with Ys VIII on Switch. Couldn't see paying a ton for a physical copy. I'm also getting My Time at Sandrock digitally on Xbox. Don't kill me.

For switch I go physical when possible. Only when the game is on the cart. Some companies are bitches about that I picked up mgs cold digital due to this. They couldn't even put mgs2 and 3 on the cart (vita had it) and only put the old msx games on the cart for 2.4gb. Yet they charge full price.

It's also good for switch games you don't play as often. For ps5 games anymore it's digital as it's not run off the disk.

BootsLoader

Banned
There is no better feeling than watching your physical games sorted beautifully in your library, remembering the good times and experiences you had with them. It’s not only the “I can resell“ or “I can trade“ physical games. It’s more than that, much more.

Physical for as long as possible. I'am not opposed to digital but ideally on a discount.

Got a £50 game voucher for a Birthday present returned FF16 and Control for 30 quid. Got Spider-Man 2 for £0 and still have £10 to spare feels good🙂

That and Square Enix deserve 1 less sale for FF16.

Used games are one the few ways we can financially affect company if we're displeased with there products. Digital they got your money whether you love or hate it.

NIS America (the publisher in the west for the Ys series) are pretty insane with the pricing on their western localized JRPG ports (and some other re-releases too) as they rarely go on a decent sale (talking about the physical SKUs). Still hoping the PS5 ports will get down in price in my region cuz I want them in my collection. XD

By the way, the standard PS5 physical release of YS VIII comes with some cool goodies (mini artbook and soundtrack on CD), but if you don't care about that then you made a good choice by going with the cheaper digital version.

Sleepwalker

I mean the purpose of Internet forums aren't to give your opinion ? It is what he did.

Anyway, Alan Wake II is the GOTY.

Its a joke on how physical games are a thing of the past and should be "let go"

But the same is happening to internet forums such as the one we are discussing on and therefore should also be "let go" :p

Not much more to it.

Sleepwalker

And I’ve got Alan wake 1 and 2 on psn… we are done for

Did the same thing with Ys VIII on Switch. Couldn't see paying a ton for a physical copy. I'm also getting My Time at Sandrock digitally on Xbox. Don't kill me.

It do be like that sometimes, for we may stumble on the path but hopefully not stray too far away.

f9b475323e6978e7d191c2585a6de514-png.jpg

Double ooof for me, digital and EGS.

Yeah, AW2 has been the only full price digital game I've bought since the start of this console generation and hopefully it stays that way as I prefer my AAA games either on disc (PS4/PS5) or on cart (Switch and hopefully Switch 2 in the not so distant future).

Anyway, new week new game pickups. Should have been 5 here, however 2 of my preorders (Star Ocean Second Story R and The Silent Swan Rising - an indie walking sim) have been delayed to next week. All 3 of them cost me just €30 so long live physical games. :messenger_sunglasses:

20231104_120509.jpg

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
People who run around buying physical very often like to.post about how cheap it was vs the digital on.that particular week, ignoring the historical price and other sales that digital has had.

Look, I got x game for $39.99 and it was wayyyyy cheaper than the e-store at 59.99.

Meanwhile, said game was $39.99 on the e-store two weeks prior while the physical was $59.99. But let's just ignore that.

Regardless of the above, most of the time, they are the same price.

Each has its own benefits. I suspect physical will be completely gone by 2050, despite the protests of many on here because each generation of kids growing up now could care less about physical. And pc users haven't cared for 20 years.

Which actually makes me think of how cool.some of the pc physical boxes where since they had no.standard form factor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom