• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games all the way

Physical or Digital

• Total voters
I have some PC game DVDs, but I can't play them because my current setup doesn't have a DVD-ROM🤷‍♂️ I can't imagine floppy disc collectioners.
I just realized that I don’t own any PC games on DVD. I stopped playing on PC sometime around 2005. I didn’t return until 2021 and have used Steam since.

I have a plastic tote in storage with all my PC games. I bought my first PC in 1995, so all of my games are on CD. I did own a few games on floppy disk, but there was a computer shop in my town that took trade-ins on PC games, so they ended up there.

Just picked up one of the best roguelike games ever released including the new Castlevania DLC for €10 (everything is on disc, btw). You gotta love physical! :D

81RNb2hSfOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The Avatar game requiring Internet to install the disc is one more step towards what the digital folks have been saying forever, that it doesn't matter on console. If the corpo wants to fuck you, it's going to fuck you, and you'll be left wondering why the physical game refuses to load after the mandatory system update.

-Zelda-

Banned
Still extremely disappointed that Alan Wake 2 is not physical. I refuse to buy it on my own principles. No physical = no buy. Obviously the game developers do not care, but oh well. Don't care how good it is if it is not physical.

Digital allows much more freedom and convenience since you dont have to constantly change discs or spent time digging out discs from the shelf. You can just play any game you want with a few clicks.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Digital allows much more freedom and convenience since you dont have to constantly change discs or spent time digging out discs from the shelf. You can just play any game you want with a few clicks.

Digital allows less freedom for a very minor convenience boost.

Switching a disc or cart takes 2-6 seconds. Barely longer than scrolling to your digital game and starting it.

Meanwhile you are lucky if we get a heavily restricted share feature with digital at best. Can’t sell or trade the game, like you can with physical, and you are entirely reliant on a digital store that may not have a discount for years. You just end up gimping yourself with a digital only console.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s almost exactly the opposite.
While I agree that digital is comfortable to use and maybe if ps6 is digital only and bloodborne will be delisted and we will be stuck with out ps4 discs… then we will suffer.

But right now physical offers more freedom like Faust Faust explained.

I might add that you describing shelf full of games are riddling through bunch of trash is not really correct. Consider that your physical library is way more curated. Sure I might have 600 steam games but if I had these games on shelf, it would probably be 100 or so. Many games we just buy or claim to never play. It’s digital trash

Digital allows less freedom for a very minor convenience boost.

Switching a disc or cart takes 2-6 seconds. Barely longer than scrolling to your digital game and starting it.

Meanwhile you are lucky if we get a heavily restricted share feature with digital at best. Can’t sell or trade the game, like you can with physical, and you are entirely reliant on a digital store that may not have a discount for years. You just end up gimping yourself with a digital only console.

It depends on the setup. It takes like at least 10-15 seconds if you have all of your discs right next to the PS5 and the PS5 facing you rather than the wall. You have to spend time looking for the game case or disc out of all the ones you have, eject your current discs which takes a few seconds, put in the other disc and it takes another few seconds for the PS5 to take in the disc. Whereas with digital you can swap games in like four seconds. Nowhere near as much effort is required, you arent moving your arms or turning the light on to see the game cases(at night) or leaning in or anything like when you swap discs.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Wait. You get 2 steelbooks with deluxe ?!
I am having a hard time deciding this or that steelbook and you get 2 ?!
Gotta up my game.

FF XVI deluxe was very neat too. I like the cloth map and embossed steelbook!!!
ZSQXhF9.jpg

That one sold out when I bought it so I ended with the standard edition, really wanted the map and the steelbook too :messenger_persevering:

Yeah, I think the second steelbook is exclusive to Best Buy here in Canada/Usa

You get the regular steelbook and one with Tifa/Aerith

It depends on the setup. It takes like at least 10-15 seconds if you have all of your discs right next to the PS5 and the PS5 facing you rather than the wall. You have to spend time looking for the game case or disc out of all the ones you have, eject your current discs which takes a few seconds, put in the other disc and it takes another few seconds for the PS5 to take in the disc. Whereas with digital you can swap games in like four seconds. Nowhere near as much effort is required, you arent moving your arms or turning the light on to see the game cases(at night) or leaning in or anything like when you swap discs.
FFS how lazy are you, do you lay in a bed all day and piss yourself or something?
Unless you’re physically disabled then I guess it makes sense. Still, how is looking for a game in your own house somehow worse than trading away any ownership of your games?

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

10-15 seconds? It takes me 6-12 and that is to get up, walk to my wall of games, take out the game, put in in the drive.

Spending time looking for a game to play takes the exact same amount of time as it would with a digital library, if not less as a physical library doesn't require you to scroll to reach the S's. I just have to turn my head slightly and I will see them.

As for swapping games, that is entirely dependent on if you even have the game installed. Unlike with Physical, I can just look at my PS2 games, grab one, put it in the console, and immediately start playing. If I wanted to play a random Digital game, I would need to spend time downloading it and depending on the game, that could take 30 min to an hour.

If turning on a light is "too much work" for you, then...

Go_Ly_Dow

Over convenience for every facet of life isn't necessarily a good thing, I find that is quite the opposite personally. Spending a few seconds changing a game disc every once in a while, I never thought that would be an issue for some folks, but it appears it is....

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Over convenience for every facet of life isn't necessarily a good thing, I find that is quite the opposite personally. Spending a few seconds changing a game disc every once in a while, I never thought that would be an issue for some folks, but it appears it is....

Yep. Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Walk to work instead of driving (or ride a bike when possible). Make your own meal instead of ordering delivery.

Convenience can be nice, but it can also be a major detriment.

I’m really sorry… I’m very lazy…

This. I tried to stick with physical but my god I can't be asked to keep getting up to change games. God help me if it's one of those days I can't find anything I want to play and I have to keep changing the disc.

Going all digital I never have to get up to play games that's amazing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Aaanyway... I was doing some cleaning, so to lighten up the mood here is my small collection :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

dacc35c728eded04659746b2efa064cf.jpg

5212b5867e3ad6ef31df4398579188e5.jpg
That's an awesome collection. I need to re-organize mine and make it look nice, so I can post pics!

My problem is that I always try to alphabetize my games, but I have a bunch. When I add a new game it's "okay this goes in the B's near the top, so I've gotta shift every shelf by 1 to make room". So, what ends up happening is I get a new game and set it aside (so I can play it and have easy access to it), then usually only integrate those games into the collection once I'm done with them or every 6 months or so, whatever comes first! My current difficulty is that my Switch game shelf is now too small to hold all my games.

Yeah, I have a problem :messenger_sad_relieved:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As I mentioned above: this is my current "tower" of stuff I haven't sorted into my collection yet.

HB124zd.png

In particular, I'm really stoked with these:

DAR2rZZ.png

I love having physical copies of games that were previously only available for download. These are great too - all four games are on each of the cartridges, many include the latest updates already baked in.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
TF?? What world are you living in?
to be honest, media markt and other big retailers in my city never really started stocking ps5 games.
With ps4, I was able to get games on release day but not with ps5.
I am pre-ordering everything from smaller retailers online and often get the games day earlier.

to be honest, media markt and other big retailers in my city never really started stocking ps5 games.
With ps4, I was able to get games on release day but not with ps5.
I am pre-ordering everything from smaller retailers online and often get the games day earlier.
In the UK most supermarkets, Argos and Game I can just walk in and buy a physical copy.

Labadal

I just pre-ordered Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth and Unicorn Overlord.

Physical price for PS5: $103

Digital price for PS5:
At least $133

Since I am going to pre-order at least five games in 2024, it is 75% price that is the reason that I prefer physical. 25%is the ownership feeling.

MacReady13

Those extra 5 to 10 seconds to put in a physical disc as opposed to just switching to a digital title must be an absolute killer. My heart goes out to you for losing those extra seconds out of your day and having to move your body to start up a game. If there is any support you need please DM me on here and reach out bro. This shit is tough and I applaud you for having the guts to say something...

In other news, I'm loving some of the discounts I am finding for physical games on Amazon here in Australia. Endless Dungeon and Miasma Chronicles are both $29 each on Series X so I might pick them up today. Heard great things about both.

-Zelda-

Banned
So I know I have posted twice in this topic so far against digital only content, but I have to backtrack slightly. Are there any Original Tomb Raider fans in this topic reading this post? I think that if you are one of those, we need to not only buy but pre order the tomb raider original trilogy on whatever source we have to send a message to those producers and developers responsible for the Tomb Raider series that THIS is the Tomb Raider/Lara Croft we want, not the clinically depressed/psychotic "lara" from the newer trilogy.

I only go digital if it's a PS5 game on deep discount and I don't feel like waiting for it to arrive.

Anything full priced or on Switch I'm 100% physical. If I don't like a new game I want to be able to sell it for most of my money back. Nintendo games hold their value too well to ever go digital plus they just look nice on a shelf.

Never once considered digital to save 10 seconds of disc switching. That's so bizarre lol.

Sleepwalker

That's an awesome collection. I need to re-organize mine and make it look nice, so I can post pics!

My problem is that I always try to alphabetize my games, but I have a bunch. When I add a new game it's "okay this goes in the B's near the top, so I've gotta shift every shelf by 1 to make room". So, what ends up happening is I get a new game and set it aside (so I can play it and have easy access to it), then usually only integrate those games into the collection once I'm done with them or every 6 months or so, whatever comes first! My current difficulty is that my Switch game shelf is now too small to hold all my games.

Yeah, I have a problem :messenger_sad_relieved:
Thanks friend! I mostly got it all over the past year, before that I was mostly digital (lol I know) but after a couple account losses I decided to switch back to discs and never been happier. Also don't worry, I only took the pic because I was cleaning! But I also struggle with making it look nice, soon it will outgrow its current space lol. Do share whenever possible tho!

Go_Ly_Dow

Yep. Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Walk to work instead of driving (or ride a bike when possible). Make your own meal instead of ordering delivery.

Convenience can be nice, but it can also be a major detriment.
Yup, we have hands and feet for a reason and are built for stamina. Last time I checked, unless you have a physical impairment, then getting off a chair and changing a disc is something that a human should be capable of without it being difficult. Both mentally and physically :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Got a Series X last week and started picking up some Xbox One and 360 BC titles. I was quite surprised how cheap they were (spent around €40 on these 9 used Xbox games).

20231216_160237.jpg

I've also finally received some of the Switch pre-orders I've placed a while ago, including the European release of World of Horror ( Kupfer Kupfer :messenger_sunglasses:). Oh and snagged a physical copy of Journey for my collection, too (paid €20 for it)!

2023-12-16_16_07_39.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom