• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Gone Gold! Releasing March 26th

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I think I'll put RES down to 15 and go for 19 DEX and 20 PER. High Interrupt will hopefully be useful for my character. Plus I like it for RPing.

One question I still have is how exactly Athletic and Fatigue work. I was thinking Raider background as I like it for RPing but also the +1 Athletics and Stealth is kind of nice, but I'm still don't really get what Athletics does. I know failing certain checks like that climbing the ravine in the BB will give your characters fatigue, does Athletics then just help cut back on how long Fatigue lasts if you fail the initial check. Or does it also come into play in actual combat?

I went a little overboard in planning out my character. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71281-player-character-clinic/#entry1588272

You will get the "fatigue" effect over the course of "x" amount of encounters. The higher the athletics, the more fights you can take part in w/o getting "fatigued". I believe fatigue will have some penalties to your character so you will need to rest. Also your screen will be more blurred around the edges notifying your character is fatigued. Some of this is poorly explained in the Backer Beta, so hopefully the manual goes more over this. But I believe that's the gist of it.

pahamrick

What about if it's not awesome??

Some of the vague statements by folks already playing the full game have me convinced I'll love it. I don't have the IE nostalgia that some folks do, as I didn't play my first IE games until last summer (BG:EE, BG2:EE).

I love RPGs though, and I've loved every Obsidian game I've played. Roll on Thursday! (Why oh why wasn't this a Tuesday release.)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
You will get the "fatigue" effect over the course of "x" amount of encounters. The higher the athletics, the more fights you can take part in w/o getting "fatigued". I believe fatigue will have some penalties to your character so you will need to rest. Also your screen will be more blurred around the edges notifying your character is fatigued. Some of this is poorly explained in the Backer Beta, so hopefully the manual goes more over this. But I believe that's the gist of it.

Gotcha that's what I figured but the wikia and other stuff isn't too clear on it. So a few points into Athletics might not be a bad idea if I plan on going as long as possible between resting.

I also haven't heard a whole lot about the usefulness of potions and food. I don't have any interest in Lore, for RPing or for using scrolls, but a nice potion or good rump roast lasting a little longer could be quite useful in combat so Survival might be something to look into.

JC Sera

Dat jargon. I've been on a near-complete blackout for this game. My characters are gonna suck so bad!
Don't worry, unless you completely dump a stat, you will be fine. The game even tells you which stats are primary and secondary priority for each class.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Gotcha that's what I figured but the wikia and other stuff isn't too clear on it. So a few points into Athletics might not be a bad idea if I plan on going as long as possible between resting.

I also haven't heard a whole lot about the usefulness of potions and food. I don't have any interest in Lore, for RPing or for using scrolls, but a nice potion or good rump roast lasting a little longer could be quite useful in combat so Survival might be something to look into.

There is a lot of potions and foods that give some nice buffs. Using them often is a good idea. You shouldn't be saving them IMO. Don't fall into that "horde every consumable but never end up using them" trap that many RPG'ers fall into. Plus you can craft a lot of cool stuff and they are quite powerful. The extra consumable duration will make a big difference in tough fights where every second counts. Definitely bring some consumables during your preparations for quests. I'm going put a lot of points into survival for my Monk or Barb that I make.

A lot of RPGs don't properly implement consumables in their games properly. We just horde them and never use them. I'm making a conscious effort to invest in survival and get most out my consumables that I find and craft.

Also, I'm having my entire party drink beers every time I finish a quest. I'll head to a nice Inn I like to visit, and buy beers for all of them hehe. The Celestial Sapling looks amazing from one of those screenshots Obsidian posted in Twin Elms.

pahamrick

That sure would be nice but Pillars is coming out on Thursday, not Tuesday.

(Backers would appreciate an early release, Obsidian!)

I'm not even a backer, and I think it's kinda scummy that Paradox are hooking Streamers / Youtubers up with copies earlier than backers get access. I get why they're doing it (Look at how well Cities: Skylines did with that Word Of Mouth) but at least let backers get in on it early as well.

Unless backer keys will activate as soon as they get them on Monday or Tuesday and allow them to play, then just ignore me looking like an asshole.

Kinthalis

Banned
Also, I'm having my entire party drink beers every time I finish a quest. I'll head to a nice Inn I like to visit, and buy beers for all of them hehe. The Celestial Sapling looks amazing from one of those screenshots Obsidian posted in Twin Elms.

HA! Great idea!

Lingitiz

I'm not even a backer, and I think it's kinda scummy that Paradox are hooking Streamers / Youtubers up with copies earlier than backers get access. I get why they're doing it (Look at how well Cities: Skylines did with that Word Of Mouth) but at least let backers get in on it early as well.

Unless backer keys will activate as soon as they get them on Monday or Tuesday and allow them to play, then just ignore me looking like an asshole.

It may be tied to spoilers considering backers are not tied to NDAs of any kind. Or maybe it's just an oversight.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
There is a lot of potions and foods that give some nice buffs. Using them often is a good idea. You shouldn't be saving them IMO. Don't fall into that "horde every consumable but never end up using them" trap that many RPG'ers fall into. Plus you can craft a lot of cool stuff and they are quite powerful. The extra consumable duration will make a big difference in tough fights where every second counts. Definitely bring some consumables during your preparations for quests. I'm going put a lot of points into survival for my Monk or Barb that I make.

A lot of RPGs don't properly implement consumables in their games properly. We just horde them and never use them. I'm making a conscious effort to invest in survival and get most out my consumables that I find and craft.

I hear this and I like it, but almost 2 decades of gaming has built up this horrible horrible habit of hoarding consumables. I will try my best to not do so here. The Witcher was actually pretty good about making not feel bad about using potions and stuff.

Hmm now I guess I shouldn't try and focus both Stealth and Mechanics on my Rogue since both Survival and Athletics will also be quite useful. Decisions decisions.

Nahh us Backers have no reason to expect special treatment like this. We were at no time ever given any indication we'd get the game early, nor that they wouldn't be treating this like any other game launch. Releasing it early to backers would more than likely screw things up too since they'd have no way of keeping spoilers from running rampant as well as quality control.

We are also getting a Day 0 patch that will be addressing a lot of last minute big issues. And I'm sure a few of those will have been born from feedback they're getting from reviewers and streamers. Wouldn't do them much good if some big but fixable bug popped up last minute but then you have ~80k backers crying all over the internet that the game is broken. This is still a business and we should all be hoping for the best possible success and release of this game, not whining over the fact that we don't get a couple extra days with the game before anyone else.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
From Obsidian FB page:

"Pillars of Eternity: The Wailing Banshee Inn

It was the largest battle of the War of Defiance, and the imperial army of Aedyr had blockaded the rebel capital of Defiance Bay with its fleet. They chose to invade with ground troops at the weakest point, a poorly fortified position in a district known as Ondra's Gift, which had once been a wetland before being drained and settled.

What the invaders didn't know was that they were being drawn into a trap. Aedyran soldiers stormed the district to find it abandoned, and before they could make sense of it, the dikes behind them were destroyed, and the district was flooded. The army of Aedyr was decimated.

Most of the original district was swept away in the flood, or remains beneath the water, a submerged ruin. One of the only surviving structures was a lighthouse, which now lies at the far end of the farthest dock of Ondra's Gift - and the locals prefer it that way. Those unaware of the local superstitions who pass that way find that their blood runs cold as they near it, and their bodies are overcome with panic. But often they remain paralyzed just long enough to hear the screams from within, and it's the screams that stay with them, haunting their dreams, spawning a host of wild stories - some about vengeful soldier ghosts, some about a lighthouse keeper who never knew to evacuate.

The key to the lighthouse has passed from one naïve would-be owner to the next, often through trickery. The last such victim was a young woman named Niah who had aspirations of converting the lighthouse into an inn that ended as quickly as her workers could flee. Though she still has hopes for it, she has yet to conjure the nerve to set foot inside."

11082325_10152775446231593_6305360319545017497_o.jpg

11062789_10152775448006593_7410797661277207011_o.jpg

11084138_10152775448216593_4056646817416560060_o.jpg

epmode

This is exactly the way I see it too. It's pretty disappointing.

..but maybe the backer keys will be able to unlock the game before Thursday after all!

pahamrick

It may be tied to spoilers considering backers are not tied to NDAs of any kind. Or maybe it's just an oversight.

Nahh us Backers have no reason to expect special treatment like this. We were at no time ever given any indication we'd get the game early, nor that they wouldn't be treating this like any other game launch. Releasing it early to backers would more than likely screw things up too since they'd have no way of keeping spoilers from running rampant as well as quality control.

We are also getting a Day 0 patch that will be addressing a lot of last minute big issues. And I'm sure a few of those will have been born from feedback they're getting from reviewers and streamers. Wouldn't do them much good if some big but fixable bug popped up last minute but then you have ~80k backers crying all over the internet that the game is broken. This is still a business and we should all be hoping for the best possible success and release of this game, not whining over the fact that we don't get a couple extra days with the game before anyone else.

Okay, I get that -- but it's not like they couldn't hook the backers up with a couple days early advance play. It would mean more eyes on bugs for that day 0 patch, for one. Like I said, I'm not even a backer so the whole playing early thing doesn't apply to me but considering if it wasn't for backers it's possible Obsidian would have went under, it seems like a silly oversight. Just my opinion, and all that.

This is exactly the way I see it too. It's pretty disappointing.

..but maybe the backer keys will be able to unlock the game before Thursday after all!

Maybe, I think it would be a nice bonus to the folks who kickstarted it is all I'm thinking.

Lingitiz

Okay, I get that -- but it's not like they couldn't hook the backers up with a couple days early advance play. It would mean more eyes on bugs for that day 0 patch, for one. Like I said, I'm not even a backer so the whole playing early thing doesn't apply to me but considering if it wasn't for backers it's possible Obsidian would have went under, it seems like a silly oversight. Just my opinion, and all that.

Maybe, I think it would be a nice bonus to the folks who kickstarted it is all I'm thinking.

Crossposting the reasoning behind this from the other thread.

For those choosing the Steam version, good news from Kaz!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71420-steam-achievements/?p=1590869

Kaz: Our resident programmer Roby pushed to get all the steam related assets done before release. We support the following:

• Achievements
  • Badges
  • Cards
  • Emoticons (be sure to collect both "eyes")
  • Profile Background

Also, important message from Brandon Adler concerning the embargo/streaming:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71...rch-23rd-backers-wait-for-the-26th/?p=1590662

Brandon Adler: Since many are asking:

• The embargo for streaming the game is up on March 23rd. I don't remember the specific time, but I think it is 6 AM PDT.
  • The embargo for reviews and critiques is up when the game launches. This is so all press have a chance to write up and release their reviews at the same time.
  • The press are getting press versions of the game. These are not final versions, but they are pretty close. Whether or not you feel that press reviews and Twitch/YouTube streams are important, they are. They will make an enormous difference in the reception of the game. We are hoping that official press and good word of mouth from our backers will create the best launch we could possibly have. This will ensure that we are able to make sequels and more expansions for everyone.
  • I understand that some of the backers may be upset that others get to review the game before you get to play, but it is necessary if we want day one reviews to be live. If we opened up the review build to backers the majority of the game would be leaked before launch day and the press would (rightfully) break their embargos so that their reviews are relevant.
  • Also, the backers are going to be getting a day one patch that has many additional fixes that the review build isn't getting. The biggest change is to the Enchanting UI. Trust me when I say you will want some of these fixes/changes for your full playthrough.

One again, I apologize to any backers that feel slighted. That is not our intention. Our intention is to have the best launch possible. We (Obsidian and backers) have spent over two years on this journey together and we can't thank you enough. We just ask that you understand what we are doing is for maximum exposure and the good of the game.

Thanks.

As a backer, I do agree with you. I'm somewhat disappointed with their decision.

Crossposting the reasoning behind this from the other thread.

Their reasons are entirely understandable, even financially smart. That doesn't make it alright to me. Kickstarter isn't a proper business transaction, it's a personal plea for aid with the hope of completion, but never guaranteed. I and tens of thousands of others answered because we believe in obsidian to create a great piece of art.

I don't feel betrayed or want to start a petition condemning these choices, but it still annoys me.

Anno

If it helps Obsidian have a more successful launch then I'm fine with the decision. A few more days won't hurt me and (if it's good) should help get the game off to a good start. Reading that this KS basically saved them from bankruptcy makes me even more invested in the game and its expansions/sequels doing well. I really want the series to continue on for a long time and see the lore added to and explored.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey guys. Feel good that you've made a bunch of annoying youtube personalities and game critics real happy this past week as they have played through the game. They appreciate your funding and look forward to you doing it again.

Kinthalis

Banned
As a backer, I do agree with you. I'm somewhat disappointed with their decision.

Their reasons are entirely understandable, even financially smart. That doesn't make it alright to me. Kickstarter isn't a proper business transaction, it's a personal plea for aid with the hope of completion, but never guaranteed. I and tens of thousands of others answered because we believe in obsidian to create a great piece of art.

I don't feel betrayed or want to start a petition condemning these choices, but it still annoys me.

Pledging entitles you to whatever your pledge level said you were entitled to. No more, no less.

They need this game to be successful in order to keep the lights on, people's jobs are literally on the line. That's more important that letting pledgers play what would essentilaly still be an early build of the game (no day zero patch). We are getting our game, along with whatever goodies our pledge accords us.

I see absolutely no reason to be annoyed or upset about not being able to play the game early. The official launch is March 26th, everything else is literally marketing and the game needs these youtubers and press to do their job. They don't have the money for a traditional marketing campaign, this is it for this game - there's no Sony or Microsoft or big publisher willing to pay for ads (Of course if there WAS a Sony or Microsoft or publisher, that would likely have meant this game would have never existed, Obsidian would instead be working on some crappy console game).

Let's show them support and love, guys!

draetenth

If it helps Obsidian have a more successful launch then I'm fine with the decision. A few more days won't hurt me and (if it's good) should help get the game off to a good start. Reading that this KS basically saved them from bankruptcy makes me even more invested in the game and its expansions/sequels doing well. I really want the series to continue on for a long time and see the lore added to and explored.

Yeah, this and what Kinthalis just said are pretty much point on. My favorite developers are creating a new game and even better as it's a spiritual successor to one of my favorite series. I don't care if people are playing it before me. If people playing it before me helps out Obsidian even more by getting the word out, then I'm all for it.

Saw the handbook up for order on Amazon and grabbed it. I had figured the book was just going to be a kickstarter exclusive item so I was pretty happy to see it available for purchase. While I won't be picking up the game right away (waiting on steam controller) I'll at least be up on the lore when I do!

"Traditional" CRPGs were games I would borrow from a friend, start playing for a couple hours, put myself in a bad spot or get distracted with another game and hand the game back. I'm looking forward to giving the genre another shot, being able to play those kinds of games on my television is a very appealing prospect.

Not like there is a new C&C release to pull me away from the games anymore either...

JC Sera

It's going to be hard staying away from streams next week.

We should form up a support group.
to be fair, streams should be marked with spoiler warnings, and they are only allowed to go so far into the story.

I am a horrible person who spoils everything for myself. I love watching different youtubers play the same telltale game, and watch what happens when they choose different options

LurkingFear

A lot of RPGs don't properly implement consumables in their games properly. We just horde them and never use them. I'm making a conscious effort to invest in survival and get most out my consumables that I find.

This is so true. Game after game (usually RPGs), I find myself stacked with potions and other consumables that just go wasted and unused. Mostly because you can just press through a games difficulty in spite of them. Dragon Age Inquisition comes to mind with all of those goofy buff potions that are esssentually useless (Yes, I beat it on Nightmare without them).

All of those elaborate hypodermic needles in Far Cry 4 have proven to be unnecessary as well. Developere need to find a better way to implement consumables to make them extremely valuable.

But I do seem to remember using them like hotcakes in the Black Isle games, so bravo to that!

Remmy2112

So when -are- backers getting their keys? I read here that it was maybe Monday or Tuesday, but that was second-hand information. Have Obsidian directly stated?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I wish they would have given us an option by now on the Backer Portal to select which key we want and then they can could give them to us whenever. A day before is time enough to preload. What I really want are those backer rewards ASAP. I wish getting those wasn't tied to also getting the Key.

I could be reading the Guidebook as we speak and learning how to cook with Tim Cain, but no.

Kvik

But I do seem to remember using them like hotcakes in the Black Isle games, so bravo to that!

I don't normally quaff potions during fights with normal critters. But I had Minsc completely saturated with Potion of Hill Giant Strength in the Red Wizards Enclave

Top Bottom