• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Gone Gold! Releasing March 26th

I can only hope a digital pre-order will redeem me for not kickstarting ;-;. I promise I'll be there next time, Obsidian.

Shame tho that I want the Making of Doc but I dunno about the rest included in the CE. I wish it was a pre-order bonus instead of in-game items :(

If I'm understanding the mechanics right, CON, PER and INT are relatively useless for Rogues, especially CON and INT? PER has some use, RES a little more (because it affects the duration of some abilities), but DEX and MIG are overwhelmingly important?

Seems weird that I'll be dumping a lot of points in MIG, but I guess any non-support class will be.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If I'm understanding the mechanics right, CON, PER and INT are relatively useless for Rogues, especially CON and INT? PER has some use, RES a little more (because it affects the duration of some abilities), but DEX and MIG are overwhelmingly important?

Seems weird that I'll be dumping a lot of points in MIG, but I guess any non-support class will be.

Actually I think most people would say MIG, DEX and INT are the most important. But it depends on your build. If you intend to use the Rogue's active Abilities and Talents then INT will make them last longer which will allow you to get the Sneak Attack bonus longer. Making status effects last longer could be important to utilizing passives like Deathblows which doubles damage when a target has two or more status effects that cause Sneak Attack. Plus abilities like turning invisible will last longer allowing you to move greater distances and position yourself.

Personally I spec'd out a Rogue that doesn't use INT and active abilities but that's just me.

seph1roth

First Unboxing Video has popped up. Looks like the Champion Edition I guess. Guidebook and Manual along with paper map and soundtrack plus codes for DLC. In Polish so can't say much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjG3Ww3-IJQ

That's the adventurer edition...

I've preordered the champion edition, idk if in the rest of europe the adventurer edition can be purchased in stores, here in spain we only have Hero and Champion edition T_T

petghost

Banned
I think the rogue is gonna have plenty of opportunities to sneak attack regardless of how much int they have if you got a caster like a priest throwing out big aoe debuffs.

It'd be cool to have high int to make that invisibility skill last longer though especially if you can do it out of combat.

I'm really anticipating a mod that lets you use all your shit outside of combat.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's the adventurer edition...

I've preordered the champion edition, idk if in the rest of europe the adventurer edition can be purchased in stores, here in spain we only have Hero and Champion edition T_T

Ohh got it that must be what they call the physical copy version, content wise it's looks the same as the digital Champion version, which personally I would prefer. Reading the manual and guidebook would look just as good if not better on my tablet.

Now if it was the big hardcover books and a clothe map that would be a different story, but I was too cheap to pony up the amount of cash needed for that during the Kickstarter.

vocab

Do I make a monk and hope its not underwhelming like every monk ever in a crpg or play a rogue and be disappointed that I didn't pick a monk.

damnit!

What a busy week coming up. Life is Strange on Tuesday and this on Thursday. My sympathy to all those picking up Bloodbourne on Tuesday also.

JC Sera

Sometimes I think its pretty cool we've gotten to the point of gaming where all the games you were looking forward to are released so close to each other

practicality wise its like a tactical nuke to my grades

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do I make a monk and hope its not underwhelming like every monk ever in a crpg or play a rogue and be disappointed that I didn't pick a monk.

damnit!

Underwhelming?

Monks are absolutely insanely broken in D&D games, both Infinity Engine and NWN2, monks are insane.

Arulan

What a busy week coming up. Life is Strange on Tuesday and this on Thursday. My sympathy to all those picking up Bloodbourne on Tuesday also.

There can only be one. ;)

I'm likely partial, but I've been waiting roughly a decade for something like this, and I plan to dedicate my time to it. I'm sure Bloodborne will turn out good though.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but for some (unknown) reason the Wiki has changed the effect of Resolve to as follows:

Resolve (RES) Resolve reflects a character's internal drive, determination, and the emotional intensity they can project to others. It can be useful for mental intimidation, leadership, and convincing performances. In combat, it helps characters maintain Concentration, increases the durations of spells and abilities, and contributes to the Will defense.

I'm not sure where they got this information from, but they (Obsidian) might have tweaked attributes a little in the latest build. Before this was part of Intellect. This would certainly make Resolve more attractive, as before it was quite underwhelming.

Actually I think most people would say MIG, DEX and INT are the most important. But it depends on your build. If you intend to use the Rogue's active Abilities and Talents then INT will make them last longer which will allow you to get the Sneak Attack bonus longer. Making status effects last longer could be important to utilizing passives like Deathblows which doubles damage when a target has two or more status effects that cause Sneak Attack. Plus abilities like turning invisible will last longer allowing you to move greater distances and position yourself.

Personally I spec'd out a Rogue that doesn't use INT and active abilities but that's just me.
The wiki said that Resolve affects Duration; INT affects AoE stuff, which a Rogue has none of?

hemtae

The wiki said that Resolve affects Duration; INT affects AoE stuff, which a Rogue has none of?

From the latest beta ingame descriptions of the two attributes. Sensuki, jschreier, or GDJustin can tell you if it says anything different now.

56nvain.jpg
tQtvC4M.jpg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah what Hemtae said. If the change to RES as shown in the Wiki is correct then yeah INT has no business being used by a Rogue, but that would be an odd change and stack too many stats to RES. I would expect any change to Attributes to affect more than just those two and likely shuffle more stats effects around.

Yeah what Hemtae said. If the change to RES as shown in the Wiki is correct then yeah INT has no business being used by a Rogue, but that would be an odd change and stack too many stats to RES. I would expect any change to Attributes to affect more than just those two and likely shuffle more stats effects around.
I guess I'll just have to wait and not trust the wiki for anything.

From the latest beta ingame descriptions of the two attributes. Sensuki, jschreier, or GDJustin can tell you if it says anything different now.
Thanks for pulling these out, btw.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member

They were incorrectly formatted on the Wiki actually.

Int still gives +AoE, +Duration.
Resolve still sucks.

Hehe.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
My Rogue resolutely scoffs at INT still.

17, 4, 18, 18, 3, 18 forever.

Why do you want 18 resolve on your Rogue. You will get a massive improvement if you dump it for 18 Int instead.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Why do you want 18 resolve on your Rogue. You will get a massive improvement if you dump it for 18 Int instead.

No Active abilities outside the mandatory first one, so not much use. I could, possibly should, put more into DEX to increase attack speed further. Can't do much more with MIG since I'm going Orlan, so that would require picking the Living Lands background, but I'm partial to the Deadfire Archipelago.

borborygmus

No Active abilities outside the mandatory first one, so not much use. I could, possibly should, put more into DEX to increase attack speed further. Can't do much more with MIG since I'm going Orlan, so that would require picking the Living Lands background, but I'm partial to the Deadfire Archipelago.

Dat jargon. I've been on a near-complete blackout for this game. My characters are gonna suck so bad!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Dat jargon. I've been on a near-complete blackout for this game. My characters are gonna suck so bad!

Nahh, I'm without question over thinking and planning out my character. The way stats work appear to be quite forgiving and they've put a lot of effort to make it so. You really have to try and set out to make a broken shitty build. Most of the rest will have ways to play to their strength and be viable.

Just go with what you think sounds good and seems reasonable I doubt you'll end up with a shitty character.

Alastor3

is it the type of game to be so huge we need to wait a couple of weeks to get patched or since it was a kickstarted they could choose their own release date and know that their game was in a playable state ?

I backed the kickstarter but haven't follow the developpement, im in a completely media blackout.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
is it the type of game to be so huge we need to wait a couple of weeks to get patched or since it was a kickstarted they could choose their own release date and know that their game was in a playable state ?

I backed the kickstarter but haven't follow the developpement, im in a completely media blackout.

Hopefully not. They have had the Backer Beta going for many months now so hopefully that has helped to address most of the major bugs, but who knows about the full game and possible broken quest chains and such.

What little we've heard from reviewers has been quite positive, but that's literally like 3 whole vague ass statements no longer than a sentence. We'll know for sure tomorrow since Streamers will be able to show off the first act of the game. We do know there is a big Day 0 patch being worked on right now that will be addressing a lot of things.

Could go either way really. Hopefully the game is playable start to finish and any issues that arise aren't game breaking, but just minor inconveniences.

borborygmus

Nahh, I'm without question over thinking and planning out my character. The way stats work appear to be quite forgiving and they've put a lot of effort to make it so. You really have to try and set out to make a broken shitty build. Most of the rest will have ways to play to their strength and be viable.

Just go with what you think sounds good and seems reasonable I doubt you'll end up with a shitty character.

Alright, I'm happy to hear that. I always tend to bork my characters in these games, yet I'm paranoid about spoilers so there's no way for me to get a vague idea on builds.

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat. I keep tabs on this thread, but skim most of it to prevent spoilers. I'm going in fresh!

Here's to improvised character builds! ;]

Menome

As the streamers get to start tomorrow; is this thread going to be spoiler-free or not? Given we've already had a warning about a scene from the end of the Prologue, I'm keen to avoid stumbling upon anything like that before release.

~Kinggi~

Banned
As the streamers get to start tomorrow; is this thread going to be spoiler-free or not? Given we've already had a warning about a scene from the end of the Prologue, I'm keen to avoid stumbling upon anything like that before release.

IM sure we will have a safe haven somewhere away from the filthy spoiler demons

Almighty

If you are as sensitive to spoilers as I am then the best thing to do will be to just go on a full blackout like I am planning on doing after this post.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If you are as sensitive to spoilers as I am then the best thing to do will be to just go on a full blackout like I am planning on doing after this post.

Yeah, I'm not risking anything. All I want are vague ass statements of how the game runs and how awesome it is. I have no desire to hear any story elements or anything of that nature.

Alastor3

Hopefully not. They have had the Backer Beta going for many months now so hopefully that has helped to address most of the major bugs, but who knows about the full game and possible broken quest chains and such.

What little we've heard from reviewers has been quite positive, but that's literally like 3 whole vague ass statements no longer than a sentence. We'll know for sure tomorrow since Streamers will be able to show off the first act of the game. We do know there is a big Day 0 patch being worked on right now that will be addressing a lot of things.

Could go either way really. Hopefully the game is playable start to finish and any issues that arise aren't game breaking, but just minor inconveniences.

Thanks!

I now fear to play game at their release but I think I might play when it will! is it the same release date for backers and regular people ?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member

Yea you should max Dex if you can. Didn't know you were building a passive Rogue, interesting. Have fun :)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yea you should max Dex if you can. Didn't know you were building a passive Rogue, interesting. Have fun :)

Yeah I think I'll put RES down to 15 and go for 19 DEX and 20 PER. High Interrupt will hopefully be useful for my character. Plus I like it for RPing.

One question I still have is how exactly Athletic and Fatigue work. I was thinking Raider background as I like it for RPing but also the +1 Athletics and Stealth is kind of nice, but I'm still don't really get what Athletics does. I know failing certain checks like that climbing the ravine in the BB will give your characters fatigue, does Athletics then just help cut back on how long Fatigue lasts if you fail the initial check. Or does it also come into play in actual combat?

I went a little overboard in planning out my character. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71281-player-character-clinic/#entry1588272

Dsyndrome

Tag-teaming this game Tuesday along with Bloodborne; anyway to preload this on Steam so I don't have to wait for 14GB to download?

Top Bottom