• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

moerser

does anybody know if this will run at least half decently on an ultrabook with integrated graphics?

(PLEASE SAY YES, PLEASE SAY YES, PLEASE SAY YES)

#1 Top seller on Steam, that must be great for the devs.

iv8yGs7gBmt6k.png

Really hoping it stays there for a long time. Obsidian deserves to have all the money.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wonderful OT, so excited to dive into this game after work today. I am filled with envy direct at all of you who are going to be playing the game so very shortly.

Also so happy to see the game selling so well. All the latecomers are guaranteeing a solid expansion for us kickstarters :p

Alastor3

TrueMenace, the simplest thing to do is put all the resources you want shared in a new post, and then a mod can quote you in the OP.

I did go to sleep at 1am. Woke up at 5:30 am EST. Got college classes to attend to soon.

Feel free to PM me if you want to let me edit the OP (I feel like this won't happen) when I get back from classes.

iv8yGs7gBmt6k.png

sorry english isn't my main language but, are the game #1 on Sales just because all the backers are putting their key in the Steam store or it mean that people are buying the game as pre-order ?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
sorry english isn't my main language but, are the game #1 on Sales just because all the backers are putting their key in the Steam store or it mean that people are buying the game as pre-order ?
Buying the game from Steam directly. Keys don't count. Also keep in mind that all 3 SKU's are combined for it.

does anybody know if this will run at least half decently on an ultrabook with integrated graphics?

It's choppy but playable on an ultrabook. Apparently there's anti-aliasing in the game, but no in-game option to turn it off. If you can turn off anti-aliasing at the driver level, that might be a big performance boost.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I wonder if I can get away with installing Steam on my office computer...

The struggle is real.

mclem

...has Evilore ever made a game OT directly himself before this? I don't recall it occurring, certainly.

I need to check up on my backer stuff, I've a nagging feeling there's some details I still need to fill out.

moerser

It's choppy but playable on an ultrabook. Apparently there's anti-aliasing in the game, but no in-game option to turn it off. If you can turn off anti-aliasing at the driver level, that might be a big performance boost.

thanks, sounds good enough. will report back for other potential ultrabook users.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the devs have stated that it will run better if you know how to manually turn off your AA.

jtb

Banned
...has Evilore ever made a game OT directly himself before this? I don't recall it occurring, certainly.

I need to check up on my backer stuff, I've a nagging feeling there's some details I still need to fill out.

Dragon Age 1 and 2, iirc

pahamrick

I believe he did the OT for Dragon Age 2. The most infamous OT of all time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Dragon Age 2 OT was the amazing. Revenge of shit mountain, classic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

He has. For Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. I recommend checking them out...

LuuKyK

iv8yGs7gBmt6k.png

Even if that's great and I hope it stays that way, it really doesn't mean much for now (I mean, games like Hyperdimension Neptunia and TiTS were number 1's too, even if at much lower price). It would be more surprising if it didn't make it to the top honestly. Hope the game does well though, of course. :)

duckroll

Steam sales charts are calculated by the dollar. So PoE is making more money on Steam per hour now than GTAV and Cities: Skylines. Redeeming keys don't have any impact.

I suspect it'll be a much more enthralling game than either of those, at least for me. DOS pretty much only offers fun gameplay, as the story and characters are about as bland as it gets. WL2 just didn't do anything for me at all, which has me a little worried about Torment.

I agree about DOS, but I found Wasteland 2 to be quite fun. My issue with it is I don't really like post-apocalyptic settings. I'm not worried about Torment, they're bringing in a lot of outside people to help write it like Pat Rothfuss and Chris Avellone. Torment will be just as good gameplay wise (Wasteland 2 had good gameplay imo) but even better writing.

Have Obsidian said if they have any plans or considerations about doing an expansion to PoE?

Shinjica

Is the mage fun to play? I didnt like so much in BGII that the best spell are the supportive one and not the offensive.

I like a glasscannon character, not a buffer

rickyson1

meh dunno if i'll play it anytime soon but noticed I could get it for $22 from nuuvem so just went for it,not like i'll regret buying it later at that price if I don't play it for a few months

deleted

I have the same problem coming week, I asked previously if the Beta can run on a Intel HD 4000 and it seems like it runs (not great, but reasonably playable).

Depends on the ultrabook I'd say? Since the visuals are nice, but not essential to the experience I would say..

aravuus

Okay, a bit less than 3 hours of BB now, then I'll eat something and then it's time to play PoE! Man, so many fantastic games it's overwhelming

I never got the answer in the other thread: how moddable is the game?

Dr Dogg

I ran the backer beta on a gen 1 Surface Pro which is a bit long in the tooth now though knocking the resolution down to 1280x720 it was reasonably playable, well certainly after a few updates. At 1920x1080 it struggled along outdoors, was better in smaller areas but was really struggling during battles. That's with a i5-3317U @ 1.7Ghz (2.6 Turbo) which has a HD 4000 integrated GPU.

Noaloha

Walker's RPS review starts off strong:

Let’s be clear about how this review’s going to go. If you want to go in completely blank, as I did, then stop reading at the end of this paragraph. Because all you need to know is in the introduction above. Let me summarise: “Should I buy Pillars Of Eternity?” Yes. There, good, job done. If you want to know why it’s good, then read on, but it’s crucial to accept that to do so, I’ll have to allude to aspects of the game that aren’t revealed in the first half hour. But trust me, I’m good at my job, and I won’t actually spoil anything. I’m barely going to mention the plot.

I agree about DOS, but I found Wasteland 2 to be quite fun. My issue with it is I don't really like post-apocalyptic settings. I'm not worried about Torment, they're bringing in a lot of outside people to help write it like Pat Rothfuss and Chris Avellone. Torment will be just as good gameplay wise (Wasteland 2 had good gameplay imo) but even better writing.

Have Obsidian said if they have any plans or considerations about doing an expansion to PoE?

If you're a backer, you can actually pay $20 for the expansion now. They say it's a discounted price, so I assume it'll be $25-30 and thus a "real" expansion whenever it happens.

Calcium

Banned
Can I play this yet? .....No?

.....can I play this yet?

I hope the game does well, Obsidian really deserves it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Reviews

RPS
It’s a triumph. A wonderful, enormous and spellbinding RPG, gloriously created in the image of BioWare’s Infinity classics, but distinctly its own. A classic in every sense.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/26/pillars-of-eternity-review/

Videogamer
Pillars of Eternity is modern, while evoking the past. It’s accessible, but satisfyingly complex. Its quality is undeniable, and it’s particularly heartening to see Obsidian, the underdog RPG studio with a string of thrown-bones and rough diamonds behind it, pour its sweat and passion into something they obviously love – and utterly nail it.

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/pillars_of_eternity_review.html

PC Gamer
Pillars of Eternity is "one of the best RPGs on PC"

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-review/

Top Bottom