• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I will be here with bells on when I am done with Bloodborne. Can not believe 2 games of this quality are releasing in the same week.

Einbroch

Banned
Does this game let you reroll stats/skills at whim or at least early in the game? Is that even a thing in this game?

I really liked Divinity but backed myself into a corner and the reroll system came too late for me.

Camwi

I watched Sensuki's character creation video and even that seems overwhelming , lol. Can you folks recommend a class for newbs? Any help/tips/info to make my journey easier would be appreciated.

I intend to watch Sensuki's other videos as well. Just need a little help on choosing a class for beginners.

One note I read in a different PoE thread is that none of your companions is a
rogue
. Can't say they're the most newbie-friendly class (probably best off as a fighter or paladin or such), but just some food for thought.

dude

dude
Does this game let you reroll stats/skills at whim or at least early in the game? Is that even a thing in this game?

I really liked Divinity but backed myself into a corner and the reroll system came too late for me.

I don't think there's a reroll option - But trainers are probably going to show up rather soon and the system is built around fucking your self up in creation. It's claimed you can pretty much roll an intelligent barbarian or a dumb wizard and still be pretty awesome.

I watched Sensuki's character creation video and even that seems overwhelming , lol. Can you folks recommend a class for newbs? Any help/tips/info to make my journey easier would be appreciated.

I intend to watch Sensuki's other videos as well. Just need a little help on choosing a class for beginners.
For beginners, I'd recommend building a character that largely uses passive abilities (or whose actives are simple and obvious) and doesn't require a lot of micromanagement.

So you can straight away rule out Wizard, Chanter, Cipher, etc.

Probably your best bet is a tanky Fighter. Look for Abilities and Talents that are marked "passive," as they'll give you boosts and buffs you don't need to carefully manage or ration. Focus on damage-dealing and survivability by making Might your core stat with some points in CON (to increase endurance), DEX (to increase attack speed and mitigate the effects of wearing heavy armor) and a smattering in PER/RES (as these will increase your Deflection, which increases the chance that enemies will Miss or only Graze you with their attacks).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
From the pcgamer review:

As characters speak, their body language is described, giving you a sense of their personality. Click a magnifying glass icon on certain objects in the world and you’re treated to a totally unnecessary, but wonderfully evocative, description of them. Use your Watcher powers on selected NPC’s souls and you’re treated to expressive 500-word vignettes about their past. I haven’t done this much reading, and enjoyed it, in a game since Planescape: Torment.

1311947803699.jpg

r3n4ud

One note I read in a different PoE thread is that none of your companions is a
rogue
. Can't say they're the most newbie-friendly class (probably best off as a fighter or paladin or such), but just some food for thought.

Unless they've done something really complex with fighters, they're usually the easiest class to just pick up and play in these sorts of games.

For beginners, I'd recommend building a character that largely uses passive abilities (or whose actives are simple and obvious) and doesn't require a lot of micromanagement.

So you can straight away rule out Wizard, Chanter, Cipher, etc.

Probably your best bet is a tanky Fighter. Look for Abilities and Talents that are marked "passive," as they'll give you boosts and buffs you don't need to carefully manage or ration. Focus on damage-dealing and survivability by making Might your core stat with some points in CON (to increase endurance), DEX (to increase attack speed and mitigate the effects of wearing heavy armor) and a smattering in PER/RES (as these will increase your Deflection, which increases the chance that enemies will Miss or only Graze you with their attacks).
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This game heralds the return of the true RPG genre, and I have welcomed it with open arms. Seriously though, Ovsidian have knocked this one out of the park, I'm so damn addicted to playing I just can't stop. Such a gorgeous and rich game.

d1rtn4p

First things first...get to the goose and fox, have a few beers and chat it up before I set out on my quest. Only way to roll.

Durante

Have you got a GeDoSaTo profile up and ready to go or is it the usual 'fullscreen' Unity Engine trick?
I have a profile, the trick works with DSR though.

You do need to use a console command in-game to comfortably downsample:

Pillars of Eternity downsampling guide:

To get the best image quality on the 3D rendered stuff, while maintaining the full quality of the backgrounds, I suggest this (if your hw can handle it):
  • Downsample from exactly 4x the resolution (e.g. I'm using 5120x2880 on my 1440p screen).
  • Since this is a Unity game, if you are using DSR you will need to set your desktop resolution to your downsampling resolution before launching PoE for this to actually work. (It just works with GeDoSaTo)
  • UI will scale automatically, so there's no need to do anything regarding that.
  • Your zoom limits will be messed up though: by default the game won't let you zoom closer than a 1:1 mapping of background pixels to display pixels. Since you are downsampling, every "display pixel" the game sees is actually just 1/4 of a physical pixel, so you'd like to zoom in further.
    Luckily, this is easy to fix: open the console (look up the key for that in the options) and type "setZoomRange 0.5 100". 0.5 will let you zoom in such that you get 1:1 mapping of background image pixels to real physical pixels again with 4x dowsampling.
  • Additionally, you can use the command "msaa N" to enable NxMSAA, e.g. "msaa 4". It doesn't make a huge difference on top of 4x downsampling though.

Edit:
just noticed that this is already in the OP.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
First things first...get to the goose and fox, have a few beers and chat it up before I set out on my quest. Only way to roll.

Don't forget to attack the innkeeper. It will clearly work out well for you.

Noaloha

Is it the prospect of the actual character creation screen you're feeling overwhelmed by, or the gameplay itself? When you say 'easier' and 'for beginners', are you looking for a class that's easy to not build terribly, or a class that's easy to play?

If the latter, my biggest tip would be first to gently nudge yourself away from worrying about being overwhelmed by controlling your chosen class and, instead, ease you into a mindset of worrying about being overwhelmed with the prospect of controlling your entire party. :p

Then, only once that expectation's in place, it can be time to allay any fears of the game being overwhelming. It'll be a challenging game, but not a chaotic unmanageable one that you'll lose control of or not be able to follow - these two aspects are always just a space bar away.

FeD.nL

This flew completely under my radar, so caught up in Hearthstone/HotS and Marvel Heroes I guess. but pre-loading now, pretty damn excited tbh.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I keep hitting the big blue button on Steam, hoping some noble soul pressed the launch button in secret.

It could happen.

Starviper

So glad I threw money at this Kickstarter; looks like it's turned out excellent. Between this and Bloodborne, I won't be getting much sleep in the coming days. :)

r3n4ud

Is it the prospect of the actual character creation screen you're feeling overwhelmed by, or the gameplay itself? When you say 'easier' and 'for beginners', are you looking for a class that's easy to not build terribly, or a class that's easy to play?

If the latter, my biggest tip would be first to gently nudge yourself away from worrying about being overwhelmed by controlling your chosen class and, instead, ease you into a mindset of worrying about being overwhelmed with the prospect of controlling your entire party. :p

Then, only once that expectation's in place, it can be time to allay any fears of the game being overwhelming. It'll be a challenging game, but not a chaotic unmanageable one that you'll lose control of or not be able to follow - these two aspects are always just a space bar away.
I was looking for a class that'll be easy to play/manage. I'll worry about my party after my character is up and running, lol

aravuus

I was looking for a class that'll be easy to play/manage. I'll worry about my party after my character is up and running, lol

Apparently you can build your party to pretty much rely on passive skills to make the fights easy/simple to manage, so I guess pretty much any class could be a good choice? Except for the casters, I suppose.

Zabojnik

I was answering 90% of the questions in the previous OT. All that info I contributed was insantly dumped when that OT was locked. Then EviLore got mad because 0 emphasis on NeoGaf's contribution to Pillars's kickstarter. Now we get a OT that is barebones and gushing over NeoGaf's involvement with the game. Seems like some kind of advertising.

If someone gives me control of this OT, I can make it good.

Dear Evilore & mods, please allow TrueMenace (and other crpg elders) to contribute as much as possible to the OP. We need it to be a goldmine of PoE information. Thank you very much.

Dr Dogg

It may be 2 hours but bear in mind those on Steam it's got to unpack first. Hope you all preloaded to an SSD and have the amount of space to decrypt it as well.

Edit:
just noticed that this is already in the OP.

Top stuff, cheers. Yeah as soon as I asked pahamrick dug out a post of yours from the beta thread. Thanks though anyway.

Do classes matter in dialogue/rpg context? Like if I'm a mage I get different talk options than when as a druid?

I've heard mention of that, and it wouldn't be surprising at all, but I don't think I've seen it confirmed for sure that all classes have unique dialogue options.

Ragus

Banned
Divnity Original Sin was to complicated for a freshman in a genre like. I wobder gów this gamę compares. Is it as hardcore?

Anno

Do classes matter in dialogue/rpg context? Like if I'm a mage I get different talk options than when as a druid?

There was at least one such option in the backer beta. Not sure how prevalent they would be, and if they are or are not distributed equally amongst classes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Divnity Original Sin was to complicated for a freshman in a genre like. I wobder gów this gamę compares. Is it as hardcore?

Based on what I've seeing in videos and talk in the thread Divinity:OS was much simpler than this will be. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I loved D:OS but it needed more depth.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Getting shit out of my PC so I can preload.

I piggybacked on another ISP outside my home and downloaded the preload (faster speeds), to my horror only to realize that one cannot take backups of steam preloads.

Copied the .\SteamApps\depotcache folder, came home, initiated a preload download on my home system, quit Steam, copied over the contents of that .\SteamApps\depotcache folder from my flash drive and booted up my steam client.

Currently my Steam Client shows preload complete for PoE, I'll cross my fingers and wait for the activation.

Wish me luck, else I'll need to piggyback the backup after activation too. Running on the streets, screaming give me bandwidth, GIVE ME BANDWIDTH!

Top Bottom