• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

aP9m9ya.gif

Based on what I've seeing in videos and talk in the thread Divinity:OS was much simpler than this will be. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I loved D:OS but it needed more depth.

I wouldn't say it lacks depth, just balance. It's easy to become wickedly powerful, trivializing a lot of fights. The game's straightforward environmental interaction system is a triumph, not a flaw.

Hopefully PoE has a better difficulty curve... though with how difficulty works in PoE, it should!

Alastor3

hmmm... since I played very little of BG1 and 2, but I wanted to be a wizard on hard to not miss possible encounter or ennemy, I wonder if the learning curve is good for a new player. How is the tutorial ?

deleted

Do I play in German or in English?

Normally I play all things in English and most of the stuff I watch is in English too, but there seems to be a rather complex gameplay system underneath the game, that I want/have to understand.. Since there is no German dub, it all depends on the translation.. Does anyone have any infos on it?

borborygmus

So glad this is coming out now. I'll focusing on Pillars of Eternity while waiting for Bloodborne load times / judder to get patched (hopefully soon).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty sure I didn't fuck anything up and have this right. Wasting company time making nonsense in MS Paint ohh yeah.

TW1olM2.jpg

Let me know if this is worthwhile, and if I made any mistakes, and I'll make more that go into the minutia of stuff like Attack/Recovery Speed, Attack Resolution, Damage Calculation and so on and how they're all actually calculated. Maybe stuff like Damage Types and Defense Types. What else am I supposed to do at work for the next 6 1/2 hours?

Dsyndrome

So Hard's the way to go for what was intended (encounters, etc.)? Hopefully I don't get my shit pushed in, opening 5+ hours of BG owned me every time I ventured into the fog of war.

FGMPR

Banned
I have a profile, the trick works with DSR though.

You do need to use a console command in-game to comfortably downsample:

Pillars of Eternity downsampling guide:

To get the best image quality on the 3D rendered stuff, while maintaining the full quality of the backgrounds, I suggest this (if your hw can handle it):
  • Downsample from exactly 4x the resolution (e.g. I'm using 5120x2880 on my 1440p screen).
  • Since this is a Unity game, if you are using DSR you will need to set your desktop resolution to your downsampling resolution before launching PoE for this to actually work. (It just works with GeDoSaTo)
  • UI will scale automatically, so there's no need to do anything regarding that.
  • Your zoom limits will be messed up though: by default the game won't let you zoom closer than a 1:1 mapping of background pixels to display pixels. Since you are downsampling, every "display pixel" the game sees is actually just 1/4 of a physical pixel, so you'd like to zoom in further.
    Luckily, this is easy to fix: open the console (look up the key for that in the options) and type "setZoomRange 0.5 100". 0.5 will let you zoom in such that you get 1:1 mapping of background image pixels to real physical pixels again with 4x dowsampling.
  • Additionally, you can use the command "msaa N" to enable NxMSAA, e.g. "msaa 4". It doesn't make a huge difference on top of 4x downsampling though.

Edit:
just noticed that this is already in the OP.

I know I should probably just try for myself once its out, but do you think AMD's downsampling option will work without changing the desktop resolution?

Altazor

Pretty sure I didn't fuck anything up and have this right. Wasting company time making nonsense in MS Paint ohh yeah.

*snip*

Let me know if this is worthwhile, and if I made any mistakes, and I'll make more that go into the minutia of stuff like Attack/Recovery Speed, Attack Resolution, Damage Calculation and so on and how they're all actually calculated. Maybe stuff like Damage Types and Defense Types. What else am I supposed to do at work for the next 6 1/2 hours?

excellent! Especially because the Engagement system is one of the most... obtuse? difficult? unintuitive? things in the game. Disengagement attacks can be a pain, especially if you're used to hit and run.

Hupsel

Bloodborne and Pillars in march ahhh life is good. Dont much about the game yet, just saw some videos. There's no romance, right? Is there a homepage talking about some of the party members? Couldn't find it on their official site
smile.gif

LiK

Haha, cool. Downloading my KS backer copy as we speak. That is a pretty nice portrait of EviLore. I can order him around in the virtual world!

excellent! Especially because the Engagement system is one of the most... obtuse? difficult? unintuitive? things in the game. Disengagement attacks can be a pain, especially if you're used to hit and run.

It's just an interpretation of D&D's Attack of Opportunity system that makes sense in video games. The explanation is tough to comprehend point-blank, though, for sure.

It sounds a lot better than threat-based combat targetting, which leads to very bothersome or buggy combat encounters. Dragon Age ought to drop it (along with everyone else at this point) and go full action.

Tommyhawk

Do I play in German or in English?

Normally I play all things in English and most of the stuff I watch is in English too, but there seems to be a rather complex gameplay system underneath the game, that I want/have to understand.. Since there is no German dub, it all depends on the translation.. Does anyone have any infos on it?

The reviewer from Gamestar commented on that:

Der größte Kritikpunkt liegt in der Übersetzung. Halt! Nicht voreilig »War ja klar!« rufen.
Denn die Übersetzung ist insgesamt gesehen sehr gut - streckenweise sogar herausragend. Aber ihr fehlt Feinschliff.
Es gibt immer wieder kleine Fehler, falsche Übersetzungen von einzelnen Worten, die mich dazu zwingen, einen Satz zweimal zu lesen, damit ich ihn verstehe.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/pillars-of-eternity/artikel/pillars_of_eternity,48834,3084291.html

So it's all in all ok but with some minor problems.

Their test will be out by tomorrow since he's 70h into the game but hasn't completed it yet. :O

One way they've made the engagement system a little more intuitive at a glance is that when you're engaged, the movement cursor for that character has a little red glow under it. That way you'll always know when moving away will incur a disengagement attack.

Buggy Loop

No rogue companion is a strange design decision. That means if you want some sneak/lockpick/stealing mechanics, you're forces to make your main a rogue, or sacrifice the skills of another class to get those abilities (i think you can for example go stealth with any class? not sure).

Alastor3

wcYsLeA.jpg

Good Guy Enduin

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Thanks, I updated it with some extra notes at the bottom to expand on a couple things and emphasize how devastating Disengagement Attacks can be and the importance of monitoring engagement.

No rogue companion is a strange design decision. That means if you want some sneak/lockpick/stealing mechanics, you're forces to make your main a rogue, or sacrifice the skills of another class to get those abilities (i think you can for example go stealth with any class? not sure).
Not the case. Any character can put points into the stealth/mechanics skills. Rogue is not a skill monkey in this game. They're defined more by their fighting style (dirty, deceptive, evasive).

Altazor

It's just an interpretation of D&D's Attack of Opportunity system that makes sense in video games. The explanation is tough to comprehend point-blank, though, for sure.

It sounds a lot better than threat-based combat targetting, which leads to very bothersome or buggy combat encounters. Dragon Age ought to drop it (along with everyone else at this point) and go full action.

considering I'm a complete noob to D&D (yep, never played a single pen-and-paper game of it), I don't actually know how "Attacks of Opportunity" actually work. I'll read on it :D

One way they've made the engagement system a little more intuitive at a glance is that when you're engaged, the movement cursor for that character has a little red glow under it. That way you'll always know when moving away will incur a disengagement attack.

yeah, small steps. Thanks to Sensuki's videos (and now Enduin's guide) I'm starting to "get" it :D

Thanks, I updated it with some extra notes at the bottom to expand on a couple things and emphasize how devastating Disengagement Attacks can be and the importance of monitoring engagement.

now it's even better! Thanks!

Theodran

No words can describe how hyped I am for this game. I played the Baldur's Gate games, along with all the other IE games, multiple times through. I met some of my best friends through a chat room dedicated to Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate was the game that really got me into role playing games - and I never looked back. It is a genre that really brought me out of my shell, gave me a footing both game taste wise as well as socially. So there was no hesitation when it was announced and put on Kickstarter. I splurged 250 dollar's on the signed Collector's Edition. The reviews confirm that I can be assured that my money was well spent.

As much as I love my wife and like my in-laws, I truly wish I didn't have to leave town for a trip with them this weekend. I just want to forget what's happening around me, and play this game...

Lord Phol

So any kind of movement you do while engaged results in a disengagement attack? Even if you just say take a single step to the right?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Any class can can stealth and pick apart locks and traps as long as you invest into the Stealth and/or Mechanics skills. It's free skill system, ZERO restrictions.

Incorrect, they decoupled lockpicking, trap detection, etc. from the rogue class altogether and is now a mechanics skill. Any class can do those things, same with stealth. Rogues get an initial bonus to those skills to start off but I don't believe in the long run it will make a huge difference.

pahamrick

Any class can can stealth and pick apart locks and traps as long as you invest into the Stealth and/or Mechanics skills. It's free skill system, ZERO restrictions.

Not to mention, if someone doesn't want to make their main a Rogue but REALLY wants a Rogue on their team, they can hire and create a Rogue mercenary.

Altazor

So any kind of movement you do while engaged results in a disengagement attack? Even if you just say take a single step to the right?

if I understand it correctly, yes - but there are weapons/abilities/talents that can break engagement so you can move away without suffering a disengagement attack.

shandy706

Ah!

I said in the review thread I didn't know what this was.

LOL, derp. Now I do. I remember the discussions and the money raising around this game.

Looks like it delivered. Awesome!

So Hard's the way to go for what was intended (encounters, etc.)? Hopefully I don't get my shit pushed in, opening 5+ hours of BG owned me every time I ventured into the fog of war.

I think it has been stated that the devs consider Hard difficulty their preferred encounter design. A lot of the reviews have indicated that even normal difficultly can be pretty challenging, so YMMV. Fortunately you can increase / decrease the difficulty at any time.

I will probably start off with hard and see how it goes.

Gaz_RB

This is one of the greatest weeks in gaming. Just finished Bloodborne and now I'm gonna hop into this bad boy tonight.

Volodja

I'll have like 1 hour to play the game as soon as it comes out before I have to go out, thankfully I'll just have to stay out for about 2 or 3 hours. I'll probably barely be able to create a character.

I'm thinking of messing around with a Chanter, the Summoner Tank guide on Sensuki's channel seems pretty low maintenance, but I'll have to see what the chants and invocations are.
Not sure about the Race.

thanks, sounds good enough. will report back for other potential ultrabook users.

Looks like there actually is an in-game way to turn off anti-aliasing, it's just not exposed in the GUI. If you bring up the in-game console and enter "msaa 0" that will turn off anti-aliasing. No need to mess around with the driver control panel.

Top Bottom