• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

pahamrick

That was only at level 3 at least. It was my most successful path of iron run so far though. *cue laugh track*

I kind of like the path of iron in a roguelike sense, but some sort of cutscene skip sure would be nice.

Level 3 isn't too bad, and a cutscene skip would be welcome. I need to start over again after Steam ate my saves for some reason, but I'm debating if I want to go back to being a Wizard or try some off the wall builds to see how I'd manage, like a ranged guns only Paladin.

Some of the reactivity is a bit disappointing. (Spoiler for side-quests in Act 2)
I finished the quest for House D called Changing of the Guard and I had experience with them from another side quest where I killed one of their members in another town. The latter was never mentioned which was questionable but a few missions later I did another side quest that involved their branch. When a woman mentioned she was from their family the only dialogue options available were questions like "Who is House D" or "Why should I care about House D?"

pahamrick

Some of the reactivity is a bit disappointing. (Spoiler for side-quests in Act 2)
I finished the quest for House D called Changing of the Guard and I had experience with them from another side quest where I killed one of their members in another town. The latter was never mentioned which was questionable but a few missions later I did another side quest that involved their branch. When a woman mentioned she was from their family the only dialogue options available were questions like "Who is House D" or "Why should I care about House D?"

Yeah, some of the reactivity is odd. That, plus how almost no one reacts to Godlikes appearance.

But then you get things like (Opening Tutorial Spoiler + Early Act 1 Quest Spoiler)
Where if you slaughter the entire caravan you get a nice scripted scene where your character is admiring the slaughter before running into the ruins then you're able to tell the guide's sister you slaughtered her.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not highlighting those spoilers, but I do think it's a little funny with a ranger how everyone's concerned about random wolves, but no one will react if you (pet spoiler)
send a freaking BEAR roaming around their camp. Too bad you can't tell the bear to attack NPCs until combat is actually triggered.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, some of the reactivity is odd. That, plus how almost no one reacts to
Godlikes
appearance.

An Orge reacted, but it was only referenced twice.

Also killed the bloody
Drake
below the pit with a lvl 5 party with 5 members (on Hard), I hadn't prepared for this kind of encounter but it felt godlike after putting it down. And I am a Fire Godlike Monk (the irony, fire vs fire).

JC Sera

Everyone skipping the gold-named NPCs with the soul backgrounds - keep in mind you only get to play Pillars of Eternity for the first time once in your life. Savor it!

Why would you skip them? They're extremely well-written, and for at least two thirds of them, if they would have kept going I would have kept reading. That's how intriguing and compelling they often are. They're almost like great writing prompts, or super short stories (micro-stories).
Some are very disturbing and
triggering
See
Vulture
in the Goose & Fox Inn

My favourites so far is the Orlan Lady in the Dozen, and Mort du Jest in the Brackenbury Inn.

Some of the soul backgrounds are well-written but they take me out of the game. For example, given I know what the Vulture is doing shouldn't I be able to then react? Instead I'm letting a
deranged serial killer
roam around.

Edit: Although upon thinking about it I guess they're supposed to be
past lives
?

pahamrick

Some of the soul backgrounds are well-written but they take me out of the game. For example, given I know what the Vulture is doing shouldn't I be able to then react? Instead I'm letting a
deranged serial killer
roam around.

I thought that soul backgrounds were peeks into what had happened in the
past, not necessarily the present?

Edit: Yeah, wasn't quick enough to get your edit.

I thought that soul backgrounds were peeks into what had happened in the
past, not necessarily the present?
That's what I thought but the story where
the woman cheats on her husband with the blue moon godlike is connected to a blue moon godlike.
Imagine the lore will be fleshed out at some point or I missed something.

pahamrick

That's what I thought but the story where
the woman cheats on her husband with the blue moon godlike is connected to a blue moon godlike.
Imagine the lore will be fleshed out at some point or I missed something.

Yeah, it's so hard to tell because of situations like that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, some of the reactivity is odd. That, plus how almost no one reacts to Godlikes appearance.[/SPOILER]
ive run across references specific to my Death Godlike a few times. i guess one thing to consider is the setting. Godlikes in Pillars do not seem to be as rare as say Planetouched/Genasi in the Forgotten Realms or D&D in general. Like the whole reincarnation thing they are just a fact of life in the setting.

And i think the souls might be both past and present. Its hard to tell because dialogue is almost never used with them (there is only one that i can recall where dialogue is present and when it happened i immediately noticed it).

pahamrick

ive run across references specific to my Death Godlike a few times. i guess one thing to consider is the setting. Godlikes in Pillars do not seem to be as rare as say Planetouched/Genasi in the Forgotten Realms or D&D in general. Like the whole reincarnation thing they are just a fact of life in the setting.

And i think the souls might be both past and present. Its hard to tell because dialogue is almost never used with them (there is only one that i can recall where dialogue is present and when it happened i immediately noticed it).

I didn't get too far with my Death Godlike, so I probably haven't seen any of the others. I just thought the most telling bit was when you get that one conversation with
Eder after sleeping, and he mentions something about seeing the bags under your character's eyes due to lack of sleep.

I think having some slightly different text appear for Death Godlike's might have worked a bit better.

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
Can someone tell me how to end Act I?
I killed Raedric, built a lot of stuff at the stronghold and cleared 4 floors of the dungeon below.. Did i miss something? The bridge to the big city is still broken.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I killed Raedric, built a lot of stuff at the stronghold and cleared 4 floors of the dungeon below.. Did i miss something? The bridge to the big city is still broken.

You have to
take the long way around to the other bridge

Corpekata

Banned

One of the stronghold upgrades will clear a path out of the stronghold south. The game should've heavily hinted at you to build it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
II think having some slightly different text appear for Death Godlike's might have worked a bit better.
i agree. id like to see everything referenced more often (race, class, culture, background) but there is only so much time for developers to do stuff. Branching dialogues gets complex fast. Its the reason why most rpgs dont even attempt it. Might be something a community flavor mod might do later like the NPC mod for BG1.

Finally noticed party banter while running around Defiance Bay. i had thought there was none in the game so that was a pleasant surprise.

pahamrick

i agree. id like to see everything referenced more often (race, class, culture, background) but there is only so much time for developers to do stuff. Branching dialogues gets complex fast. Its the reason why most rpgs dont even attempt it. Might be something a community flavor mod might do later like the NPC mod for BG1.

Finally noticed party banter while running around Defiance Bay. i had thought there was none in the game so that was a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, I had the benefit of only playing the BG games for the first time last year so I kinda lucked out in that aspect.

As far as party banter, in 20+ hours I think I've only gotten 5 or so banters.

Sober

Playing a Paladin in any video game is playing all of your party members because you actual PC is boring.

(Totally me, Paladin Lawful Good Benevolent Honest Passionate)
RPing a Paladin is more fun in PoE because you aren't tied to alignments, just base yourself on what your order is about. Goldpact is hilarious because I basically demand people to pay me to make their problems go away (like in Act 1 with K
olsc
vs. R
eadric
)

But yeah, Paladins are mechanically boring as hell. They don't even get spells anymore like in some D&D versions, their per-use stuff is kinda bland, but at least they are a decent off-tank/support/middle-of-the-road DPS. They just don't really bring anything worthwhile that other classes can or have any real big showstoppers. You can probably dump them and not really feel the hurt. Sure, a Paladin can be a force multiplier but I think I'd rather have a priest more often than not.

Sadly only Blizzard I've found has made Paladin-style classes fun to play at all. Otherwise the D&D Paladin template is really, really dull. It's sad because I love the Paladin concept, the idiot that I am.

Arcteryx

deranged serial killer
roam around.

Edit: Although upon thinking about it I guess they're supposed to be
past lives
?

Some are their present lives though. Check the wording

Also: you CAN react to them :)
just A-click on them

Sober

I think someone else pointed it out/complained about it earlier in the thread, but some of the autopause options are working both ways, which is annoying.

Especially annoying is "pause on ability finish" and if you have the Larder Door, well ... enjoy.

Ya know, I praise Obsidian for sticking true to this very specific CRPG format, and even trying to soothe the warts and all, but I thought we had fixed issues like camping and combat flow long ago.
On the other hand, PoE wouldn't be a IE game if it didn't do these particular things.

I could use less hoity toity prose though, but whatever, it fits.

Noaloha

I think someone else pointed it out/complained about it earlier in the thread, but some of the autopause options are working both ways, which is annoying.

Especially annoying is "pause on ability finish" and if you have the Larder Door, well ... enjoy.
I think that was me and (unless there's a bug I'm unaware of) it's not working both ways, it's just that you're occasionally manually pausing a split-second after an auto-pause is triggered, resulting in a manual unpause. It's rare but, assuming at least one auto-pause is set, it's always a possibility.

I made a thread on the forums requesting an additional keybind option for pausing, implemented like the keybind options for Scouting Mode. The game currently has a single keybind for pause/unpause toggle, but I'd like two other keybinds dedicated to just pause and just unpause.

Blizzard

Banned
I think that was me and (unless there's a bug I'm unaware of) it's not working both ways, it's just that you're occasionally manually pausing a split-second after an auto-pause is triggered, resulting in a manual unpause. It's rare but, assuming at least one auto-pause is set, it's always a possibility.

I made a thread on the forums requesting an additional keybind option for pausing, implemented like the keybind options for Scouting Mode. The game currently has a single keybind for pause/unpause toggle, but I'd like two other keybinds dedicated to just pause and just unpause.
I think it was me, and it is working both ways...specifically if you choose to pause on ineffective weapon hits, the tooltip says it pauses for ineffective hits from party members (which makes sense because you would want to know you need to change weapons). But, it pauses if an enemy hits say, your companion and is ineffective, resulting in constant pauses. So, I've just ditched that pause option.

I don't know any way to tell when a weapon is ineffective besides fighting enough enemies for them to be in the known data page, and/or noticing low combat damage numbers.

Noaloha

I think it was me, and it is working both ways...specifically if you choose to pause on ineffective weapon hits, the tooltip says it pauses for ineffective hits from party members (which makes sense because you would want to know you need to change weapons). But, it pauses if an enemy hits say, your companion and is ineffective, resulting in constant pauses. So, I've just ditched that pause option.

I don't know any way to tell when a weapon is ineffective besides fighting enough enemies for them to be in the known data page, and/or noticing low combat damage numbers.
Oh shit, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood how "both ways" was being used, ha. Assumed it was referring to both pause and unpause being applied.

Ketch

Now I just want to reroll and make a paladin. 18 might, soldier weapon focus for the great sword, 2 handed specialization, savage attacks, accuracy aura, smite, and sworn enemy.

Just do like double or triple damage with a great sword. That would be fun.

Farks!

It's my understanding that Chris didn't end up writing much for this game, he's supposedly being working Obsidian's upcoming other Kickstarter.

O.DOGG

Ah. I'm only familiar with the first one, but that makes sense. Way more interesting than the others (IMO).

Agreed. The first thing that struck me was how much more interesting Durance was, and the depth he had when compared to the rest of the characters I've encountered so far. Then I saw in the Wiki that he was written by Chris Avellone and then it made sense. I have yet to recruit
the Grieving Mother
but I'm looking forward to it.

Shengar

So uhh, I somehowd ended up opened
the bell door below Eorthas Temple
For clarity sake,
what was the order again? And the hint supposed to be in Book of Verses right?

Nohar

I'm waiting for the first patch to be released before buying and playing this game (I avoid playing game at release; too many bugs for my taste, don't want to break my game). Any idea when it should be released? I read it was due this week.

Raytow

I like the Druid companion the best, I'm always up for some comic relief, too bad he is too squishy to be a frontliner, only Edas is decent at it, even the Paladin sucks.

rakhir

Any idea when it should be released? I read it was due this week.
That's the only info we have for now, Obsidian is pretty silent about the game to be honest.
For clarity sake,
[first dungeon spoiler]
There are a lot of hints actually: book of verses, a note from an initiate, a hint from one of the visions. It was right, middle, left, right, IIRC.

Corsick

I like the Druid companion the best, I'm always up for some comic relief, too bad he is too squishy to be a frontliner, only Edas is decent at it, even the Paladin sucks.

This is a bit of a theme that's making me feel very restricted with how I build my party. I'm maining a 2hnd DPS Barbarian and slowly but surely every other member of my party except the tank has moved to rifle/crossbow. It feels like either you're a tank or a ranged dps class. Every melee oriented class feels weak/squishy and overly prone to dying without tons of micromanagement beyond what I have to worry about with other classes. The problem is I don't notice some sort of trade off, it's just worse being melee DPS. I really wish you could wear heavy armor as a melee and retain your attack speed.

Corpekata

Banned
For clarity sake,

The hints are from a vision and the book. The vision hints that the right bell is rung first and last, and you get the other two from the book as each bell stands in for one of the speakers. The right speaks first and last in the book too. I'm not sure if there's a direct clue as to how to deduce who the left and middle are, but really its pretty trial and error once you know the right is first and last and there are 4 times the characters speak.

I just got him, gave him a hatchet I found in Old Nua with fire damage and with his talent he's a dps machine. Of course he can also cast a huge number of amazing spells and transform into a crazy beastman. Awesome comp so far.

Nordicus

The hints are from a vision and the book. The vision hints that the right bell is rung first and last, and you get the other two from the book as each bell stands in for one of the speakers. The right speaks first and last in the book too. I'm not sure if there's a direct clue as to how to deduce who the left and middle are, but really its pretty trial and error once you know the right is first and last and there are 4 times the characters speak.
There is one more hint,
I think someone's handwritten note said that the large bell should be rung 2nd

Galileo

Neo Member
I've got a question about reputations in Act 2: Commander Clyver
won't give me any other quest because apparently I'm too friendly with the Dozens, does this mean I locked myself out of Crucible Knights content?

Galileo

Neo Member
Yes
But I only did the stolen armor quest, besides I already have a positive reputation with the knights too so I guess I wouldn't receive any quest from the Dozens either
EIDT: Just checked, you're right, even lowering my reputation doesn't change anything, now I have to reload a previous save unfortunately.

Lingitiz

It's my understanding that Chris didn't end up writing much for this game, he's supposedly being working Obsidian's upcoming other Kickstarter.

He wrote Durance and Grieving Mother but they were heavily edited by the rest of the narrative team. Other than that he provided narrative oversight, editing, suggestions, etc. So yes, not as involved as you might think but definitely not influential.

Grieving Mother is my favorite companion BTW. She's so strange but amazingly compelling.

Durante

Ya know, I praise Obsidian for sticking true to this very specific CRPG format, and even trying to soothe the warts and all, but I thought we had fixed issues like camping and combat flow long ago.
On the other hand, PoE wouldn't be a IE game if it didn't do these particular things.
What issues?

Shengar

That's the only info we have for now, Obsidian is pretty silent about the game to be honest.

[first dungeon spoiler]
There are a lot of hints actually: book of verses, a note from an initiate, a hint from one of the visions. It was right, middle, left, right, IIRC.

There is one more hint,
I think someone's handwritten note said that the large bell should be rung 2nd
There are many hints?! O_O
I guess I'm being lucky for being able to deduce it from one source of hint.

Top Bottom