• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Durante

There are many hints?! O_O
I guess I'm being lucky for being able to deduce it from one source of hint.
There are only two really. The
vision an the note
. If you have only one or the other you can still do it with a somewhat sane number of tries though.

What issues?
Stuff like resting, I never liked how dungeon crawling devolves into resting between big battles to refresh spells and waht not. Obsidian always tried to limit or put a band-aid on resting and PoE is their best implementation yet, but it's still a band-aid.

Also, I might catch some flak for this, but I never liked the combat on IE games; encounters tend to be either really fast or a slog depending on the enemies and the pacing never strikes a good balance.
Basically, other games have done it better since then, although it's great to have a game that throwbacks to a very specific style of gameplay, I sometimes wish it didn't.

Durante

Stuff like resting, I never liked how dungeon crawling devolves into resting between big battles to refresh spells and waht not. Obsidian always tried to limit or put a band-aid on resting and PoE is their best implementation yet, but it's still a band-aid.

Also, I might catch some flak for this, but I never liked the combat on IE games; encounters tend to be either really fast or a slog depending on the enemies and the pacing never strikes a good balance.
Basically, other games have done it better since then, although it's great to have a game that throwbacks to a very specific style of gameplay, I sometimes wish it didn't.
Well, I strongly disagree on both counts. Resting isn't an issue, it's an important resource management mechanic (at least on hard, which is the way the game is meant to be played). And the battle system is basically the best implementation of RTwP ever.

What games have "fixed" these "issues" in your opinion? I'm almost certain that the cure will be far worse than the disease (if there even is one) in my eyes.

Well, I strongly disagree on both counts. Resting isn't an issue, it's an important resource management mechanic (at least on hard, which is the way the game is meant to be played). And the battle system is basically the best implementation of RTwP ever.

What games have "fixed" these "issues" in your opinion? I'm almost certain that the cure will be far worse than the disease (if there even is one) in my eyes.
Well, resting as a mechanic usually tends to be done away with, or very limited, like say on Might and Magic you can't rest at all in dungeons. The idea of having to rest to regain cooldowns is what I really, really take issue with, since when designing a dungeon then have something to hang back, since characters can always rest they can design encounters with that in mind.

As for the combat, I think it also boils down to fundamentally preferring a more turn based game, like say the Jagged Alliance games, because thinking about fixing the issues I have with real-time pause tends to just do away with it for good.
One thing, though, I can say for sure, would vastly improve combat for me, some sort of grid based movement, since positioning matters a lot when casting spells.

edit:I also don't like the notion of how its "meant to be played" btw :p

Kinthalis

Banned

Examples of games that have "fixed this"? Or improve on combat?

Kinthalis

Banned
Damn, any help with Raedric's Keep?

Jeebus, the place is crawling with enemies, it's just insurmountble! (Playing on hard).

I entered the keep via the vines on the north west corner of the map. Found some robes and put them on. But I was discovered by a priestess who claimed that there were intruders around. They attacked and holy moly, the whole kepe descended on me. Something like 5 paladins, 6 or 7 guards, 4 priests and several acolytes.

I think I might win this battle if I play it balls ot the wall and use all my abilities, but I'm playing on hard and I have already used up a rest (several of my guys were exhausted after climbing the vines), so no way would I have enough powers left to take on Raedric. Any better ways in?

partyboy

Well, resting as a mechanic usually tends to be done away with, or very limited, like say on Might and Magic you can't rest at all in dungeons. The idea of having to rest to regain cooldowns is what I really, really take issue with, since when designing a dungeon then have something to hang back, since characters can always rest they can design encounters with that in mind.

A lot of people seem to festishize these old mechanics to the point where they actually prefer them being clunky. The wizard class is essentially relegated to auto-attack for the vast majority of your encounters, because the only real spells they have are limited and you need them for the tougher fights. How is that fun exactly?

It also makes no narrative sense that you can just plop a tent down almost anywhere and recover. Needlessly gamey. I hope Tides of Numenera isn't as rigidly old school in its implementation of combat and resource management, since those aren't the things I really care about being brought back to life when we talk about old school RPGs. You can make an RPG challenging without it being cumbersome.

Expose Vulnerabilites you guys. I took this on a whim from a level up. It's a godsend. It turned some of the High DR monsters I'd been fighting from struggles into cakewalks. The debuff power is really amazing if you have a party that can deal a lot of damage from other characters than the Wizard. Double especially if they are dual wielding. It's really an amazing spell in some setups. Highly worth the cost over the big names like Fireball, etc.
I have very few direct damage-dealing spells on Aloth; they're all things that cause status effects or debuffs that make the most of his AoE rather than his terrible Might. And yeah, I love Expose Vulnerabilities.

Tovarisc

Damn, any help with Raeger's Keep?

Jeebus, the place is crawling with enemies, it's just insurmountble! (Playing on hard).

I entered the keep via the vines on the north west corner of the map. Found some robes and put them on. But I was discovered by a priestess who claimed that there were introduders around. They attacked and holy molly, the whole kepe descended on me. Something like 5 paladins, 6 or 7 guards, 4 priests and several acolytes.

I think I might win this battle if I play it balls ot the wall and use all my abilities, but I'm playing on hard and I have already used up a rest (several of my guys were exausted after climbing the vines), so no way would I have enough powers left to take on Raeger. Any better ways in?

I went in through basement, right edge of the starting map. There is some ghouls and traps, but easier to kill than 10 paladins. From there I went to 2nd floor (top floor) and got robes from box. When wandering around in disguise there is one skillcheck you need pass.

If you pass check or manage to kill guards find elder priest to talk with on that floor. He is in room at end of 1st hallway. He gives you task that is easy to complete as you came through basement.

After task is done you get master key from him and should be able to rest when you talk to him. Key allows you to open the door on that 2nd floor and gives shortcut to throne room, bypassing 90% of guards.

partyboy

Yeah, definitely a welcome attitude. Someone will praise the game for allowing people to play the character they want to play, then dismiss your opinion because you're not playing it on the only allowable difficulty setting. Get real.

mabec

Hi believers,

I made that dumb crazy thing too and pledged a bunch of money i probably couldn't afford. But bugs aside, this is probably the best Kickstartered game out there.

Anyways, anyone out there found my Morning Star yet? If so, let me know and i might have an reward for you.

TNbLdN8.jpg

And yes, to my surprise Obsidian did accept my backstory to the weapon and helped rewrite it a bit due to my borked grammar (i bet)
(Super secret hint: There are rumors that this weapon holds hidden stats not mentioned in the actual description)

JC Sera

Had to backtrack 5 hours worth of game time because
I locked myself out of going with the crucible knights to the tribunal
dac15_sad.gif

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think resting is an extremely important part of the game. Otherwise I would just spam my most powerful AoE spells constantly in every battle.

robin2

I never liked the combat on IE games [...]
fundamentally preferring a more turn based game[...]
The game was kickstarted explicitly to be "Back to Baldur's Gate": it was obviously going to have RTwP combat and, as someone else already said, it's the best implementation yet. Resting included. I too long for the coming of the "next generation rpg", but this game was never going to be it.

Also you say you prefer turn-based combat (I do too) and yet you seem to fail to notice that the engagement system they introduced adds a degree of micromanagement to positioning, that makes the game combat ultimately more (as in "more than any other RTwP") similar to the micromanagement of positioning that naturally happens in turn-based combat (this of course provided you're playing at the proper difficulty for your ability).

If I had to identify issues, I find that the rpg system of the game still not fully ripe, some things need tuning-balancing or in rarer cases little reworking, but still it' way better than AD&D and more flexible than DAO's system. I also think the game is too silent on the background noise department (but maybe it's just me). And finally the setting could have been more exotic (but again, the goal of the game was always to be "Baldur's Gate 3", rather than "Torment 2", and in general this is a matter of personal preference).

KR_remix

It is worth it to
just kill everyone, I just walked through the front door and just killed everyone except for the upper floor where all the priests were because I forgot about them, and I made ~15k gold from selling looted items etc, probably coulda made more if I killed everyone upstairs too. Also this was on hard so the loot drops should be fairly similar since the encounters are the same. You can make 10k easy, 15k depending on what kinda items you find in containers and if you do the other areas.

Kvik

There is a specific note about a hiding place in one of the walls (keep scouting on in the chapel). Agree to help Nedmar (The Head Priest) to release Giacco from the dungeon. You can either slay everything in sight (keep scouting, plenty of traps below), or convince the Animancer to release Giacco.

Return to Nedmar with the good news, he'll give up the key (and shortcut) to the Throne Room. Once you're in the throne room, you can either side with Raedric (you must kill err.. whatshisname I can't remember) or kill him outright.

sunofsam

Hi believers,

I made that dumb crazy thing too and pledged a bunch of money i probably couldn't afford. But bugs aside, this is probably the best Kickstartered game out there.

Anyways, anyone out there found my Morning Star yet? If so, let me know and i might have an reward for you.

TNbLdN8.jpg

And yes, to my surprise Obsidian did accept my backstory to the weapon and helped rewrite it a bit due to my borked grammar (i bet)
(Super secret hint: There are rumors that this weapon holds hidden stats not mentioned in the actual description)

Aww thats awesome dude!!! Can't wait to find it!! Loving this game!

Kinthalis

Banned
A lot of people seem to festishize these old mechanics to the point where they actually prefer them being clunky. The wizard class is essentially relegated to auto-attack for the vast majority of your encounters, because the only real spells they have are limited and you need them for the tougher fights. How is that fun exactly?

If you were playing as one character, then yes, that would be a problem, but you aren't. You are playing as a party of 6. And managing your wizard's arsenal become spart of the strategy.

Maybe a better mix of per encounter and per rest abilities for everyone might have been beter can't argue with that. Wizards DO eventually start getting per encounter spells though, at higher levels.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got me a Castle. Filthy dungeon though, and that endless stuff is pretty tough.

okiemok

I think the backstory is pretty good. Excellent job.

and here's a funny, needlessly cruel dialogue option that most players will probably not get see because of the pre-requirement
Lol, how do you do that? I've been playing a benevolent character for the most part(minor anger issues) This game does need more cruel dialogue choices. I've been replaying Planescape lately and I'm constantly shocked by the terrible things you can do in that game. Bartender asks you to get rid of a customer who stopped paying? Slip poison that you found 3 zones away into her drink and watch as she chokes to death!

Violet_0

Banned
Lol, how do you do that? I've been playing a benevolent character for the most part(minor anger issues) This game does need more cruel dialogue choices. I've been replaying Planescape lately and I'm constantly shocked by the terrible things you can do in that game. Bartender asks you to get rid of a customer who stopped paying? Slip poison that you found 3 zones away into her drink and watch as she chokes to death!

just gotta
find the secret stash before he tells you where it is

say, which item is bugged for ciphers and disables focus entirely? I'm scared of equipping my character with any class-specific items

Fantastapotamus

Can anybody explain to me why random people are yelling at me on Twitter because of that weird "backer transmisogyny joke" in PoE? I have 9 followers, 8 of them are bots and the other one is Swery.
Yet for some reason I'm being bombarded (bombarded in my case means about 5 messages a day) about me tweeting "I wouldn't be angry if you took that out" at Josh. Why? Why me? I am nobody. I have no followers. I don't even really tweet that much. Is this happening to everybody? Who are those people?

Nyx

Noticed ''this is like BG3 man!' and got excited!

Noticed ''an i5 Processor is recommended'' and left.....

Damnit I need a new PC man... All these wonderful games lately.

sueil

Priest not only is a great class but durance is an amazing character and one of my favorites. Avellone does it again.

Fantastapotamus

Seriously? You are missing out on some very heavy dialogue if you do :D

I mean, yeah. But that'll happen with everybody. But I never really used him in battle.
My strategies rarely involve Buff and Debuff. Replaced him with a paladin and haven't lost a battle since.

Ourobolus

Banned
Been running around Defiance Bay doing quests, just got my paladin. Still haven't found the Ranger, Druid, or Cipher though.

This game is fantastic. Having so much fun.

So far, the Paladin is really weak. And reading the past few pages of this thread, seems like I'm in the same boat. I'll have to go find one of the others (definitely looking for the Druid and Cipher) so that I can stash the pally in the stronghold for questing.

I have proof that Hiravias is secretly the best companion - when asked about Pallegina

and here's a funny, needlessly cruel dialogue option that most players will probably not get see because of the pre-requirement

LOL. I've been playing a pretty good character, but I couldn't help but be a dick to that kid.

Kid: "But, I got it from her!"
Me: "I've never met that kid before in my life!"
Dad: "That's it, you're scrubbing chamber pots for the next 3 weeks."
Later, in the Goose and Fox,
Kid: "It's not fair..."

These goddamn chanter summons are OP as fuck if you activate battle with a scouting character and then run back to your party with enough time to have the chants ready from the get go.

Fantastapotamus

Warden's Lodge Bounties.

Lolomgroflcopter

Unlock it and get wrecked.

My strategy for the dweller was as follows: Run away, run away, run away, realise most of the enemies aren't following me anymore, kill one troll, repeat. It was the stupidest battle but in the end I prevailed and the entire map was littered with trolls and fallen companions.

Durante

As for the combat, I think it also boils down to fundamentally preferring a more turn based game, like say the Jagged Alliance games, because thinking about fixing the issues I have with real-time pause tends to just do away with it for good.
One thing, though, I can say for sure, would vastly improve combat for me, some sort of grid based movement, since positioning matters a lot when casting spells.
I really think those are more "preferences" than "issues", since "fixing" them would make the game worse for me. It looks like you just don't like resource management.

I think resting is an extremely important part of the game. Otherwise I would just spam my most powerful AoE spells constantly in every battle.
Yep, it also makes for a nice counter balance to the stash mechanic.
It's just another mechanic for "MP", so to speak. I think especially for classes like Cleric, it's a more interesting system.
Pretty much. I agree that it's more interesting than MP, since it's essentially like having 6 separate types of non-interchangeable MP.

Yeah, definitely a welcome attitude. Someone will praise the game for allowing people to play the character they want to play, then dismiss your opinion because you're not playing it on the only allowable difficulty setting. Get real.
I'm sorry if I offended you, but it's a fact that the game is designed for "hard". The developers confirmed as much. Every game will have a difficulty setting it is primarily built and designed for, and in the case of PoE it's hard.

Priest not only is a great class but durance is an amazing character and one of my favorites. Avellone does it again.
Yeah, Durance is amazing.

peakish

Seriously? You are missing out on some very heavy dialogue if you do :D
I usually dislike the gruff Durance archetype. However,
his character concept of having been guided by his God to construct the weapon which killed another God, only to then be cast aside, is great. I'm curious to see what resolution comes to him.
Great character, so far.

Also, I love his buffs. He's one of my most used characters in fights.

Tom Penny

Game really messes you up when you can access areas but it's not in the right order AKA the endless map in Nua. I've been trying to finish it before main questing and had to Google why I was stuck and another part in the game was required :(. On the other hand I am drilling the enemies progressing the story so I guess the time wasted fighting ridiculous enemies is sort of evening out.

UnrealEck

Hi believers,

Can't believe it took me so long to realise that mace is named after you. I should really read posts from the beginning instead of looking straight at the pretty pictures.

These goddamn chanter summons are OP as fuck if you activate battle with a scouting character and then run back to your party with enough time to have the chants ready from the get go.

That's cheating
or just good strategy

Everyone skipping the gold-named NPCs with the soul backgrounds - keep in mind you only get to play Pillars of Eternity for the first time once in your life. Savor it!

Why would you skip them? They're extremely well-written, and for at least two thirds of them, if they would have kept going I would have kept reading. That's how intriguing and compelling they often are. They're almost like great writing prompts, or super short stories (micro-stories).

Agreed. Though I wish they would have some more connected somehow. Maybe you see an event from the perspective of one person and then, somewhere else in the world, you see the same event from a different perspective.

V_Arnold

I mean, yeah. But that'll happen with everybody. But I never really used him in battle.
My strategies rarely involve Buff and Debuff. Replaced him with a paladin and haven't lost a battle since.

Thing is, I rarely used him for buffs either. But the "ball that goes in a straight line, damaging ALL enemies and healing ALL allies" thing is a must have in all teamfights. I would have died many times without it.

And proof in Avellone's greatness is that I did not even know that he wrote his parts, but just loved some dialogues. I was weirded out by Durance's passive-agressiveness, only to realize that he has no threat in this tone, just some grumpiness. That is why I agreed to let him in.

Top Bottom