• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)

TheJollyCorner said:
I'd imagine YYZ is knee deep in rainbowing the shit out of Encore. :D

I hope so, for our sakes! :D

Any help on doing the boss on Hard 1? I just canny do him :(

Managed to Rainbow 5 stages now. One more to unlock the Bonus 2 stage. It is a lot harder this time but I'm getting there.

Wonder if they'll do a sequel to this...

Katana_Strikes said:
I hope so, for our sakes! :D

Managed to Rainbow 5 stages now. One more to unlock the Bonus 2 stage. It is a lot harder this time but I'm getting there.

Wonder if they'll do a sequel to this...

I hope so.

I'm really looking forward to PixelJunk Eden, though.

Tntnnbltn

Katana_Strikes said:
Is that Armidargh? I think we used a combination of cannons and mortar towers. Bought a bunch of towers to black before he came, and sold off the upper towers as he went out of range so we could buy more upgrades at the lower towers.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Armidargh is a Medium level, isn't it. (I haven't got access to my PS3 at the moment)

Was it the one on the cliff with the 4 lines of trees separated by rocks? That one was cannons and fire towers. Once again, when he got out of range we sold off the lower towers to buy more upgrades near the base.

This strategy work better on co-op, of course. You have one person dancing near the base and buying upgrades, while the other person frantically sells off towers and collects gems.

Tntnnbltn said:
Is that Armidargh? I think we used a combination of cannons and mortar towers. Bought a bunch of towers to black before he came, and sold off the upper towers as he went out of range so we could buy more upgrades at the lower towers.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Armidargh is a Medium level, isn't it. (I haven't got access to my PS3 at the moment)

Was it the one on the cliff with the 4 lines of trees separated by rocks? That one was cannons and fire towers. Once again, when he got out of range we sold off the lower towers to buy more upgrades near the base.

This strategy work better on co-op, of course. You have one person dancing near the base and buying upgrades, while the other person frantically sells off towers and collects gems.

It was the Snake layout one, yeah. I managed to do it now. I'm a bit stuck though as I need to get perfects to progress to whatever levels are left to do.

Someone hurry up with putting some vids up! :lol

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
How many rainbows does it take to open up everything in Encore? I have six and it looks like I that's all I need.

buffi

Banned
Fucking finally

NeMMSuKIv.jpg

pdKNEHuVG.jpg

(cooperative mode)

EGM92

buffi said:
Fucking finally

http://pici.se/pictures/NeMMSuKIv.jpg[/img
[img]http://pici.se/pictures/pdKNEHuVG.jpg[/img

(cooperative mode)[/QUOTE]
It's probably LOADS easier with CO-OP :( having 2 people dancing on multiple towers must be great.

buffi

Banned
Yeah, it most likely is. I haven't really tried single player that much.
We did however have to rainbow Tiki island twice :)

First I purchased the game in the American store and rainbowed everything. Then I couldn't wait for the expansion to hit outside of Japan and purchased PJM+Encore from the Japanese store to avoid waiting.

Of course the American save-file didn't work with the japanese game+encore so we had to repeat Tiki island on the Japanese version as well to get all rainbows on the same save file.

At least Q-games should like me for giving them more money :)

Tntnnbltn

EGM92 said:
It's probably LOADS easier with CO-OP :( having 2 people dancing on multiple towers must be great.
But towers take twice as long to upgrade. :p (Unless both people are dancing on the same tower)

But yeah, it is a lot easier because you can multi-task. It was a surprise when I played single-player how much time you waste when you run around collecting coins. On co-op, at least when one person is collecting the other person is still working on a tower. On SP, I come back to my tower and it's done nothing.

Er, before I go completely mad...any idea how to beat the boss on Hard 1 without mines? Flamethrowers seem to be too slow to do much damage. I did about 50% damage using mortars but that was over the entire course of the level path. Kinda stumped what could possibly kill it now...I guess I'll try the hive? *shrug*

Tntnnbltn

Crazymoogle said:
Er, before I go completely mad...any idea how to beat the boss on Hard 1 without mines? Flamethrowers seem to be too slow to do much damage. I did about 50% damage using mortars but that was over the entire course of the level path. Kinda stumped what could possibly kill it now...I guess I'll try the hive? *shrug*
Hard 1 is the snake one? (Someone asked this before I think)

Instead of buying mortars, use those extra 15(?) gems on buying cannons to black. That should give you the firepower you need to stop him. The extra coins you have from not buying mortar towers everywhere means you can build loads of cannons.

(Keep the fire towers obviously because you need them for the shielded ones)

YYZ

TheJollyCorner said:
I'd imagine YYZ is knee deep in rainbowing the shit out of Encore. :D
eh, sorry :(

My home is going to PS3-less until the MGS4 bundle when I can pick up an 80GB system. My 20GB went kaput. I feel bad that I can't even play the Encore until then so I'll be very late with videos if they're even needed by then.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Good god encore is hard. Not enjoying it so much :-\
Its like someone else said they left off from the difficulty from the original made it harder and you get "easy" levels of money when the monsters are on "medium" or "hard" level of difficulty.

Im not uber baddass or anything, but if I'm having a hard time just beating a level after several tries its pretty hard. I never had a problem at least beating a level in the original.

captive said:
Good god encore is hard. Not enjoying it so much :-\
Its like someone else said they left off from the difficulty from the original made it harder and you get "easy" levels of money when the monsters are on "medium" or "hard" level of difficulty.

Im not uber baddass or anything, but if I'm having a hard time just beating a level after several tries its pretty hard. I never had a problem at least beating a level in the original.

Yeah, I would have at least calmed down slightly if they had called it "very hard", "extreme", and "european extreme" instead of easy,medium, hard. :lol

I'm making progress...it's just incredibly slow. 2 rainbows, 7 levels beat, and I can't say I could easily beat or rainbow those levels a second time. I will only say that despite the flamethrower not seeming to be so useful...go for it right away on that first level. It does work...

Tntnnbltn: Thanks for the advice. It *did* work, but not in a terribly reassuring fashion; despite lining most of the path with cannons and using black cannons on the key points, the boss still made it to the end and did the kill dance for a bit. I had a black and green cannon there, finally killed the darn thing when I had two of the little guys left in the base camp.

I left the level feeling that I absolutely half to get mines if I want to stand any chance of further progression. -_-

Tntnnbltn

Kinan said:
Special 2, wtf... Any advices?
Ice towers? :p

I don't know. The method we've had the most success with is two ice towers with cannons and arrows for the first few waves (+ 1 black anti-air to take care of everything flying). Eventually sell off the cannons and arrows and replace them with tesla towers. That can usually see us through to the end of wave 19, but nothing we've done has been able to kill the boss.

Tntnnbltn said:

I don't know. The method we've had the most success with is two ice towers with cannons and arrows for the first few waves (+ 1 black anti-air to take care of everything flying). Eventually sell off the cannons and arrows and replace them with tesla towers. That can usually see us through to the end of wave 19, but nothing we've done has been able to kill the boss.

Damn, doesn't sound good. Looks like it's going to be a real pain too. I presume you get the mine after doing this level?

I'm quite stuck on it now though. I need 8 and 9 Rainbows to get any further.

Also, is everyone else having the problem where you can't see you're total global scores for Tiki Island. It works fine on the new island but not the first...

Brashnir

Tntnnbltn said:

Fire, Fire, Fire, AND FIRE. Use arrows, cannons and Anti-Air guns for the first few waves. Forget ice, it doesn't really help. Get 3 flame towers and two mortars in the middle, plus flame towers in the upper left and lower right, and a flame tower right behind the base. Upgrade them as much as you can, if you have 2 black mortars and 3 black/3 red flame towers, the boss should go down.

buffi

Banned
There is a video on how to rainbow special 2 in encore on youtube (not mine) which is pretty close to the strategy I used.

Pretty much ignore ice, fire, mortar and anti air and only use arrow and cannon towers. Then build a fully upgraded hive tower ASAP. Works wonders.

I hade to use a lot more remote mines than the guy on youtube though, but my strategy wasn't quite as good I guess :)

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTNRFEYiTk

Hive tower is also awesome on the final level in encore.

Kinan

Wow, thanks a lot. I was trying the god damn ice towers since they were hinting about it, should have ignored that.

Also cool to know that different strategies do work on this level, <3 PJM.

Space Invaders level = Awesomeness

Bit easy though!

I'd have loved some more variations of this. Heck it could be a game in itself. Mini-game confirmed! Put that in the next one PJ.

HiVision

Katana_Strikes said:
I'd have loved some more variations of this. Heck it could be a game in itself. Mini-game confirmed! Put that in the next one PJ.

Tum Tum Island gives you *at least* thousands of variations of this level :D

Dante

The learning curve of the levels is a little steeper, but once you learn them it's not all that more difficult then the original. I'll rainbow em all eventually it may just take me longer :)

I Loooooooooooove the new music tracks BTW

herod

It's just getting your head around new strategies I think. We were stuck in the easy stages, but then getting Paku-Paku done (just a little bit a of planning
and a hive
more than anything is required to do this) opens up the pretty easy special 1 (easy to finish, at any rate), then suddenly with the run ability you can do the other levels a lot easier too. Getting that second rainbow and plowing headlong through Medium and into Hard was nice, we pretty much did 4-5 maps at the first or second attempt.

OMG any tip for the last boss stage? The loveheart shaped one. I got right to the very last boss
es
and I just don't have enough fire power to take em down in time.

Swan Song

DjangoReinhardt said:
How many rainbows does it take to open up everything in Encore? I have six and it looks like I that's all I need.

You need at least 8 (might be 9, but I can't remember right now.) I've beat all the levels and rainbowed 8 (or 9, again, I can't remember. It all becomes a blur after awhile, hehe.)

On Snake Pit I HAD to use bombs on the boss to rainbow it. The easy level you have to beat to get to the special level I cannot rainbow for the life of me. The special 2 level where you get the bombs...not even gonna try to rainbow. The last level I tried every combination to try and beat and again, I had to eventually use bombs.

I like how this expansion forces you to use towers and strategies that you could get by without in the original game. Unfortunately, it also requires a lot of memorization and pre-planning. Trying to win by reacting on the fly to events is a guaranteed route to failure.

Rlan

Picked up PixelJunk Monsters last night having a blast!

I accidentilly went from Easy 1 to Medium 1 first through :lol Got very close to beating it (Round 19). Then started through the easys again.

Strangely cheaper in Australia. It's the only good thing about the Aus / European store (which is god awful compared to the US store). It's 8.45AU instead of 9.99US or 15.41 which is what most 9.99 games end up being.

Just a quick question - if I unlock a kind of tower with opals or whatever once, I can use it constantly for the rest of the game, right?

Rlan said:
Just a quick question - if I unlock a kind of tower with opals or whatever once, I can use it constantly for the rest of the game, right?

Nope. It's per level. So you always have to figure out if you want to spend gems on instant tower upgrades (instead of dancing) or saving up.

Arrows-Cannons-Anti-Air are the only always-unlocked towers in the original game. The expansion island makes the Ice tower always-unlocked, as well.

Tntnnbltn

Crazymoogle said:
So you always have to figure out if you want to spend gems on instant tower upgrades (instead of dancing) or saving up.
This can cause a lot of variation in gameplay even if you build the same towers on the exact same trees.

For example, do you spend gems upgrading cannons early on, or is it better to save up gems for a fire tower? If you don't spend gems on upgrades, then will you have enough firepower to make it through the early rounds? You might have to build more cannons than if you'd just bought upgrades, which might mean by the time you unlock the fire tower you don't have enough coins to even afford one.

So much strategy. :D

Rlan

Crazymoogle said:
Nope. It's per level. So you always have to figure out if you want to spend gems on instant tower upgrades (instead of dancing) or saving up.

Arrows-Cannons-Anti-Air are the only always-unlocked towers in the original game. The expansion island makes the Ice tower always-unlocked, as well.

Ah. I don't know about 'dancing' yet, I assume it's learnt a little later on?

Tntnnbltn

Rlan said:
Ah. I don't know about 'dancing' yet, I assume it's learnt a little later on?
It's the most fundamental of strategies! You have it from the very start.

If you stand on a tower, the man will making dancing actions. You'll notice a bar on the left of the tower filling up. When it fills up, the tower will upgrade to a new flag colour.

The flag colours go Green -> Yellow -> Red -> Purple -> Black

Each upgrade will improve certain aspects of the tower (speed, range, power or splash damage).

The flag upgrades take a certain amount of time, but to quicken the upgrading process you can pay gems to auto-upgrade the tower to the next flag colour.

G>Y: 1 gem
Y>R: 1 gem
R>P: 2 gems
P>B: 3 gems

When you sell off a purple tower you get 1 gem back (even if you only upgraded by dancing. Selling a black tower gives you 2 gems.

Obviously you have to ration your time between dancing on towers and running around collecting money. Similarly, you have to ration your gems between buying tower upgrades and unlocking new towers. There's also another use for gems which you unlock if you beat Special 2.

Rlan

Tntnnbltn said:
It's the most fundamental of strategies! You have it from the very start.

If you stand on a tower, the man will making dancing actions. You'll notice a bar on the left of the tower filling up. When it fills up, the tower will upgrade to a new flag colour.

The flag colours go Green -> Yellow -> Red -> Purple -> Black

Each upgrade will improve certain aspects of the tower (speed, range, power or splash damage).

The flag upgrades take a certain amount of time, but to quicken the upgrading process you can pay gems to auto-upgrade the tower to the next flag colour.

G>Y: 1 gem
Y>R: 1 gem
R>P: 2 gems
P>B: 3 gems

When you sell off a purple tower you get 1 gem back (even if you only upgraded by dancing. Selling a black tower gives you 2 gems.

Obviously you have to ration your time between dancing on towers and running around collecting money. Similarly, you have to ration your gems between buying tower upgrades and unlocking new towers. There's also another use for gems which you unlock if you beat Special 2.

Aha! I was only auto upgrading, I didn't realise you could dance next to a tower. That's why I thought you could use a tower once you've unlocked it.

itxaka

Defeatist
I hate this game.

It´s so good and so difficult at the same time that it drives me mad. I can´t believe you guys got all rainbows on it D: I´m still at medium 2 and I got the game like 3 months ago.

Gotta play more.

Tntnnbltn

We just beat the final stage of Encore (co-op) tonight. It was really easy once we realised
to build a hive tower near the base entrance ASAP
. The rest followed on nicely.

Had a go at
the middle island. Played BWLU!, which was a variation of Easy 1 (Original). It was extremely easy --- started off as 'puff puff puff flier puff puff puff flier puff puff puff' or something like that. Rainbowed it with a score of 15561, but could've done so much better.

Just have to rainbow 4 levels now -- Medium 2 + 3 (haven't played them again since beating Special 2), Special 2 and Final Stage.

Tntnnbltn said:
We just beat the final stage of Encore (co-op) tonight. It was really easy once we realised
to build a hive tower near the base entrance ASAP
. The rest followed on nicely.

Is that the only thing you bought with gems? I'm having a lot of trouble with that level. Is its' placing that much more of a help?

Tntnnbltn

Katana_Strikes said:
Is that the only thing you bought with gems? I'm having a lot of trouble with that level. Is its' placing that much more of a help?
First waves: 4-5 anti-air. We split up and separately upgraded a tower each. Collected all the gems. I think I sold off 1 or 2 of the green anti-air for a bit of cash boost at that point.

First wave of non-flying: hive tower at the entrance of the base. We placed it on the closest tree on the right, but on the left might've worked even better with the path of the mini-bees. Spent the rest of the change we had on cannons on those clumps of trees to the left and right

We put all of our effort into upgrading that hive to black ASAP (didn't spend any gems on it though). Placing the tower there is really good, especially for waves which walk past the base twice. A double whammy of flying things.

As we got more money we were able to build cannons and arrows around the place, moving to the upper trees once we ran out of room down the bottom. Bought lasers as soon as we could (I think it ended up being like 1 wave before the first lot of bees). By the end of the game we had around four lasers, the strongest being a purple.

By wave 18, we had the upper trees lined with cannons in preparation for the boss. When the bosses came we had around 6 remote mines... We waited until the bosses crossed half the screen so we could mine both of them simultaneously. We exploded 4 mines when they were together, and an extra 1 each separately to kill them. There was no way they would've gotten near the base.

Thanks for the tips! I never really used the Hive before but it's rather good and putting it near the entrance is a great place. I bought that and the Lighning Tower for a 1-2 combo and with a couple of mines and loads of cannon towers, the boss felt the full force! :D

Delriach

Banned
I've posted some videos here before I think, or in another topic maybe... anyway, I've had PJM videos up for quite some time. I actually started doing them before other videos surfaced, just never thought to really post them here (I don't post here often). Anyway, my videos are all complete. People in the PS Underground forums really liked the way I setup my thread, so I thought I could just make a post similar to that one.

The video players are a large youtube video page that allows you to select all the videos for either the original game or the expansion. I like that one better but some people just want to select individual levels... so I give links to those too.

PixelJunk Monsters Rainbows Video Player

Easy:

1| 2| 3| 4|

Medium:

1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7|

Hard:

1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6|

Special:

1| 2| 3|

PixelJunk Monsters Encore Rainbows Video Player

Easy:

1| 2| 3| 4|

Medium:

1| 2| 3| 4|

Hard:

1| 2| 3|

Special:

1| 2| 3|

Final Stage

In the final stage,
I made a mistake by not placing the Lighting Tower early enough to make it actually do something. So basically at wave 17 I spent 13 gems for nothing. I will be reuploading that video so I can not make that mistake again. I still perfected the level but I had to utilize 2 emergency bombs.
This should still work for anyone trying it. I get a ridiculous amount of messages on the PSN and on youtube, so I tried to upload this level as fast as I could.

Tntnnbltn

We rainbowed everything on co-op! :D

I had this topic open on my screen looking at the above post, and we were debating whether to use them or not... In the end, we decided just to do it ourselves, and we got it all first try. :D

Special 2: Had to use a remote mine, but we would've been fine without it. (It was one of those panic mines where there's like one arrow left to fire and you don't know if it will kill the monster or not, but the monster is almost in the entrance of the base so you use the mine anyway... only for the monster to die a millisecond before the mine goes off). The boss was surprisingly easy to kill with remote mines, which was a pleasant relief.

Final Stage: We used the same hive tower strategy as before, but this time were just a bit more prepared overall. We knew when to build cannons in the top rows of trees, how many lasers we'd need to buy, etc. Had to use 2 remote mines in the last wave of puffs, but the bosses were no problem.

btkadams

i was under the impression that you got the run ability after getting a certain amount of rainbows... do u get it from completing one of the special stages? what do u get for beating the special stages?

Tntnnbltn

btkadams said:
i was under the impression that you got the run ability after getting a certain amount of rainbows... do u get it from completing one of the special stages? what do u get for beating the special stages?
Special 1: Run potion
Special 2: Remote mines
Special 3: Lightning tower

You just have to beat them, not rainbow them.

btkadams

Tntnnbltn said:
Special 1: Run potion
Special 2: Remote mines
Special 3: Lightning tower

You just have to beat them, not rainbow them.
wow i was totally clueless, i wasnt doing the special stages cuz they didnt open paths i thought they were just ones for fun lol. the run potion would be really helpful. thanks!

Is there a massive bug in this game? Did a search on infinite health in this thread, and I didn't see it. When trying to get a rainbow for the stage where there's a row of all sorts of enemies, the last boss becomes invincible, and you can't seem to upgrade your towers, build more, or pull up the pause menu the instant your grab the mask of the sub-boss. Is this a new issue with the new patch?

Top Bottom