• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Earth II Trailer (BBC Documentary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cautiously optimistic but need to see more info and a release date. Also, is there any chance this won't make use of HDR?

The UK Blu-ray releases December 5th but no sign of any 4K release:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M629REH/

Might be a case of the BBC waiting on their 4K systems but already sold the footage including 4K for other markets?

The day I can order this on 4K Blu-ray will be the day I'll buy a XBOneS haha (begrudgingly after Sony failed so hard with the Pro)

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Cautiously optimistic but need to see more info and a release date. Also, is there any chance this won't make use of HDR?

The UK Blu-ray releases December 5th but no sign of any 4K release:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M629REH/

Might be a case of the BBC waiting on their 4K systems but already sold the footage including 4K for other markets?

The day I can order this on 4K Blu-ray will be the day I'll buy a XBOneS haha (begrudgingly after Sony failed so hard with the Pro)

4K blu rays are region free. So you always import it.

Pellaidh

Neo Member
Watched the first 3 episodes, and was absolutely blown away. Just spectacular imagery and camera work. The rain scene in episode 3, in particular, was simply stunning. I don't think I could have imagined at the start of the year that one of my favourite TV show this year would be a nature documentary series.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Another great episode. But I feel like they are rushing it. I really wanted to see those lions successful hunt. I was really rooting for the lions to get that giraffe :(

Dying in starvation is one of the worst kind of death you can imagine and sadly most of the animals has to face that.

can't wait for this to hit Netflix. what are some good nature doc recs? planet earth, life, frozen planet, even one of the dolphin spy ones.. I've watched a lot already.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
those Horse kicks.... danm

i really been enjoying the diaries at the end of every episode so far. So cool to see who they make them sausages

KingKong

I have to say I'm surprised at how little they focus on global warming. I thought it would be a bigger part of the series based on the first episode, but it's just kind of an afterthought. Must be BBC politics

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
can't wait for this to hit Netflix. what are some good nature doc recs? planet earth, life, frozen planet, even one of the dolphin spy ones.. I've watched a lot already.
Blue Planet is amazing, at least based on my memory of a decade ago.

Chichikov

I watched the first episode, fantastic as expected, but I have to say - I think I'm done with penguins.

Yeah they're cute and yeah the photography is super impressive, but I feel like I've seen the exact same story like 10 times already, including the after credit featurette about the crew freezing their ass on a barren antarctic island.

More sea lizards please!
And sea sloths too.
Fuck, now I just want a "hey! you don't belong in the ocean" TV series.

BeforeU

I have to say I'm surprised at how little they focus on global warming. I thought it would be a bigger part of the series based on the first episode, but it's just kind of an afterthought. Must be BBC politics

Dude? They have mentioned climate change in every single episode. What are you watching?

BeforeU

So I ordered the book from Amazon.co.uk to support these guys.

I am so glad I did, its wonderful. High imagine quality and premium paper material. Paid around $25CAD.

y3pjCx0.jpg
rnF0647.jpg
7J5bU7m.jpg

What the cities episode taught me is that Singapore turns earth into Pandora.

I just moved to Pandora then :D
I'm not watching it before it gets a 4K release, but did they show anything besides Gardens by the Bay? That's what I saw in the trailer.

BeforeU

I'm sorry if this is off topic...have we gotten a UHD blu-ray confirmation yet, or is it just heavily rumored?

Its coming, but not anytime soon.

Listing was spotted on Amazon.com

I don't know how legit that is, because the book I just brought, has an advertisement paper inside. That only has DVD and Bluray pre-order details. No mention of UHD. Amazon.uk also doesn't have 4k listing. So I don't know.

BumRush

Its coming, but not anytime soon.

Listing was spotted on Amazon.com

I don't know how legit that is, because the book I just brought, has an advertisement paper inside. That only has DVD and Bluray pre-order details. No mention of UHD. Amazon.uk also doesn't have 4k listing. So I don't know.

Ok, thanks!

Cohsae

Oh my god the story of the bower bird in the cities episode is amazing. I wasn't sure if this series would live up to the first but it's been incredible.
Edit: oh fuck the part with the turtles is awful

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
how are y'all watching cities?

jorma

is now taking requests
Cities episode was fantastic. Those shots of Singapore were seriously breathtaking

Yeah, i thought cities would be the most boring ep but instead it turned out to be the best one! The leopard and the hyena stuff was insane.

Can confirm, have the Blu-ray of it and remains my favorite Attenborough documentary.

Read on Amazon that the blu ray is 1080i, can you confirm? How is the quality?

Edit: Checked the other BBC blu rays, all of them are 1080i, don't get the complains but I'm also not really familiar of how much diffrence 1080i to 1080p is.

Edit: Checked the other BBC blu rays, all of them are 1080i, don't get the complains but I'm also not really familiar of how much diffrence 1080i to 1080p is.
There's a listing for a $60 4K BR at Amazon US. Really confused why there isn't one here.

Qassim

People also started getting their legitimate blu-ray copies yesterday too (Amazon UK pre-order), me included.

Blu-ray out, no 4K in sight in the UK. Fucking BBC why won't you let me throw money at you :mad:

However, that US 4K release seems a bit more legit now, blu-ray.com lists it now and it has a cover placeholder that's not on the amazon listing:

168607_front5bjnm.jpg

Still has no release date though. Yeah...

BeforeU

People also started getting their legitimate blu-ray copies yesterday too (Amazon UK pre-order), me included.

Blu-ray out, no 4K in sight in the UK. Fucking BBC why won't you let me throw money at you :mad:

However, that US 4K release seems a bit more legit now, blu-ray.com lists it now and it has a cover placeholder that's not on the amazon listing:

168607_front5bjnm.jpg

Still has no release date though. Yeah...

Well. That sucks. UHD is the one most of us want.

I am not going to settle, will wait it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If it's shot on film/at 24Hz, then 1080i/50 can deinterlace perfectly to 1080p/24 or 25. Shouldn't be an issue

Will definitely buy the 4K bluray

Robiin

I just bought a new 4K TV with HDR, and I would love to watch this in the best quality available. Will this series ever come to Netflix or something similar? I don't have a UHD Blu-Ray player.

BeforeU

I just bought a new 4K TV with HDR, and I would love to watch this in the best quality available. Will this series ever come to Netflix or something similar? I don't have a UHD Blu-Ray player.

First series is on Netflix along with other BBC series like Life and Frozen Planet so I don't see why this wouldn't but will it come in UHD/HDR? Or when. No one knows.

Has it been said already? BBC iPlayer is showing it in 4K HDR on some tv's at the moment.
The BBC has announced it is trialling Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range footage of Planet Earth II via the iPlayer.

Update: The BBC has since updated with a list of compatible TVs:

2015: CX680, CX700, CR730, CX800, CR852 and CZ950 Series
2016: DX902, DR852, DX802, DX750, DX720, DX700, DX680 and DX650 series.

The BBC's Head of iPlayer, Dan Taylor-Watt also Tweeted us to say that the BBC 'we're working with other manufacturers to increase the number.'

It's only a trial and limited to Panasonic tv's for now (though that may change). But who knows. Maybe a full roll out in a few months time?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
booo give me 4k on my samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom