• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Earth II Trailer (BBC Documentary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode 6 was amazing. It made me cry at some scenes and made me happy at other scenes. Wonderful finale.
It seems there will be a compilation named "A World of Wonder" on 1 January.

Cronen

The BBC confirmed that the producers 'defied conventions' and rescued every single baby turtle and released them in to the sea.

Link

Xun

I annoyingly fell asleep half way through the episode since I had gone to the pub a few hours before.

If I get the time I'll watch the rest tonight, I look forward to it.

Thank god there's a Barbados Sea Turtle Project rounding them up and saving as many as possible.

A wonderful show from start to finish, and while this is the last Planet Earth, I really hope it isn't Attenborough's last project because he loves what he's doing and seems to be doing "fine" at 90.

Love that hyenas got a section in the cities episode. Always found them super interesting animals and not deserving of their lunatic evil reputation,

milanbaros

Member?
The ratings for this in the U.K. Have been insanely good. Well deserved and warms my heart that it beat xfactor on some metrics, even with young people.

The BBC confirmed that the producers 'defied conventions' and rescued every single baby turtle and released them in to the sea.

Link

Good, it makes no sense leaving them to that fate when it's not part of the natural cycle, it was a human made problem and humans should fix it.

Link
That's really good news! :)

Good, it makes no sense leaving them to that fate when it's not part of the natural cycle, it was a human made problem and humans should fix it.
Exactly.
Some people say we shouldn't interfere with nature (for example saving an animal from another animal), but this is a different situation.

Link

As mentioned above, technically not defying conventions when it's human interference in the first place. They have filmed before how dozens of little baby turtles get eaten. But in this case they don't prevent any wild animal from their food by rescuing them.

If it's shot on film/at 24Hz, then 1080i/50 can deinterlace perfectly to 1080p/24 or 25. Shouldn't be an issue

Will definitely buy the 4K bluray

Thx for the clarification. Looking forward to it. Have to finish Life story and planet earth 1 first. Jealous of you with 4k. Maybe 2018 for me. Spent too much for sound this year ^_~

number11

That final episode was amazing. Don't think I've ever watched a wildlife documentary based in a city before.

I don't know how they do it.. but Planet Earth remains the best nature series of all time. It's interesting to see if Netflix can top this.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
urban leopards
what on earth

got to laugh though. Of all the animals in world, imaging being assigned pigeons

Great end to a great series.I hope they're planning 3 already

leng jai

Just wrapped this up. Cities was genuinely moving, incredible send off for the series. The Hyena segment was certainly eye opening. Attenborough is simply timeless, sad to think this was probably the last Planet Earth documentary he'll ever narrate.

BraXzy

Just wrapped this up. Cities was genuinely moving, incredible send off for the series. The Hyena segment was certainly eye opening. Attenborough is simply timeless, sad to think this was probably the last Planet Earth documentary he'll ever narrate.

End of an era :(

This will be cherished for years to come. Pretty much everyone I know watched this and rightly so. Fantastic documentary.

farisr

Cross-posting from the gaming side canadian deals thread.

Heads up to Canadians interested in a Planet Earth II UHD Bluray.

It's up for preorder at amazon.ca at 52.49 CAD right now down from 74.98. (amazon.com has it for 59.99 USD)

I missed this last month, but apparently BBC confirmed it will also release a UHD Blu-ray version:

BBC Worldwide has revealed to TechRadar that it expects to release Planet Earth 2 on Ultra HD Blu-ray following the existing Full HD Blu-ray and DVD releases.

Although it was unable to confirm a release date, we were told to expect more details in the New Year.

http://www.techradar.com/news/bbc-c...ray-release-of-planet-earth-2-is-on-the-cards

Hopefully sooner rather than later. There's also already a trial for streaming that features PEII in 4K HDR.

Premiering on AMC, Sundance TV and BBC America on Feb 18th. So glad it'll be on AMC

Africa is amazing. The Hunt is really great too and everyone should watch it.
The Hunt has got some absolutely amazing footage.
Currently watching Africa (it's great) and just got The Hunt on Amazon

I am always in awe of the shots they can get for these shows. In Africa, the lizards climbing and jumping on top of lions to get flies was just incredible. I had never seen anything like that before

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Planet Earth II [4K UHD] [Blu-ray]"
Estimated arrival date: March 28, 2017

Yes! Thank you based Amazon.

Has anyone tried streaming from Amazon video? How is the quality? I don't have a 4k TV so that's out of the question anyway, and if the Amazon Video quality is as good as Blu-Ray, I'll just go with that.

And what is the difference between the 2016 Version and the 2017 Version

^^^
No stream option comes close to BD quality, but I've heard the amazon one is at least better than Netflix.

Yes! Thank you based Amazon.

Awww... 2 more months....
Oh well, gonna have to be on the lookout for good deals on the 500gb XB1S till then! Kinda excited, will be my first xbox ever haha (thanks Sony for forcing me to cheat on you).

I hope till March we'll hear more about the transfer quality etc. I don't want to be in a situation where 2 months later BBC decides to release its version from a better master etc.

Btw, are 4k series like 4K movies and the 4K version of PE includes the standard Blu-rays? I still want that so that I can additionally rip them in raw quality to my Plex server.

Jigolo

Nature documentary 'Planet Earth II' is coming to Snapchat

Planet Earth II was probably the BBC's best piece of TV programming last year. The documentary series captured and, more importantly, explained the natural world with nuanced narration and breathtaking cinematography. Now, the show is coming to Snapchat. A deal between Snap Inc and the British broadcaster will see a modified version released through the social network. It'll have six episodes and, of course, be optimized for vertical viewing. Snap says the series will also use "binaural recording," a dual-microphone setup that's meant to imitate 3D stereo sound. It's not clear exactly how long each episode will be, however.

Jigolo

BTW the season starts today in the US (at least) on a few channels. I think after the premiere it'll only be on BBC America for the remainder of the season

Unfortunately I believe the ratings will pale in comparison to the UK ratings even though we have 5x the population

I just noticed that amazon.co.uk now also has the 4K UHD blu-ray version up for preorder:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X16HDJD/

40 GBP (US one is $40 if you preorder) but releases already on the 13th march (US one is 28th).

What's more intriguing to me though is that the US cover says 2 disks and in the description it says 3.
While the UK one has 4 discs both on the cover and in the description.

Something wonky going on with potentially included Blu-ray discs counted as the total disc number or does the UK one maybe has larger file sizes and thus better quality?

edit:
This title includes 4K ULTRA HD + BLU-RAY
Planet Earth II Diaries can be found on the Blu-ray Discs, these were filmed in HD only.
Ok so that makes sense I guess. 4 discs in total = 2x 4K discs with 3 episodes each without any extras plus the standard blu-ray edition (which is 2 discs, each containing 3 HD episodes and the extras/diaries).

That means the US listing is either wrong/not counting standard-blu-ray/not including it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dish and DirecTV are broadcasting this show in 4k, in case anyone has either of those.

Cool but I have seen mixed results on streamed and broadcast HD, and 4k is even worse. I'm probably going to wait for disc. I can avoid spoilers till then... :)

FLEABttn

Banned
Cool but I have seen mixed results on streamed and broadcast HD, and 4k is even worse. I'm probably going to wait for disc. I can avoid spoilers till then... :)

I will say, I was watching the 4k version last night on a 1080p set (haven't jumped on that yet) and while there was an audio issue, the picture quality was the best I had seen on broadcast. Whatever the bitrate was, it must have been high because the picture basically never looked bit-starved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom