• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Hits PS4, PS3 on 8/19, 1080p/60/splitscreen on PS4

august thats kind of later than expected

It's the time that everyone expected.

If it was 3 months exclusivity, Popcap would had teased it coming to competitor platforms earlier.

If it was 12 months exclusivity, they wouldn't even talk about 'being first on Xbox', it would had been treated like a bona-fide exclusive and only get a stealth release very much later.

That means 6 months exclusivity was the rational assumption.

TeddyBoy

Is this 2 or 4 player split screen? If it's 2 it's the same as the Xbox One version, but 4 would be amazing.

Does the Xbox version of the game support LAN parties and/or allow the second player to go online together with the first player?

Cornbread78

I'm sure he was joking about the usual excuses devs make.

It was obviously a 6 month moneyhat for this game.

Sarcasm is hard to read sometimes, the "it's not a money-hat" defense force from all sides has been out very strong lately so it's hard to tell and you must tread lightly, lol.

BTW, I love this guy,

2.jpg

reminds me of this gif for some reason:

07-minister.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm wondering if the split-screen will be the same on Xbox One, where it's limited to endless horde mode, or if it'll support taking a guest online for versus matches.

If the latter, and Xbox isn't updated to match it, I'll have to buy a PS4. My gf and I are way too bummed out having to take turns if we want to play Gardens and Graveyards.

And note. because I keep seeing hate for the microtransactions, they were added over a month after the game's launch. And the devs even boosted the amount of coins you can get from matches before they were introduced. As result, the game is easily enjoyable without ever paying. They only exist for the impatient.

Also it's kind of hilarious how kid friendly the game is. "Vanquished" characters still blink as they wait to respawn. Closest thing to actual murder in the game is when a Chomper swallows a zombie.

EL CUCO

I love how in the video the guy says "since we announced the game, all everybody has been asking is, is it coming to Playstation?" lol

shanafan

Should we believe the 1080p/60fps? The infamous Watch Dogs mistake only happened mere weeks ago.

But I would believe that resolution and framerate is more manageable in a title like this, than an open world title like Watch Dogs.

Hasney

I think the only thing it could lack is the dedicated servers of the XB1 version (because POWER OF CLOUD) unless Sony ponies up for them. Might not be horrible though if the net code/host migration is up to snuff.

Umm, OK, I'll take your word on that one...

PopCap Games:
PopCap Games is an American video game developer and publisher, based in Seattle, Washington, United States, and it is a subsidiary of Electronic Arts. It was founded in 2000 by John Vechey, Brian Fiete and Jason Kapalka, and, as of 2011, employs about 400 people

I believe he was being sarcastic

This game is easily worth the $40. Buy it PS4 owners. It'll become your #1 game played this year.

How grindy is it without the micro transactions?
It's not at all, it's a waste of money. Unless they've adjusted the pricing. The minimum you could buy is about as much as you could earn in one game of Gardens and Graveyards.

Should we believe the 1080p/60fps? The infamous Watch Dogs mistake only happened mere weeks ago.

But I would believe that resolution and framerate is more manageable in a title like this, than an open world title like Watch Dogs.

This is coming from straight from the developer, and the US PSblog specifically mentions that it's native 1080p.

ColiBreh1

Banned
I think the only thing it could lack is the dedicated servers of the XB1 version (because POWER OF CLOUD) unless Sony ponies up for them. Might not be horrible though if the net code/host migration is up to snuff.

What makes you think the game uses MS Azure servers to begin with? It probably uses EA servers.

Vashetti

Banned

It was already 900p on XB1, PS4 will run it at 1080p/60 with ease.

ColiBreh1

Banned
It's the time that everyone expected.

If it was 3 months exclusivity, Popcap would had teased it coming to competitor platforms earlier.

If it was 12 months exclusivity, they wouldn't even talk about 'being first on Xbox', it would had been treated like a bona-fide exclusive and only get a stealth release very much later.

That means 6 months exclusivity was the rational assumption.

Shouldn't we expect Peggle 2 to be released on PlayStation formats next month?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I love how in the video the guy says "since we announced the game, all everybody has been asking is, is it coming to Playstation?" lol

A game like this never should have been timed exclusive in the first place. EA was all in with MS last year because they were riding high on those DRM policies before the public backlash.

wapplew

Wow, I've been hyped for this ever since it's release and now I saw

MEGATON! I'm such a huge (no pun intended) Fat Princess fan.

Where is my Fat Princess 2 Sony? Make it free to play cosmetic micro transaction, it could be a big console MOBA experience.

Cornbread78

A game like this never should have been timed exclusive in the first place. EA was all in with MS last year because they were riding high on those DRM policies before the public backlash.

"Unprecedented partnership"

How much money did that cost EA now in lost sales? Did MS pay enough to cover their loses? Interesting question that will never be answered.

Tsundere

Banned

No big third party game should be exclusive, especially to the console that has half the installed base of its competitor.

Son of Zardoz

Neo Member
Game is great, I didn't have the highest expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised. My son & I have had a blast with it (one of the few next gen games we can actually play together). Pick it up PS owners!

The post quoted by Guymelef is comedy gold. If it takes a team of 400 ppl to optimize a Xbone game to 900p, no wonder we are seeing a bunch of 792p games.\s

Kagari's post is quite spot on, EA got in bed with MS for the DRM cash. This should shut up the morons who believe that games like TF and PvZ:GW wouldn't be made if MS didn't pay cash. That is just MS PR narrative to make them look like saints, while they basically started this retarded trend of paying for completed multi-plat games to make them timed exclusives. Games like TF and PvZ:GW do not even need EA to get made, these could have been easily funded by Kickstarter.

It is kind of disingenuous of them to tout the DLC as a benefit of the PS4 version, considering the fact it is already free for Xbone owners. Will not buy this game to send a clear message to EA that I will not put up with these kind of BS business practices.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PvZ 1080p@60fps on PS4? really? I think even the Wii U could run PvZ at that so it was kinda expected it be 1080p60fps on the Nextgen consoles lol

edit: Wait this is already on Xbox One?

manual4

Banned
The post quoted by Guymelef is comedy gold. If it takes a team of 400 ppl to optimize a Xbone game to 900p, no wonder we are seeing a bunch of 792p games.\s

Kagari's post is quite spot on, EA got in bed with MS for the DRM cash. This should shut up the morons who believe that games like TF and PvZ:GW wouldn't be made if MS didn't pay cash. That is just MS PR narrative to make them look like saints, while they basically started this retarded trend of paying for completed multi-plat games to make them timed exclusives. Games like TF and PvZ:GW do not even need EA to get made, these could have been easily funded by Kickstarter.

It is kind of disingenuous of them to tout the DLC as a benefit of the PS4 version, considering the fact it is already free for Xbone owners. Will not buy this game to send a clear message to EA that I will not put up with these kind of BS business practices.

vlcsnap-2011-11-10-19h19m39s159.png

PvZ 1080p@60fps on PS4? really? I think even the Wii U could run PvZ at that so it was kinda expected it be 1080p60fps on the Nextgen consoles lol

edit: Wait this is already on Xbox One?

Game was only 900p on XBone. This isn't a normal PVZ game. Much more graphically intense.

Top Bottom