• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

I haven't heard much on the JU6500, maybe look into the Samsung JU7100, it should be around your budget as well (and there are some reports of users successfully playing HDR clips on it & it working) The JU7100 is the model I have my eye on getting.

Here are rtings reviews of 3 to give you an idea
X850c
JU6500
JU7100

Thanks for the link, that site looks very helpful. Well the 7100 definitely looks like the best choice even though it's near the top of my budget. I don't care about 3D but proper 24p support is important because I watch a lot of blurays and low input lag is also a must because it will be used for gaming.

MrJames

Results are in from the VE shootout. The OLED hangs on to win despite major uniformity issues. Some who saw it thought it bordered on defective. There have been quite a few owners with this issue and the LG rep in attendance confirmed LG is looking into the problem. The black quality, contrast and off-axis superiority over LCD gave it enough of a lead to win.

From AVS

From 72 audience ballots.
IkF0gi6.jpg

Expert ballots
qlSzHEO.jpg

Would be an easy win for OLED if it wasn't the uniformity issues but I'm not sure anybody wants to play the panel lottery with a $9,000 television.

Input Lag Results
LG 9600 65" OLED: 57.8ms
Sony 75" X940C: 36.2ms
Samsung 78" JS9500: 21.0ms
Panasonic 65" CX850: 39.8ms

hitgirl

Results are in from the VE shootout. The OLED hangs on to win despite major uniformity issues. Some who saw it thought it bordered on defective. There have been quite a few owners with this issue and the LG rep in attendance confirmed LG is looking into the problem. The black quality, contrast and off-axis superiority over LCD gave it enough of a lead to win.

So what does bad uniformity look like on the OLED? Is it a on a white background or black background? I'm a bit confused because it doesn't have a backlight.

simonski

So what does bad uniformity look like on the OLED? Is it a on a white background or black background? I'm a bit confused because it doesn't have a backlight.

Usually pink or green tints on a white background, or vertical banding on a near black background. Can range from hardly noticeable at all to really quite noticeable.

And some owners have complained of a sort of vignetting effect, but I've never seen that on mine. I suspect it's severe form of tinting.

pswii60

From AVS

IkF0gi6.jpg

Expert ballots
qlSzHEO.jpg

Would be an easy win for OLED if it wasn't the uniformity issues but I'm not sure anybody wants to play the panel lottery with a $9,000 television.

Input Lag Results

Not an easy win for that LG OLED if you're a gamer :( That input lag isn't tolerable as far as I'm concerned. ~40ms is my limit. Previously had a Samsung at 47ms and I just couldn't cope with that.

I'll just have to stick with my plasma until OLED is refined - just wish other players would step in to the market to give LG some competition. LG's LCD TVs are utter shit compared to Panasonic/Sony/Samsung, and so their OLEDs are also likely to pale in comparison to what the competition would be doing with the technology if they could make it affordable enough to bring to market.

Yaari

Yeah that's not significant enough for me to get an OLED. I'd probably go with the Samsung if the difference is that minimal.
I realize it's good at its own things but as a gamer, sometimes even competitive, I really want the input lag down a notch.

I'll wait til the end of the year anyway, perhaps even next CES. I want to see what's coming up before I get anything at all.

MrJames

Given these lag ratings and the overall results of the shootout, I'm considering Samsung for the first time in many years.

Yes, the JS9500 is my front-runner right now. One thing to note on the Sony is that it retains local dimming in game mode so picture quality will be better compared to the Samsung which disables everything. If only Sony put out a 65" X940C.

What I like most about the Samsung is the One Connect upgrades. Here is what the 2015 upgrade is doing for last years models that support it.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1435569820

Dead

well not really...yet
Samsung Game Mode PQ looks really terrible from my recent experience. Washed out to the max.

I just recently threw my samsung H8000 to the curb and went back to my 55W900, and the difference was night and day. The PQ just slaughters it in game mode, and every other mode really. I'd be surprised if any of the current Sony models can hold a candle to the W900, X940/X950 aside.

I'm looking at this one and the Samsung UN55JU7100. Any recommendations for either of these sets as far as gaming? Fry's has no tax this weekend on all 4K tvs.

Looks like I'm too late seeing this since it was probably last weekend, but I got the XBR55X850C day 1 and love mine.

So I've been out of the TV game for quite some time. All I know is that I HATE watching movies with the "TrueMotion" bullshit so the ability to turn that off is pretty necessary.

I'm primarily considering getting a new TV for gaming and Blu-Ray purposes and was wondering if there are any "go-to" models on the market that are a great bang for the buck in the 55-70" range. I have no clue if this is realistic or not (for a quality TV), but ideally I'd be paying $1k max. I'm not against considering paying more, but that's where I was planning on setting my sights on to start with.

I'm assuming LED is the best option for gaming currently (for the price), but again, I am pretty behind in the current climate of TV options/tech/prices. If anyone can offer any advice on where to start or share any recommendations, that would be super helpful.

Edit: Do they only sell 4K TVs now? 1080p is fine for my purposes so if I can get an equally sized 1080p TV for cheaper than a 4K equivalent, that would be the best option for me IMO.

So I've been out of the TV game for quite some time. All I know is that I HATE watching movies with the "TrueMotion" bullshit so the ability to turn that off is pretty necessary.

I'm primarily considering getting a new TV for gaming and Blu-Ray purposes and was wondering if there are any "go-to" models on the market that are a great bang for the buck in the 55-70" range. I have no clue if this is realistic or not (for a quality TV), but ideally I'd be paying $1k max. I'm not against considering paying more, but that's where I was planning on setting my sights on to start with.

I'm assuming LED is the best option for gaming currently (for the price), but again, I am pretty behind in the current climate of TV options/tech/prices. If anyone can offer any advice on where to start or share any recommendations, that would be super helpful.

Edit: Do they only sell 4K TVs now? 1080p is fine for my purposes so if I can get an equally sized 1080p TV for cheaper than a 4K equivalent, that would be the best option for me IMO.

They seem to be more or less phasing out 1080p models in the 2015 lineup from what I've seen. If you can snag a 2014 Vizio or Sony LED model you should be able to get a 55" or 60" for that price point that's pretty high quality rather easily.

From AVS

IkF0gi6.jpg

Expert ballots
qlSzHEO.jpg

Input Lag Results

Too bad nobody except LG is in the OLED business. A $9,000 TV should look absolutely perfect, assuming you're paying $9,000 for it. If you wait until next year and pay $2,000 for it because it's on clearance to make room for the new year's model, then maybe it's kind of okay. Nah fuck that, the many flaws of LCDs are well known but at least they are known, you're basically paying thousands of dollars to beta test OLED for LG. No thanks.

It's so weird to see Samsung with the best input lag numbers, they didn't care at all about that for many many years. Of course the actual PQ of Samsung's Game Mode is still pretty awful since most image adjustments are locked out in that mode. The Sony TVs allow all image adjustments except obviously Motionflow in Game Mode and you can easily calibrate the Game Mode to look identical to the Cinema mode on Sony TVs.

Samsung Game Mode PQ looks really terrible from my recent experience. Washed out to the max.

I just recently threw my samsung H8000 to the curb and went back to my 55W900, and the difference was night and day. The PQ just slaughters it in game mode, and every other mode really. I'd be surprised if any of the current Sony models can hold a candle to the W900, X940/X950 aside.

In many ways, the Sony W900A and X900A TVs are going to be very unique and rare unicorn type models, like the fabled XBR8 from 7 years ago now. They are the only 2 models of TVs that Sony used the Quantum Dots on the LCD panels, the following year they abandoned QD and went with conventional LCD panels. The QD combined with Sony's trademark wide-gamut 10-bit panels gave the W900A and X900A extremely wide color gamuts, very close to DCI P3. Of course since then both LG and Samsung have announced TVs with QD that also promise coverage of DCI P3 in preparation for Blu-ray 4K but I've never liked how colors look on LG and Samsung TVs for some reason. My 65X900A gives a calibrated color profile very similar to the Panasonic 65VT60 plasma that it replaced and that's saying something because Panasonic claimed they had 99% DCI coverage on that final-generation plasma panel.

They seem to be more or less phasing out 1080p models in the 2015 lineup from what I've seen. If you can snag a 2014 Vizio or Sony LED model you should be able to get a 55" or 60" for that price point that's pretty high quality rather easily.

Are there any Vizio/Sony TVs that fall under this category that have low input lag?

Sanjay

I ended up getting a Sony KDL 42W705B as I was looking for a 1080p screen for console gaming mostly and PC 1player sit back gaming.

This is basically a w8 series with no 3d, and lower input lag (around 14ms).

Will post my impression later on once I've tinkered settings.

Reviews:-
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w705b-201402233639.htm
http://www.whathifi.com/sony/kdl-32w706b/review
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl-42w705b-review

I ended up getting a Sony KDL 42W705B as I was looking for a 1080p screen for console gaming mostly and PC 1player sit back gaming.

This is basically a w8 series with no 3d, and lower input lag (around 14ms).

Will post my impression later on once I've tinkered settings.

Reviews:-
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w705b-201402233639.htm
http://www.whathifi.com/sony/kdl-32w706b/review
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl-42w705b-review

That looks like an amazing TV. Something like that but at 55/60" would be ideal for me (also something that ships to the US), but so far I'm having zero luck finding something similar (low input lag, 1080p instead of 4k, etc.)

I'm also noticing most TVs are now Smart TVs. I have about 5 devices that stream shit so that is completely unnecessary. Are TVs "smart" now by default if you go to buy a new TV?

Dead

well not really...yet
Too bad nobody except LG is in the OLED business. A $9,000 TV should look absolutely perfect, assuming you're paying $9,000 for it. If you wait until next year and pay $2,000 for it because it's on clearance to make room for the new year's model, then maybe it's kind of okay. Nah fuck that, the many flaws of LCDs are well known but at least they are known, you're basically paying thousands of dollars to beta test OLED for LG. No thanks.

It's so weird to see Samsung with the best input lag numbers, they didn't care at all about that for many many years. Of course the actual PQ of Samsung's Game Mode is still pretty awful since most image adjustments are locked out in that mode. The Sony TVs allow all image adjustments except obviously Motionflow in Game Mode and you can easily calibrate the Game Mode to look identical to the Cinema mode on Sony TVs.

In many ways, the Sony W900A and X900A TVs are going to be very unique and rare unicorn type models, like the fabled XBR8 from 7 years ago now. They are the only 2 models of TVs that Sony used the Quantum Dots on the LCD panels, the following year they abandoned QD and went with conventional LCD panels. The QD combined with Sony's trademark wide-gamut 10-bit panels gave the W900A and X900A extremely wide color gamuts, very close to DCI P3. Of course since then both LG and Samsung have announced TVs with QD that also promise coverage of DCI P3 in preparation for Blu-ray 4K but I've never liked how colors look on LG and Samsung TVs for some reason. My 65X900A gives a calibrated color profile very similar to the Panasonic 65VT60 plasma that it replaced and that's saying something because Panasonic claimed they had 99% DCI coverage on that final-generation plasma panel.
The W900 and X900A also used the QDs with Cadmium IIRC, unlike the new LG and Samsungs. I believe the Cadmium infused QDs are apparently even better (and toxic lol)

Was watching Hannibal season 2 on it the past few days, a very dark show, and the black levels are just outstanding.

I did actually see that and am planning on checking it out, but the problem is the stand that is shown in the rtings site is not the one that amazon is showing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPMCN74/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The entertainment stand I currently own is not that wide...was hoping to find a TV that had a more traditional stand with its footprint confined in the middle. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and get a new stand too. :/

Edit: Nvm, upon closer inspection, the stand pegs are adjustable.

Does anyone have any experience ordering TVs from amazon? It looks like Best Buy, Fry's and Costco don't sell this TV anymore so amazon might be my best bet. I've never ordered a TV online before and am curious how much of a hassle it can potentially be if there are any issues at all...

Mobius1

Anyone have any recommendations for a 32" TV with 1080p and good picture quality? This size seems to be neglected when it comes to reviews and information. Don't care about the styling or apps, just want good black levels and accurate colors. The 2014 Vizio M series seems well reviewed, but I've seen conflicting opinions about the 32" model.

Drewfonse

Anyone have an idea when the new JS7000 line of entry level Samsung SUHD sets will arrive? You can pre order on the Samsung website, but no date. $2100 for the 60" model, not too shabby.

Elitist1945

I just bought a TV (one I mentioned above), and the first thing thats happening is the TV picture starts going bezerk - like random colors, distortion. Its doing it over multiple HDMI inputs/devices...any idea whats causing this? Or is my TV D.O.A.?

Shancake

Just purchased the new Sony KDL50W800C here in Australia. Anyone else got this? Should I be using Game mode all the extras turned off? Anyone else have this TV?

What is the general consensus when it comes to protection plans on TVs? Amazon offers a 5-Year Protection for $131.44 or a 4-Year Protection for $86.47I (the TV I'm getting is $1,099. I wasn't going to bother, but I'm curious if anyone would recommend getting it.

Cleve

What is the general consensus when it comes to protection plans on TVs? Amazon offers a 5-Year Protection for $131.44 or a 4-Year Protection for $86.47I (the TV I'm getting is $1,099. I wasn't going to bother, but I'm curious if anyone would recommend getting it.

From my (limited) experiences I haven't seen failures in the first 5 years on any of my sets. Hopefully someone who works at an installer or service center can chime in though.

Pagusas

Elden Member

The TV is more likely to break from an accident than an equipment failure in its first 5 years (if it's going to break because of part issues it will be in the first year). Hell my Samsung 52a650 didn't show issues till year 7 (blown cap).

With that said, i think accident replacement warrenteed are worth it if you have an expensive set and a poor home insurance policy.

The TV is more likely to break from an accident than an equipment failure in its first 5 years (if it's going to break because of part issues it will be in the first year). Hell my Samsung 52a650 didn't show issues till year 7 (blown cap).

With that said, i think accident replacement warrenteed are worth it if you have an expensive set and a poor home insurance policy.

It doesn't mention accidental coverage, which is why I'll probably skip it:

Free in-home service for TVs 37" and larger.
Free 2-way shipping for smaller TV repairs.
Surge protection starts day one; mechanical and electrical failure are covered after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
Fully transferable if you sell or give as a gift. Cancel anytime.
Delivered by e-mail. Register and file claims online or by phone.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just purchased the new Sony KDL50W800C here in Australia. Anyone else got this? Should I be using Game mode all the extras turned off? Anyone else have this TV?
How's your experience been with yours?

I just bought this exact TV and I'm considering returning it today. It's 'crashed' and restarted itself 2-3 times randomly, the Netflix client won't let me login - it flashes up the home/content page briefly and gets stuck on the login/signup page. I tried running the Google Cast app on my iPad to set up the casting and the first step 'find your cast device in your wifi list' didn't work either (though that may only be for Chromecasts, not this actual TV, though it has cast built in)

It also randomly won't respond to the remote. Shame, as it looks amazing, the design is great and the pic quality is really good. But I won't put up with bugs and software jank after spending 2 grand.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I just bought this exact TV and I'm considering returning it today. It's 'crashed' and restarted itself 2-3 times randomly, the Netflix client won't let me login - it flashes up the home/content page briefly and gets stuck on the login/signup page. I tried running the Google Cast app on my iPad to set up the casting and the first step 'find your cast device in your wifi list' didn't work either (though that may only be for Chromecasts, not this actual TV, though it has cast built in)

It also randomly won't respond to the remote. Shame, as it looks amazing, the design is great and the pic quality is really good. But I won't put up with bugs and software jank after spending 2 grand.
I don't know if there were issues yesterday because I was having the similar issues with my 940c. Mostly the same software I'm sure.

Ollie Pooch

I don't know if there were issues yesterday because I was having the similar issues with my 940c. Mostly the same software I'm sure.
With the Netflix client, you mean? It was odd - I called Netflix and they said it was because I'd set up the account on a VPN about a year ago. But every other device in our house logs in fine. Wondering if a factory reset would help.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
With the Netflix client, you mean? It was odd - I called Netflix and they said it was because I'd set up the account on a VPN about a year ago. But every other device in our house logs in fine. Wondering if a factory reset would help.
Yes I had the same thing where Netflix read just refusing to log in. Also had my touchpad remote wonk out. Annoying but not a huge deal to me as I really like the tv otherwise and those things are kind of nice but superfluous (I get if others might feel differently though).

I'm looking to get a 4K TV, 50+ inches, and I'm still trying to decide whether or not to go for a curved. What's the consensus on curved TVs for gaming?

Any suggestions for specific TVs? Smart features aren't necessarily a selling point for me; I'm satisfied with using the PS4 for media viewing.

From what I've read, the VIZIO M50-C1 and the M-Series on a whole seems like a good value for its specs and price.

I'm looking to get a 4K TV, 50+ inches, and I'm still trying to decide whether or not to go for a curved. What's the consensus on curved TVs for gaming?

Any suggestions for specific TVs? Smart features aren't necessarily a selling point for me; I'm satisfied with using the PS4 for media viewing.

From what I've read, the VIZIO M50-C1 and the M-Series on a whole seems like a good value for its specs and price.

I literally just bought the VIZIO M55, so here's hoping I chose wisely. I've read that they're great for the money, and have really low latency, but have some motion blur issues.

Yaari

The idea of the curve is to make it feel more immersive. But essentially you'll be paying for that curve. I don't think it works too well when having multiple people in an area watching from different angles.

I liked the idea at first but I probably wont go for a curve unless I'm presented a TV I really like that has one.

Shancake

Hmm, that's interesting. I literally haven't had a single issue and have used it in a variety of ways for almost 3 days now.. I find it amazing. It's so much quicker than the 2012 model and i'm genuinely shocked with how good Android is.

The only issue i'm finding is that when you go home, it's impossible to get back to your source easily.. What update are you running? Maybe it's got a different firmware in Australia? Only thing I can't comment on is Google Cast. Haven't used that at all yet but i'm shocked with how well YouTube functionality works when sending it from phone.

The only issue I have is an insane amount of clouding whenever the screen is black. Do you have this at all? I've never seen it on a LED but not sure if it's part of the new technology? One of the corners is pretty much all cloudy as as well as the bottom middle.

Methos#1975

Joined the 4K club a few weeks back, nothing fancy, the LG 49UB8500. Somethings I hate, some I really hate. Positives is that the upscaling IMO is really frickin nice. I have no basis on which to compare it to other 4K sets, but the IQ for even 480p material is vastly nicer than that of my Sony KDL48W600B it replaced. 1080p material is breathtaking in particular, and the few programs I have watched in 4k on YT and Netflix are very impressive. Games on the other hand in 4K I think are meh, I think the upscaling along with DSR so well done that at least on this specific set, the differences are slight. Only game I have noticed a profound difference with is GTAV. I also have one slight hiccup that really peeves me in that sometimes when the TV is doing resolution changes for example from 4k in a game back to 1080p for the desktop, the screen turns a weird pinkish color and I did to turn it off and back on to correct it. I guess its a handshake issue.

Ollie Pooch

Hmm, that's interesting. I literally haven't had a single issue and have used it in a variety of ways for almost 3 days now.. I find it amazing. It's so much quicker than the 2012 model and i'm genuinely shocked with how good Android is.

The only issue i'm finding is that when you go home, it's impossible to get back to your source easily.. What update are you running? Maybe it's got a different firmware in Australia? Only thing I can't comment on is Google Cast. Haven't used that at all yet but i'm shocked with how well YouTube functionality works when sending it from phone.

The only issue I have is an insane amount of clouding whenever the screen is black. Do you have this at all? I've never seen it on a LED but not sure if it's part of the new technology? One of the corners is pretty much all cloudy as as well as the bottom middle.
Yeah, it has some pretty bad clouding/backlight bleed. TBH that doesn't really bother me, it's just super buggy. Really disappointed! Of course it might just be a dud. Called the store and copped a heap of attitude and they told me to call Sony to come and look at it, which I'm not doing. I've only had it three days. See how I go tomorrow, I guess.

I'm reading so many stories about spontaneous crashes and restarts on Sony TVs and that's going back to like 2011-2012, even.

Shancake

Yeah, it has some pretty bad clouding/backlight bleed. TBH that doesn't really bother me, it's just super buggy. Really disappointed! Of course it might just be a dud. Called the store and copped a heap of attitude and they told me to call Sony to come and look at it, which I'm not doing. I've only had it three days. See how I go tomorrow, I guess.

I'm reading so many stories about spontaneous crashes and restarts on Sony TVs and that's going back to like 2011-2012, even.
Yeah my last model used to crash all the time and I always had to unplug it from the power to get it to respond. In saying that I had my first major crash tonight whilst YouTubing. How are you finding it for gaming?

Ollie Pooch

Yeah my last model used to crash all the time and I always had to unplug it from the power to get it to respond. In saying that I had my first major crash tonight whilst YouTubing. How are you finding it for gaming?
I haven't used it for gaming yet as I've been so busy with work - TBH it's left such a bad feeling that we're just gonna bundle it up and return it. I don't want to look back in a few months and regret not getting a refund! A TV crashing/freezing is just ridiculous to me. We haven't had it last through a tv show or movie yet.

I want a non-Android based TV so gonna look at LG (I believe they use something else).

werks

Banned
So my 50" Panasonic g10 died in a lightning strike couple of days ago. I'm looking at a couple of different TVs but I'm pretty open to suggestions. Right now I'm looking at the 55ec9300 for $2000 and XBR-55X850C for $1300.

Are there any other TVs I should be considering? Max price range is $2000.

Why can't one of these manufacturers make a DUMB tv??

I bet 90% of the input lag comes from all the damn software on these new TVs. I don't need webOS or youtube/Netflix/prime/HBOgo/hulu/etc/etc/etc built into my TV. My console does all of that just fine (and so do computers for that matter).

If they would just get rid of all the CRAP we don't really need on these TVs they'd be a bit cheaper (at least) and probably have lower latency.

I went to best buy the other day shopping around and asked if they had ANY TVs without all this shit on them, and was pointed to a dusty old corner with some 32" models.

/sigh

I don't think that's the case?

As far as I know, input lag is a product of picture processing combined with the responsiveness of the panel. Nothing to do with apps and such.

Top Bottom