• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Grainy.. well you do have to consider you are upsacling everything yous ee.

Obviously native is best so the upcoming 4k blu-rays should be jaw-dropping :)

But still, they shouldn't really be overly grainy or blurry on the better TVs when it comes to upscaling current blu-rays. They should look quite good.

It's not a problem on my 2015 Sony (X850C) with the new chip/engine, blu-rays look fantastic on it. And other brands also have sets that are supposed to be quite good at it too.

This is mostly during movies. Playing games its fine but I watched Star Trek on bluray and the picture quality kinda sucked and I know that that movie is supposed to look great. I tried taking it off game mode and was only able to get it to go from grainy to blurry. Think one of those calibration blurays would help?

Outside of game mode you might want check and try to turn off or adjust those image processing settings, as usually recommended a good number of them are best left off, if you haven't already done so as well.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
This is mostly during movies. Playing games its fine but I watched Star Trek on bluray and the picture quality kinda sucked and I know that that movie is supposed to look great. I tried taking it off game mode and was only able to get it to go from grainy to blurry. Think one of those calibration blurays would help?
You haven't changed the sharpness settings as samsungs should be kept at 50

Filth

The 55ec9300 has been $1500 and $1700 at Fry's and micro center in the past month

I have a micro center by me I never visited. If I were to impulse buy should I wait for prime day? I'm assuming to price match because I don't have Amazon prime

werks

Banned
I have a micro center by me I never visited. If I were to impulse buy should I wait for prime day? I'm assuming to price match because I don't have Amazon prime
I would, the micro enter deal is good for the month and it seems like they keep getting stock. You can see how many tvs the local store has on their website and make a decision.

1500-1700 is the lowest it has been but I don't see the harm in waiting a couple of days.

My PC monitor now looks like utter crap.

Halp.

Also, the TV went up in price since I purchased. Watch it drop to the price I bought at for the prime day sale.
How much did you pay? Also does the dimple in the curve bother you? I noticed it at an angle at bestbuy but I'm sure I won't be watching tv at an angle, just seemed odd since none of the Samsung curve tvs have a visible dimple at an angle.

Filth

I would, the micro enter deal is good for the month and it seems like they keep getting stock. You can see how many tvs the local store has on their website and make a decision.

1500-1700 is the lowest it has been but I don't see the harm in waiting a couple of days.

How much did you pay? Also does the dimple in the curve bother you? I noticed it at an angle at bestbuy but I'm sure I won't be watching tv at an angle, just seemed odd since none of the Samsung curve tvs have a visible dimple at an angle.

Blehhhhhh it's listed at 2499 at my store. If the price were to go down to 1500-1700 I'd jump on that

DCS

Banned
I have a Panasonic 50VT65 Plasma with no IR or screen/image issues, obviously it has the best picture I have ever seen with great viewing angles. In our new place however the screen needs to be a little bit bigger so we can game from the couch, I am having slight money issues so even if we could find one wouldn't be able to afford upgrading to a larger model of the same TV. I have seen the 55" Sony w829 for £649 at John Lewis with a 5 year warranty, I'd be able to sell the VT65 for £800-£1000 so this would be profitable for me. I love the low input lag (our time is split 50/50 between gaming and Netflix/Hulu all via the PS4) and the fact that I will be able to fully control the PS4 from the remote (including the HOME button which the Panasonic frustratingly can't do) as well as the bigger screen but am conscious that I will be seeing a massive reduction in picture quality from what I have now.

Would I be fucking nuts and regret it if I did this?

It was at ~2200 when I ordered. And I noticed the dimples immediately when I unpacked, but forgot they were there once the TV was setup and on.

EasyMode

Would I be fucking nuts and regret it if I did this?

Over a year ago I briefly had both a Panasonic VT60 and Sony W900, and was deciding which to keep. It was a similar situation where the Panasonic had the better picture, and the Sony had lower lag. Ultimately I decided on the Sony because I was playing more games at the time and really loved the responsiveness (and lack of IR, which was a problem for me), but I really did prefer the plasma for TV and movies by quite a margin. Basically, I didn't regret it when I was gaming, and I did regret it when I wasn't gaming.

HF2014

I see a few deals on tv's but lots of em have a 60hz refresh rate. Is it still that important now? When i bought my old lg in 2008 or 2009, it was a tru motion 120hz tv, but its not a 1080p tv, it support it, but upscale . So wondering if i could regret getting a 60hz tv...

Yep, same here although I have a Pioneer Kuro 9G.

I got the ZT60 since I was looking for bigger tv and it was the only thing on the market back in 2013 that I gave recognition to as a follow up to my Kuro, and it's an absolute worthy upgrade, the black levels are indeed insane on that thing and it's an extremely beautiful tv.

I got both the Kuro Elite 9G 50 inch and the Panasonic ZT60 65 inch (their highest and last line of plasmas from Panasonic which I guess is a similar situation with the 9G Kuros) and I would cry if one of them goes out on me.

What's the deal with when I bought these tvs they would announce they would stop making them months later?!

Watch, I finally get an OLED tv, and then LG announces they are bowing out.

TheBoss1

plasma all the way to me.
those panasonics deep blacks are insane.

But no one is making plasma TVs anymore and the only good ones left over for sale are the super expensive ones ($2,500+).

Why is no one making a smaller, more affordable OLED TV? All the ones I see available are 55" and above.

hitgirl

LEDs have surpassed Plasma's awhile ago. Only good thing about plasmas is they were cheap.

But no one is making plasma TVs anymore and the only good ones left over for sale are the super expensive ones ($2,500+).

Why is no one making a smaller, more affordable OLED TV? All the ones I see available are 55" and above.

because LG has the patent on good OLED technology. Samsung and Sony can't manufacture them with good yields.

Weevilone

My mom's Panasonic VT60 just crapped out and it's just 14 months old. Technically it's still working, but there's a line of missing pixels left of center from top to bottom.

She bought it with a Discover card, so trying to find out how they'll handle a $1500 repair.

Anyone who's bought a new Samsung 4k recently should check this...

https://samsungpromotions.com/netflix

Free year of Netflix!

Sucks I can't get it because my delivery got delayed until next week.. :(

Also this is a good deal. 1TB USB 3.0 HDD with 10 4k movies (UHD Video Pack includes 10 movies (G.I. Joe: Retaliation, World War Z, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Night at the Museum, The Counselor, Forrest Gump, Star Trek: The Future Begins, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Life of Pi & The Book Thief) and 30 documentaries.)

Don Lapre

LEDs have surpassed Plasma's awhile ago. Only good thing about plasmas is they were cheap.

because LG has the patent on good OLED technology. Samsung and Sony can't manufacture them with good yields.

Led only surpassed plasma with brightness. And the f8500 Samsung proved plasma could get almost just as bright.

Led only surpassed plasma with brightness. And the f8500 Samsung proved plasma could get almost just as bright.

Aye, and brightness setting is the least of my worries, since it only really used often to attract people in a store environment with harsh lighting leaving torch/vivid mode on which is really terrible for picture quality in a home setting across all tvs regardless of tech. Setting brightness to high on any of my tvs, both LCDs and plasmas is eye straining.

Initial follow-up on that LG OLED screen.

Initial out of the box picture settings aren't great. While at first the contrast ratio and true black blow you away, this set demands proper calibration (though the included cinema, APS, and expert settings come decently close). Furthermore, to fully eliminate extra processing on the signal, you'll need to configure your input as a PC.

Post-calibration its easily the best picture I've ever seen, but its not without its flaws, so lets start there.

* Motion judder on 24 fps material. Movies will have a bit of judder unless you use the "true motion" settings. Thankfully, these are user adjustable, and you can get a setting that eliminates the judder and doesn't dip into soap opera territory.
* Pixel consistency - at very, very dark colors (just above full black) my display exhibits a bit of inconsistency manifesting as a vertical bar slightly lighter in color just right of center. This isn't a deal breaker because the conditions under which it manifests have been extremely rare.

Now for gaming purposes, things are a bit interesting. Using any non-game mode picture setting results in unacceptable input lag. Using the aforementioned PC configuration helps, but I still found that game mode gave by far the best performance. The rub here is that game mode does not offer near as much flexibility in calibration as the excellent "expert mode" which offers full 20 point adjustment as an option. While I was able to very closely match the game mode setting to the calibrated expert setting, the lack of 20 point adjustment in game mode means that colors retain a very, very faint green tint in certain ranges. However, I found this only really to be noticeable in comparison to the calibrated "expert mode" settings, and the overall picture is still leaps and bounds beyond anything else. I'd also feel extremely comfortable using the PC input / game mode settings with my computer.

Actually, if LG made a sub-27 inch 1080p OLED display I'd buy it in a heart-beat for my PC. While I assumed GSYNC would be my next monitor upgrade, I don't know that I can live without those inky blacks and brilliant contrast.

Litri

Living in EU. Currently plan to buy the Samsung UHD TV JU7090. I looked for reviews on the net and couldn't find any for this specific model although I found
this -> http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue48ju7500-201504074038.htm

Only difference is that this is the curved model. Anybody knows if Samsung TVs are good at input lag? Review seems to say so but just want to hear if somebody has noticed big problems with lag with their Samsung TVs.

werks

Banned
Blehhhhhh it's listed at 2499 at my store. If the price were to go down to 1500-1700 I'd jump on that

There is a coupon to bring it down to 1700 at microcenter.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7951909-mic...-tax-after-in-store-coupon?v=1&src=SiteSearch

Initial out of the box picture settings aren't great. While at first the contrast ratio and true black blow you away, this set demands proper calibration (though the included cinema, APS, and expert settings come decently close). Furthermore, to fully eliminate extra processing on the signal, you'll need to configure your input as a PC.

Post-calibration its easily the best picture I've ever seen, but its not without its flaws, so lets start there.

* Motion judder on 24 fps material. Movies will have a bit of judder unless you use the "true motion" settings. Thankfully, these are user adjustable, and you can get a setting that eliminates the judder and doesn't dip into soap opera territory.
* Pixel consistency - at very, very dark colors (just above full black) my display exhibits a bit of inconsistency manifesting as a vertical bar slightly lighter in color just right of center. This isn't a deal breaker because the conditions under which it manifests have been extremely rare.

Now for gaming purposes, things are a bit interesting. Using any non-game mode picture setting results in unacceptable input lag. Using the aforementioned PC configuration helps, but I still found that game mode gave by far the best performance. The rub here is that game mode does not offer near as much flexibility in calibration as the excellent "expert mode" which offers full 20 point adjustment as an option. While I was able to very closely match the game mode setting to the calibrated expert setting, the lack of 20 point adjustment in game mode means that colors retain a very, very faint green tint in certain ranges. However, I found this only really to be noticeable in comparison to the calibrated "expert mode" settings, and the overall picture is still leaps and bounds beyond anything else. I'd also feel extremely comfortable using the PC input / game mode settings with my computer.

Actually, if LG made a sub-27 inch 1080p OLED display I'd buy it in a heart-beat for my PC. While I assumed GSYNC would be my next monitor upgrade, I don't know that I can live without those inky blacks and brilliant contrast.

Thanks for the followup, I'm convinced that the LG is my next TV. Ruled out of the JS9000 samsung. While 4K looks amazing on the TV, I can't justify getting a 4K tv when the majority of my content will be 1080p. I do really like the fact that the hardware on the top of the line samsungs are upgradeable.

What you wrote is inline with everything I read about the oled. Picture isn't perfect and the panel has some inconsistencies but it is still the best PQ out there. It's too bad LG ended up with Kodak's oled patents because I would love to see what Panasonic or Sony could do with that panel. But right now it seems that oled from a mediocre company is better than LED from the best.

Mohonky

What are you using for calibration?

TheBoss1

Anyone got the Samsung HU8550? It's a deal on Amazon Prime sale today for $1,000 but rtings said the lag was high then provided an update saying it was fixed. What is "fixed" worth if there's no numerical value to back it up? Display lag has 2 different numbers (40ms for the 65" and 59ms for the 50") which is strange.

Edit: And now it's gone T_T

Sony KDL-50W805C 50" Android TV is up on Amazon deals later, which I've been eying up for a while now.

The KDL-48W705C 48" is also up in a bit.

What are you using for calibration?

Started with AVS forum settings posted by one fullybob here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...oled-lg-55ec9300-part-ii-19.html#post29916225

Then adjusted the color gamut to wide instead of standard (while standard may be technically more accurate, I prefer the increased saturation you get using the wide gamut). Looks fantastic in practice and against test patterns even through the gamma adjust of the Xbox One. I'll be playing with a few more settings, but I'm pretty satisfied with those as a baseline.

ss_lemonade

For the w900a, is the xv color space setting the same as extending color support? I just bought an xbox one and noticed it has video settings for color depth and space. I sort of figured out the correct color space and tv settings I need to prevent crushing colors but what about color depth? Is that something I would/can set higher and do I need to fiddle with the w900a's color space setting to match?

Jigolo

For the w900a, is the xv color space setting the same as extending color support? I just bought an xbox one and noticed it has video settings for color depth and space. I sort of figured out the correct color space and tv settings I need to prevent crushing colors but what about color depth? Is that something I would/can set higher and do I need to fiddle with the w900a's color space setting to match?

I'm sure you can find the answer here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-official-sony-kdl-55w900a-owners-thread.html

Filth

There is a coupon to bring it down to 1700 at microcenter.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7951909-mic...-tax-after-in-store-coupon?v=1&src=SiteSearch

Thanks for the followup, I'm convinced that the LG is my next TV. Ruled out of the JS9000 samsung. While 4K looks amazing on the TV, I can't justify getting a 4K tv when the majority of my content will be 1080p. I do really like the fact that the hardware on the top of the line samsungs are upgradeable.

What you wrote is inline with everything I read about the oled. Picture isn't perfect and the panel has some inconsistencies but it is still the best PQ out there. It's too bad LG ended up with Kodak's oled patents because I would love to see what Panasonic or Sony could do with that panel. But right now it seems that oled from a mediocre company is better than LED from the best.

I just saw your reply and want to say thank you. I think I'll be going to pick this up tomorrow. Is mounting it to a wall possible ? I remember asking a guy at bestbuy and he didn't have an answer for me. I'm 80 % sure I'm going to get this and I've never calibrated a TV before. I'd appreciate any help you can offer me THANKS AGAIN !!!

werks

Banned
I just saw your reply and want to say thank you. I think I'll be going to pick this up tomorrow. Is mounting it to a wall possible ? I remember asking a guy at bestbuy and he didn't have an answer for me. I'm 80 % sure I'm going to get this and I've never calibrated a TV before. I'd appreciate any help you can offer me THANKS AGAIN !!!
No problem, just cause I'm missing out on the deal doesn't mean you have to. I saw mounts for the tv on Amazon, just search the model # and look at what Amazon recommends you buy with it.

For calibration, I would stick with the avsforum link posted above by bornstellar.

ZOONAMI

A panasonic 4k set (lcd/led) is the answer. Contrast nearly as good as their old plasmas, but higher resolution. And you get 3D to boot.

You can set the deep color to yes and have master in 4K on but unless you are sending it a signal with something that supports it like one of their master in 4k blu rays that is in that color space it's pointless. At least that was the case when I had my X900B.

Since your display supports deep color you can use 36 bit color depth on Xbox, thats fine. but chances of anything sending that actual color space are slim outside of the master in 4k blu rays and even then I believe the xbox would have to support xv color and I'm not sure if it does.

Plus iirc sony doesn't have a CMS so you cannot even try to calibrate for that. So where ever the points land for the primaries and secondaries thats what you get.

The only bad thing about deep color is that it over saturates the colors, and since you cannot calibrate with a CMS on the sony's it's meh

What is the consensus on the sony x850c / x85c

It is not as crazy expensive as the 930, and looks like a nice 4k sony set. Input lag also seems similar to 930 (34 ms).
I have an x850a, and things work great. Display lag isn't really noticeable, but I don't play music games. No issues with Guilty Gear or Skullgirls, though.

Picture quality is fantastic. There are two game modes, so use Game: Original, if you want to turn off all image processing.

I planing to buy a 4k tv , how does ps4 and wii u games look on them?
Everything looks fine.

I bought a Sony 1080p 46 inch for 1500 dollars back in 2009. Would a 2015 model make that much of a picture difference while gaming? I'm sure I could get a bigger screen for the same overall dimensions.

Jigolo

Someone come over and calibrate this for me. I never realized how clueless I was with tv's Jesus

Whatever TV you have just google the product name with abs next to it and you should find a thread on the AVS forum. Example:

google: "lg ec9300 avs"

That's the forum where I calibrated my samsung TV

boom my first oled tv has been purchased. :D
Welcome to a world where every other display looks a bit crap.

Also, try using the avs forum settings as a baseline. If that doesn't look good, there are more posted settings in that thread (first post tells you which ones) which may be better suited to your set. Also, don't forget to turn on automatic updates for the firm ware. The latest version has much better presets for aps, cinema, and expert modes.

Top Bottom