• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Dead

well not really...yet
oh wow. I had never heard of that. Something I experienced with New Nintendo 3DS XL.

never again.

edit: why is the Sony 930C $1500 more expensive than the 850C?
Local Dimming, Xtended Dynamic Range (Truer blacks, better shadow detail, better peak whites, etc). Higher contrast panel with better native black levels. Brighter panel too with compatibility for future HDR content. Better motion control. Built in "premium" speakers.

Basically 850C is a low grade to mid range 4K panel, while the 930C is the premium model with far better performance.

Finalow

I guess it's time that I actually buy a new tv.

I don't care too much about input lag, I mostly care about how good it looks. hence, should I go for a 4K LED? If so, what are the best ones out there? I don't want to spend too much and I'm fine with a 40", 43" or 48" tv.
or I should just avoid 4Ks? I think someone here recommended me a Sony KDL tv before.
anyone? :mad:

I guess it's time that I actually buy a new tv.

I don't care too much about input lag, I mostly care about how good it looks. hence, should I go for a 4K LED? If so, what are the best ones out there? I don't want to spend too much and I'm fine with a 40", 43" or 48" tv.
or I should just avoid 4Ks? I think someone here recommended me a Sony KDL tv before.

Unless you're using it like a monitor, I don't think having 4K with those TV sizes will be noticeable so just go for 1080p TV.

Is Sony the best brand in UHD TVs at the moment?

What about Samsung and Panasonic, these days?

If I wanted a 4k 65" TV for gaming (i.e. with low input lag), which brand(s) would you guys point me toward?

Need to upgrade my 2008 42" Panny plasma.

Never go solely off brand. It's about models not brand.

If you want screen uniformity and better blacks you may want to look at the X930C from Sony.

If you want lots of apps, better color accuracy, better controls for picture adjustment look at Samsung.

Generally panasonic and samsung always have it locked in with color accuracy, and motion. Uniformity sony has also done well. Black lvl used to be panasonic but then everything went lcd so that has generally moved to samsung and sony depending on if they are using an IPS or VA panel.

You really should look at the model and what the display is using for the screen. Also keep in mind you want to get something that is a native 10bit panel and uses the latest full bandwidth hdmi. so that way it can do at least 4:2:2 @60hz

Sony's don't they run it at 8bit they use 4:2:0 at 8bit so they don't have a full bandwidth hdmi

I think the only ones that can are some of the SUHD line from Samsung, the AX900, and a few LG models.

So again...brand really means less in less when you look at individual models. Each TV has its downside as well, just comes down to what you are willing to live with

hitgirl

Saw the $50,000 short throw sony project last night. Was pretty cool. Also saw the 70"+ 900c and wasn't impressed. It's thin, but that's a problem as I could see the LED edge light.

Saw the $50,000 short throw sony project last night. Was pretty cool. Also saw the 70"+ 900c and wasn't impressed. It's thin, but that's a problem as I could see the LED edge light.

Yeah that was my only problem when I owned the X900B. The edge bleeding was pretty crazy.

Other then that it was pretty nice, good blacks for a edge lit VA panel, great uniformity, good color accuracy considering you cannot do a cms. Off angle was horrible but that is to be expected, wb was good also. It calibrated well but the bleeding and the picture quality on sources from cable (uverse) left a lot to be desired. Blu ray and games looked great.

I do have to hand it to sony though considering they never really gave you a full calibration suite in their displays they are fairly accurate. Its just samsung and panasonic can be more accurate because they give you a full suite.

Though they did add 10pt wb settings this year around and got rid of that silly scene selection that had the picture modes within it.

Is the 70" using an IPS panel? Last year they did that with the 70" 900B. The 65" and lower used a VA panel, anything over 65" used a IPS panel, which really had an impact on the pq and black level.

That's one thing I wish people would realize. Thinness does absolutely NOTHING for PQ, and actually hurts it more then it does help it. It's those people that eat that shit up that make manufactures pumping them out. I hate when people say oh I got this display and it's this thin. I'm always like oh yeah? Thats cool, too bad that doesn't do anything to make the picture actually look better. I mean your not watching the side of your TV.

chrislowe

I will make an order of a Samsung JU6675 48" UHD tv for my gaming.

Is there any known issues I should know of?.. Like high latency, or something?.

Its one of the curved ones, I hope it makes it feel more real in racing games which I love to play.

Got my 55 inch Samsung Ju7100 on Tuesday. I like it, the black levels aren't messing with my old Panasonic G series plasma, but it's an LCD so I didn't expect it to. I am still doing some fiddling with the picture settings but I like the standard and movie settings as bases, I use standard for games and turn off the auto motion or whatever extra frame rate BS that I hate. I don't see a way to turn on game mode though.

I played Half Life 2 in 4k (since it's the only game that my 660 GTX can handle at a good frame rate in 4k) and it looked pretty nice. However my computer sets the native res a just a hair under true 4k, if I turn it up there's over scan...

Never go solely off brand. It's about models not brand.

If you want screen uniformity and better blacks you may want to look at the X930C from Sony.

If you want lots of apps, better color accuracy, better controls for picture adjustment look at Samsung.

Generally panasonic and samsung always have it locked in with color accuracy, and motion. Uniformity sony has also done well. Black lvl used to be panasonic but then everything went lcd so that has generally moved to samsung and sony depending on if they are using an IPS or VA panel.

You really should look at the model and what the display is using for the screen. Also keep in mind you want to get something that is a native 10bit panel and uses the latest full bandwidth hdmi. so that way it can do at least 4:2:2 @60hz

Sony's don't they run it at 8bit they use 4:2:0 at 8bit so they don't have a full bandwidth hdmi

I think the only ones that can are some of the SUHD line from Samsung, the AX900, and a few LG models.

So again...brand really means less in less when you look at individual models. Each TV has its downside as well, just comes down to what you are willing to live with
Appreciate all the info! However, since asking the "which brand" question, I've learned about the Samsung panel lottery thing, and that is a game I never wish to play again after getting screwed on the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

I won't be ready to buy until spring of next year, but I'm interested in something with awesome picture quality, low lag and room to grow in the future (4K). Don't care about apps because I have video game systems for those.

Samsung Panel Lottery is really only a thing on their shit grade TVs.

Any of their nicer panels are guaranteed to be one of their own panels.
Ah, okay. What kind of price threshold are you talking about here?

Dead

well not really...yet
Samsung Panel Lottery is really only a thing on their shit grade TVs.

Any of their nicer panels are guaranteed to be one of their own panels.

All right. I hate to be the kind of poster that stumbles in crying "help me," but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to buy a TV. There is such a wide range of features that it's very difficult for me to determine what is actually good, especially since I am unable to actually LOOK at most of the TVs people recommend.

I was looking at the 2015 Sony KDL50, because it is supposed to look incredible and have unheard of low input lag.

But it's a 3D TV, which is feature I will never, ever use. And I don't want to pay for a feature I won't use.

It's also 50", and that's great, but I really only need something like a 42". So while I'm definitely not against a 50", it's bigger than I need as well.

It's also edge-lit, and while I have never seen the difference first hand, I have seen people saying to never buy an edge-lit TV.

What I really want is:
-42" to 48" screen
-low input lag
-high picture quality
-no 3D
-backlit screen

Can anybody help a guy who just wants to make the smartest possible purchase?

Dead

well not really...yet
Appreciate all the info! However, since asking the "which brand" question, I've learned about the Samsung panel lottery thing, and that is a game I never wish to play again after getting screwed on the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

I won't be ready to buy until spring of next year, but I'm interested in something with awesome picture quality, low lag and room to grow in the future (4K). Don't care about apps because I have video game systems for those.

Generally 7 series and up, so I guess around $2000 for 65 and up?

androvsky

Got my 55 inch Samsung Ju7100 on Tuesday. I like it, the black levels aren't messing with my old Panasonic G series plasma, but it's an LCD so I didn't expect it to. I am still doing some fiddling with the picture settings but I like the standard and movie settings as bases, I use standard for games and turn off the auto motion or whatever extra frame rate BS that I hate. I don't see a way to turn on game mode though.

I played Half Life 2 in 4k (since it's the only game that my 660 GTX can handle at a good frame rate in 4k) and it looked pretty nice. However my computer sets the native res a just a hair under true 4k, if I turn it up there's over scan...

Game mode is buried in the settings menu, it's not with the rest of the picture settings. I don't remember where exactly, but it's something like system settings. I just bought the exact same TV about a month ago, am really enjoying it. For TVs, 4K is 3840x2160, for cinema it's 4096x2160; the Samsung will be 3840x2160 for the native resolution so make sure you pick that.

By the way, is it okay to post a link to demo clips that 4K TVs use in stores? I don't know what kind of copyright issues would be involved, but the sites that have them aren't exactly hiding. But if you want to explain why you spent extra on a 4K tv, an HDR 10-bit h.265 high bitrate clip works wonders.

Pulled the trigger on a refurbished 65" Samsung H7150 today as a hold-me-over until larger OLED TVs become more affordable. Coming from a Pioneer Kuro, I know this is going to be a downgrade in picture quality, but 50" isn't cutting it at 10 feet. I just hope it's not too huge of a downgrade. I'm pretty obsessive about picture quality...

Right but you assume its all Samsungs now it's not. It's how certain models are manufactured and come off the line.

Also it depends on Edge lit vs full array. I have seen people return several displays from all manufactures because of "panel lottery"

Also who makes teh panel. Not meaning the manufacture, I mean the screen itself.

So there is way more to it then which brand.

OCD Guy

I've noticed there are a few owners on here of the LG 1080p Oled, 55EC9300.

I'd appreciate one of you doing me a quick favour to put my mind at rest, basically at the back of the TV where the power cable is could you put the TV on mute and put your head round the back of the TV and tell me if you can hear a buzzing noise.

Thanks

EasyMode

I've noticed there are a few owners on here of the LG 1080p Oled, 55EC9300.

I'd appreciate one of you doing me a quick favour to put my mind at rest, basically at the back of the TV where the power cable is could you put the TV on mute and put your head round the back of the TV and tell me if you can hear a buzzing noise.

Thanks

I have that TV. I checked behind it like you said, and I honestly can't hear any buzzing. Is yours doing that, and is it noticeable from the couch? I've had plasmas with loud buzzing, so I know how distracting that can be.

OCD Guy

I have that TV. I checked behind it like you said, and I honestly can't hear any buzzing. Is yours doing that, and is it noticeable from the couch? I've had plasmas with loud buzzing, so I know how distracting that can be.

I always had plasmas as I can't deal with backlight bleed, bad viewing angles, and grey blacks on lcds, my last TV was a VT60 and to clarify the buzzing is not like plasma buzz which could be heard from normal viewing distances on bright scenes.

It's a faint buzz/hum and it appears to be coming from where the cable is hardwird into the back of the TV.

EasyMode

I always had plasmas as I can't deal with backlight bleed, bad viewing angles, and grey blacks on lcds, my last TV was a VT60 and to clarify the buzzing is not like plasma buzz which could be heard from normal viewing distances on bright scenes.

It's a faint buzz/hum and it appears to be coming from where the cable is hardwird into the back of the TV.

I had the VT60 as well. That one loved to buzz on white screens.

I checked again with my head right next to where the power cable comes out and I couldn't hear anything. I bought my 9300 last fall, I'm not sure if there's any differences in newer ones.

OCD Guy

I had the VT60 as well. That one loved to buzz on white screens.

I checked again with my head right next to where the power cable comes out and I couldn't hear anything. I bought my 9300 last fall, I'm not sure if there's any differences in newer models.

I've had mine a few months now, build date of January 2015. Damn, well thanks for checking.

I would go to a store and check a few models but with the noise in a store it would be pointless trying to hear it, plus I'd probably look insane putting my head up to the back of a TV lol

On a more positive note, I still can't get over the blacks, the VT60 had an obvious glow to the blacks in a pitch black room, with ambient lighting then it was pitch dark, but with the LG (or Oled in general) there's literally no glow, th screen looks off, it looks amazing on a black screen with an image in the centre, it looks like it's floating

OCD Guy

I wonder if people who post pictures of TV images realize that the people who see the images are viewing them on their displays so it's pointless.

Yeah, I realise that viewing an pictures of an Oled on an lcd monitor is about as useful as listening to a high end sound system via a mobile phone, or watching a YouTube video while using your PC speakers lol..

It's not as though I said "hey check out how deep the blacks are while viewing on your lcd monitor with grey blacks and backlight bleed" or "look at my calibrated display, I took pictures with an iPad, and you will view them on an uncalibrated lcd, so you'll get a good idea of how it looks" lol

Ocaso

No love for vizio m series? Speculating on getting a Samsung 60 JU7100 or a Vizio 65 M series.

I don't know if it's just that few people have bought a Vizio M, but I always take the opportunity to say that I'm very satisfied with it and I was coming from a Panny plasma. Local dimming works incredibly well in terms of creating deep, rich blacks, colors look vibrant yet natural, and the strobing backlight feature works beautifully at reducing motion blur. The biggest downside I perceive is the limited viewing angle with a pretty drastic loss in image quality when viewing it off-center (and of course, the lack of 3D), but it's otherwise a great TV.

psychotron

I don't know if it's just that few people have bought a Vizio M, but I always take the opportunity to say that I'm very satisfied with it and I was coming from a Panny plasma. Local dimming works incredibly well in terms of creating deep, rich blacks, colors look vibrant yet natural, and the strobing backlight feature works beautifully at reducing motion blur. The biggest downside I perceive is the limited viewing angle with a pretty drastic loss in image quality when viewing it off-center (and of course, the lack of 3D), but it's otherwise a great TV.

I had an M Series for a bit, and it is indeed a nice set. My faults with it were the same as what you describe, but also issues due to the limited dimming zones. It becomes apparent on the XBox One when purchasing something. A gray screen comes up with a white swirling circle. You can clearly see the gray area getting brighter / darker as the circle is swirling, as the dimming zones are trying to keep up. Granted, this isn't noticeable in most content if you aren't looking for it, but the white text in Witcher 3 was much duller due to the the local dimming.

astonish

No love for vizio m series? Speculating on getting a Samsung 60 JU7100 or a Vizio 65 M series.

I'm in the same boat. I think I'll be grabbing a 65" M. I missed the boat buying an W900 years ago, but I'm not going to let this one go buy. The 7100 looks great, but I don't really care about 3D anymore and the few qualities of the 7100 might beat the Vizio on it won't make up for the $1000 more the thing will cost me here in Canada.

dsk1210

I've had mine a few months now, build date of January 2015. Damn, well thanks for checking.

I would go to a store and check a few models but with the noise in a store it would be pointless trying to hear it, plus I'd probably look insane putting my head up to the back of a TV lol

On a more positive note, I still can't get over the blacks, the VT60 had an obvious glow to the blacks in a pitch black room, with ambient lighting then it was pitch dark, but with the LG (or Oled in general) there's literally no glow, th screen looks off, it looks amazing on a black screen with an image in the centre, it looks like it's floating

I have had my OLED for about 5 months now.

The picture still excites me. it really does show the flaws in poor material though.

Finalow

Rtings.com is pretty useful to compare TV's. They give a lot of good information in their reviews.
looking at this I see that the best 1080p tvs are samsung J6300 for 46"/48" and J6200 for 40". J6300 has a 40" version too, shouldn't that be better?

also what do you people think about the J6300? I was thinking of getting that.

also I found Samsung UE40J6300AK 40" and SAMSUNG UE40J6300AKXXC, they look similar but I'm not sure. does that XXC at the end mean that it's a different model?

Are there any strobed OLED screens out yet?

Is Sony the best brand in UHD TVs at the moment?

What about Samsung and Panasonic, these days?

If I wanted a 4k 65" TV for gaming (i.e. with low input lag), which brand(s) would you guys point me toward?

Need to upgrade my 2008 42" Panny plasma.
I hope you're not planning on going from 1080p60 on a plasma to 2160p30 on an LCD. The motionblur would be unbearable. Even 2160p60 LCD is going to be rough.

Lace

Picked up the oled 55ec9300 for $1499 before tax and let me say

i2eUkOCR6Nk3e.gif

Only TV I've ever purchased that I've felt no buyers remorse.

I'm looking for a secondary 39" or 40" for my bedroom. Looking for the best possible deal dollar wise. I don't need smart features as it will only be used for watching blueray and evening news. Does 1080 have a noticeable difference over 720 at this small size? How about the generic brands from Walmart or Costco? Any recommendations? I'm trying to stay under $300 is I can.

werks

Banned
Found an open box 55ec9300 OLED at microcenter for $1250. It was basically brand new except for the box being open, the TV was never even unwrapped or turned on.

Holy shit at the PQ, best buy viewing doesn't do this TV justice.

OCD Guy

Good to see more people picking up the LG Oled. The prices are getting crazy now, I paid full price :(

Anyway remember to set your hdmi input to PC and then put the picture setting to game mode for reduced input lag.

Another bonus of setting the hdmi to PC is you get full 4:4:4 chroma.

I actually can't play video games without full chroma (always enabled 1080p pure direct on the VT60) things like red, magenta etc looks really low res, so for example red text looks jaggy as hell.

Jigolo

It's funny. There were a lot of doubters earlier in the thread claiming OLEDs will remain really expensive for the foreseeable future.

The 65in EG9600 started at $8999 and that launched in March. It's July and the price has gone down to $6999. Compare that to Samsung's best LED FALD TV the JS9500 at $4500 currently and it doesn't seem to bad. I wouldn't call it affordable but at this rate, I could see that TV going for $5500 somewhere on Black Friday. LGD is improving yields steadily for the OLEDs so prices are sinking. It's the perfect time for these panels to be dropping in price because 2016 is the year we should have most things standardized and hopefully LG can fix some of the quirks from this years OLEDs.

Here's a prediction: LGs top of the line 2016 65 in OLED will launch next year with HDR, HDMI2a, HDCP 2.2, all the bells, webOS 3 but instead of the starting price of $9000, I can see it beginning MSRP at $5-6k with prices being around 3.5k for Black Friday (which is pretty standard pricing for todays premium LCD sets).

Top Bottom