• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Kyoufu

nice! is it just for the E6? or all the 2016 OLEDs?

Dunno. Should be all of them.

I'm not sure if I notice anything different. Someone will have to use a Leo Bodnar latency tester and see if anything has changed.

Input lag in HDR doesn't feel bad to me but then again, it never did.

It was a large update btw.

b0bbyJ03

I'm not sure if I notice anything different. Someone will have to use a Leo Bodnar latency tester and see if anything has changed.

Awesome, would love to know if it did anything. I'll check back. Appreciate the heads up in the first place. Thanks. I'll check my B6 when I get home from work.

ukas

What's the version number?

Izuna

Banned
So my new temporary monitor is a 24GM77 (which is a crappy 120hz gaming TN panel). I'll be doing my best to fix the colour because rn it's quite bad. It has nothing on the u2414H I used to have (I've seen them side-by-side).

Should be good enough until HDR monitors become a thing though. It only cost me £28 to borrow.

b0bbyJ03

just looked at the B/C6 owners thread on the AVS forums and the reports are that the B6 firmware update addresses the stuttering issue with non 24p content. UK owners are reporting that it completely fixes it. I wasn't even aware that there was an issue, but then again I just got the TV yesterday. If anyone in the US notices that the update was pushed out, let me know what you think. Thanks.

Weevilone

are you using it with a directv box or the directv ready feature? I'm running into issues where some channels display great and some are hot garbage.

I'm using it with a box. I'm not familiar with the feature you mention. I need a new AVR at some point, but I'm also wondering if the forthcoming Oppo UHD player will function as a poor-man's video processor like the current models do. They have several inputs, then you can use the onboard video processing to clean up other sources like DirecTV.

But I'll be outside my return window when either of those things happens (AVR or Oppo).

ukas

I'm using it with a box. I'm not familiar with the feature you mention. I need a new AVR at some point, but I'm also wondering if the forthcoming Oppo UHD player will function as a poor-man's video processor like the current models do. They have several inputs, then you can use the onboard video processing to clean up other sources like DirecTV.

But I'll be outside my return window when either of those things happens (AVR or Oppo).

The 203 isn't supposed to have a Darbee processor in it.

Any recommendations for a good avr with scaling chip to 4K?
I've seen a few posts about this and it's important to note that a good 4k scaling chip isn't going to make a trashy video signal look less trashy. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.

are you using it with a directv box or the directv ready feature? I'm running into issues where some channels display great and some are hot garbage.
This GAFfer gets it. A heavily compressed feed isn't going to win any awards by sheer fact of going through a good scaling chip.

Problems with AVR's is that they add input lag and nobody is measuring that. At least they did even in passthrough mode when I bought my Onkyo 807. About 10-15 ms.
So for my next one (currently considering a Denon) input lag will also be a factor.

Problems with AVR's is that they add input lag and nobody is measuring that. At least they did even in passthrough mode when I bought my Onkyo 807. About 10-15 ms.
So for my next one (currently considering a Denon) input lag will also be a factor.
Yeah, that's not right at all. You must have had some other feature turned on. Some AVRs will overlay an UI, which definitely adds additional input lag. But in true passthrough mode, the AVR just acts as a switch. If there is additional input lag, it'd be so nominal that it's not even worth mentioning.

I promise you your new Denon will abide by what I've just said.

Well, at least in my case I measured it myself with my Leo Bodnar tester and will make sure to do so again once I get a new AVR. Maybe my current AVR isn't able to do "true" passthrough, no idea.

farmerboy

Yeah, that's not right at all. You must have had some other feature turned on. Some AVRs will overlay an UI, which definitely adds additional input lag. But in true passthrough mode, the AVR just acts as a switch. If there is additional input lag, it'd be so nominal that it's not even worth mentioning.

I promise you your new Denon will abide by what I've just said.

I'm almost certain this is true. Whilst I have no reference I run an old panny plasma from my denon avr and experience no lag.

The Denon has a Movie mode and Game mode. I select everything through game mode and I think its fine.

Yukstin

Newer TVs have a DirecTV ready app which allows you to have DirecTV on your TV without a box. It uses your home network to connect everything together. I had to go look but it doesn't look like Vizio has their TVs setup for this.

What's your current AVR? I don't think you'll see an improvement switching from having the receiver process everything vs. the TV. I have the new Yamaha RX-A1060 and I don't see a PQ difference in the receiver decoding vs. having it set in straight pass through to the TV and having the TV do it.

You talked about watching hockey, I have the NHL center ice package. I could watch the same game and switch between two feeds and sometimes there is just a night and day difference. One feed is crisp, bright and detailed. The other could be washed out and poorly colored. You could also say the same thing for sounds. Some channel mix the 5.1 really well, some barely mix a 3.1 setup. Compression and satellite feeds are just fickle. The more TVs advance, the further they show the problems with broadcasts.

take it with a grain of salt a bit.

For one - I'm a picture quality snob, but I'm also not going to look for dead pixels. There's millions of them, it could happen, and it probably will happen, and I probably won't ever notice unless I look for it. This is also why people shouldn't go hunting for uniformity issues on grayscale slides.

Two - The LG scaler isn't the best scaler, that's for sure. Make sure your cable source is outputting 1080p, or get an AVR that does good 4k scaling, etc. Chances are your Xbox, PS4 Pro, and UHD player will all send pure 2160p so you'll be mostly set on that front. This might fly against the normal advice for TVs (let the TV scaler do the work) but in this case, your boxes may provide better scaling.

I think the TV scales 1080p perfectly fine though (this is an easy scaling job). I noticed a decent improvement in picture quality when I locked my TiVo to 1080p output instead of just passing through the channel at whatever resolution.

Thanks for the info.

I've always been slightly uneasy about buying LG as my parents/family bought LG TV's before and they kept failing within 12 months.

I was willing to forgo all of that for OLED, as I genuinely believe that it's the best upgrade to go for from a 1080p Sony KDL55W805 (I think).

However, now knowing that Panasonic is going to be releasing an OLED set next year, and knowing how amazing their plasma sets were I think i'm going to hold out and get on of their offerings, if the price/performance is right.

All of that being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Sony set that I currently own, but a new set and a PS4 Pro would be nice, ontop of which, it would allow me to utilise the 4K content on Sky/Netflix which i'm paying for through Sky Q Silver, with no way to utilise it.

I think I'm having an issue with my KS8000. Whenever I'm playing my PS4 games, every time I see a gradient I can see the stages of it instead of a smooth transition.

I especially notice this some distance in near the vertical edges of my screen when I look into a dust cloud in FFXIV.

Credo

I've been looking into new 4K HDR TVs, and I thought I had found the perfect one with the 49" KS8000 at $1,100, but I noticed it doesn't have any inputs for composite or component, and I play retro games pretty regularly. I saw that the LG E6 has a composite and component input, but it jumps in price to $2,800. Is there another 4K HDR set that has the high quality, low input lag, and lower price of the KS8000 but also has the composite and component inputs of the LG E6? Thanks in advance.

FallenCow

Neo Member
Received my B6 yesterday and here are my initial impressions: first of all, I'm coming from a Panny ST60 so my standards are pretty high plus I used to do home theater installations and Calibrations (4 years ago, so im not a professional anymore). First thing I will say is that I like subtlety in details and color and a warm overall picture. The B6 is anything but subtle out of the box. It bright as hell, motion interpolation is on, and colors and contrast are jacked up to hell. With that said, you can tell that the range is there and with a calibration you can squeeze more out of it than any other TV ive ever seen. After playing with it for about 2 hours I got my Directv picture to look gorgeous. The balance was still a little off tho, seems like it might need a little more red, but I'll leave that to a pro at this point when I get it calibrated in a month or so. I also tried Netflix 4K and tried some dolby vision content. Out of the box Dolby Vision has the same problem, its just too bright, too colorful, and not enough subtlety. It's like a punch to the eyes and I didn't have time to change the settings to make it look better. I saw someone in a post above complaining about all the noise in the Netflix 4k picture and I can confirm that this is true, problem is that he blamed it on the TV, which i can tell you is not the case. Yes, there are TVs with better scalers especially the new Sonys, but the difference is not dramatic. My best friend has a KS8000 and has the same issue (huge piece of advice, TURN OFF the edge enhancement on the B6. It's terrible). Unfortunately 4k just happens to bring out all the digital noise and unless you stream higher quality content you're just going to have to deal with it. I can confirm this because I tried using Vudu and the picture was significantly better. I also connected my PC and tried 4K Battlefield 1, Abzu, and Gears of war and the 4K looked perfect. I will warn those coming off plasma, the TV may feel overly bright and its going to take me some time to get used to. Thats all for now, I'll really get to dig into it this weekend while I'm off work.

I'm curious whether you feel like this was a worthwhile upgrade from the ST60. I currently have a 65ST50 that I really like and contemplating if this was the right time to move to a 65B6. I wanted to wait on the upgrade so I can move to a larger size as well, but it seems it'll be a couple more years until anything over 70" is under $5K. My only issue with the Panasonic ST50 is that it's hard to play a dark game during the day. I have a wall of windows and pull the curtains, but the image is still really washed out when playing a dark game during the day. My only reservation about OLED is how good the motion is compared to plasma, which is why I bought it over LCD in the first place.

Anyone else move from plasma to OLED? Was it a good move?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm curious whether you feel like this was a worthwhile upgrade from the ST60. I currently have a 65ST50 that I really like and contemplating if this was the right time to move to a 65B6. I wanted to wait on the upgrade so I can move to a larger size as well, but it seems it'll be a couple more years until anything over 70" is under $5K. My only issue with the Panasonic ST50 is that it's hard to play a dark game during the day. I have a wall of windows and pull the curtains, but the image is still really washed out when playing a dark game during the day. My only reservation about OLED is how good the motion is compared to plasma, which is why I bought it over LCD in the first place.

moved from Panasonic V Series Plasma to LG OLED E6.

Yes. Great move.

Yukstin

I moved from a V10 panny plasma to a LG C6 and I have zero regrets. The difference is night and day.

NOKYARD

I've been looking into new 4K HDR TVs, and I thought I had found the perfect one with the 49" KS8000 at $1,100, but I noticed it doesn't have any inputs for composite or component, and I play retro games pretty regularly. I saw that the LG E6 has a composite and component input, but it jumps in price to $2,800. Is there another 4K HDR set that has the high quality, low input lag, and lower price of the KS8000 but also has the composite and component inputs of the LG E6? Thanks in advance.
Have you looked into Composite/Component to HDMI converter/scaler?

b0bbyJ03

I can say 1000% yes. at least on my part. At first I was a little scared that I made a mistake. Out of the box i hated the picture. It took many hours of tweaking to find the balance that I liked. Matter of fact, I kind of missed my Panny the first day. But i can promise you that if you spend the time getting it right there is really no comparison. The B6 blows it out of the water.

I have the chance to get a 65" Samsung KS8000 (US) thru work for ~ $1400. Is there a reason to wait until next years models if I'm interested in 4K/HDR for movie watching?

I'm a PC gamer and won't have my PC connected to the TV until a 4K steamlink/Nvidia Shield streamer comes out. I have a GTX 1070 and my whole condo is hardwired CAT 6.

Brhoom

Banned
I have the chance to get a 65" Samsung KS8000 (US) thru work for ~ $1400. Is there a reason to wait until next years models if I'm interested in 4K/HDR for movie watching?

I'm a PC gamer and won't have my PC connected to the TV until a 4K steamlink/Nvidia Shield streamer comes out. I have a GTX 1070 and my whole condo is hardwired CAT 6.

If I wasn't waiting for OLED I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Drame

I had been thinking about upgrading my tv-set for quite some time. After the PS4 Pro reveal I decided that next summer would be the deadline for a new telly, but then I accidentally stumbled upon this deal.

Got the Samsung KS9000 (KS9500 seems to be the US model) 49" model for 1299€. 49 inches was the max my TV-stand could take so I didn't had that many choices to begin with for higher-end panels.

Really happy with the Samsung though. It gets really bright, I mean really bright. One time I almost had to close my eyes a little while watching some HDR footage. The 4k youtube looks better than expected and using the apps from the TV itself is really neat. Also, I haven't had a tv with this low input lag before and it's a real game changer. Regular 1080p content looks great but I'm really hungry for PS4 Pro and Scorpio. Only couple more weeks to go for the PS4 pro though! I'm ready.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thinking of picking up an LG around black friday. Is there any difference between the E6 and B6 besides the built in speaker?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Well, the design and the E6 has (passive) 3D.

Wasn't there some flap a month or two back about the response time being different or has that been fixed/debunked?

Also, BestBuy has them listed at higher than the suggested retail price on the LG site. That is odd.

It looks like the input lag in SDR mode has been improved on the B6, though seems to be still a bit higher than on the C6/E6/G6.
Not that it matters too much since it's all about HDR gaming in the near future.

I'm looking at the KS8000. Was there anything different performance wise with one of the panels of the 49, 55, 60, 65? I can't remember if it was this one or a Vizio that had a display in the middle size that wasn't as good.

FallenCow

Neo Member
Looks like MSRPs on all of the LG OLEDs have dropped significantly. Just pulled the trigger on a 65B6P and while my deal was below the new MSRP, I wonder if street pricing is going to drop accordingly or if sellers were already cutting it close on margins.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Looks like MSRPs on all of the LG OLEDs have dropped significantly. Just pulled the trigger on a 65B6P and while my deal was below the new MSRP, I wonder if street pricing is going to drop accordingly or if sellers were already cutting it close on margins.

With the drop that just happened, I wonder if they are going to drop any further for Black Friday.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Usually high end TVs like the OLEDs usually don't go on sale for Black Friday, but now this makes me wonder if that might change.

Go team wait!

Also, I'm wondering about details on that firmware update release. It was mentioned in passing here, but then nothing. Did it add the HDR Gaming mode, or is that still coming?

Whoa, Best Buy just discounted the KS8000 line-up even more this week. I think i'm going to pull the trigger on the 55" for $1199.

Top Bottom