• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Yeah, outside of the OLEDs LG TVs are mostly bad. Their "flagship" LED models are decent at best.

Yeah you'd have to really squint your eyes to reach "decent" lol.

This is maybe true for their LCD's but LG has been doing a great job with OLED. They've been listening to feedback and each year the lineup has been significantly improved. I'll be surprised if Sony gets everything right the first time.

Also Panasonic already released an OLED, the CZ950, and it certainly didn't blow away LG's offerings. It was worse in some respects, much higher input lag. ~74ms in Game mode...

It was certainly better though, but at a cost.

If by batter them out of the park you mean streeting at 2x or 3x the price of LG's.

They'll be more expensive, but I'd expect they will sell 1 or 2 high end models along side existing LCD offerings.

Poor LG, selling millions of OLED panels.

Agree with you though - OLED is a great tech crying out for a company with decent processing to apply to it.

I'm a big fan of Sony image processing and motionflow (increasing motion resolution without soap opera effect) so very curious what they come up with.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for input lag though - this years Sony TVs are pretty bad in that department.

LG must be loving the fact that after decades of selling shit TV's to people that don't care about pic quality, they've finally been able to get the attention of the discerning customer whom actually cares.

Yeah Sony dropped the ball for gamers this year, but we will see, I really hope LG finally get some decent competition, I was nearly at the point of buying an OLED but I couldn't bring myself to buy an LG lol, but if it wasn't for the full array set that was about the same price I would have.

Looking for a TV around $500 or less, just to replace the old dying 1080p 40 inch in our living room which is used only for netflix and the occasional PS4 game.

Size doesn't need to be any larger than 40 in, and it doesn't need to be 4K or have HDR. Most important criteria other than the price are low input lag (most important criteria) and decent viewing angles/color reproduction for watching movies. Also I'd like to purchase from Amazon since I've got some gift card money saved up.

The Samsung UN40KU6300 was looking very promising until I read about the judder issues with displaying 24p content.

Anyone here kind of enough to provide any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LeEco's TVs are now on Amazon

65" = $1399
55" = $899

Amazon

I wonder if this is actually better than their brother Vizio TVs or the same with a different name or what.

b0bbyJ03

LG must be loving the fact that after decades of selling shit TV's to people that don't care about pic quality, they've finally been able to get the attention of the discerning customer whom actually cares.

Yeah Sony dropped the ball for gamers this year, but we will see, I really hope LG finally get some decent competition, I was nearly at the point of buying an OLED but I couldn't bring myself to buy an LG lol, but if it wasn't for the full array set that was about the same price I would have.

I wouldn't let the brand name hold you back if that particular brand is currently stepping up. The king of picture quality has always changed throughout the years. Not that long ago it was Sony, then when LCD became popular it was Sharp for a bit, then Pioneer Elites with plasma, then Panasonic, (somewhere in the middle there Samsung went from complete garbage to great) and now we have LG with their OLEDs.

I wouldn't let the brand name hold you back if that particular brand is currently stepping up. The king of picture quality has always changed throughout the years. Not that long ago it was Sony, then when LCD became popular it was Sharp for a bit, then Pioneer Elites with plasma, then Panasonic, (somewhere in the middle there Samsung went from complete garbage to great) and now we have LG with their OLEDs.

Yeah it's true regarding Samsung, they were the same level as LG for many years, but they've definitely stepped up in the last 4-5 years. My last TV was a Samsung but it broke with 3 weeks left on its warranty, and I received a credit code to buy another TV in store, ended up choosing a Panasonic 902b fald, but it was close, not sure which way I would've gone if the lag firmware update had have come out 3 weeks ago, but luckily I'm really happy with it.

b0bbyJ03

Thought this was an interesting read that explains HDR very well:

http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html

It covers a subject that we've been discussing on this thread, which is HDR brightness.

HDR - THE REALITY & ASSOCIATED ISSUES

The biggest issue with HDR displays is they can actually be painful to watch, due to what is often termed as excessive eye fatigue...

The problem is the difference between the human eye's huge Dynamic Range, which has a dynamic contrast ratio of around 1,000,000:1, or about 24 stops. It is this dynamic adaptation that enables us to see detail in dark environments, as well as in bright sunlight.

However, at any single given time the human visual system is only capable of operating at a fraction of this huge range. It is this static dynamic range, which occurs when the human visual system is in a state of full adaptation, and it is this that is active when watching home TV and some theatrical presentations at 'normal' viewing distances. While there are few exact figures for the human eye's static dynamic range, many agree it is around 10,000:1, for average viewing environments, which is around 12 Stops.

Human Eye Dynamic Range

Human Eye Adaption
Additionally, the human visual systems adaptive response needs to be taken into consideration - the time it takes to adapt between dark scenes to bright scenes, and vice versa, with bright to dark transitions typically taking many minutes to adapt, while dark to bright adaptation is significantly quicker, but still often measured in many 10's of seconds, if not minutes.

This is easy to experience by looking out a windows from within a dark room, and panning your eyes from the window to within the room. The room detail slowly resolves itself as the eye adapts to the change in brightness.

Further, with the relatively small size of TVs, combined with the standard viewing distance - 3m or so - the whole TV screen is within the high-acuity, central angle of view of the human eye (5° to 15°), meaning the human visual system cannot respond independently to different areas of brightness - being stuck within a state of full adaptation, so the viewer is only able to use the static dynamic range of the human eye.

To actually gain benefit from the concept of HDR the actual viewing angle the display would need to occupy would be in the order of 45°, which with an average large TV of 55" would means sitting just 65" from the screen.
(See also the section on 'Resolution'.)

Viewing Distance

Do you really sit this close to your TV?

What all this really means is a display with an excessive HDR will potentially cause real eye fatigue at normal viewing distances, and will very likely be be painful to watch.

I thought this was also a great point

In the reality of the real world, an excessive HDR display would be one with a peak brightness over around 650 to 1000 nits.
(The darker the viewing environment the lower the peak value before eye fatigue occurs, which causes another issue for HDR - see 'Viewing Environment Considerations' below.)

The Ultra HD Alliance seems to be aware of this, and actually has two different specifications for today's HDR displays:

0.05 nits to ≥1000 nits
0.0005 nits to ≥540 nits
This dual specification exists as any display with a high peak luma will also have a higher black point, while displays with a lower black point will have far lower peak white values - LCD vs OLED, for example.

Theonik

Thought this was an interesting read that explains HDR very well:

http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html

It covers a subject that we've been discussing on this thread, which is HDR brightness.

I thought this was also a great point
The reason actually is that there is a lot more perceptible points of brightness on the lower end than on the high end in the human visual system. Though the adaptation is to accommodate for lower brightness displays. But one should also bear in mind that 0.005 nits is almost impossible if there is anything on the screen, since enough light bounces off the viewer and room to raise the black point considerably.

Not sure if I should make a thread for this or not so I thought I'd ask here seeing as how some of you may have come across this.

My mom's hearing sucks. She has a TV where she sleeps and turns the volume to max to listen to it while she falls asleep. Is there any type of simple speaker setup I could get where I could get a speaker closer to her ears so she doesn't have to blast the TV?

MazeHaze

Banned
Not sure if I should make a thread for this or not so I thought I'd ask here seeing as how some of you may have come across this.

My mom's hearing sucks. She has a TV where she sleeps and turns the volume to max to listen to it while she falls asleep. Is there any type of simple speaker setup I could get where I could get a speaker closer to her ears so she doesn't have to blast the TV?

If you're buying any 2016 smart tv, they have bluetooth support. You can just connect a small bluetooth speaker to it and she can put it where she pleases, even easily move it around when she shifts position.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

there's a lot of solutions out there for this if you google. Some require you to route audio into a box which will then send the audio to a nearby speaker etc.

Best Buy used to sell things like this a decade ago, not sure if they do now.

Should be easily findable though, depending on the type of connection and TV. I'd guess really easy if from a cable box. Maybe trickier if the cable is going directly into the TV and the TV doesn't have any audio outs.

there's a lot of solutions out there for this if you google. Some require you to route audio into a box which will then send the audio to a nearby speaker etc.

Best Buy used to sell things like this a decade ago, not sure if they do now.

Should be easily findable though, depending on the type of connection and TV. I'd guess really easy if from a cable box. Maybe trickier if the cable is going directly into the TV and the TV doesn't have any audio outs.

If you're buying any 2016 smart tv, they have bluetooth support. You can just connect a small bluetooth speaker to it and she can put it where she pleases, even easily move it around when she shifts position.

Older TV, maybe 5-7 years. LCD Sony. I did a little googling and was coming up blank which turned me to here. I remember some infomercial device from years ago that would fit the bill. There is a cable box in the setup.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Older TV, maybe 5-7 years. LCD Sony. I did a little googling and was coming up blank which turned me to here. I remember some infomercial device from years ago that would fit the bill. There is a cable box in the setup.

a quick google, there's probably more out there:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/serene-...fier/5014232.p?id=1219106279179&skuId=5014232

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LJLO31Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.everydayhearing.com/hear...-to-watching-tv-and-movies-with-hearing-loss/

Rumours flying that Sony will be unveiling their OLED TV at CES in January.

I'm pretty hyped to see what they'll be doing with it in terms of processing.

Looks like Sony or Panasonic OLED for me for my next TV, hopefully they're gonna be sweet sets.

Don't rate LG as i've always had issues with their sets unfortunately.

Kyoufu

Looks like Sony or Panasonic OLED for me for my next TV, hopefully they're gonna be sweet sets.

Don't rate LG as i've always had issues with their sets unfortunately.

Chance are LG will still have the best OLED sets on the planet come 2017, so don't rule them out.

Looking forward to seeing what Sony does with LG's panels but I wouldn't be shocked if LG still rule the roost.

Weevilone

Chance are LG will still have the best OLED sets on the planet come 2017, so don't rule them out.

Looking forward to seeing what Sony does with LG's panels but I wouldn't shocked if LG still rule the roost.

Yeah I think it's unlikely that Sony will just pop on the scene and hit it out of the park immediately. If so, great. The LG I just bought will replace my family room Sony LCD of a couple years back (pre HDR 4k). I was planning a ZD9 (ish) model to replace my main home theater display, but I'll be happy to grab a Sony OLED there too if it works out.

The Beard

Looking forward to seeing what Sony does with LG's panels but I wouldn't be shocked if LG still rule the roost.

How could Sony possibly put out a worse TV than LG when both would be using the same LG panels? Sony's image processing software is much better than anything LG has come up with. The panels themselves are the true star of the show, they can only get better with Sony's or Samsung's help.

The only thing that might be worse is the Smart TV Apps/features.

Kyoufu

How could Sony possibly put out a worse TV than LG when both would be using the same LG panels? Sony's image processing software is much better than anything LG has come up with. The panels themselves are the true star of the show, they can only get better with Sony's or Samsung's help.

The only thing that might be worse is the Smart TV Apps/features.

Smart OS - LG will probably win this category by default due to WebOS superiority
Input lag - which LG has improved with each release
Price - I don't think I want to imagine how much Sony will charge for an OLED TV

Just some things to consider. We'll find out what both companies will offer in a month, but I think Sony putting out an inferior OLED TV on their first try is a possibility.

Rbk_3

My LG E6 was the easiest TV I have ever calibrated. The ISF mode is a godsend. It is not difficult to calibrate and most reviews even say the out of the box settings in the ISF Birght Room are pretty acceptable for out of the box performance and I would agree, it's better than that Samsung Vivid mode horseshit they have out of the box, and that is coming from someone who owned Samsungs first ever LED flagship from 2009 and the flagship ES8000 from 2012 and just switched over to OLED this summer.

And it's been beaten to death already but image retention is not an issue, it's pure fucking bullshit pulled from the relics of TV models from 2013 at most, it is not a long term issue or should even be mentioned as an issue when considering an OLED.

The KS8000 is pretty damn out of the box in movie mode at Warm 2. Rtings even said " Very low dE for out of the box which is excellent. Some TVs can't even get at that level after calibration."

ks8000-pre-white-balance-small.jpg

ks8000-pre-gamma-small.jpg

ks8000-pre-colorspace-small.jpg

There's every possibility, yes.

The murnours about the "prototype" Panasonic OLED that was on show a couple of months,or so, ago were really positive so that could be an option if the Sony set is shit, but like Sony it will probably have a high price tag.

I'm in no denial that the LG sets are good, I just seem to have shitty luck when it comes to buying anything LG. It always breaks just after the warranty period ends, or, within the 1st month of use. (Phones and TV'a alike) :/

Either way whatever set I go for will be a nice upgrade from a Sony W805 to my first 4K set. All that being said, I've never had a TV calibrated before so who knows if I'd notice any difference!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Dammit, I think I goofed.

So house was robbed last night. Stole my 55inch 1080p Hitachi and my PS4 among other things. Fuckers. I have renters insurance thankfully. Impulse bought this 60inch 4K Ultra HD Vizio E-Series for $700.00 and a PS4 Pro. Feeling like a dumb ass right about now since I'm seeing this isn't that great of a tv for gaming. Should I just return it? Is there a better option that has HDR? I'm not trying to spend more than 700.00 though, so if there isn't really a better option around this price point then I'm thinking I'll just hold on to it. Appreciate any advice :)

MazeHaze

Banned

So house was robbed last night. Stole my 55inch 1080p Hitachi and my PS4 among other things. Fuckers. I have renters insurance thankfully. Impulse bought this 60inch 4K Ultra HD Vizio E-Series for $700.00 and a PS4 Pro. Feeling like a dumb ass right about now since I'm seeing this isn't that great of a tv for gaming. Should I just return it? Is there a better option that has HDR? I'm not trying to spend more than 700.00 though, so if there isn't really a better option around this price point then I'm thinking I'll just hold on to it. Appreciate any advice :)

Sorry to hear that, good on you for having insurance! If anyone reading this doesn't, stop what youre doing and sign up. It's less than 15 bucks a month usually.

If you can't budge on the 700, I'd say keep it, but remember that for a couple hundred more, if you saved up a couple weeks, you could get a top tier set, as opposed to what you have now, which is mid-low range with no HDR support.

Heck, maybe even return it and finance an oled or ks8000 and put the 700 down on it, best buy and amazon both offer 2 year zero interest financing.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sorry to hear that, good on you for having insurance! If anyone reading this doesn't, stop what youre doing and sign up. It's less than 15 bucks a month usually.

If you can't budge on the 700, I'd say keep it, but remember that for a couple hundred more, if you saved up a couple weeks, you could get a top tier set, as opposed to what you have now, which is mid-low range with no HDR support.

Heck, maybe even return it and finance an oled or ks8000 and put the 700 down on it, best buy and amazon both offer 2 year zero interest financing.

Thanks man I'll definitely consider doing that. It's tough to hear this tv is in the mid to low tier range for 700! I have a 32inch spectre I can use in the meantime if I decide to start saving up a bit.

And yeah renters insurance has saved my ass twice in the last 10 years. It's an absolute must have if you're renting.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble

Sorry about the robbery, but I'm happy to hear you had the proper insurance to cover it. I myself had my home robbed a number of years back and had about 10 grand in games, consoles, and various electronics stolen. I had insurance, but since I didn't have the proper "sub-option 27-B" selected on my plan the insurance company said that my plan only covered damage to the dwelling but did not cover a dime of the stolen property. In the end they covered a grand total of nothing because the burglars entered through a screen on a small window at the back of the house. I can live with losing all that stuff, but I'd give anything to just get the saves back. Systems and games are replaceable, but decades worth of game saves can't be replaced. So yeah, glad to hear that not everyone gets screwed by unscrupulous insurance companies.

MazeHaze

Banned
Sorry about the robbery, but I'm happy to hear you had the proper insurance to cover it. I myself had my home robbed a number of years back and had about 10 grand in games, consoles, and various electronics stolen. I had insurance, but since I didn't have the proper "sub-option 27-B" selected on my plan the insurance company said that my plan only covered damage to the dwelling but did not cover a dime of the stolen property. In the end they covered a grand total of nothing because the burglars entered through a screen on a small window at the back of the house. I can live with losing all that stuff, but I'd give anything to just get the saves back. Systems and games are replaceable, but decades worth of game saves can't be replaced. So yeah, glad to hear that not everyone gets screwed by unscrupulous insurance companies.
Damn that sucks man

Always make sure you know what your plan covers.

And always pay the extra 5 bucks a month for the "cost to replace" rather than the "value of items". If you have the latter, they can fuck you, i.e, the trade in value for a ps4 is 120 dollars so that's what we'll give you, if you have the former they will give you the 300 for the cost of replacement.

Keep in mind both plans likely have a 1000 deductible, so if it's just a ps4 youre SOL, but if they grab all your shit, it's a life saver.

mitchman

Gold Member

My grandmother has similar issues. We routed the sound thru an external box that sends it wirelessly directly into her hearing aid. This is very common if she has a hearing aid. If she doesn't, perhaps she should get that? Those new digital hearing aids are great and a big improvement to the life of hearing disabled people.

b0bbyJ03

So according to LG support, and many other users I've come across on the internet, LG will be releasing the HDR game mode patch for the B6. If anyone comes across it please post. Thanks.

Kyoufu

So according to LG support, and many other users I've come across on the internet, LG will be releasing the HDR game mode patch for the B6. If anyone comes across it please post. Thanks.

Supposed to be today isn't it? If they don't run into any issues.

b0bbyJ03

Supposed to be today isn't it? If they don't run into any issues.

yes. Can't believe I forgot that very important detail. lol. Well, the fact that you already heard the same as me is encouraging. Hopefully it is today. I'd like to play TLG in HDR game mode.

Kyoufu

yes. Can't believe I forgot that very important detail. lol. Well, the fact that you already heard the same as me is encouraging. Hopefully it is today. I'd like to play TLG in HDR game mode.

Maybe I got it from you, but here's hoping B6 owners get it today!

I'm patiently waiting for the Euro models to get the update. Hopefully soon.

f@luS

More than a member.
Need both hdr game and hdcp fix for euro model. 3 times I start last guardian and I got the crash
(65c6v)

So I returned the LG 43UH6030 last night and picked up the 43" x800d. What a night and day difference between the two sets. Titanfall 2 absolutely blew my mind when I got the settings down for it.

I did see though that the Samsung ku6500 55" curved tv was on sale for 699 though and that was very tempting as well...how does that TV stack up against the x800d or really any other 4k TV in that price range?

III-V

Ok, that makes more sense. Still not sure how accurate the average smartphone camera is.

Neither am I. I can only relate my own experience with the app/phone, in which the app was able to replicate identically (by eye at least) the result of the blue filter of the WoW disc.

b0bbyJ03

Has anyone with an LG OLED tried comparing the quality of the built in Netflix output vs the PS4 Pro's. Someone on the AVS forum posted a comparison of a few Netflix shots that compared using the scaler from his PC vs the built in Netflix and the PC one was far superior.

ukas

Has anyone with an LG OLED tried comparing the quality of the built in Netflix output vs the PS4 Pro's. Someone on the AVS forum posted a comparison of a few Netflix shots that compared using the scaler from his PC vs the built in Netflix and the PC one was far superior.

Personally, I use the LG app because it supports DV, but I haven't compared the quality differences. There isn't a huge difference otherwise it would be noticeable.

Belker

Does the TV have a headphone jack or red/white audio ports? You could get small bluetooth speaker and a bluetooth transmitter/receiver.

Top Bottom