• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Hey i'm currently on a hunt for a new monitor between 24" 27" with a resolution 2560 x 1440 and TV tuner with built in freeview, because i want it to function as a Monitor and TV, what could you recommend me?

Nothing, really, as those things don't exist and TV boxes for monitors died out some time ago.

You'll likely only get 1440p by going 27" and the easiest way to get DVB2 will be via a separate box.

Edit: Or do you mean separate recommendations for both a monitor and tuner? I don't think the tuner will matter much in that case as long unless you want record ability or other extras.

Weevilone

It's gonna be crazy expensive. lol

Also I don't really know why people are talking shit about LG TVs. They currently make the best TVs with the best smart TV software on the planet.

Really happy with my E6 but just got it for my gaming setup. Will gladly consider Sony when I replace my home theater display, long overdue.

x3sphere

I've said it once, I'll say it again, LG are a bad TV manufacturer with an excellent TV technology, Sony, Panasonic, possibly Samsung will batter LG out of the park.

This is maybe true for their LCD's but LG has been doing a great job with OLED. They've been listening to feedback and each year the lineup has been significantly improved. I'll be surprised if Sony gets everything right the first time.

Also Panasonic already released an OLED, the CZ950, and it certainly didn't blow away LG's offerings. It was worse in some respects, much higher input lag. ~74ms in Game mode...

KillGore

Prices for the OLEDs have gone up on Best Buy. Didn't think it would go up to $2,300 for the 55 again. Maybe I should've bit the bullet when it was at $1,799. When do TV prices go down again? February?

III-V

Prices for the OLEDs have gone up on Best Buy. Didn't think it would go up to $2,300 for the 55 again. Maybe I should've bit the bullet when it was at $1,799. When do TV prices go down again? February?

By May these models will be clearance type.

NYR

This is maybe true for their LCD's but LG has been doing a great job with OLED. They've been listening to feedback and each year the lineup has been significantly improved. I'll be surprised if Sony gets everything right the first time.

Also Panasonic already released an OLED, the CZ950, and it certainly didn't blow away LG's offerings. It was worse in some respects, much higher input lag. ~74ms in Game mode...
Yep. LG are kings at OLED, they are the best TVs on the market.

KaoticBlaze

Damn good thing I bought my 55 yesterday. Im sure they'll drop again right after CES

Yaari

Yeah, not sure what he ment by that.

I like WebOS3.0 a lot too, with the HDR Game Mode, it will also do anything I'd expect from it in gaming. If anything, I don't know what more I'd need to get out of it.

Perhaps I'd regret not sitting it out if the Game Mode patch didn't happen and Sony made a great OLED next year, but I honestly dont know what more I could want out of it.

III-V

What do you mean? o_O

As in:

1.) low picture/$ ratio
2.) issues with long term calibration
3.) severe issue with burn-in

But no doubt it is the best PQ money can buy, I won't argue against that. We just need a few more years to iron out some of this.

Edit: did not mean to step on anyone's toes with this, I see I have been overzealous with 'severe'. I am open to honest discussion about Pro and cons of this set and others, I don't have a dog in the game, if you will. I recently purchased a X800D, and I am happy to discuss the pros and cons of this set and display tech as well.

III-V

"Severe issues with burn in" were your exact words though. A bit of hyperbole, for sure.

My apologies, let's say in comparison to some competing technologies, the OLED fairs worse in terms of image retention, and most sets contain various mechanisms that will flash/dim change the display when a static image is detected for greater than a predetermined period, making calibration difficult or impossible without defeat mechanisms, and defeating these mechanisms may result in severe image retention, although maybe not as bad as plasmas 15 years ago.

The Beard

Rumours flying that Sony will be unveiling their OLED TV at CES in January.

I'm pretty hyped to see what they'll be doing with it in terms of processing.

If true, it would most certainly be an OLED panel made by LG with Sony's software, image processing, and with their name on the front of it (and higher price tag).

Sony manufacturing their own 50"- 80" OLED panels would've definitely made the news by now, if that were the case.

without returning your hostility, yes image retention is an issue.

You said they have severe issues with "burn-in". Burn in and Image Retention are 2 different things. "Burn in" means the image is permanently burned into your panel. Most Image Retention goes away after a couple minutes, or less.

III-V

I have a 1000 hours on my E6 between tv and gaming and not even a hint of rentention. Maybe if you play a game for a bit and throw up a gray background you can go searching for it.

Right, as long as your playing the game, watching regular shows whatever, it never manifests, same as any image retention ever.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My apologies, let's say in comparison to some competing technologies, the OLED fairs worse in terms of image retention, and most sets contain various mechanisms that will flash/dim change the display when a static image is detected for greater than a predetermined period, making calibration difficult or impossible without defeat mechanisms, and defeating these mechanisms may result in severe image retention, although maybe not as bad as plasmas 15 years ago.

many calibrators have solved and dealt with the dimming issue.

The TV can be calibrated. The picture is the best out there. The set has image retention but nothing permanent.

So much FUD.

If your complaint is that it's expensive, ok, yeah. But it is the best, the your other issues are more annoyances rather than challenges.

Price is basically the only thing that holds people back on them

III-V

many calibrators have solved and dealt with the dimming issue.

The TV can be calibrated. The picture is the best out there. The set has image retention but nothing permanent.

So much FUD.

If your complaint is that it's expensive, ok, yeah. But it is the best, the your other issues are more annoyances rather than challenges.

Price is basically the only thing that holds people back on them

Feel free to read what I wrote as you have repeated almost word for word my sentiments.

The best picture money can buy.

Impossible/difficult to calibrate without defeat mechanisms.

Low PQ/$ ratio.

Suffers from image retention at a greater rate than competing technologies.

All true.

vivftp

Well, these renewed rumors of a Sony OLED TV have me interested. With PS4 Pro out now, I'm very interested in picking up a new TV set sometime next year. I am curious how a Sony consumer OLED would compare against the Z9 series TVs. Well, if they truly are being unveiled at CES at least we don't have long to wait

Afrikan

As in:

1.) low picture/$ ratio
2.) issues with long term calibration
3.) severe issue with burn-in

But no doubt it is the best PQ money can buy, I won't argue against that. We just need a few more years to iron out some of this.

severe burn in? severe?

You know this from experience?

All true.

oh ok...it's one of those types of conversations.

Feel free to read what I wrote as you have repeated almost word for word my sentiments.

Low PQ/$ ratio.

All true.

Dude, stop with the FUD.

-Best picture - YES
-Impossible to calibrate - Absolutely not, easiest TV I've had to calibrate.
-Low PQ/$ radio - That's the case for all high end electronics, if you want best value/$, you're looking at budget offerings.
-Suffers from IR more than others - Yes, a very small amount of IR vs no IR does mean it "suffers more", however barely having any issue with it (I still haven't seen any after a combined 10,000 hours across 2 OLED TV's) is barely an "issue".

NYR

My LG E6 was the easiest TV I have ever calibrated. The ISF mode is a godsend. It is not difficult to calibrate and most reviews even say the out of the box settings in the ISF Birght Room are pretty acceptable for out of the box performance and I would agree, it's better than that Samsung Vivid mode horseshit they have out of the box, and that is coming from someone who owned Samsungs first ever LED flagship from 2009 and the flagship ES8000 from 2012 and just switched over to OLED this summer.

And it's been beaten to death already but image retention is not an issue, it's pure fucking bullshit pulled from the relics of TV models from 2013 at most, it is not a long term issue or should even be mentioned as an issue when considering an OLED.

Low PQ/$ ratio.

All true.
That's an entirely fair statement but it's not what you said.

Your original comments about "severe issue with burn-in" (your words) were absolutely incorrect and hyperbolic. We need to make the distinction between burn-in which carries an extremely negative connotation due to a level of permanent damage to the screen and temporary image retention. These two phrases are not interchangeable (or at least they shouldn't be) and yes, it increases the FUD factor surrounding these sets. It is extremely difficult to permanently burn-in an image on these sets.

Can you guys stop trying to prove someone wrong on the internet and move on please.

I'm very interested to see what CES brings to the table. Apparently Panasonic will be going for an even higher end of market than LG.

It's the best picture that money can buy, but not much more than that.

...what the fuck does this even mean.

"The Playstation 4 Pro is the best game console that money can buy, but not much more than that."

"The Bugatti Veyron is the fastest car that money can buy, but not much more than that."

III-V

I am sorry to see people up in arms about some discussion on a TV.

As I said before, this is the best consumer PQ money can buy.

They have an unbeatable contrast ratio.

They are also the most expensive 55" on the planet. Its difficult to argue 'high value', which is what i said a low PQ/$ ratio. I don't recommend car buyers look for high value in Lamborghini either.

They have a low peak brightness for HDR content, an issue in a well lit room.

All OLED suffer from flutter and wow in their drive mechanism, they have a current controlled output which is typically less desirable in an electronic device due to increased power consumption, ease of implementation, and accelerated decay mechanisms, etc.

http://www.osram-oled.com/oled/en/news-and-knowledge/application-notes/driving-of-oleds/index.jsp

http://www.tytlabs.com/english/review/rev382epdf/e382_055ishii.pdf

Image retention is such an issue that most sets have auto-dimmers some that cannot be disabled, even for calibration. Spectral has developed special workflows that defeat the mechanism by introducing a full field window at a specified timing interval to avoid the dimming. I used burn-in and image retention interchangeably, because it is the same mechanism, but I stopped using the term burn-in b/c many are associating it with the permanent display destroying image retention of yesteryear and this is not a characteristic of these sets.

Due to the decay mechanism, wow and flutter seen in the output luminance at a static EOTF level, etc, it is easy to see how a calibration does not in fact hold up over time, and people concerned with keeping a calibrated set should expect a higher frequency of calibration.

So I am not trying to deter anyone from purchasing OLED, but consumers should be aware of potential issues when considering this display technology.

On a somewhat related note, to those a bit savvy and interested in calibrating HDR10 on their 2016 LG OLED with their colorimeters:

http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/UHDA Calibration Procedure.pdf

They have done some great work in software access to calibrate HDR with some of these features. This is literally impossible to do on my X800D, as it retains almost all settings between SDR and HDR mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've said it once, I'll say it again, LG are a bad TV manufacturer with an excellent TV technology, Sony, Panasonic, possibly Samsung will batter LG out of the park.

Poor LG, selling millions of OLED panels.

Agree with you though - OLED is a great tech crying out for a company with decent processing to apply to it.

I'm a big fan of Sony image processing and motionflow (increasing motion resolution without soap opera effect) so very curious what they come up with.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for input lag though - this years Sony TVs are pretty bad in that department.

Weevilone

Poor LG, selling millions of OLED panels.

Agree with you though - OLED is a great tech crying out for a company with decent processing to apply to it.

I'm a big fan of Sony image processing and motionflow (increasing motion resolution without soap opera effect) so very curious what they come up with.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for input lag though - this years Sony TVs are pretty bad in that department.

Weird how Sony had the lag issue mailed, which couldn't have been an accident. Then they went completely in the other direction.

holygeesus

Banned
What I posted was to show the method of emitting light and the underlying decay mechanism, I am not saying the TV has a few hundred hours half-life, as was state of the art at the time.

Well the point is OLED sets have a longer lifespan than LCD sets, if you consider the backlight will likely go on an LCD set (which also deteriorates) before the fixed life-span of an OLED panel, so the decay mechanism isn't really relevant. No television will last forever.

III-V

Well the point is OLED sets have a longer lifespan than LCD sets, if you consider the backlight will likely go on an LCD set (which also deteriorates) before the fixed life-span of an OLED panel, so the decay mechanism isn't really relevant. No television will last forever.

As a discussion point that we can say is my personal opinion, as I do not have a reference available, this may become an issue. In the article you linked, they do admit that the OLED has a higher power consumption at higher luminance levels. This makes sense, as it is a current controlled device, and power consumption becomes an issue. Higher currents also result in more rapid decay. HDR requires higher luminance levels up to ~5X in this display during specular content than SDR content.

I am plus imagine that the lifetime figures are given for nominal TV watching at SDR luminance levels.

Top Bottom