• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games: "Would have to see demand" for MG:Revengeance Wii U port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuterald

I personally couldn't care less about a port of this game. I mean, don't get me wrong, MGR is one of my most wanted games, but I don't think it's really necessary for a Wii U port. I know people are going to take this the wrong way, but if you're into video games, how can you not own a PS3/XBOX 360 (or at least be interested in one) at this point? Are there really enough Nintendo-only people out there that HAVE to play this game and can't afford or care to own another platform? It just seems ridiculous to me, especially if you're an avid game posting on a video game forum.

With that said, I'd much rather take/get a perfect port/update of the original Bayonetta on Wii U. That game received the shit end of the stick on PS3 and you can only seriously play it on Microsoft's machine, which is a system I personally don't care for anymore. At least MGR is receiving an equal footing on the platforms it's releasing on. Bayonetta Wii U would be the perfect pre-Bayonetta 2 release to stir up excitement again too. It could also bring in more of those Nintendo-only people who haven't experienced the game before so that they're ready for the next game. Makes perfect sense to me and should be a priority for Platinum/Nintendo, but I guess we won't see it happen. =/

I personally couldn't care less about a port of this game. I mean, don't get me wrong, MGR is one of my most wanted games, but I don't think it's really necessary for a Wii U port. I know people are going to take this the wrong way, but if you're into video games, how can you not own a PS3/XBOX 360 (or at least be interested in one) at this point? Are there really enough Nintendo-only people out there that HAVE to play this game and can't afford or care to own another platform? It just seems ridiculous to me, especially if you're an avid game posting on a video game forum.

Err...I just spent 300 on a new console...why would I spend another 200+ on a 360 or PS3?
Also I'm not interested in one, because I don't really care for thier first party efforts. Uncharted isn't as exciting or as good as I was hoping it would be. God of War is decent, but not a console seller, and then 360's first party is laughable.
If there was a PC port but not a Wii U port, I'd go for PC.

farnham

Banned

With that said, I'd much rather take/get a perfect port/update of the original Bayonetta on Wii U. That game received the shit end of the stick on PS3 and you can only seriously play it on Microsoft's machine, which is a system I personally don't care for anymore. At least MGR is receiving an equal footing on the platforms it's releasing on. Bayonetta Wii U would be the perfect pre-Bayonetta 2 release to stir up excitement again too. It could also bring in more of those Nintendo-only people who haven't experienced the game before so that they're ready for the next game. Makes perfect sense to me and should be a priority for Platinum/Nintendo, but I guess we won't see it happen. =/
Different tastes and Different focus on money spending. I have all three consoles but looking at my backlog i could have lived fine with wii only.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Pretty much this beyond severe financial hardships as a barrier to entry since owning all consoles is not for those not investing in the hobby big time (but the adult way of doing it). But then of course this audience will have also rushed out to purchase the WiiU at maximum price, with no clear release date on main titles, and before what looks to be an inevitably large price drop early on. So I think the conclusion to take from it all is that most gamers are not very wise with spending their own money. Pachter was also fairly correct about the very noisy minority that is the most hardcore Nintendo fans and companies should be wary of that whenever they ask this sort of question aloud.

Bayonetta 2 hype is an interesting one, especially from non-360/PS3 owners. They recognise it as a game they absolutely really want to play and big up, and yet never owned it themselves. Console loyalty is a weird ol' drug. I'm reminded of the Okami Wii fervour: the strange subset of people that somehow skipped the PS2.

Yuterald

Pretty much this beyond severe financial hardships as a barrier to entry since owning all consoles is not for those not investing in the hobby big time (but the adult way of doing it). But then of course this audience will have also rushed out to purchase the WiiU at maximum price, with no clear release date on main titles, and before what looks to be an inevitably large price drop early on. So I think the conclusion to take from it all is that most gamers are not very wise with spending their own money. Pachter was also fairly correct about the very noisy minority that is the most hardcore Nintendo fans and companies should be wary of that whenever they ask this sort of question aloud.

Bayonetta 2 hype is an interesting one, especially from non-360/PS3 owners. They recognise it as a game they absolutely really want to play and big up, and yet never owned it themselves. Console loyalty is a weird ol' drug.

Yes, exactly. I'll never understand this console war/loyalty shit. It's so incredibly childish. If there's a game you want to play on a system/platform then just save up and wait until you can pursue such an investment. I find it somewhat strange that there's people out there who are foaming at their mouths to play Bayonetta 2/MGR, yet they couldn't care less to play Platinum's other, previous efforts (Vanquish, the original Bayonetta) because they're not on a Nintendo system.

Not that I'm trying to call out anyone here on this thread, but these kinds of people are certainly out there. If you're an avid gamer, you follow the games, not the platform. OF COURSE you can have a preference, but to not play something because it's on a platform/system that is out of your reach, whether that's because of a financial burden or whatever, then you're really not doing yourself any favors. I personally do not not enjoy playing games on the PC, but when Ys Origin was announced I downloaded that shit immediately on Steam and played through it, because, you know, I'm an Ys/Falcom fan. Simple as that.

farnham

Banned
Yes, exactly. I'll never understand this console war/loyalty shit. It's so incredibly childish. If there's a game you want to play on a system/platform then just save up and wait until you can pursue such an investment. I find it somewhat strange that there's people out there who are foaming at their mouths to play Bayonetta 2/MGR, yet they couldn't care less to play Platinum's other, previous efforts (Vanquish, the original Bayonetta) because they're not on a Nintendo system.

Not that I'm trying to call out anyone here on this thread, but these kinds of people are certainly out there. If you're an avid gamer, you follow the games, not the platform. OF COURSE you can have a preference, but to not play something because it's on a platform/system that is out of your reach, whether that's because of a financial burden or whatever, then you're really not doing yourself any favors. I personally do not not enjoy playing games on the PC, but when Ys Origin was announced I downloaded that shit immediately on Steam and played through it, because, you know, I'm an Ys/Falcom fan. Simple as that.
I own every platinum game except anarchy reigns(which i will purchase soon as its dirt cheap) on wii, ds, 360.
I cant understand nintendo funding bayonetta 2 though and i think its a big mistake financially.
I will probably get bayonetta 2 and also mgsr though.. I would love to see a wiiu versin because of offtv play and possible wiimotion plus integration

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
and possible wiimotion plus integration

People keep mentioning this as if Revengeance isn't already on platforms with motion control solutions. Its not a priority for development on them, it wouldnt be on WiiU where they'd have to be developing GamePad gimmicks or just getting OTP working. Secondary to that, in the thick of ingame combat you frequently use Triangle/Square in blade mode for standard horizontal and vertical slashes for speed over precision offered by analog aiming of one particular slice or two. The Wii remote on WiiU is destined for multiplayer support, little else other than initially Wii-bound Pikmin 3.

Its not happening anyway, and as per half of this thread, even if it did release down the track WiiU owners would expect to repay the investment of porting and GamePad tailoring with a budget release on a small install base system that predominantly seems to be filled with people that can pack one hell of a longstanding grudge. I wonder where developers get their notions about Nintendo fans only buying Nintendo from!

farnham

Banned
People keep mentioning this as if Revengeance isn't already on platforms with motion control solutions. Its not a priority for development on them, it wouldnt be on WiiU where they'd have to be developing GamePad gimmicks or just getting OTP working. Secondary to that, in the thick of ingame combat you frequently use Triangle/Square in blade mode for standard horizontal and vertical slashes for speed over precision offered by analog aiming of one particular slice or two. The Wii remote on WiiU is destined for multiplayer support, little else other than initially Wii-bound Pikmin 3.

Its not happening anyway, and as per half of this thread, even if it did release down the track WiiU owners would expect to repay the investment of porting and GamePad tailoring with a budget release on a small install base system that predominantly seems to be filled with people that can pack one hell of a longstanding grudge. I wonder where developers get their notions about Nintendo fans only buying Nintendo from!

We are talking about a scenario where we dont even have a port (for all we know). So i only did fantasizing. I dont get why this is a point of critique as i was only saying that i would like to see that(also compared to move or kinect the wiimote is more widespread among wiiu users). I would be pretty fine with offtv support only. Also i asked this already but is wiiu going to stay a system with an installbase of 4million in the next few years? If yes, you are totally right. Its not worth it. But for the offchance that its going to sell a tad bit more in the future it might be a good thing to create brand awareness on other segments of the market. Its not like there is no chance in hell that wiiu will have grown itself a decent userbase in the next few years.

Pie and Beans

Konami franchises and games seem to enjoy quite a strong link with Europe. The WiiU... not so much.

deim0s

Would rather have Bayonetta to go along with 2. I'm considering getting a PS3, but the port for that was a bit of a botch job wasn't it. Don't fancy getting a 360 just for one game.

If you're that keen on playing Bayonetta and purchasing a console for it - buy the machine with the most games you wanted to play on. The PS3 port ain't THAT bad, if you haven't seen or played the 360 version.

Frodo

vanquish 2 pls

This. Please!

Already can play Revengeance on the PS3, and honestly, I'm tired of late ports. Either release the game at the same time with the other platforms or don't waist your time trying to convince us to buy a game we already played everywhere else, which will inevitably lead to the "people that buy Nintendo consoles only play Nintendo games" kinda thing when the game doesn't sell the ludicrous expectations the developers had.

Or... since dreaming is free, bring in The Phantom Pain, Konami. I'll buy it at a high price.

justjohn

As someone who never bought a PS3 or 360, owns a Wii U and is a big fan of both Metal Gear and Platinum, I don't even want it anyway

Apparently I'm the only one inhabiting this corner of the universe
Got linked to this post from twitter

lucius

So pretty much never, even if it reviews well and sells good by the time they would get around to a port not many would care. Of course if it turns out to be some kind of classic maybe a couple years from now some smaller team they could hire to port it, highly unlikely though.

TheRancor

PC please

A quick search reveals this http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-up-and-running-on-the-pc/

A_HREN2CAAAg1vW.jpg

farnham

Banned
So pretty much never, even if it reviews well and sells good by the time they would get around to a port not many would care. Of course if it turns out to be some kind of classic maybe a couple years from now some smaller team they could hire to port it, highly unlikely though.

There is a chance that the trike miiverse hack last november actually was true.

All speculation of course but wouldnt it constitute an IP infringement if you namedrop other companies Trademark IP without consent?

Also a few of those came true (yoshi and resident evil)

Meelow

Banned
There is a chance that the trike miiverse hack last november actually was true.

All speculation of course but wouldnt it constitute an IP infringement if you namedrop other companies Trademark IP without consent?

Also a few of those came true (yoshi and resident evil)

I agree, it would be weird that Metal Gear Solid was listed if it wasn't coming to Wii U.

seady

Here's what we will see:

1. Petition of the ports
2. Petition success & they start development and take 1 year
3. Release in 2014. Everyone moves on already and no one give a damn anymore.
4. Poor sale.
5. No one make games for Wii U. Say 3rd party can't sell on Nintendo system.

It will end up being a port of MGS HD Collection.
HD Collection didn't do too hot sales wise, it's doubtful. Plus the console one had different devs involved (Bluepoint for 2-3, Genki for PW), seems like way too much trouble.

If Metal Gear comes to Wii U, it'll be a late Rising port, a V port or (most likely) the MSX games on Virtual Console.

HD Collection didn't do too hot sales wise, it's doubtful. Plus the console one had different devs involved (Bluepoint for 2-3, Genki for PW), seems like way too much trouble.

If Metal Gear comes to Wii U, it'll be a late Rising port, a V port or (most likely) the MSX games on Virtual Console.

Meta Gear Solid Game Boy VC port

This whole "not enough demand" bullshit is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course there will be flops, but that's the inherent risk if you intend to grow your market and customer base. "If you build it they will come."

Here's what we will see:

1. Petition of the ports
2. Petition success & they start development and take 1 year
3. Release in 2014. Everyone moves on already and no one give a damn anymore.
4. Poor sale.
5. No one make games for Wii U. Say 3rd party can't sell on Nintendo system.

exactly. And half-assing it like EA's launch output doesn't count either.

If David Cox' surprisingly strong wording regarding an LOS2 Wii U port is any indication ("no chance" as opposed to "no plans at this time" or the like), I would not expect any Wii U support from Konami beyond casual/family titles and PES. At all, ever, and possibly not even that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Because they're a publisher seeking high quality video games in order to satisfy their customers, and not spiteful childish cunts who don't know the difference between a developer making a game and a publisher who not only funds it, but controls all the licensing.

This needs to be in the Bayo2/101 OTs

I think if the game not selling well Konami will release it to PC & Wii U to cover there loses money.

I'm not sure that's how it works.....

If a game isn't selling I'm not sure the solution is to put more units/SKUs out there

This. At this point we're looking at a 6 month late port at minimum and by that time TW101 will be out. Who knows how far along Bayonetta 2 is, but with it sandwiched between those games I have every intention of ignoring it. I played the demo and there was some great stuff, and then there was Blade Mode + all the stuff I loathe about MGS (10 tons of stupid dialogue and cutscenes murdering the flow of the action)

So yeah, whatever.

so you're criticizing Rising for having lulz dialogue and cutscenes that murder the flow of action while looking forward to Bayonetta 2, the sequel to a game with lulz dialogue and cutscenes that murdered the flow of action with some even featuring instadeath QTEs

makes sense

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
so you're criticizing Rising for having lulz dialogue and cutscenes that murder the flow of action while looking forward to Bayonetta 2, the sequel to a game with lulz dialogue and cutscenes that murdered the flow of action with some even featuring instadeath QTEs

makes sense

What is the purpose of this post?

If David Cox' surprisingly strong wording regarding an LOS2 Wii U port is any indication ("no chance" as opposed to "no plans at this time" or the like), I would not expect any Wii U support from Konami beyond casual/family titles and PES. At all, ever, and possibly not even that.
This year's PES is Wii U bound according to the series marketing producer (Vita bound as well finally). That at least likely means Kojipro is including the platform for FOX Engine support.

Huff

Banned
I see the stance that if its not a 3rd party exclusive, the game is shit attitude continues by some fans

Bayonetta 2 hype is an interesting one, especially from non-360/PS3 owners. They recognise it as a game they absolutely really want to play and big up, and yet never owned it themselves. Console loyalty is a weird ol' drug. I'm reminded of the Okami Wii fervour: the strange subset of people that somehow skipped the PS2.
So basically like most people hoping for Monster Hunter to release on the Vita at some point?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I have! I destroyed everything in my immediate surroundings, which made it so I had to restart to get up to the street. I meant literally cutting a watermelon. Unless it is in there and I missed it somehow.

It's in the tutorial VR mission, and you could have ninja ran up the wall to get to the street.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
the irony in which a few in this thread slam Rising for possessing the bad traits of Metal Gear when Bayonetta embodied them at an even more egregious level

But that's not even the main idea of his post

on top of what you're saying not even being true. I don't remember the bayonetta demo opening with a 10 minute cutscene. then another 5 minute one after a 5 second encounter that followed by an unskippable codec call.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Having a Wii U release would mean I can finally pack up my 360. It's not a big deal if it doesn't come to the Wii U but it'd make me start organizing my game area to make way for next gen. MGRising is the last 360/PS3 title I want, so if a Wii U port was available I'd just get it there.

Jackano

Well I do not demand it then. Enought of Konami/Kojima lame shit ports on Nintendo consoles. Even more, don't waste P*G time with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom