• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames uploads videos of Bayonetta for development retrospective page

Principate

Saint Titanfall
wasn't monster hunter already pretty big in the west thanks to the psp/vita?
i don't think the franchise grew much bigger because nintendo published it in europe

also,we are talking about different amounts of effort and money required anyway..there's a significant difference between publishing a game in a region and make an entire new game,marketing and other stuff to try and make the bayonetta franchise into a bigger one.

It really didn't it sold barely anything in the west before the 3DS. Keep in mind it's now a million seller in the west with Nintendo's help. Nintendo literally launched a console iterations with monster hunter as a main game.

i don't think the franchise grew much bigger because nintendo published it in europe

also,we are talking about different amounts of effort and money required anyway..there's a significant difference between publishing a game in a region and make an entire new game,marketing and other stuff to try and make the bayonetta franchise into a bigger one.

You mean like what they did with bayonetta 2 which ended up with her in Smash and having her own amiibo.

Ridley327

Monster Hunter had a cult following at best in the west prior to jumping ship to Nintendo. Capcom rarely did much to advertise the PSP games outside of Japan, nor did Sony try to step in to help out. And I don't even want to get into how poorly the first installment on PS2 fared. Now, it's a really solid B-tier franchise in terms of sales, thanks to all the support Nintendo has put in to getting the word out about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega sold the IP to Nintendo, and they released Bayo1 on PC before that so they could get some money.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo dosn't care about Bayo enough to fund another game, the second one was cheaper, because it was already on production when Ninty stepped in.

I'll be there no matter what console is released, but Bayonetta deserves powerful hardware.

You don't count, we knew your answer beforehand.

Geg

Come clean now.

Any Bayonetta 2 fans wanting the title to stay Nintendo exclusive??

Come clean now.

I mean I'd like it to come to more platforms so more people could play it but I know that won't happen.

I just want them to port it to the Switch; I don't want it to languish on the Wii U forever

Zaheer

I just want it to fucking happen, I'll be there no matter the console.

This is basically a console seller to me. :D

This. I've wanted it on the Switch more than anything before I even knew what it was. I don't care about the platform, just give it to me on something stronger than the Wii U.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Come clean now.

Come clean now.

Its nice now to say Bayonetta 2 should be on every console or PC but why did it need to be exclusive to begin with? When Sega and the rest of the industry abandoned Bayonetta, it was Nintendo who stepped in after the fact to revive her.

Nintendo can keep this one.

Given the current situation with Bayonetta 1&2 releasing on Wii U, Bayonetta in Smash Bros, two Bayonetta amiibo releasing in July, and with Platinum Games developing at least one Switch game, I don't see how it couldn't be another exclusive funded by Nintendo.

Completely forgot the Amiibo wasn't out yet... Yeah that timing of a July release for the Amiibo would work very well after a June E3 announcement of B3 (or B1+2 on Switch).

Whatever the case and regardless of the platform, we all need more Bayonetta in our lives.

Valero

Banned
Bayonetta 3 is already a buy from me. I don't care who funds it or if it's exclusive to a platform, just give it to me!

I'm doubtful Nintendo would be involved with Bayonetta 3, but it's possible. The Bayo 1 port to PC shows Sega is clearly ready to invest in the series again.

I mean, they did put her in Smash and reprint Bayo 2, so Nintendo also has some level of interest in the franchise.

nintendo owns bayonetta 2,not the franchise,if they make bayo 3 and somehow turn the bayonetta series into a big franchise,sega can do bayonetta 4 without even asking nintendo and put it anywhere they want.
that wouldn't be possible with mario and sonic since you need both sonic AND mario to do it.

we were talking about putting the effort to nurture and make a franchise grow,not just publishing games, they already do that.
giphy.gif

I think they have done much more than simply publish some of those games. Monster Hunter is one that immediately comes to mind.

aBarreras

Come clean now.

Come clean now.

do you mean bayonetta 3 or 2?

i kinda like bayonetta 2 being exclusive, but if going mulitplatforms helps funding bayo 3, im all for it.

i just want bayo 3

Golnei

If it's Bayonetta 3, I hope they get rid off that garbage haircut.

As both of her #looks have been flawless, your value judgment is objectively wrong, but I do agree that a new haircut would be a necessity for 3. I hope they don't get complacent with 2's pixie cut because of its popularity.

change completely style and aesthetics was what i was referring to...gameplay wise i like the new fire emblem..in terms of style, character designs and story,i miss the old ones dearly

Awakening and Fates' change in artstyle wasn't unprecedented, when the series was already considerably altering its look for every platform it released on. Retaining a past style for the 3DS would have been the anomaly.

Ganondorfo

They should make a Bayonetta Devil May Cry crossover. Dante gets stuck from a dimension in the world of Bayonetta, where she will help Dante find his home again in a portal.

In other time I wouldn't believe it, but a sequel to Nier has been released this year and scored an 88 so I believe anything at this point.

Zomba13

Bayo 3 would be the most hype thing at E3. C'mon, pleaaaaaaaaaaaase be a hint. I mean it makes sense to put up Bayo themed videos on their channel what with the recent PC port but like, clips from 2 as well, and repeated THREE times? C'mon, be something. Pleeeeeease. Any platform, any price. Pleeeeease.

Come clean now.

Come clean now.

I'll take it on any platform, but I do hope it has a Switch version for the portability. It's much easier for me to find time to play on Switch. As long as it gets made though I will be ecstatic.

Man if this gets announced at Nintendos E3! They have those Bayonetta Amiibo coming in July. Surely, they won't only be used in Smash!

Dinjoralo

So I got bored and looked at the blog/"magazine" things. On the english Platinum website, the blog is mostly just for announcements of releases, or some other things like the studio going out for a picnic when the weather got nice. On the japanese site, it's a "magazine" that has a lot more posts in it. Looking at them with google translate, they seem to be blog posts about more internal gamedev things, like how they go about proposing concepts for games, the process of making environment art, or the private life of one of the animators (who buys lots of stuff on Steam, wink wink.) Either way, the "Learn English with Bayonetta!" thing is super out of left-field.

In short, SOMETHING IS HAPPENING, GET HYPED Y'ALL.

BiggNife

That doesn't make me feel any better :(

I know. Trust me, I know. : (

My point is that I don't think that image was trolling. I think Platinum had every intention of making Rising 2 and then Konami shut it down when they decided to focus on pachinko and fitness centers.

sonicmj1

As a former English teacher in Japan, I love reading Japanese writing about teaching English. So this blog post was a real treat simply on that level.

But it also touches on some of the challenges of localizing English dialogue into Japanese. Just as Japanese has plenty of nuances which can get lost in a slavishly literal word-for-word translation, English similarly is packed with expressions that come across differently in Japanese. This is particularly true with slang.

So I find it interesting seeing here not only how the meaning of these vulgar expressions is explained in Japanese, but also how the actual subtitles used for the Japanese versions of the game differ from the literal meaning of the English expressions. So, for example, the line ”Do you naughty little angels deserve a good spanking?" was subtitled (and voiced) as ”キツくお仕置き しちゃうわよ" (more literally, "You're in for a severe punishment") in order to preserve the English's BDSM nuances. Or, less explicitly explained, Bayonetta's fight-ending one-liner against Balder, "Don't fuck with a witch!" is subtitled in Japanese as, "喰らいな!" ("Eat/take this!"). I remember feeling, as I beat the game on PC recently, that the latter Japanese line felt drier than its English counterpart, but a more literal take (the article offers "魔女をナメるなよ!") wouldn't necessarily capture the English line's venom. This sort of translation has to be a real challenge.

If I remember right, Hideki Kamiya wrote the story and fellow Platinum member J.P. Kellams adapted it into English, so I have no doubt that it's all true to the "original intent" of the work. Given how much we discuss how Japanese media gets translated to Western languages, I don't usually get the chance to think about how things go in the other direction. The blog post's author says she'll continue this series if people like it, so I hope they keep them up!

Monster Hunter on Sony platforms cratered so bad, they didn't localize MHP3.

Neff

Come clean now.

Come clean now.

I'll buy it whatever format it ends up on, but it feels like she's at home on Nintendo now.

And honestly, it's just more realistic and likely.

correojon

How would you guys feel if Bayo3 came out for every system...except Switch?

I´d buy the PC version but man, it would be such a low move from Sega.

Anteater

How would you guys feel if Bayo3 came out for every system...except Switch?

I´d buy the PC version but man, it would be such a low move from Sega.

I don't think it's a big deal, it'd be nice if it's on switch too but I can't imagine someone without any of this gen's consoles/pc, bought a switch as their primary system and nothing else, it's more a money thing if it's not on any particular system, not all developers can afford multiplatform development day 1

Curufinwe

As a former English teacher in Japan, I love reading Japanese writing about teaching English. So this blog post was a real treat simply on that level.

But it also touches on some of the challenges of localizing English dialogue into Japanese. Just as Japanese has plenty of nuances which can get lost in a slavishly literal word-for-word translation, English similarly is packed with expressions that come across differently in Japanese. This is particularly true with slang.

So I find it interesting seeing here not only how the meaning of these vulgar expressions is explained in Japanese, but also how the actual subtitles used for the Japanese versions of the game differ from the literal meaning of the English expressions. So, for example, the line “Do you naughty little angels deserve a good spanking?" was subtitled (and voiced) as “キツくお仕置き しちゃうわよ” (more literally, "You're in for a severe punishment") in order to preserve the English's BDSM nuances. Or, less explicitly explained, Bayonetta's fight-ending one-liner against Balder, "Don't fuck with a witch!" is subtitled in Japanese as, "喰らいな!" ("Eat/take this!"). I remember feeling, as I beat the game on PC recently, that the latter Japanese line felt drier than its English counterpart, but a more literal take (the article offers "魔女をナメるなよ!") wouldn't necessarily capture the English line's venom. This sort of translation has to be a real challenge.

If I remember right, Hideki Kamiya wrote the story and fellow Platinum member J.P. Kellams adapted it into English, so I have no doubt that it's all true to the "original intent" of the work. Given how much we discuss how Japanese media gets translated to Western languages, I don't usually get the chance to think about how things go in the other direction. The blog post's author says she'll continue this series if people like it, so I hope they keep them up!

I remember reading about Japanese Tolkien fans being very upset with the subtitles for Fellowship of the Ring.

http://www.translationdirectory.com/article441.htm

Theonik

Its also the most unlikely scenario
It depends. SEGA has no reason to release the game on the Switch. If it's SEGA funding the sequel and not Nintendo I wouldn't be so sure about that.
(because Nintendo would want exclusivity and SEGA's interests is on it being on as many platforms as possible but switch is not a great multiplat target)

Top Bottom