• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames uploads videos of Bayonetta for development retrospective page

Given the current situation with Bayonetta 1&2 releasing on Wii U, Bayonetta in Smash Bros, two Bayonetta amiibo releasing in July, and with Platinum Games developing at least one Switch game, I don't see how it couldn't be another exclusive funded by Nintendo.

When you put it like that.

9faf531c05dc16a9d54ecef6bb18a538.gif

About Bayonetta 2 being Nintendo exclusive (I know they also ported 1), did they keep the lewdness and swearing in 2? I'm watching some youtubes of 2 (playthroughs/torture attacks) and feeling they toned it down.

It depends. SEGA has no reason to release the game on the Switch. If it's SEGA funding the sequel and not Nintendo I wouldn't be so sure about that.
(because Nintendo would want exclusivity and SEGA's interests is on it being on as many platforms as possible but switch is not a great multiplat target)

They have a good reason to release it on switch and that is a lot of nintendo fans being bayonetta fans, remember bayonetta won the smash ballot

It depends. SEGA has no reason to release the game on the Switch. If it's SEGA funding the sequel and not Nintendo I wouldn't be so sure about that.
(because Nintendo would want exclusivity and SEGA's interests is on it being on as many platforms as possible but switch is not a great multiplat target)

The hell? Why would they have no reason?

Dinjoralo

About Bayonetta 2 being Nintendo exclusive (I know they also ported 1), did they keep the lewdness and swearing in 2? I'm watching some youtubes of 2 (playthroughs/torture attacks) and feeling they toned it down.
I feel like Bayo 2 kinda deviates in tone from the first on a whole, not just sexually. Plus there's that whole story of Platinum toning down the sexualization on the Nintendo costumes out of fear of Nintendo not being okay with it, and Nintendo replying like "we can tell you're trying to tone it down, but we're cool with you doing what you do."

correojon

It has more reasons to release it on Switch than to not do it. Apart from it being another platform where they could get more sales (and Bayo seems very popular due to Bayo1+2, Smash and the amiibo), SEGA and Nintendo seem to have a nice relationship and this could harm it. P* also gets along really well with Nintendo and after Nintendo saved Bayo2 they would have something to say if SEGA wanted to use them as devs (which they probably would). And maybe I´m misremembering, but when Capcom decided on it´s own to break the exclusivity RE4 deal with Nintento, wasn´t that one of the reasons that pushed Clover to leave?

I didn´t notice the game being toned down, there was even some controversy with one move from Rodin which seemed to imply
him raping Bayo

Menitta

How would you guys feel if Bayo3 came out for every system...except Switch?

I´d buy the PC version but man, it would be such a low move from Sega.

I own a PS4 so I'm happy. I just want this game to exist and I don't see it not existing on PS4 or Switch. It would be on a least one of those consoles.

Papacheeks

Banned
Given the current situation with Bayonetta 1&2 releasing on Wii U, Bayonetta in Smash Bros, two Bayonetta amiibo releasing in July, and with Platinum Games developing at least one Switch game, I don't see how it couldn't be another exclusive funded by Nintendo.

The wording makes it sounds like the five years start by when they signed the deal with SEGA, so when they first started Bayonetta 2's development, and it only temporarily started (and I doubt they halved it for more time than they spent on the development). Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

With how horrible Bayonetta sold on Wii U, and how well Bayonetta on PC has sold in such a short amount of time on top of how well Neir sold on pc. It could be on everything including switch.

I don't think it will be exclusive to one platform as they've seen the money they can make on PS4/PC/Switch.

Danneee

Bayonetta Trilogy on Switch would be too awesome. And Bayo 1+3 on everything else just so more poeople can play them.

With how horrible Bayonetta sold on Wii U, and how well Bayonetta on PC has sold in such a short amount of time on top of how well Neir sold on pc. It could be on everything including switch.

I don't think it will be exclusive to one platform as they've seen the money they can make on PS4/PC/Switch.

If you think the sales on Wii U were horrible how on earth can you say it's sold well on PC?

Majukun

platinum says they got no input from nintendo regarding tuning down violence and nudity..and to be honest we have pretty much almost full frontal nudity in the first scene of the game so i believe that...that being said the rest of the game doesn't come anywhere close that first cutscene

regarding the swearing,i think it's still intact too,but didn'0t do a side-by-side swearing comparison
I didn´t notice the game being toned down, there was even some controversy with one move from Rodin which seemed to imply
him raping Bayo

that was in bayo 1 i think

correojon

platinum says they got no input from nintendo regarding tuning down violence and nudity..and to be honest we have pretty much almost full frontal nudity in the first scene of the game so i believe that...that being said the rest of the game doesn't come anywhere close that first cutscene

regarding the swearing,i think it's still intact too,but didn'0t do a side-by-side swearing comparison

that was in bayo 1 i think

I wasn´t sure myself so did a quick search, it actually happened in both games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943390

But for some reason there wasn´t any uproar until the WiiU release, that´s why I thought it was only in 2.

Theonik

They have a good reason to release it on switch and that is a lot of nintendo fans being bayonetta fans, remember bayonetta won the smash ballot
Bayonetta 2 sold significantly less than Bayonetta 1 on the PS3 and 360. SEGA at the very least are keep on reviving the franchise starting with PC and if the VC port is any indication a PS4/X1 release might also follow.

The hell? Why would they have no reason?
Expensive, install base not there. Switch is quite a bit different to the other release targets for this game.

Bayonetta 2 sold significantly less than Bayonetta 1 on the PS3 and 360. SEGA at the very least are keep on reviving the franchise starting with PC and if the VC port is any indication a PS4/X1 release might also follow.

Expensive, install base not there. Switch is quite a bit different to the other release targets for this game.

You can hardly say an easy cash port (which they've been doing a lot of) shows they are keen on reviving the franchise

Dont forget Nintendo are releasing 2 bayonetta amiibos soon, they still seem keen on the franchise too

If the below is accurate, doesn't that mean it outsold the individual 360 and PS3 SKUs on an install base a fraction of the size? Obviously it's tough for a single SKU to outsell a multiplatform release.

EDIT: Or does this not take into account the heavy discounts late into its life on 360/PS3? In that case we don't know if Bayonetta 2 was less profitable overall than Bayonetta 1.

It doesn't seem that bad compared to what some of you are saying
Bayonetta 2 was at <135,000 in December, it sold 10,000 in January (thus, < 145,000) and now it's at 157,000. This means it sold >12,000. Including first month's digital sales (10% of debut), it's at around 164,000 units sold (it's actually slightly higher, since I'm incuding just first month digital sales, but the max is 170,000 IMHO). In 6 months, it did outsell what Bayonetta 1 sold on PS3 in 18 months (150,000), and now it's going for what it sold on 360 in 18 months.

I wish we had actual accurate numbers for Bayonetta 2 since a lot of people like to say it bombed when we really don't know that in general, or what the expectations were.

HardRojo

Bayo 3 - PS4 / PS4 Pro, Xbox One / Scorpio and PC

Bayo 1 & 2: Switch (1080p docked).
This would be the ideal scenario for me. It'd be great to see Bayo 3 developed with the power of the more powerful consoles in mind. And since I'm getting a Switch I'd be able to catch up with Bayo 2.

This is in the opening moments right before you take control
2.gif

Majukun

This would be the ideal scenario for me. It'd be great to see Bayo 3 developed with the power of the more powerful consoles in mind. And since I'm getting a Switch I'd be able to catch up with Bayo 2.
looking at Bayo 2,there was plenty enough power to make a spectacle on wii u, same would be for the switch

sonicmj1

I remember reading about Japanese Tolkien fans being very upset with the subtitles for Fellowship of the Ring.

http://www.translationdirectory.com/article441.htm

That's an interesting article. The schedules those subtitlers work (or worked? I wonder if anything's changed since then) seem insane. One week to translate and subtitle a feature film? No wonder mistakes happen.

I found this part kind of prescient for 2003.

The availability of platforms such as the Internet has clearly contributed to the ability of film viewers to bring their critical comments to the public arena and to stimulate a public debate using specific examples for contentious points. This type of reaction could equally arise in the localization industry where a user group, unhappy with a certain localized product, could launch such a campaign. Electronic word of mouth over the Internet travels a vast distance extremely rapidly and can have considerable impact.

The meltdowns are going to be legendary. Another Bayonetta, another Nintendo exclusive.

aBarreras

If the below is accurate, doesn't that mean it outsold the individual 360 and PS3 SKUs on an install base a fraction of the size? Obviously it's tough for a single SKU to outsell a multiplatform release.

EDIT: Or does this not take into account the heavy discounts late into its life on 360/PS3? In that case we don't know if Bayonetta 2 was less profitable overall than Bayonetta 1.

I wish we had actual accurate numbers for Bayonetta 2 since a lot of people like to say it bombed when we really don't know that in general, or what the expectations were.

thats just US right? D:

Papacheeks

Banned
If you think the sales on Wii U were horrible how on earth can you say it's sold well on PC?

Because it's sold over 100,000-200,000 in a span of like 2 weeks on a stealth launch.

To my understanding of information that may or may-not be valid it sold by May 2016 1 million.
Which isn't great for something that was out for almost 2 years, and re-released again in a cheaper package on the same platform. So obviously it wasn't selling great at it's price point with the redone Bayonetta 1, so they re-packaged it without it and sold it for 29.99 to help sales.

Bayonetta 1 on PC had very little information outside of a countdown people on Gaf and steam found. There was not marketing it was just released on 11th of april.
Since then has sold over 100,000 copies in a short amount of time on one digital storefront.

So yea it's doing well. SO is nier on PC as well.

If Nintendo is going to fit the bill then yea I can see another game from PG funded by Nintendo. But with how some of their games have done, and how starfox turned out which was not PG's fault I don't think Nintendo is the only player that can help bring their games to market.

Because it's sold over 100,000-200,000 in a span of like 2 weeks on a stealth launch.

To my understanding of information that may or may-not be valid it sold by May 2016 1 million.
Which isn't great for something that was out for almost 2 years, and re-released again in a cheaper package on the same platform. So obviously it wasn't selling great at it's price point with the redone Bayonetta 1, so they re-packaged it without it and sold it for 29.99 to help sales.

Bayonetta 1 on PC had very little information outside of a countdown people on Gaf and steam found. There was not marketing it was just released on 11th of april.
Since then has sold over 100,000 copies in a short amount of time on one digital storefront.

So yea it's doing well. SO is nier on PC as well.

If Nintendo is going to fit the bill then yea I can see another game from PG funded by Nintendo. But with how some of their games have done, and how starfox turned out which was not PG's fault I don't think Nintendo is the only player that can help bring their games to market.

Compare the Wii U userbase to the PC userbase, also its a budget PC release

Papacheeks

Banned
Compare the Wii U userbase to the PC userbase, also its a budget PC release

Yet other games that came out on a small userbase on Wii U sold a lot.

Like splatoon.

Bayonetta 2 had build up, had exposure, a marketing campaign, tv commercial.

The PC port was stealth released and up on one digital store, also was 19.99 that helped.

Yes I know that there are factors making it more one sided. But this was literally put on the store. People want Bayonetta on other platforms period. It would have sold well on PS4 as well.

Top Bottom