• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play-Asia says SJWs to blame for DOAX3 not coming west

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amakuni

At the time of that quote he was with the company. So the comparison is completely valid.
The issue isn't 'SJWs' it's financial.
The previous games have sold a combined total of 840k between them. 590k for the original and 250k for the sequel.
Factor in distribution costs and it doesn't make sense to distribute to all territories.
Importing is easy now, so the idea is to release in home territory and allow those outside to import.
Blaming 'SJWs' is a really good way to drum up interest. See Hatred and Huniepop for good examples.

Just saying that these were two different people responding 8 years apart, one in an interview and one in a Facebook reply.

I think it's an interesting take on this issue to view that Facebook post as an insincere marketing ploy to raise awareness and drum up import sales. I guess that makes sense considering the vita and PS4 are region-free. Never thought of it that way. Valid theory, though still a bit skeptical since so many games being brought over these days are undergoing so much censorship in localization (Bravely Default, Xenoblade Chronicles X, ect.)

KingBroly

Banned
Looking a little further, and Dead or Alive 5 has only sold 1.25m units across all formats worldwide.
That coupled with 840k for BOTH Xtreme games worldwide probably makes the reason for this completely clear.

Kinda makes you wonder why they're allowed to make them in the first place if they're not close to breaking even.

The posts speculating the twitter posts being a way to market the English version seem reasonable. We seen the same tactics used for Dead Space 2 and Movie 43. Plus with importing being as easy as it is, would not be hard to get people to buy it. Would appeal to the group that hates censorship.

Lernaean

Banned
In 30 pages no one has been able to give an example of a significant protest.

But, it sounds like you're up to the challenge.

No one cares cause there is an alternative, doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer a localized version.

And you can't challenge me son.

Kinda makes you wonder why they're allowed to make them in the first place if they're not close to breaking even.

The money in DoA right now is in the costumes. That's why there's a ridiculous amount of costumes available in DoA5. They know DLC is a major part of its ability to make money which is why they went with the voting method they did for picking characters in DoAX3. They put up themes for all of the female characters in the series and said that the top 9 would make it into the game. Of course the catch is that you couldn't just download those themes, you had to pay for them. It's a method that they took from AKB48 (a popular idol group in Japan) where every year they hold an election to let fans vote for the most popular member. But in order to vote you have to buy their most recent single as it contains the voting ticket. Those singles are always their highest sellers.

No one cares cause there is an alternative, doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer a localized version.

And you can't challenge me son.
If they can afford to localize it, then they should. There won't be a significant protest because largely no one cares.

Battlechili

Banned
They money in DoA right now is in the costumes. That's why there's a ridiculous amount of costumes available in DoA5. They know DLC is a major part of its ability to make money which is why they went with the voting method they did for picking characters in DoAX3. They put up themes for all of the female characters in the series and said that the top 9 would make it into the game. Of course the catch is that you couldn't just download those themes, you had to pay for them. It's a method that they took from AKB48 (a popular idol group in Japan) where every year they hold an election to let fans vote for the most popular member. But in order to vote you have to buy their most recent single as it contains the voting ticket. Those singles are always their highest sellers.
The Steam version of the last Dead or Alive has the costume pack DLC being more expensive than the game itself, haha. They're definitely banking on those costumes.

Jakten

Breaking your rant stream to post that i'm so much importing this great piece of software.

Also lol at those who call the ones that dictate you what media you should like according to their standards 'progressive'. They are as progressive as Abu Bakr al-Baghadi.

d9tfYkv.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Breaking your rant stream to post that i'm so much importing this great piece of software.

Also lol at those who call the ones that dictate you what media you should like according to their standards 'progressive'. They are as progressive as Abu Bakr al-Baghadi.
No one is dictating anything but Tecmo and they're so embarassed of their own product they refuse to release it out of a fear of criticism.

It seems to me that Tecmo are, rightly, too embarrassed to release this masturbation fodder in the west. The Japanese market has a sizeable audience for this type of software and a game industry that does not really care about inappropriate representation of women in media.

The audience for this game is much smaller in the west and our media are much more liable to generate bad press for Tecmo over this utterly tactless piece of software. If they wanted to at least pretend they were making a game and not a masturbation aid, they could at least have added some male characters.

Today I learned:

There are less people who masturbate in the west than they do in Japan.

Men can't be masturbated to and straight women/gay men don't masturbate.

Volleyball and video games assist with masturbation, an otherwise difficult task.

A woman being capable of being masturbated to is inappropriate in masturbation aids.

Raggie

I'm against SJWs trying to prevent my right to buy this game! Which they aren't doing, but they totally would! Which just proves how bad they are! And people say they aren't trying to take away our games lol!

I know, I'll repost the tweet on the various social media outlets I use, using the oppurtunity (and my associated rage) to remind everyone who reads it what an exquisite moral compass I have, all while coming across as an insufferably smug bellend. That'll show 'em!

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
A woman being capable of being masturbated to is inappropriate in masturbation aids.

Masturbation can give you aids? O:
I know, I'll repost the tweet on the various social media outlets I use, using the oppurtunity (and my associated rage) to remind everyone who reads it what an exquisite moral compass I have, all while coming across as an insufferably smug bellend. That'll show 'em!
Kudos on the use of "bellend"
thumbsup.png

HGH

Banned
In 30 pages no one has been able to give an example of a significant protest.

But, it sounds like you're up to the challenge.
Well I don't know if it counts but there appears to be quite a number of journalists blacklisting PlayAsia on Twitter.

Afilador

Banned

Is Godwin's law replacing nazis with ISIS gonna be a thing now?

And no, a company deciding to not release a videogame due to social climate (or lack of confidence in their product selling in such climate) isn't censorship, nobody has called for this game to be banned nor there has been a movement to do so, and it certainly isn't being banned anywhere.

Ponti

No one is dictating anything but Tecmo and they're so embarassed of their own product they refuse to release it out of a fear of criticism.

The fact that a developer is not releasing a game out of fear of criticism should be a red flag, as well as indication that they might actually have a point. Embarrassment isn't a factor, that's just you projecting your own views of sexuality onto them. Big shock: A lot of people in this world don't shrivel up into an awkward ball at the sight of virtual female flesh.

Vlaphor

They've made money on all of them. I pointed out earlier that it took nearly seven games in the Senran Kagura series to sell what two games in the DOAX series sold, and DOA V selling 1.25 million is quite impressive. Games that sell huge numbers are the outlier, not the norm, and over a million for a niche title is fantastic.

That doesn't even count DLC sales either. DOA is a money maker, and DOAX 3 would sell just fine in western territories.

Well I don't know if it counts but there appears to be quite a number of journalists blacklisting PlayAsia on Twitter.
Nothing to do with the selling of the game, but for pandering to particular group that is known for harassment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The fact that a developer is not releasing a game out of fear of criticism should be a red flag, as well as indication that they might actually have a point. Embarrassment isn't a factor, that's just you projecting your own views of sexuality onto them. Big shock: A lot of people in this world don't shrivel up into an awkward ball at the sight of virtual female flesh.
Most people would just roll their eyes and move on, which is why them refusing to bring it over is so funny.

It seems to me that Tecmo are, rightly, too embarrassed to release this masturbation fodder in the west. The Japanese market has a sizeable audience for this type of software and a game industry that does not really care about inappropriate representation of women in media.

The audience for this game is much smaller in the west and our media are much more liable to generate bad press for Tecmo over this utterly tactless piece of software. If they wanted to at least pretend they were making a game and not a masturbation aid, they could at least have added some male characters.

I just looked this up and some sites says 60%-ish of the total sales of the previous 2 games are from NA, 10% from Europe, 26 % from Japan and 4% from the rest of the world.

not sure if the site is reliable though.

Guess Who

Banned

"oh no, feminists might make angry tweets about our game, guess we should just forgo an entire region's worth of sales"

Paracelsus

"oh no, feminists might make angry tweets about our game, guess we should just forgo an entire region's worth of sales"

I don't know, sounds there's a bit of cognitive dissonance here and there.

Are you saying there have never been instances where people who were never meant to be the target demographic for a particular item have caused major uproar because of said item even existing?

Koei-Tecmo probably wants to avoid a publishing bloodbath (imagine if what happened to GTAV in Australia extended to the whole Northamerica for DoA).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Today I learned:

There are less people who masturbate in the west than they do in Japan.

Men can't be masturbated to and straight women/gay men don't masturbate.

Volleyball and video games assist with masturbation, an otherwise difficult task.

There are more people in Japan who would spend money on this type of game. Which is why it is not being released here. This silly game is meant to tittilate male gamers and get them to buy various skimpy costumes. That is the design principle behind the game. That's why there is a camera mode that lets you examine the characters in detail.

I never said it was inappropriate for a masturbation aid. It's inappropriate in 2015 to release a game on PS4 that is just meant to be masturbated to. Tecmo obviously agree as they don't want to release the game outside Japan where such products are commonplace. If they were marketing this as a masturbation aid and not a game, I wouldn't care. Beach Spikers was a volleyball game. This is a model viewer with a volleyball mode bolted on.

Jathaine

it's probably Toukiden, which they openly admit greatly disappointed them.

Did they? Could you link me to this? I find it interesting that they'd make a direct sequel to a game that disappointed them and also go on to try to make it one of their frontrunners as well.
Honestly, they talked about wanting to give Toukiden the flagship treatment. None of this makes sense if they were disappointed by how it did.

Lernaean

Banned
If they truly believed in their game, they wouldn't be intimidated. No one has demanded they not release it.

I don't need to answer. Ponti said it best.

Vlaphor

I just looked this up and some sites says 60%-ish of the total sales of the previous 2 games are from NA, 10% from Europe, 26 % from Japan and 4% from the rest of the world.

not sure if the site is reliable though.

Keep in the mind that the two previous games also were Xbox and Xbox 360 exclusive. A much smaller Japanese market than PS4/Vita.

Maedhros

I think that the companies should try to defend what they believe and release their products, despite the criticism you'll get anyway.

Consumers should be less vocal on forums and vote with their wallets.

Robaperas

Nah, no red flags, they should embrace the game they made and release it here if they want, or if it makes sense business-wise, instead they're shrivelling up into an awkward ball just thinking about their game being criticized or talked about in a "negative" way.

Battlechili

Banned
Come to think of it, with all that's been going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually change their minds about localizing the game after all this buzz simply because the buzz is a powerful form of marketing. Now that everyone's talking about it, the game might have a better chance of being profitable to bring over.

On a different note, it appears Play Asia is having A COMPLETELY UNRELATED flash sale for Moe Chronicle. Wasn't that an actually decent dungeon crawler/EO clone, fanservice aside? Thinking about getting it.

jediyoshi

Nah, no red flags, they should embrace the game they made and release it here if they want, or if it makes sense business-wise, instead they're shrivelling up into an awkward ball just thinking about their game being criticized or talked about in a "negative" way.

Good to know you're clarifying the latter also isn't in anyway a red flag.

I heard that the games sell better here than they do in Japan though. And I hear the games are also genuinely quality fighting games. Its just that that's not why people buy the games, considering there are plenty of other good fighting games out there.The source isn't Play Asia. The Dead or Alive team on Facebook are the ones that brought this up and claimed such things.

I read the Facebook post, and it didn't use feminists or SJW at all. It just talked about the "environment" or whatever that exists today. And to say that's just some SJW paradise environment, rather than the world that exists now that more and more people are talking about the treatment of women in games and gaming and appeals to a wide audience (as in, not just internet tumblrinas or whatever) is disingenuous at best.

The "let's not be so shitty to women" conversation is not one that exists only in the dark corners of the internet, and PA's post is entirely dismissive of that fact.

HGH

Banned
Nothing to do with the selling of the game, for pandering to particular group that is known for harassment.
PlayAsia themselves said to keep things civil and away from harassment. I think too many assumptions are being made by everyone.
Still, you can't say "No one is campaigning for anything" when you've got people actively boycotting the outlet with an English release recommended by the devs themselves. Or at least the EU branch.

Ponti

It goes way beyond that, and I get the impression people know why but are just playing dumb and passing it off. You also kind of proved my point again, and just did the same post I replied to, worded differently.

There are more people in Japan who would spend money on this type of game. Which is why it is not being released here. This silly game is meant to tittilate male gamers and get them to buy various skimpy costumes. That is the design principle behind the game. That's why there is a camera mode that lets you examine the characters in detail.

I never said it was inappropriate for a masturbation aid. It's inappropriate in 2015 to release a game on PS4 that is just meant to be masturbated to. Tecmo obviously agree as they don't want to release the game outside Japan where such products are commonplace. If they were marketing this as a masturbation aid and not a game, I wouldn't care. Beach Spikers was a volleyball game. This is a model viewer with a volleyball mode bolted on.

Today I learned:

Western males are less prone to both titillation and spending money on game content as well as for sexual gratification.

We're supposed to masturbate to this game.

Character model viewers in games are for masturbation purposes.

PS4 is a holy vessel and masturbation should not occur near it, or be facilitated through it.

It's 2015 and we've moved beyond masturbation as a species and as a society.

plufim

PlayAsia themselves said to keep things civil and away from harassment. I think too many assumptions are being made by everyone.
Still, you can't say "No one is campaigning for anything" when you've got people actively boycotting the outlet with an English release recommended by the devs themselves. Or at least the EU branch.
They said that after retweeting a gamergater making fun of trigger warnings.
The boycotts having nothing to do with the fame and everything to do with courting gamergate.

jerry1594

Whoa you know that guys name! Look how smart you are.

LuuKyK

I have no words. Its the world we live in now I guess, where everything is an offense to someone. People just can't enjoy whatever they like anymore. There is always something or someone to complain about. A big fucking shame.

Hopefully somehow TK change their minds and launch the game in the west at some point, but its still beyond stupid that we have to go through all this process to begin with.

Lernaean

Banned
Today I learned:

Western males are less prone to both titillation and spending money on game content as well as for sexual gratification.

We're supposed to masturbate to this game.

Character model viewers in games are for masturbation purposes.

I don't understand why you're being sarcastic. I have masturbated plenty of times with The Evil Within model viewer.

Whoa you know that guys name! Look how smart you are.

I know! Me mum says the same.

Ponti

By this logic I'm amazed beaches aren't covered with more cum than sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom