• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

Hoo-doo

Banned
I bet it'll take at least 2019 to release on PS4, especially if the game stays in early access till 2018, and with the low staff count scrambling to finish the PC version and essentially port to Xbox.

Even if it's 1 year exclusive, I bet the timer doesn't kick in until the game is out of early access. Start counting for PS5 port (or PS4 port forward-compatible with PS5).

Sony isn't going to keep this game off the platform because it carries an 'early access' label. Come on now.
I bet both console versions of the game end up hitting in 2018 with a 6 month delay between them or so.

Seems like an extraordinary support for something that's only timed. But then the game could be the next gta3 so that would pay off big time.
It might have a fairly long time exclusivity. I could see a year plus exclusivity . I doubt this game exits early access this year, it any time soon for that matter. they're going to keep building this until done. It's up to whatever exclusivity clause the two parties have signed and when.

patapuf

If there was ever a more perfect opportunity for Sony to come to their senses about cross-platform play, it would be this game.

Minecraft is old news.

This is the next big thing.

Step up, Sony.

Which was? o_O

H1Z1.

It's funny really. Sony could have had it's own battle royale game. Exclusive even, since they owned the dev.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It might have a fairly long time exclusivity. I could see a year plus exclusivity . I doubt this game exits early access this year, it any time soon for that matter. they're going to keep building this until done.

That's the whole point of the service model. This game will never be 'done'.

I so hope this game launches together with 1x

I sold my ps4/vita a few weeks ago and Im starving for pubg....watching twitch 4 hours a day like a peasent...

Unless MS screws us over and allow Keyboard and mouse support. That would totally kill the pad users. Would rather just fork up 2x the money then for a gaming pc.....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If MS really did get exclusive rights due to working so closely with the dev team, then that was a very smart move for them, considering the explosive popularity of the game itself

H1Z1.

It's funny really. Sony could have had it's own battle royale game. Exclusive even, since they owned the dev.

i dont think h1Z1 really had anything on this game to be honest

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
Sea of Thieves water tech? in PUBG?

giphy.webp

gamz

If MS really did get exclusive rights due to working so closely with the dev team, then that was a very smart move for them, considering the explosive popularity of the game itself

i dont think h1Z1 really had anything on this game to be honest

Ybarra is a huge fan and probably had some say in this. Just a guess. Anyway, brilliant work getting this.

Kyougar

Strapped for staff eh? How many hundreds of millions in sales but ain't got no cash? Just stick to the rest you wrote: MS opened their wallet and gave us resources.

He said that they have problems hiring people in South Korea because most of them want to work for mobile titles and not unreal.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can only be good for both versions of the game so I'm happy.

Scuffed

Xbox NEEDS them pubg numbers so I'm not at all surprised by the extra effort in helping playerunknown with the port.

Montresor

Microsoft is putting in a tremendous amount of support and backing into this game. How does it not stay exclusive?

I'm not saying I want it to stay exclusive by the way. I'm just saying - they're pouring what seems to be a lot of resources, expertise, funding, etc... into the title.

Microsoft is putting in a tremendous amount of support and backing into this game. How does it not stay exclusive?

I'm not saying I want it to stay exclusive by the way. I'm just saying - they're pouring what seems to be a lot of resources, expertise, funding, etc... into the title.

I'm assuming the initial exclusivity and potential marketing is just what they wanted rather than spend more to keep it exclusive.

Seems MS is putting much more resources on this than Sony with SFV.

Its the hail mary that has the highest chance of succeeding in a 'we need to catchup' sense. It's a really smart move, but lets not kid ourselves about why Microsoft are flashing the cash here.

I don't think Sony dropping this kind of money on SFV would have anywhere near the level of payoff that this will.

Do y'all think it's a possibility that MS buys them up and we could be looking at a Minecraft type of situation? It just seems increasingly likely with each new story that drops about Microsoft's "invaluable support."

So we're guessing that PlayerUnknown is bound to refuse any advances from Sony to get their port going?

That's my guess, yes. Sticking to it. Prove me wrong, PU.

Sony isn't going to keep this game off the platform because it carries an 'early access' label. Come on now.
I bet both console versions of the game end up hitting in 2018 with a 6 month delay between them or so.

Sony doesn't have an early access program. Beta program, yes but not early access. There's no way Microsoft is investing so heavily in this only for the game to release on PlayStation before it's even Gold on Xbox. So, here's my estimated timeline.

Releases on Xbox early access, early 2018.
Goes gold on PC/XBOX mid/fall 2018. Exclusivity deal on Xbox starts.
Goes gold on PS4 mid/fall 2019 after exclusivity ends.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I will be a bit shocked if PlayerUnknown makes it to the PS4, this feels like Microsoft is both trying to get it on their system ASAP, and vendor lock them with offering proprietary tools/tech.

Dynomutt

Do y'all think it's a possibility that MS buys them up and we could be looking at a Minecraft type of situation? It just seems increasingly likely with each new story that drops about Microsoft's "invaluable support."

Why would Bluehole sell if the managed to sell 10 million copies alone without the aid of the console? Console is not their primary market just an additional revenue stream. Autonomy is in Bluehole's best interest.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Not unless they are going to shell out a shit load of money again.

Lister

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn into a console exclusive for xbone. At the very least I think people saaying early 2018 on ps4 are kidding themselves. Maybe late summer, early fall.

flkraven

Why would Bluehole sell if the managed to sell 10 million copies alone without the aid of the console? Console is not their primary market just an additional revenue stream. Autonomy is in Bluehole's best interest.

Minecraft was already one of the best selling games of all time when they were bought by Microsoft.

jmizzal

Buys who? Bluehole? I highly doubt that, they are much bigger then Mojang was when MS brought them out.

Minecraft was already one of the best selling games of all time when they were bought by Microsoft.

Wasnt Notch also looking to sale, Bluehole is not they have a lot of other games, Mojang was mostly just Minecraft.

Nov 7th with the Xbox one x

your welcome

at least it's save to assume it won't be before that date
i think they aim for 7th November. Will depend how good the build is at that point.

But if they don't hit early November, they can even go into 2018
Mid December is no mans land

Mojang was much more valuable tho. I doubt MS would buy them.
question is who owns the IP
Bluehole or Brendan?
both partially?

i also highly doubt MS would want to buy Bluehole and i also don't see why Bluehole would want to be bought out.
The IP is a different story, tho

Microsoft is no stranger to that, wouldn't surprise me if they tried it again.

But I doubt it'll happen here, I see no other ways Microsoft can use PUBG for other divisions like Minecraft and education.
correct.

Np way they would do all that work for a 6 months exclusivity. It'll be like every other xbox early access "exclusivity". ~ 1 year or more

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Microsoft is no stranger to that, wouldn't surprise me if they tried it again.

But I doubt it'll happen here, I see no other ways Microsoft can use PUBG for other divisions like Minecraft and education.

The games division does not have infinite money like some like to believe, plus they are launching a new expensive console this holiday, dropping a billion or two would be crazy.

Ravelle

Odd that they're doubling down on water tech while everything takes place inland except for the coastal stuff but I don't think people stick to the coast that much.

Ehker

I can see another Titanfall situation.

MS steps in and pours money into the project and it's believed that it is only a year exclusive, but some time before or after launch MS will drop the news that PUBG will be exclusive for the "life of the title."

Titanfall is an Xbox/Windows Exclusive for the Life of the Title

When that Titanfall deal happened they didn't know how things would go between XB1 and PS4. Overall doesn't seemed to have helped the Titanfall brand either.

Now that publishers know the size of the PS4 playerbase it take a huge investment by MS to try to lock that down.

Iced Arcade

Buys who? Bluehole? I highly doubt that, they are much bigger then Mojang was when MS brought them out.

Wasnt Notch also looking to sale, Bluehole is not they have a lot of other games, Mojang was mostly just Minecraft.

Minecraft was already a monster phenomenon at the time of the microsoft purchase.

Of course PC is their primary market at the moment but again, Mojang was developing a PC focused game through and through but the success of the console launches changed everything for them and soon, despite PC remaining the primary platform, they were killing it in the console space.

I'm just suggesting that PUBG may wind up being the next Minecraft and who better to handle the transition to a multi-platform juggernaut than the company backing them with such incredible support now?

flkraven

It's pretty crazy that with how bad Microsoft's exclusive lineup looked this year (especially after the Crackdown delay), they somehow got the most popular game of the year as a console exclusive.

Top Bottom