• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

SCB3

Hmm, PUBG is confirmed for EGX here in the UK as playable on Xbox one x, I'll be trying it out there and see the difference

But I will say, MS getting this as an exclusive is a genius move, I don't see this coming to PS4 at all rbh

MUnited83

For you.
???

It still looks bad.

How does one game (thats even timed exclusive) change it all?

No offense to PUBG because it is sucessful but... most popular game of the year???

Its more like this is a step in the right direction. Its not enough but its a good step.

It's more popular than any exclusive game released this year, yes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No. Provide console-level features that Sony can't even dream of providing, provide complete decade plus long backwards compatibility to the entire library, provide better games with GWG, provide free PC counterparts, provide 4K Blu-ray, provide a streamlined PC-Console interface/play, and try to carry over as much as you can from Xbox One to Xbox Next-Gen.

For someone who hasn't jumped on current-gen, Xbox provides far more to intice the user to stay, literally applying Sony's motto "4ThePlayers" and taking it for the ride.

For all we know, it's a restart for Sony when they release PS5.

This is some kind of comedy routine, right?

This game will not remain a console exclusive for Xbox, although I could easily see a twelve month gap between releasing on both consoles.

Either way it has the potential to gain a lot of traction for the Xbox platform in the months ahead. Game Preview was such a clever idea, it basically curates the best PC EA games and try's to get them on console as quickly as possible.

Fisty

No. Provide console-level features that Sony can't even dream of providing, provide complete decade plus long backwards compatibility to the entire library, provide better games with GWG, provide free PC counterparts, provide 4K Blu-ray, provide a streamlined PC-Console interface/play, and try to carry over as much as you can from Xbox One to Xbox Next-Gen.

For someone who hasn't jumped on current-gen, Xbox provides far more to intice the user to stay, literally applying Sony's motto "4ThePlayers" and taking it for the ride.

For all we know, it's a restart for Sony when they release PS5.

Sony could do, will do or already does all that stuff you mentioned, even backwards compat with PS3 could happen one day when it's technologically feasible. And it won't be a restart with PS5, thinking that is just ridiculous. I don't see how Xbox can provide more for a new user than a PS4, considering the VAST difference in number of exclusives.

EDIT: dammit was this bait

Kayant

Seems MS is putting much more resources on this than Sony with SFV.
How would we know given all we know is Sony helped bring to game quicker to market then it would have. There is no details in what resources they contributed iirc like here.
I can see another Titanfall situation.

MS steps in and pours money into the project and it's believed that it is only a year exclusive, but some time before or after launch MS will drop the news that PUBG will be exclusive for the "life of the title."

Titanfall is an Xbox/Windows Exclusive for the Life of the Title
This -
Bluehole owns PUBG.
Plus the way the whole thing happened is very different than the current situation. The likelyhood of that happening here is slim.

I'll repost it

giphy.gif

Holy shit, Rare water in this game?

???

It still looks bad.

How does one game (thats even timed exclusive) change it all?

No offense to PUBG because it is sucessful but... most popular game of the year???

Its more like this is a step in the right direction. Its not enough but its a good step.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Dire/Rubbish, same thing :D but yes they have been.

If it really takes off on Xbox I can see them snapping up console exclusive rights, if that's even possible.

The quantity may be underwhelming but the quality has been decent. Certainly not dire.

StillEdge

Strapped for staff eh? How many hundreds of millions in sales but ain't got no cash? Just stick to the rest you wrote: MS opened their wallet and gave us resources.
In pretty sure they didn't have "millions" of sales when they first started this contract.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Seems right. I prefer the PS platforms, but MS has been doing great things of late. For some reason, I'd trust MS with full BC over Sony based on their recent moves.

Oh for sure, their BC approach is unparalleled. No-one can deny that.

Admittedly, BC is kind of a blind spot for me seeing as i'm just not interested in re-playing my Xbox 360 titles.
Currently I don't have any reason to doubt either of the next-gen consoles offering full BC for current gen (PS4/XB1) games. (And honestly even if they didn't, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but that might be blasphemy on this board.)

Gator86

That's way more than I expected. That PS4 version is way the fuck off. Guess I'm stuck buying this on Xbone this fall.

Jumeira

Banned
When that Titanfall deal happened they didn't know how things would go between XB1 and PS4. Overall doesn't seemed to have helped the Titanfall brand either.

Now that publishers know the size of the PS4 playerbase it take a huge investment by MS to try to lock that down.

Erm TF1 done much better then TF2, MS marketng muscle drove much of that hype and awareness, if anything not using them and relying on EA hurt the franchise.

Ascenion

Seems right. I prefer the PS platforms, but MS has been doing great things of late. For some reason, I'd trust MS with full BC over Sony based on their recent moves.

I agree, I'm more confident buying games I'd want to play again in a few years on Xbox over PS4. PS3 dropping backwards compat, PS4 not even having it, PS Now...makes me apprehensive.

c0de

How would we know given all we know is Sony helped bring to game quicker to market then it would have. There is no details in what resources they contributed iirc like here.

We can see what was released, though. And many thought the game is missing crucial content. That doesn't mean Sony didn't invest enough but if it was a huge amount of money, then we talk about money not well spent (besides having the small side effect of getting console exclusive rights).

Betty

Banned
The quantity may be underwhelming but the quality has been decent. Certainly not dire.

Halo has lost it's lustre, Gears apparently did so bad they won't even release sales numbers and fans were tepid on it, Fable died (but it looked awful anyway) Quantum Break was average, Dead Rising 3 and 4 killed the franchise, The Master Chief Collection did significant damage to a once glorious brand, and then there's Scalebound (which also looked awful so MS got lucky here)

I guess Sunset Overdrive is the only other bright spot in their lineup, but that also underperformed.

And of course Forza, their saving grace.

If Microsoft are smart they'll moneyhat PUBG to keep it exclusive.

GodofWine

But I will say, MS getting this as an exclusive is a genius move, I don't see this coming to PS4 at all rbh

I don't see why MS wouldn't just lock it up...but maybe (total theory from my butt) Bluehole no longer wants to lock it up with them, and they've made so much freaking money from this game that they don't need / want / care about any amount of money MS (or Sony) would offer them.

If MS threw millions at them in May, then maybe they'd lock it up, but now that they've had revenue of $300,000,000 from this game (minus Steams cut), they no longer see a reason to lock it up anywhere.

Also, if MS did get full exclusivity, Sony would be smart to be ready to counter with a PS4 version of H1Z1-KOTK, which is a really good game unto itself , and I think it would be a useful counter punch. SOE did own the game at one point.

blakep267

Ybarra is a huge fan and probably had some say in this. Just a guess. Anyway, brilliant work getting this.
It is his team that's doing the support work. Looks like he was a big champion of the game(aside from it being insanely popular)

Halo has lost it's lustre, Gears apparently did so bad they won't even release sales numbers and fans were tepid on it, Fable died (but it looked awful anyway) Quantum Break was average, Dead Rising 3 and 4 killed the franchise, The Master Chief Collection did significant damage to a once glorious brand, and then there's Scalebound (which also looked awful so MS got lucky here)

I guess Sunset Overdrive is the only other bright spot in their lineup, but that also underperformed.

And of course Forza, their saving grace.

If Microsoft are smart they'll moneyhat PUBG to keep it exclusive.

I think most of those outcomes are down to weaker sales of xbox versus PlayStation. I don't see a major lack of quality in those titles

Kayant

We can see what was released, though. And many thought the game is missing crucial content. That doesn't mean Sony didn't invest enough but if it was a huge amount of money, then we talk about money not well spent (besides having the small side effect of getting console exclusive rights).
Sure but the details given here is things that could only be evaluated with details such as staff support, engine support etc. We can't really compare "level of support" with what support was given.

It would more of a question of worthwhile the investment was given results.

True. But I also wonder if it's a situation where you throw money at brendan and have him make a game for you

I've said in other threads that, I would feel like the better option if you want to have PUBG of your own is to pull a DOTA2 and poach Brendan to start ANOTHER battle royale game at any one AAA studio in the west, except this time with a shit-load of budget.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
True. But I also wonder if it's a situation where you throw money at brendan and have him make a game for you
This is just ludicrous. This game is his baby and it is a phenomenon. Thinking he would just go start from scratch is fucking nuts.

i doubt this will happen, but they should really try to put it up before Nov 7th and bundle a code for the early access with the X.

daman824

Oh for sure, their BC approach is unparalleled. No-one can deny that.

Admittedly, BC is kind of a blind spot for me seeing as i'm just not interested in re-playing my Xbox 360 titles.
Currently I don't have any reason to doubt either of the next-gen consoles offering full BC for current gen (PS4/XB1) games. (And honestly even if they didn't, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but that might be blasphemy on this board.)
Looking at ps now and Sony reselling ps2 games on the ps store, Sony is much more likely to leave out backwards compatability next generation.

They could work on ps2 and ps1 backwards compatability right now for the PS4 if they wanted to, I doubt it would be a massive unthinkable task. But they don't want to.

Top Bottom