• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

I hope they get some benefit. As it is, almost every match I play is marred by some absurd bug or just poor netcode. I've played a lot of early access but the rate at which this game is progressing given the user base is disgustingly slow. Not to mention many of the general design choices are offensively bad.

That said, I obviously enjoy the overall premise or I wouldn't even be complaining. It's just a shame it seems like Bluehole doesn't really have a game plan.

I always wondered about the accuracy of that.

If there was a PS4 version already made and waiting to go, just simply delayed, why hell did Nixxes need to port it? I feel like if there was a PS4 version they just decided to sit on a few months from launch, CD could've just released THAT themselves if that was the entirety of the story of what really happened.

i mean they managed to have the 360 version ready day and date with the xbo version

if they managed a 360 version by that time i'm sure a publisher as large as square enix would have found a way for the ps4 version too, considering how much more similar the ps4 is to the xbo than the 350 is from a hardware point of view

Head.spawn

You know, I love PUBG, even if I have never played it - I have watched several days of feeds of people playing it, it's a real joy to watch. But that said, a part of me does wonder, how well it translates to a console controller.

I mean, I am old enough to remember how excited we were about how this scoop would really boost OG Xbox:

Counter%2BStrike%2BCOVER.jpg

That game played great from what I remember. Controls were on point, gameplay felt nice, visuals worked etc etc.. my only complaint with that game is lack of server, content and patch support from Valve. I had a ton of fun playing the hell out of that but at some point I feel like early on people just knew that the game wasn't going to receive adequate support.

cackhyena

Because it's poor visually everywhere else, especially on the settings most people have to play it at.
I run everything on high and I think the game can look pretty decent. Especially skies. Besides, will there be the ability to downgrade visuals on Xbox? Look at where this game was at alpha and where it is now. Nothing says the rest of the game can't eventually meet it somewhere in the middle.

Why would people even want this to be console exclusive ?

Of course the first thing that comes to mind is console warz, especially for people who have no financial stake in the success of Xbox, but how many times do we see the comments, "Xbox has no exclusives" , "Xbox needs exclusives", here on Gaf? A lot, right?

Judging by the hundreds of times I've seen those comments in Gaf threads, you'd think there would be a lot of people here praising MS for trying to lock it down.

Betty

Banned
Is anyone saying that? That they WANT it to be console exclusive? On GAF I mean, in this thread

I mean, it wouldn't really surprise me but I haven't seen it

I don't have an Xbox, can't run PUBG on my shitty laptop and I want it to be exclusive to Microsoft's consoles just for the drama.

smiley-bath-dog.gif

pislit

I don't have an Xbox, can't run PUBG on my shitty laptop and I want it to be exclusive to Microsoft's consoles just for the drama.

No, what you want is a Switch version that crossplays with Xbox for the glorious meltdown.

Lol

krang

If there was ever a more perfect opportunity for Sony to come to their senses about cross-platform play, it would be this game.

Minecraft is old news.

This is the next big thing.

Step up, Sony.

The hottest of takes.

How will this game ever compete with a game that appeals to a vastly broader age range, and is playable on just about any device?

sp3ctr3

Sounds to me like it will be a while before a PS4 version is released.

Bluehole is working on PC while Microsoft is banging away at the Xbox console port. PU says there's no staff currently to work on a PS4 version.

Sounds to me like Bluehole will start work on the PS4 version when the PC/Xbox final version is out the door? Maybe sooner if they a quick about expanding staff from 120 to 300 people.

wapplew

Sounds to me like it will be a while before a PS4 version is released.

Bluehole is working on PC while Microsoft is banging away at the Xbox console port. PU says there's no staff currently to work on a PS4 version.

Sounds to me like Bluehole will start work on the PS4 version when the PC/Xbox final version is out the door? Maybe sooner if they a quick about expanding staff from 120 to 300 people.

Why can't Sony hire port studio to make it happen sooner?

Strapped for staff eh? How many hundreds of millions in sales but ain't got no cash? Just stick to the rest you wrote: MS opened their wallet and gave us resources.

It doesn't matter how much you're making. You don't want to staff more than needed. One day it won't be making the kind of money it is and I doubt they want hundreds of extra employees they're going to have to axe when that time comes. Bad press, scares off talent and also huge costs involved.

But yeah, fanboy shit... Maybe Sony should have opened their wallets and resources instead of throwing money at other 3rd parties if that's the case?

wapplew

Really. If the only hold up is lack off staff, Sony can send tech support and hire port studio like MS did to make PUBG PS4 version.
The only explanation PS4 version not happening sooner is Sony still sleeping on the game.

Vipu

Banned
Really. If the only hold up is lack off staff, Sony can send tech support and hire port studio like MS did to make PUBG PS4 version.
The only explanation PS4 version not happening sooner is Sony still sleeping on the game.

Do you think MS will let sony people to just come there and make port?

c0de

They have spent a lot of resources (money) for exclusive marketing for Desiny 2, COD and Star Wars. I don't think they see any need to further invest in anything for holidays.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but what is being said between the lines is that there are clearly more at play here than just 'lack of resources' and 'the reason an Xbox version exist is because MS is the one porting/making it.'

Rarely does such intense level of support for a 3rd-party game come without strings attached, and it's pretty clear that a deal is signed to at least have exclusivity for the period of holiday 2017, and that Bluehole cannot officially confirm any plans for a PS4 version until the completion of that exclusivity window.

Thebonehead

Banned
It's hard to simulate the tension and anxiety. When you're running through a field you have no idea when a gunfight is going to start.

They should add some background music inspired by the Dunkirk movie score. Just low level stuff that doesn't interfere that gets faster as the timer goes down.

That tapping style music really ratcheted up the tension for me. I was a nervous wreck after that film.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Unless there's a specific part in the timed exclusivity contract that states otherwise, then why not? Bluehole is in this to make money.
Why would Bluehole be okay with this kind of demand if they just signed away timed exclusivity anyway? Just to spite Sony? Gaming companies aren't run by gameFAQs posters.

It just sounds that Sony hasn't yet been making investments because of the exclusivity window. Perhaps Bluehole is restricted from any mention of the other versions through NDA's. But that's still all just speculation, we simply have no clue what the contract says.

Betty

Banned
I asked a magic 8 ball if PUBG will be Xbox console exclusive forever, and well... the results speak for themselves

c8.gif

Why the hell do people here talk like MS is in charge of the development and owns the IP
It's Bluehole

They decide what they want to do with the game and how they allocate recourses
It's not like they would just hand out the Code to Sony and say. "have fun with this do whatever you want and make it possible on your platform" - who cares it's not even a finished product and thus a simple port would never be enough anyway.
PUBG is not a finished game, they could easily outsource for porting to another platform.

The Xbox One Version is a collaboration between Bluehole in Korea, the Team in Spain and Microsoft
They would need at least the same to make this happen in a reasonable way for a potential Playstation Version.
But they don't have the resources or manpower for that. Nor is a third Version their focus right now, when not even 1 is close to their final vision yet.

I would guess MS will get 6 to 12 months out of it, including early access. That's good enough to do the job and a fair trade for some developer expertise. All work gone into the Xbox version will cross over to the PS4.

It sucks if you are on PlayStation only and want to play the game, but this will likely result in a better game in the long run if MS are helping out.

blakep267

Why can't Sony hire port studio to make it happen sooner?
THe time for that would've been before MS got there. PUBG was a "thing" since March. They just dropped the ball

There is likely an timed exclusivity deal on place as soon as MS started publishing their version

shanafan

I just hope they keep Console and PC players separate, I've played PUBG with a Xbox one controller, it works really well, it's native support is well done, but the aiming and shooting is near impossible, I've killed maybe 3 people with controller vs well over 30 with m+kb, console users would get destroyed

I'm opposite of this. I play much better in PUBG with the controller than KB/M.

membran

While we are on the subject of water... it has been a couple of weeks since I last played PUBG, but I noticed some kind of dithering (like a dotted overlay) on every depiction of water in that game. I tried increasing all the settings to the maximum but couldn't get rid of the effect. I think some of the hairstyle in the main menu view has the same dithering. Is that an Unreal Engine 4 thing? Or has this been patched out already?

DryvBy

That game played great from what I remember. Controls were on point, gameplay felt nice, visuals worked etc etc.. my only complaint with that game is lack of server, content and patch support from Valve. I had a ton of fun playing the hell out of that but at some point I feel like early on people just knew that the game wasn't going to receive adequate support.

Yup, it was a good port.

Cc23830

This is great for the developer, but makes me very nervous as someone waiting for the PS4 port

I would as well, my friends have all been happy to wait as i constantly hear " PS4 will have it soon after xbox"

This makes it sound like it will be alot longer. Luckily i own a PC and xbox one s so not going to be down like those guys

ookami

They are planning to update ground textures. Who know how game will look in a year or two? Why not plan for that good water too?

Well are they taking only the visuals of Rare's water tech or also the physics ? Because we could have an incredible water simulation with platforms/vehicles influenced by the waves.

honestly all this to me points to microsoft Buying BLue point and PUBG.

It will be on PS4, like Minecraft.

Then I expect a "Better together" style update for all systems save ps4.

Top Bottom