• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

It's pretty crazy that with how bad Microsoft's exclusive lineup looked this year (especially after the Crackdown delay), they somehow got the most popular game of the year as a console exclusive.
This game allows them to delay pretty much all their unfinished games until spring. I think it'll work out for them

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's pretty crazy that with how bad Microsoft's exclusive lineup looked this year (especially after the Crackdown delay), they somehow got the most popular game of the year as a console exclusive.

Hopefully it actually comes out this year.

*crosses fingers*

Not unless they are going to shell out a shit load of money again.

All this talk kinda reminds me of the "MS gonna buy Rockstar/GTA" talk from back in '07/'08.
Not sure if people realize how much money that would cost and the potential look on shareholder faces when/if the suggestion comes up. Timed exclusive, especially in the window of new hardware launch, would probably be good enough. Maybe not?
They already 'bought' Minecraft. I'd be curious to see the revenue-vs-cost breakdown on that deal, as I'm legitimately in the dark on that one.

Finaj

I mean, it's kinda genius on their part. They get a big game without having to put in the same amount of resources as a AAA exclusive. And, if we're being honest, PUBG will probably sell better than any exclusive MS could release this fall.

wapplew

Luck is on MS side.
Any other year, they only able to sign another Super Lucky tale for one X launch. Gaming phenomenon like this doesn't happen very often.

It is a genius move even if the game misses holiday.

PUBG will be an evergreen game for a long while and will have no difficulty in selling well even if it releases in a random day of next year.

Dabanton

Ybarra is a huge fan and probably had some say in this. Just a guess. Anyway, brilliant work getting this.

Yep his obsessed wirh the game lol.

I posted this in another thread last week but he said to EG at gamescom

Mike Ybarra: ...I've got a large portion of my team working with them to optimise it and their [Bluehole] focus is entirely on the PC and Xbox, period, to get that done. And I'm addicted to the game. [laughs]

So also reading what PlayerUnknown is saying. It sounds like MS wants this game to hit early access this year and will send multiple resources to make sure that's the case.

It's going to be an interesting situation having a early access title potentially pushing your new console if you can get some enhancements going.

If they get this game into early access before Black Friday which falls 2 weeks? after the release of the X1X it's going to be intriguing.

_machine

Strapped for staff eh? How many hundreds of millions in sales but ain't got no cash? Just stick to the rest you wrote: MS opened their wallet and gave us resources.
Hiring and onboarding developers, is a tough and lengthy process. Having once doubled the size of a game development team, what Microsoft is offering is more than Bluehole could come up with in a short period of time, especially given the pains of recruiting in Korea for big AAA-style productions. For MS also, the opportunity cost is much higher that what it would be to just give out money; they are making decision to pull out resources of their existing games development pipeline.

c0de

As in a console exclusive/reason to choose Xbox over PS?

People believing this means anything in terms of higher sales for Xbox would be a concern surprise me. Sony has won this gen, by far. Sony already went deep pockets this year for all the exclusive marketing, they are completely fine, even without pubg.

People believing this means anything in terms of higher sales for Xbox would be a concern surprise me. Sony has won this gen, by far. Sony already went deep pockets this year for all the exclusive marketing, they are completely fine, even without pubg.

The race is not to win current gen, it's to ensure that you have secured users for next-gen. I don't know what game plan Sony has for PS5 but Microsoft's is very clear, concise and forward thinking.

wwm0nkey

Didn't really go through all 4 pages , but how do3s rare water look?

I'll repost it

giphy.gif

Mediking

???

It still looks bad.

How does one game (thats even timed exclusive) change it all?

No offense to PUBG because it is sucessful but... most popular game of the year???

Its more like this is a step in the right direction. Its not enough but its a good step.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It'll come out. The question is just how 'early' they're willing to start selling it to people. Considering they were still using PCs to demo the game at PAX - this'll be coming it pretty hot.

Yeah it is a tricky slope with it being an early access game for those possibly buying the console mainly for it. Definitely want it to as stable as possible, don't want another Halo: MCC fiasco.

c0de

The race is not to win current gen, it's to ensure that you have secured users for next-gen. I don't know what game plan Sony has for PS5 but Microsoft's is very clear, concise and forward thinking.

Although it's still hard to comprehend for some people, you are right. The strategy is quite clear.

Rare water physics? So will there be an optional 540p mode and 15fps option?

On a serious note, this really sounds like this game will be a pretty long timed exclusive if it is one or even a permanent one

Shifty

How hard could it be to port UE4 to PS4?

UE4 has support for PS4 by default. There's a button for it.

It's not quite that cut and dry since they'd have to deal with platform-specific issues and optimizations, but it's certainly easier than porting an engine that doesn't have native PS4 support.

An interesting thought though- would MS let them use the Sea of Thieves water on PS4? If it's MS-internal code I can see that maybe being an issue.

_machine

From what i have seen, I don't think that's much of a big deal
Honestly, it may not sound much, but even organizing such effort at the scale that Microsoft (and Bluehole) operate in, especially in game development, is a big task. No doubt the ROI for Microsoft most likely is there though, securing a massive hit like PUBG may be much more than worth the effort.

And what strategy is that? Power wins?

No. Provide console-level features that Sony can't even dream of providing, provide complete decade plus long backwards compatibility to the entire library, provide better games with GWG, provide free PC counterparts, provide 4K Blu-ray, provide a streamlined PC-Console interface/play, and try to carry over as much as you can from Xbox One to Xbox Next-Gen.

For someone who hasn't jumped on current-gen, Xbox provides far more to intice the user to stay, literally applying Sony's motto "4ThePlayers" and taking it for the ride.

For all we know, it's a restart for Sony when they release PS5.

Severance

It's a really great to see Microsoft supporting Bluehole right now. For a second there, it seemed they were not as invested in games as they once were, but rather the XBox/Windows experience. It makes me optimistic for the future. Sometimes second place brings out the best in a console, such as Sony last gen. I have PUBG on PC and it's hard to imagine playing the
inferior
console version, but I'm intrigued. I'll definitely check it out.

Betty

Banned
No. Provide console-level features that Sony can't even dream of providing, provide complete decade plus long backwards compatibility to the entire library, provide better games with GWG, provide free PC counterparts, provide 4K Blu-ray, provide a streamlined PC-Console interface/play, and try to carry over as much as you can from Xbox One to Xbox Next-Gen.

For someone who hasn't jumped on current-gen, Xbox provides far more to intice the user to stay, literally applying Sony's motto "4ThePlayers" and taking it for the ride.

Xbox has been abysmal this year though for actual new games and their exclusives this gen have been really dire except for Forza.

There's not much point in having a feature full console when there's little in the way of great new games to play, especially exclusives.

I mean if they hadn't gotten PUBG the biggest game they'd have this year is Halo Wars 2.

Top Bottom