• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Coreda

So am I understanding it right that this game plays out in survival matches/rounds that just happen to take place in an enormous area, rather than a persistent-state survival game?

wrongway

So am I understanding it right that this game plays out in survival matches/rounds that just happen to take place in an enormous area, rather than a persistent-state survival game?

Yepper, it's round-based. Each round also takes I think around 30 minutes max if you get all the way to the end.

That's actually the best part. Rounds are like 20 minutes tops and if you die, you can spectate or simply drop game and join another one.

Real quick turnaround.

dVeLoPe

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133350567

hey guys was playing a solo today and yea it wasnt going very good for me
I thought the mistake I made was going for a fight apparantly the car though otherwise..

well if you watch the video in slo mo or a few times you will find something disturbing....

I WAS IN A SOLO MATCH NOT A DUO...

EXPLAIN WHY THEIRS 2 PLAYERS READY TO SHOOT ME OUT OF 1 CAR?!?!?
[its hard to notice but the driver gets out first and other guy in the rear passenger side gets out afterward]

so they are people who run solo games with friends or maybe this was a rare occasion??

would hate to think this is happening to players we need a KILL CAM OF SOME SORT!!!!!

Tecnniqe

Banned
PSA We have updated all servers with a hotfix that should resolve the lag/rubberbanding experienced over the past week.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133350567

hey guys was playing a solo today and yea it wasnt going very good for me
I thought the mistake I made was going for a fight apparantly the car though otherwise..

well if you watch the video in slo mo or a few times you will find something disturbing....

I WAS IN A SOLO MATCH NOT A DUO...

EXPLAIN WHY THEIRS 2 PLAYERS READY TO SHOOT ME OUT OF 1 CAR?!?!?
[its hard to notice but the driver gets out first and other guy in the rear passenger side gets out afterward]

so they are people who run solo games with friends or maybe this was a rare occasion??

would hate to think this is happening to players we need a KILL CAM OF SOME SORT!!!!!
Report their names and server number as teaming is a bannable offense.

For reporting players please follow these instructions http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/3962-reporting-a-player-step-by-step/

Y'know, honestly, I'm kinda okay with Teaming if it's spontaneous teaming that came to be naturally in actual gameplay. There's proximity voice chat, right? Or is that only while in the plane? I mean in the end, There Can Only Be One. Somethingsomething no honor among thieves.

Organized metagamed-teaming, well, yeah, that's another story obviously. They deserve what's coming to them.

Honestly other than of course the latter case of metagaming-teams, what really concerns me the most is teamkillers in Squad mode.

JDB

Banned
Y'know, honestly, I'm kinda okay with Teaming if it's spontaneous teaming that came to be naturally in actual gameplay. There's proximity voice chat, right? Or is that only while in the plane? I mean in the end, There Can Only Be One. Somethingsomething no honor among thieves.

Organized metagamed-teaming, well, yeah, that's another story obviously. They deserve what's coming to them.

Honestly other than of course the latter case of metagaming-teams, what really concerns me the most is teamkillers in Squad mode.
In theory it'd be nice, but if you don't punish it people who already know each other will just start teaming up and ruin it for the rest.

luulubuu

The game is against it; you are rewarded with points while hitting + killing, there are no guarantees of loyalty in that regard, the matches are also short so there's no point to "team up with randoms in game"

In my opinion, but I would love to see it one day

Pachimari

I don't understand why it's an offense if people decide to team up. That's just cool.

Also if I choose Solo, will everyone on the server be Solo? And if I choose Duo, will everyone on the server be in a duo team?

CryptiK

I don't understand why it's an offense if people decide to team up. That's just cool.

Also if I choose Solo, will everyone on the server be Solo? And if I choose Duo, will everyone on the server be in a duo team?
Because teaming up in Solo defeats the point of Solo.

iosa

I'm starting to get used to the weapons. I had my best game in that regard with 6 kills.

It started with 2 early kills with a S12K then I killed 4 with the AKM with a pretty good accuracy (I had 2 long-range kills using only a red dot).

I tend to shoot at the body too much though, I really need to learn to go for the head because that's how I usually die.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Because the game puts you in a locked mode and even playing field. Solo forces you alone regardless and you can't select solo as option when grouped.

If you want to play in group your option is duo and squads. Duo is always 2 and if you go in alone it will matchmake you.

Squads you can go in solo and turn off matchmaking making it essentially a 1v2/3/4.

These rules are the foundation of the game and have been so for the genre since it's start. Servers ban you on mods in ArmA for teaming and they have algorithms to catch them as well as people's reports. With the spectate and recording function that's coming it'll be easy to find out.

red731

When someone shoots, is somewhere near you and you don't know where.
NYtZ64x.gif

Pachimari

Because the game puts you in a locked mode and even playing field. Solo forces you alone regardless and you can't select solo as option when grouped.

If you want to play in group your option is duo and squads. Duo is always 2 and if you go in alone it will matchmake you.

Squads you can go in solo and turn off matchmaking making it essentially a 1v2/3/4.

These rules are the foundation of the game and have been so for the genre since it's start. Servers ban you on mods in ArmA for teaming and they have algorithms to catch them as well as people's reports. With the spectate and recording function that's coming it'll be easy to find out.

Oh, this is nice to know. Thanks for explaining it. :)

Pachimari

Yeah when I played the game yesterday with my headphones on I nearly shit my pants with those loud shots coming at me, I got scared and panicked lmao.

JDB

Banned
To be honest the directional sound isnt very good at all ive noticed...is there any way to improve it? im guessing not
Outside of spectating and vehicles where it's glitched I haven't had any issues with it. If you're having issues make sure that you listen to the actual shot and not the crack and/or whizz of the bullet.

Lren

Yeah when I played the game yesterday with my headphones on I nearly shit my pants with those loud shots coming at me, I got scared and panicked lmao.

1VBZ7xK.gif

Pretty much me when playing with headphones as well. I'm either filled with absolute terror or I'm trying to fist fight everyone I come across.

Vipu

Banned
Alot of people watch from edge of ring.

never stay still outside.
working your way from one direction(edges) is safer than being in the middle having to check 360 degrees all the time.

They are both good tactics.

If you are in middle you have higher chance to be in new circle and you dont have to move from your spot.

If you are on edge you have high chance to keep running and get shot.

luulubuu

PUBG as Raven's gifs:

When you jump from the plane and you see 5 other people had your same idea
tumblr_l8j5zanYTl1qavhi2.gif

first time as Squad
tumblr-nc3vcz23o51rj3n86o6-500-thats-so-raven-38914648-450-290.gif

Getting a good weapon in the first house you go
716bcf06b7249a35140afdaccd010309.gif

...and you also get good mods for it
6355360752765534411571507554_tumblr_m7c1nsGU1d1qfccvpo1_500.gif

Tecnniqe

Banned
Early Access - Week 2 - Patch Notes

Performance Improvements
  • Client performances have improved when loading buildings from a mid-distance Server performance has been improved

World
  • Fixed the issue that was causing buildings from a long distance to not be visible

Sound
  • Fixed an issue with door sounds playing at low volume
  • Adjusted volume of wind, rain, and footsteps
  • Improved the sounds for the buggy
  • When in rainy weather, you will now sporadically hear thunder sounds

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to hide and attack other players from inside a rock
  • Applied additional fixes to address the issue of players going under the map in certain areas
  • Fixed several issues with weapon switching
  • Fixed an issue with the compass direction not displaying correctly

Tecnniqe

Banned
Players,

Today I want to address some of the standout issues you have reported, and what we are doing to improve server performance.

First though, in case you missed it last week, here is our plan for updates during Early Access:

Daily updates, to improve server performance.
Weekly updates, to push bug fixes & client performance and stability fixes.
Monthly updates, to add new content and push balance passes for game-play.

Client Optimization​

We will push our first client optimization patch in our monthly update later this month. We understand some of you are not having the best experience when playing the game, and we are committed to improving performance for all players, but the optimization process takes time, so please bear with us as we complete it.

Sounds

As we work on the sound system in-game, there may be unforeseen issues due to changes we make at a low level. One of these, which a lot of you reported, was footstep sounds. This issue occurred due to our adding of an occlusion system to footstep sounds. Due to a miscalculation of how much these sounds would be occluded, footsteps ended up being very hard to hear. This has now been fixed, and with the new occlusion system it should be much easier for you to track a player’s movement using sound alone.

Regarding where you are being shot from, we are looking into why this is a problem for some of you, and we will continue to push updates and improvements to these systems!

Server Performance

We are very aware of the issues you have seen on our servers over the last week, and we have been working hard to resolve them. Simply put, this is not any issue with the number of servers we have for players, but rather it is down to the optimization of the server code.

Over the last week, we rolled out daily updates to the servers to improve profiling of optimization bottlenecks and yesterday these actions finally paid off! We found a issue within the Unreal Engine core code, which led the server to believe that it was being DDoS’ed due to the number of packets being sent between the clients and the server. When this detection was triggered on the server, it would drop 90% of packets received resulting in the lag/rubberbanding seen over the past week. We pushed a hotfix to the servers earlier today which should resolve these issues. We will continue to push daily updates to the servers to further improve both stability and performance.

Nymerio

Decided to give this a try and I'm liking it very much. Game is far quicker than I thought it will be with having to constantly be in the playable zone.

arimanius

Has anyone played since the server update this morning? Curious how performance was now. I was getting some pretty bad rubberbanding early this week.

red731

Has anyone played since the server update this morning? Curious how performance was now. I was getting some pretty bad rubberbanding early this week.

It was fine for me this morning in on EU servers. I didn't even knew about the patch but felt the difference.

Also something's cooking for tomorrow:

dVeLoPe

can we please sign a petition for not just better shot awareness for locations

but a short kill cam of sort to actually see what happened would be appreciated!!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
When someone shoots, is somewhere near you and you don't know where.
NYtZ64x.gif

Jokes on them. I kill everyone with these things. Winning formula is fingerless gloves, a coat, goggles, and a fully customized Micro Uzi. Helmets and vests optional.

Bonus points for carrying a frying pan as a backup.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Jokes on them. I kill everyone with these things. Winning formula is fingerless gloves, a coat, goggles, and a fully customized Micro Uzi. Helmets and vests optional.

Bonus points for carrying a frying pan as a backup.

Suppressed UZI extended qd.

May god have mercy!

They are both good tactics.

If you are in middle you have higher chance to be in new circle and you dont have to move from your spot.

If you are on edge you have high chance to keep running and get shot.

Center is my tactic.

I find the best place to hide in the vague center of the circle and hopefully I don't have to move.

Been playing for like 4 hours now, 4 or so kills and like 16 deaths, heh.

At its best I really do like the game though, can't wait for the performance issues to get alleviated because that's by far my biggest complaint so far.

Do weapons have an effective range or something like that? Last night I got into a 1v1 duel with someone that was camping in a tower/hut on the beach. I had an AK, not sure what he had. Even using single bullet mode, with an RDS I could barely hit a single shot on him. He downed me in about 3 shots through a window.

I am sure with practice I will get better but I really felt I was being patient and lining up my shot, yet when I fire it would completely miss.

Grief.exe

Squad mode is like herding cats.

Do weapons have an effective range or something like that? Last night I got into a 1v1 duel with someone that was camping in a tower/hut on the beach. I had an AK, not sure what he had. Even using single bullet mode, with an RDS I could barely hit a single shot on him. He downed me in about 3 shots through a window.

I am sure with practice I will get better but I really felt I was being patient and lining up my shot, yet when I fire it would completely miss.

He likely had a 4x/8x

Top Bottom