• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Tecnniqe

Banned
Damnit! Got 2nd. The game ended on a goddamn field and the last enemy was just prone in the grass. Does minimum graphics help with seeing through vegetation? Running on ultra now and I feel like there's too much stuff rendered.

C8e3V59XkAAHdHK.jpg:large

Arucardo

Got my first win in solo, feels great. After I got enough gear I pretty much crawled around to make sure no one got the jump on me and I only had to take out 3 people to win.

Finding a silencer for the AKM made it easy to Solid Snake through the match.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well then...
Right now you want foliage on low but the rest is up to you really.
Got my first win in solo, feels great. After I got enough gear I pretty much crawled around to make sure no one got the jump on me and I only had to take out 3 people to win.

Finding a silencer for the AKM made it easy to Solid Snake through the match.

Silencer is the best. So funny to snipe people with those too and watch them run around like crazy trying to figure out where its coming from.

OneUh8

suppressors are certainly OP. It sure is hilarious seeing your target run around trying to figure out where the shots are coming from.

Hylian7

Yeah, it really sucks that having that stuff turned up is actually a hindrance to gameplay, sort of like how it was in Arma.

I learned the hard way yesterday that even if firing from the hip, always switch to First Person when in combat. I had a thing yesterday where a guy had a pistol and I had a shotgun. I had my reticle on him and fired so many times, and somehow did not even hit him once (I was pretty much right in his face) and he managed to kill me. I was puzzled as to how the hell I did not tag him once. Turns out, if you look at a spot in third person, and see where the reticle is, that's not where you are actually pointing. If you go into first person, you'll see that it's off.

So always switch to first person when in combat.

Pachimari

Can someone explain the map to me? So I guess the blue circle is the available area to run around in? And the small white circle is where the round will shrink into? What does the fully red circle mean then?

Tecnniqe

Banned
How's the learning curve in this game?
Moderate, somewhat complex at first if its your first experience with something like this.
Can someone explain the map to me? So I guess the blue circle is the available area to run around in? And the small white circle is where the round will shrink into? What does the fully red circle mean then?
White circle = Safe zone - Staying outside this does damage over time.
Blue circle = Zone/area that will shrink (previous white) into the next safe zone (white).
Red circle = Artillery barrage zone - If hit do damage/kill.

Somnia

That area will be bombed. (Enter at your own risk).

Also if you're inside a building in the red zone, don't stand next to doors that lead outside or windows. I had one blow up on my yesterday and threw me up the stairs to the 2nd floor with half my health gone.

Hylian7

Blue - current safe area, but will close soon. Either the blue circle is still, or closing in. The in-game timer will tell you when the blue circle will start moving. If you're outside the blue circle at any time, you take a steady amount of damage until you get back in.

White - Where the blue circle will close to. You want to be in this when the blue circle closes into it. Above the minimap, there is a timer that tells you when the Blue Circle will start moving, how quickly it is moving, and how far out of the white circle you are.

Red - Red Zones, aka artillery barrage. These appear randomly for the first couple of circles for the map. When one appears, you have a brief amount of time to either take cover or get out of it. If you are in a building, you are safe from the barrage.

Hylian7

lmao I wanna see that :D

I have seen doors get blown off plenty of times, but fortunately I have yet to get hurt by that, but I believe it being possible. I do wonder if you can get hurt if an explosion hits by the wall you're standing next to.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's saved on my beam channels vod, let me see if I can find it tonight/tomorrow and I'll gif it :)
Yeeehehehe
I have seen doors get blown off plenty of times, but fortunately I have yet to get hurt by that, but I believe it being possible. I do wonder if you can get hurt if an explosion hits by the wall you're standing next to.
Only think if you stand close to windows but cant say I've tested.
How will they fix this?
Force lock foliage or change something once optimization gets better most likely.

Randdalf

Man, all these Battle Royale games remind me of a game we made at university as part of our course. Our game was a bit more on the fantastical side (and also made by a bunch of programmers with no real artistic mettle), with monsters and ghosts in an "industrial" map. It actually had some pretty interesting mechanics, like the "encirclement" of the map being where dead players respawned as "stalkers" who patrolled the edge of the map. One of the enemies was meant to be like a Weeping Angel from Doctor Who where it would only move when you weren't looking at it, and would teleport you to a random point on the map if it touched you. It also had creep camps like in Dota where you could farm XP to level up your health. Of course, being a university project it wasn't that well put together, but I think it had the potential to be fun.

I think a game like this which combines the battle royale aspect with fantastical elements, and mechanics from Dota-style games could be successful. I imagine one already exists and I'm not aware of it. Obviously there's all the horror-survival games which I guess can be considered siblings of this genre, but I don't think they count.

This was my greatest fear for a game like this. Absolutely stupid.

This has been a problem for almost every game like this. I remember back in the day on 360 I would lay prone in bushes in Ghost Recon and get shot only to find out the bush wasn't rendered on the enemy's screen.

TVexperto

This was my greatest fear for a game like this. Absolutely stupid.

This has been a problem for almost every game like this. I remember back in the day on 360 I would lay prone in bushes in Ghost Recon and get shot only to find out the bush wasn't rendered on the enemy's screen.

Chill out and dont worry, its an early access game and the devs are aware of this problem:
Foliage and shadows etc will become the same for every graphics setting, low settings won't give you an advantage over ultra settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGR...things_i_heard_while_watching_the_pub_stream/

J3ffro

I picked it up this weekend and played a few solo rounds. Then got to duo up with my wife's cousin's husband (for simplicity's sake, my cousin) and had a blast. This is my first experience with any game even remotely like this, but he's got ~350 hours into DayZ.

Last round of the night we were scavenging buildings in what we thought was an abandoned area, but we got separated and somebody killed him. I was coming back to avenge him, or die trying, when a barrage spawned on top of me, and I ran off. Ultimately I jumped into a boat and drove to the safe zone, where I effectively hid until there was only two of us, and the circle was tiny.

I got second out of a hundred without shooting a single person. This game is amazing.

Jobbs

Banned
The negative reviews on this game makes me feel so bad for developers. People are stupid.

The reviews are mostly positive and the game has been immensely successful. I wouldn't feel too bad for them. Any game is going to have its detractors.

JDB

Banned
Like the game but man, the map is wayyyy tooooo larrrrgeeee and matches so slow.
For a 100 people the map really isn't that big. It's also not supposed to be a fast-paced deathmatch type game so if you want faster matches this probably isn't your game.

J3ffro

For a 100 people the map really isn't that big. It's also not supposed to be a fast-paced deathmatch type game so if you want faster matches this probably isn't your game.

Or you can jump outta the plane as soon as possible, and get mixed up in the initial 20 person fracas that seems to happen immediately. Then you'll have killed a few people in the first two minutes, or you died, and you're onto a new round to do it over again.

Personally I'm enjoying the methodical pace of jumping out into a smaller settlement and working my way toward wherever we need to go.

Compsiox

Banned
Or you can jump outta the plane as soon as possible, and get mixed up in the initial 20 person fracas that seems to happen immediately. Then you'll have killed a few people in the first two minutes, or you died, and you're onto a new round to do it over again.

Personally I'm enjoying the methodical pace of jumping out into a smaller settlement and working my way toward wherever we need to go.

It's fun to switch it up.

SamuraiX-

P.S. I'll be continually updating the OP with dev updates and any new info I come across throughout Early Access. I've actually been enjoying following this game's progress and seeing the audience reception just as much as playing it.

GodofWine

These type of games just aren't big on GAF sadly.

I think this game and the genre in general is why im building a PC soon.

This genre is also highlights why consoles need to use real grown up CPUs. I wish theyd stop chasing resolution on consoles and think about the other stuff.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This game has 19 pages on GAF and it's the second most popular game on Twitch. Amazing stuff.
Well this is the same site which shit on the best selling game this year so far saying it was literally fesses on a disc. Plus it's a PC only game and not a indie or Japanese style game.

Can't say I'm shocked.
P.S. I'll be continually updating the OP with dev updates and any new info I come across throughout Early Access. I've actually been enjoying following this game's progress and seeing the audience reception just as much as playing it.
Cool shit 👌
Like the game but man, the map is wayyyy tooooo larrrrgeeee and matches so slow.
I'm my experience the game is as fast as you want it to be.

You can play it as a deathmatch and go into the group drops or go more stealthy and avoid that at the start. Really up to you and even then, game won't pass 30-35 minutes really.

Top Bottom