• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Swig_

I want to try first person, but I love third person mode. I feel like I'd be a better shot in first person, since it feels like third person can be pretty janky sometimes.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I want to try first person, but I love third person mode. I feel like I'd be a better shot in first person, since it feels like third person can be pretty janky sometimes.

The aiming is the same in both cases? ADS is always in first person even if you play on a third person server.

Swig_

No, I guess I mean that there isn't really a choice between ADS and third person aiming. You're always ADS/first person.

Swig_

You can hip fire from 1st person.

You have the choice between aiming third person (over the shoulder) or ADS in third person mode. That doesn't exist in first person. I'm saying that I think it would be easier to process combat situations if you don't have one of those options.

Moondrop

Banned
I almost died to this:
fgFHcmv.png

I initially drove into it, hopped out, and looted the crate successfully. But then I was unable to get back into the boat- couldn't figure out why at first. Blue almost killed me due to the swimming duration.

After all that I came in #2, and I'm kind of sick about it. I saw #3 and took him out, revealing my position. I was down to 40% immediately and went for heal. Guess I should've blindly returned fire instead, or hopped up and ran in circles?

Tokubetsu

Use Windows 10 Game DVR as the above poster suggested to record gameplay, I record the last 3 minutes, an average 3 minute clip comes out to around 220MB.

Then I use the command line utility ffmpeg to:

Trim the video to the time range I want
Code:
Create a video that lasts 8 seconds starting at 0:03
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -ss 00:00:03 -t 00:00:08 -c copy output.mp4
Remove Audio from the video if I sound like a dork or if I have background noise
Code:
Copy a video without keeping the audio track
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy -an output.mp4
Concatenate videos together to make a single video with multiple clips

and other functions on my clips until they're how I want them, then I upload them to streamable if they have audio or gfycat if they don't.

I basically do this but with shadowplay and vidcoder instead of command line prompts and win10 game dvr. I've also got shadowplay set to last 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes. I'm just used to that number from xbox.

Danny 117

Screw teamkillers in this game and the useless report system. It's worded like they won't even do anything about the reports without video. Just look at the killfeed ffs.

It's happening every other game, ridiculous.

Super good guide to set your sensitivity "right", also you have to do it from .ini file so its as good as possible.

https://youtu.be/rHTVfYKunwo

I don't know how ironic this is but I just got my first ever Solo dinner (play squad pretty exclusively because I'm shitty) after watching this guide and tweaking my in-game settings. Coming from console this is pretty much the first PC shooter I've ever played and had my sensitivity jacked like I did using a controller. Slowed everything way down and it just clicked perfectly. Thanks for the link

Tokubetsu

Buddy and I wanted to do quick rounds for Battlepounds to get GC crates. Jumped to Pochinki and we had our best round for today. You really need to play this game like you don't give a fuck.

yuuuuup

I only really care about my performance when i get top top 15 or so.

HowZatOZ

Banned
yuuuuup

I only really care about my performance when i get top top 15 or so.
Dual S12K's knocking down doors like nobodies business.

I'm glad they are changing the patch process, it was clearly in need of a change thanks to the last two patches not having enough time to test and coming out with major bugs or performance issues. I appreciated their efforts in delivering weekly patches but I'd be more than happy with monthly patches and the occasional weekly patch once tested fully.

Keep monthly patches for major content that can be tested fully like vaulting and the weekly patches to bugs or exploit fixes.

Gbraga

I just played my very first match. I did absolutely nothing other than loot stuff and run, then I got killed without ever seeing who shot me. #51

You know what? It was kind of awesome.

Gbraga

Man this game is intense.

Still didn't shoot anyone, my latest battle was against the blue thing. What's up with that? Is there any information in the game's world? Some Battlegrounds lore or something? Or is it just the blue pulse of hurt?

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than I imagined, though I still wish there was a melee-focused version of it.

Is there a camera view that is just much better than the other or should I just choose whatever I enjoy the most?

Vipu

Banned
You have the choice between aiming third person (over the shoulder) or ADS in third person mode. That doesn't exist in first person. I'm saying that I think it would be easier to process combat situations if you don't have one of those options.

You have all the 3 same aiming modes in FPP like you have in TPP.
Not pressing anything = least accurate shooting
Hold = tighter and more accurate
Click = ads

Aters

I just played my very first match. I did absolutely nothing other than loot stuff and run, then I got killed without ever seeing who shot me. #51

You know what? It was kind of awesome.

That's literally everyone's first round. Now find some friends.

Well I had two interesting FPP rounds.

First I drive a buggy toward the first crate after seeing it's two crates at once. The crates turn out to be a Level 3 bag (I have that) a Kar98 and a compensator (which is useless for the K98), and the other crate is just a K98 and ammo.

I nearly get killed by three different players while driving away, manage to get into a garage, jump out a window to fool a guy coming inside, and instead of using my compensated and foregripped UMP to ambush him as he comes down the stairs, I use my AK which is basically like playing Alpha Protocol and rolling dice to see if you'll hit a target you're aiming straight at. He has a Level 3 vest and survives to kill me.

Then I drop in Pochinki, grab a shotgun, hear a guy flip a car or something immediately out in the field, every single of my choked shotguns blasts somehow miss him, he immediately grabs the vehicle that sometimes spawns on the Pochinki road and drives away, while a guy in the building I stopped to briefly listen at for footsteps (there were none) runs into another room and shoots me through a window.

Afrodium

Banned
Shout out to the kind folks in the GAF PUBG Discord who've been super patient with me being a complete detriment to the squad the past few nights as I've slowly been figuring out how to play this game.

ultron87

Got two squad wins tonight. Last one was even one with all four standing. Good way to close it out before being out of town for a bit.

I think I'm quite a bit better at this game when I've had approximately one drink. Steadier aim or something.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure I've had a single kill in my last 4-8 games in 2 days. It's getting kind of weird. Surely my MMR would start decreasing so I'd get easier matchups?

Does anyone play duos or squads and not mind a noob teammate so I can learn better positioning?

trs1080

Neo Member
That suppressed buggy tho - https://streamable.com/ty1qq

Salty

Hah I remember watching someone play Arma BR and that was a legit tactic, turn the engine off and run people over who don't notice.

I won my second solo match after the ranking reset, now I've been in the 18k-30k rank and I feel like I'm matching up against people with way more ability than I have haha. I think most of my kills are in the first 3 minutes with punches and pistols and after that I get outmatched big time.

Xater

I have built my PC yesterday, played like 3 matches and then hoped on to the Discird for some Duos and Squad games. It was great fun. Can't wait to do it again today.

Blizzard

Banned
Well tonight I had a teammate every game until about 1:30 a.m. EDT. Now the 99-joined, no-duo-teammate games have begun again. Oddly enough my last teammate was AFK.

Also I saw a really bizarre glitch for the first time. I was driving a boat offshore of the power plant, but all the power plant buildings appeared hovering in the air about 20 feet above the water instead. My teammate saw everything as normal. Once I got closer to the power plant, the buildings suddenly warped from the ocean into their normal locations.

Still didn't shoot anyone, my latest battle was against the blue thing. What's up with that? Is there any information in the game's world? Some Battlegrounds lore or something? Or is it just the blue pulse of hurt?

It's the games way of forcing players together. Without it matches could last potentially forever. Shortly after a match starts a warning text should appear on the bottom half of your screen and notify you that you have 5 minutes to proceed to the marked area on the map and a timer will appear above your mini map. Open your map and you'll see a clearly marked white circle, that is the designated safe space. This is random every time. At certain points new text will remind you to move to the marked area. After the 5 minutes are up, a blue circle will appear on the map and slowly constrict until it envelops the white circle. When the blue circle starts constricting, the timer above your mini map will be replaced by a progress bar showing how close the blue circle is to enveloping the white one, and your rough position between the two circles. Being outside of the blue circle and in the blue zone damages you constantly. The further the match progresses, the more damage the blue zone does. After completely enveloping the white circle, the blue circle will replace the white one, and a new white circle will appear somewhere within the blue circle (always entirely within the blue circle). You will once again have a limited time before the blue circle will start constricting around the white circle, and this process will continue, and the the white circle will become smaller and smaller every time till the end when the safe area disappears completely, and the remaining players will take a shitload of damage and eventually die unless others die first. At this point players should be close enough to smell the cheetos on other players' fingers across computers.

Some tips: Sometimes it's hard to see exactly on the map if you are inside the safe zone or not and you don't want to move any closer than necessary. If you look at your mini map when you are outside of the white circle, you'll be able to see a dotted white line between you and the center of the white circle. The moment you enter the safe area, the dotted line disappears from your mini map. This way you know when you can stop crawling and pop a healing item for example.

Though it says you have 5 minutes to move to the marked area on the map (the first time), it actually means that the blue circle will start restricting after 5 minutes. It will take a while for the blue circle to reach the white circle. The closer you are to the safe area, the longer it'll take before the blue area catches up with you. The more experienced you become, the more time you can spend looting buildings and killing player before moving to the safe area.

You can heal and revive players in the blue zone.

Several times throughout the match, a red zone will appear on your map at random places. After a little while bombs will start dropping in this area. The area is pretty big, and bombs appear to drop at random. It's possible to move through this area while bombs drop. If you're unlucky, you'll get hit. Most of the time, you won't get hit by my experience. If you are inside buildings you are safe from the bombs (though I guess the wooden fuckboy shacks might not protect you). Vehicles will not protect you.

Is there a camera view that is just much better than the other or should I just choose whatever I enjoy the most?

Aiming down the sights is the most accurate. Aiming over the shoulder is less accurate, but more accurate than hip firing. If you're inquiring whether to focus on third person or first person mode servers, that should up to your preferences. I imagine one mode will prove more popular over the other in the community. Time will tell.

Compsiox

Banned
So I didn't know there was only one person left when I was getting shot at and decided to run away.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Also you can't sell keys immediately (kms)

MaxiLive

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than I imagined, though I still wish there was a melee-focused version of it.

I don't their is any lore that I know as the game expects you to of play or at least know what a battlegrounds game is. As you've seen the blue circle shrinks forcing the play field to get smaller so you'll be more likely to run into people, each circle progressively does more damage as well.

You can check the timer just above you map to see when the circle is due to start shrinking and how far it has traveled so far, you can also check the map.

There is custom servers that might run melee only but the game really isn't suited to it as it is very janky when it comes to melee and the map is pretty darn big. There are other battleground games that have a little more melee focus though.

As for the camera it is whatever suits you, I prefer FPP now but I find 3rd person a little easier to spot people and abuse bushes etc.

Top Bottom