• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

-Deimos

There seems to be something consistently "off" about shotguns in the early game...

I and many streams I have witnessed numerous ocassions where you lay into people without a helmet or armor with a shotty and then die to something lesser.

Is this a known bug or is it just de-sync lag BS?

edit:
Also, the AK is objectively worse than nearly ever other AR. The only advantage it has is close range spraying. The little bit of extra damage is not worth the stupid recoil pop and general innacuracy imo.
AK takes 1 less shot to kill for LVL 2 armor. If you can't hit anything with it, it's not the guns fault, it's yours.

Robaperas

I've been having weird fluctuations in performance lately, one day the game runs at +100fps, the next at 40fps at best. Does anyone know if this is tied to the servers or something like that? I tried removing the OC from my card, lowering settings, different server locations but the issue is still there.

Acinixys

I'd just killed 2 players and run out of handgun ammo and all I had was a nade so I wanted to see what would happen.

It seems like whenever I throw a nade and then get killed by someone shooting me, the nade either doesn't explode at all or it sounds like it explodes ~20 metres away from where I've thrown it...weird.

Nades have a timer

Cook it for 2 secs before you throw for better results

I've been having weird fluctuations in performance lately, one day the game runs at +100fps, the next at 40fps at best. Does anyone know if this is tied to the servers or something like that? I tried removing the OC from my card, lowering settings, different server locations but the issue is still there.

Ive seen reports that the game suffers from memory leaks. Its a performance issue that will have to be fixed in a patch

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There seems to be something consistently "off" about shotguns in the early game...

I and many streams I have witnessed numerous ocassions where you lay into people without a helmet or armor with a shotty and then die to something lesser.

Is this a known bug or is it just de-sync lag BS?

2 things I never trust in this game

- shotguns
- stun grenades

It's the only good one tho

They've been making really bizarre decisions with PUBG lately. I hope they reel it in, cool their obsession with streamers and paid loot boxes, because just as there is room for growth, there is room for disaster, and it's a thin line they're walking.

Vipu

Banned

Im pretty sure its somehow tied to servers, when you try test servers they are so smooth lag free that i wisj we could always play there.
Then play same patch in normal servers and even 100fps feels stuttery mess.

Hybris

My regular squad has been killing it lately. 5 games last night and we won 3, placed 2nd in the other 2. FPP has reignited my interest in this game. The month and a half break I took did wonders! I'm noticing my kill counts are way higher on average, but small sample size I suppose and it's kind of expected since we are doing well. Most squad games I'm ending with 7+ kills.

M.J. Doja

Banned
0CFB92665EC2BA033299F8DFFDE526B844BC89C2

Got my first Chicken Dinner in about 1 month of playing! Woooo!!!

Parachuted into Prison and picked up a S12k+Holo Sight right away. I hear gunshots a few buildings over. I got up to the building quickly and I hear more gunfire, the same person racking up 3 or 4 kills on the kill feed with a SKS. Luckily they were fighting on the ground floor, so I crouch walk around and catch him while he's looting his latest victim. Never saw me coming. I'm inside the first circle and the whole Prison is mine to loot.

From this I managed to net a M416 and the SKS+Ext Quickdraw, and in the remaining buildings I find a Suppressor, Cheekpad and Foregrips. Also found a 4x and 8x scope. I felt this would be my best chance to practice with a sniper rifle.

Took a bike to a building at the edge of the next circle. Camping there I hit one guy a couple times before he found cover, and fired a few shots at some vehicles in the distance. I think I hit one, but he was getting lit up already so I can't be sure. I was not doing this Silenced SKS any justice though. Still the biggest challenge remained: the circle was closing on the bridge to the military base, a perfect spot to get ambushed while driving across.

I waited until the circle was ready to shrink, my plan was to pop a Painkiller and Energy Drink and hop on the bike after tanking some circle damage... But instead I open fire on somebody down the road, managing to kill him after about 8 shots, landing 3. In the process, a UAV drives up and attempts to run me over. Somehow I evade this, pull out the M416, switch it to auto, and light that motherfucker up. I'm at about 10% health, so I pop a First Aid, then the Pills and Drink, and take the UAV. Safer than the bike, thanks guy!

Crossing the bridge, swerving, I'm unopposed until the other side. Gunfire coming from left and right, all focused on the jeep itself, but I manage to drive over a few hills and come out on the other side of a big hill. I hop out and prepare for the final crawl towards the dinner.

The silenced SKS got me one more kill, also after about 8 shots, it seemed. I hear a silenced AKM nearby, and see the kill feed dip into <10, most of the kills coming from this guy. I'm safe in the circle, and I'm looking around and seeing nobody. Before I could react, there's 3 people left already. Told myself to just wait until the 1v1. Don't rush out there, AKM guy will get you. I switch to the M416, ready to spray the fuck out of whoever I see first.

AKM guy kills the other person, just him and me now. I hear a footstep coming over the hill towards me. ADS into my 4x scope, line up the middle of his body, click and hold on for dear life. Chicken Dinner baby. Here's to the next one!

TL;DR- First chicken dinner. Silencers are damn good.

Vipu

Banned
Man if they could only fix this shit, I get a stutter like this in the same moments and when I open my inventory.

edit: is there something specific I should turn off? I have mostly everything on low/very low besides draw distance and textures. I use a 970 + i5 4690k w/ 16gbs of ram.

Dunno, that stutter rarely ever happens to me.
all very low but AA high, 1080p
970 + 7700k + 16gb 3200mhz ram + ssd + win10

Robaperas

Ive seen reports that the game suffers from memory leaks. Its a performance issue that will have to be fixed in a patch

Im pretty sure its somehow tied to servers, when you try test servers they are so smooth lag free that i wisj we could always play there.
Then play same patch in normal servers and even 100fps feels stuttery mess.

Thanks, I'll check the test server build later today.

AK takes 1 less shot to kill for LVL 2 armor. If you can't hit anything with it, it's not the guns fault, it's yours.

I get plenty of kills with it, but when you are under pressure in the late game against enemies with high level armor and helmets with low visibility, the extra recoil is a burden compared to the SCAR or M16/M4.

2 things I never trust in this game

- shotguns
- stun grenades

Yeah, after a few failed stun grenade attempts I don't bother picking them up anymore.

-Deimos

I get plenty of kills with it, but when you are under pressure in the late game against enemies with high level armor and helmets with low visibility, the extra recoil is a burden compared to the SCAR or M16/M4.

Yeah, after a few failed stun grenade attempts I don't bother picking them up anymore.
For you. That doesn't make it a bad weapon.

Palpable

This happens to me when I initially boot my PC. I have to immediately restart my PC from now on just so my performance is steady

For you. That doesn't make it a bad weapon.

Agreed. The AK is my favorite assault rifle

Sentenza

There are times when it feels like this game is telling "It's not your night, stop playing".

The shittiest loot, the shittiest zoning and the worst luck with encounters on top of that.

m29a

Neo Member
Does anyone get tired of the people who literally sit in a house corner for most of the game? Camping is obviously a key strategy at times, but I am talking people who go the extra mile with it, only feeling comfortable with their shotgun. That's the only part of the game that feels cheap. They rarely reward you for playing aggressive and pushing people. I'm one of the few that focus solely stacking kills and don't mind if I don't win or get top 10, my playstyle obviously puts me at a disadvantage for the most part. Getting 5+ kills in a game feels awesome as-is (for me).

I'll be told "get good", fair enough. But you can't deny the people camping certain corners have an advantage.

slayzz

Does anyone get tired of the people who literally sit in a house corner for most of the game? Camping is obviously a key strategy at times, but I am talking people who go the extra mile with it, only feeling comfortable with their shotgun. That's the only part of the game that feels cheap. They rarely reward you for playing aggressive and pushing people. I'm one of the few that focus solely stacking kills and don't mind if I don't win or get top 10, my playstyle obviously puts me at a disadvantage for the most part. Getting 5+ kills in a game feels awesome as-is (for me).

I'll be told "get good", fair enough. But you can't deny the people camping certain corners have an advantage.

Play in FPP server.

theJwac

Does anyone get tired of the people who literally sit in a house corner for most of the game? Camping is obviously a key strategy at times, but I am talking people who go the extra mile with it, only feeling comfortable with their shotgun.
I have a hard time seeing this as an issue and here is why: I usually can correctly determine if someone is in a house before I enter. Even if all the doors outside and inside are closed, you have to consider, where is this house in relationship to the path of the plane? How many circles have there been? If it's circle 4+, I'm almost positive someone has been in the house and I clear rooms cautiously. It all depends. I don't have the best stats, but most of my deaths happen either right away (when I am feeling suicidal enough to go for the school or air force base) or out in the open getting taken down as I move toward the circle.

Of course, based on your description, you and I have radically different play styles, so what do I know?

So, I finally got round to buying (thanks, GreenManGaming's 27% off voucher codes) and then playing this game. First match: died in a fist fight within a minute of landing (an honourable death, if nothing else). Second match: jumped out of a buggie at high speed, thinking this was GTA and ate dirt (14th place). Third match: tried to hide from an oncoming SUV in a corn field, failed (16th place). Fourth match: tried the ol' home invasion routine and turned left when I should have turned right for the camper.

This game is fun.

MUnited83

For you.
Amusingly it seems that the keys for the crates are selling for even higher now lol. I bought a few of them to resell a couple of days ago, hopefully the value holds.

HowZatOZ

Banned
They've been making really bizarre decisions with PUBG lately. I hope they reel it in, cool their obsession with streamers and paid loot boxes, because just as there is room for growth, there is room for disaster, and it's a thin line they're walking.
How are sprays a distraction or a bad decision? I barely notice them and in fact actually use them as a way to identify locations to my team. Can't really see how they need to "cool their obsession" when it's all been hot air so far from a very vocal minority on such silly issues.

SlickVic

So, I finally got round to buying (thanks, GreenManGaming's 27% off voucher codes) and then playing this game. First match: died in a fist fight within a minute of landing (an honourable death, if nothing else). Second match: jumped out of a buggie at high speed, thinking this was GTA and ate dirt (14th place). Third match: tried to hide from an oncoming SUV in a corn field, failed (16th place). Fourth match: tried the ol' home invasion routine and turned left when I should have turned right for the camper.

This game is fun.

Is GMG still sending out these codes? I heard they were a few weeks ago, but I wasn't signed up for the promotional emails then. Was wondering how often they email out these codes.

Grassy

Nades have a timer

Cook it for 2 secs before you throw for better results

I just hit 400 hours, I know nades have a timer :p

I'm talking about when you get killed just after a nade is thrown, the nade sound is either bugged or sometimes it doesn't go off at all like the nade disappears because you die. Might be a bug or something.

I try not to enter houses at all mid-late game, but I actually used the house camping tactic to win a few games yesterday. One game I had a suppressed UMP with red dot and an M249 with 4x and the other I had a compensated UMP and AKM both with red dots, so it made more sense to hole up and sneak about until the end. The second game I got my lowest kills in a win by only killing the 2 last players, which felt pretty lame but I outplayed them and got the dinner...

I honestly normally don't go for the win as I always try and get a Kar98 or SKS near the start of the game, then pick a nice sniping spot with plenty of traffic like just west of the school near Rozhok. It usually ends with me having 2 or 3 players shooting at me and a car trying to run me over...if I happen to get the circle or into the top 10, then I go into "win" mode. Lately if I find a crossbow at the start of the game I'll roll with it and try and get some nice crossbow kills too.

ironmang

Just got this game a few hours ago and won on like my 3rd try lol. 2nd round after turning all the settings down to lowest so I'm not in slideshow mode. Jiggle peeking stair campers for like half my kills.

Magwik

Banned
I told my friend that I prefer to play the game in borderless fullscreen with VSYNC on and it apparently gave him a heart attack. Any other weirdos like me out there.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, first time that's happened to me. I was sheltering from a red zone inside the 3/4 enclosed tower of a church hoping that would be far enough from the edge. I still died. :(

ryan299

Is GMG still sending out these codes? I heard they were a few weeks ago, but I wasn't signed up for the promotional emails then. Was wondering how often they email out these codes.

I got mine last thursday. Signed up earlier in the week right after they sent one out. Seems to be common but who knows.

Got my first win. It was part of a squad but two kids didn't have mics and one was lagging. I'll take it lol.

Top Bottom