• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Tovarisc

Fuck this game!

EBO8EPL.jpg

Narrowly escaped a guy stalking me down. Almost had me. Ducked behind a rock to heal, then peaked my head over it to kill him. Then had a 3 headshot kill streak. 2 people left. Play area restricted to a tiny circle. I guess the first guy that moves loses and I should have stayed put. But I started running and boom... headshot out of nowhere. Should have just tried to outheal the final blue circle damage with my tons of medkits and bandages :(

You can't. It deals so much damage / second that no amount of meds is going to help you and keep you alive. You just got out positioned and moved too early.

Smaller the circle easier it becomes to try figure out and guess where that last one or last two players are in relation to your location.

Podge293

finally got my second solo victory. this one was much better than the first. i was best placed at the end, his frag nearly got me (think mine before it got him). a crap shoot of who hit who first after that.

the rush you get when you win. havent felt it in a MP game in a long long time

BoZLhbR.jpg

dsk1210

So I picked this up yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that I managed to get it running at a pretty solid 60fps except the lobby area.

Using the Steam Controller and finally got it set how I like it, even made the movement in the left joystick more analogue by adjusting the outer radial to walk (left control) and inverting the radial settings. So now walk, jog and sprint.

Really enjoyed my time with it, still getting used to it and the nearest I got was in the top 20 with no kills lol.

Lifeline

i don't understand how it's possible to win at this game

i've seen streamers do it, i have friends who have done it, obviously there's a winner in every match i've played

but i still just can't fathom it

Almost everytime I've won or reached top 10, I've noticed the big difference is that I get a car early on. Being able to get to the circle really fast, camp in the middle of nowhere, and quickly get in and out of high loot locations keeps me alive and well armed for the early to mid game. I ditch the car when the circle gets really small and then it's all up to skill and positioning.

So I would recommend dropping in locations with vehicles and grabbing that first instead of other loot and just driving away to a less busy town to scavenge.

JDB

Banned
I feel like I get most of my solo wins in the rain. Everyone just seems so much less aware of their surroundings and I'm constantly catching people off guard.

Tovarisc

I feel like I get most of my solo wins in the rain. Everyone just seems so much less aware of their surroundings and I'm constantly catching people off guard.

Big part is that rain is obnoxiously loud (I always need to lower game volume so I can play without discomfort to my hearing) and renders all other, but close range unsuppressed shots unhearable.

Tovarisc

Does anyone know a way to see times for US for the PUBG gamescom tournament?

What are CEST times for it? All I could find was https://battlegrounds.gamepedia.com/Gamescom_Invitational_2017 so not sure if those are accurate.

Anyways lets say that 23rd, 11AM CEST is accurate then US times are https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=12,5,8&h=5&date=2017-8-23&sln=5-6 You can handily use that site to convert all times you want.

--------

In other news people should consider binding jump and crouch to e.g. Shift + Space for easier crouch jumps over railings. How to: https://clips.twitch.tv/CourteousSmoothGazelleCoolStoryBro?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url If that way doesn't work there is .ini way of doing it too.

Woffls

Just got killed because I thought a door was glitched to appear open when it was closed. Turns out someone did actually open it :( I could tell from the sound of it closing that it was genuinely open, but by then it was too late.

Just had a weird glitch with a jeep.

Was driving in a UAZ in a solo game when somebody started shooting me and chasing me on a motorcycle. I get a little ways away from them when I crash the jeep into one of the concrete shacks. So, the jeep is facing right into the shack but the shack is next to a hillside with the jeep slightly on the decline of a hill. I go to exit the car when I must have glitched out because all of a sudden I'm in first person view clipping through the jeep, unable to move. Next thing I know, the guy on the motorcycle is getting out to investigate and apparently can't see me, cause he's looking everywhere around the shack and the jeep. Eventually he's crouched behind my jeep and the only thing I can do is to reenter the jeep, which I do and as I start to back up, I run the guy crouched behind me over.

It felt like a super cheap kill but eh, physics.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My friend let my share his Steam library to try this so I'm downloading it now, I'm intrigued to see what all the fuss is about honestly, overtaking Counter Strike is pretty huge.

Acinixys

My friend let my share his Steam library to try this so I'm downloading it now, I'm intrigued to see what all the fuss is about honestly, overtaking Counter Strike is pretty huge.

Beyond the game being really good, its the ease of use that people love

If I want to play Battlefield it takes me 5+ minutes to open the game, find a server and then load in

In PUBG its like 1 minute max for all of that to happen

LowParry

Is the game pretty solo friendly at all? Not sure if I could get friends on board to play but I've seen enough streams to know I'd probably have a lot of fun with this game.

Tovarisc

Is the game pretty solo friendly at all? Not sure if I could get friends on board to play but I've seen enough streams to know I'd probably have a lot of fun with this game.

It's. Tons of people do only solo queue. Also if you really want to you can queue into Duo and Squad as solo, get randos as teammates or play solo against teams.

You also can join GAFBG Discord and join our whacky team up trains.

LowParry

It's. Tons of people do only solo queue. Also if you really want to you can queue into Duo and Squad as solo, get randos as teammates or play solo against teams.

You also can join GAFBG Discord and join our whacky team up trains.

I'm down for that. And this had two modes of 3rd person and 1st person?

Divius

Mk14 is fun. Found myself a nice quiet spot with decent buildings/walls for cover and was like a turret taking shots in all directions. Cars, building, straglers.

Thing is, the Mk14 is also fucking L O U D so it attracts people from every corner of the map. I felt like my isolated position was the hotspot of the game for a portion of the game with people actually getting in firefights with each other trying to get to me. Ended up with 8 or 9 kills before I finally got overwhelmed. That gun is crazy.

Moondrop

Banned
I came in second twice today. Feels bad.

First time just started taking hits from nowhere. Then just now the final circle was completely in his favor and would've required me to crawl across a dirt trail. So first I prayed and sprayed with my silenced AK. Then I lobbed a grenade and tried to be aggressive. Really at a loss; think I should probably step away.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got my first chicken dinner in 4 player, my friends carried hard ofc but I got a kill so I'm happy lol. I think I'll buy it myself, it's buggy as fuck and runs poorly but it's fun. I can definitely see the appeal.

Third time I enter a game and it looks like only the far lod models have loaded in, when that happens is it the same for everyone on the server or only the player?

I came in second twice today. Feels bad.

#2 and #3 today. I think once I'm in one of the final circles, I should only crawl around on the ground. Standing up at all at that point is death.

At least the guy that killed me in the last game ate it while lookting my stuff. Fucker.

Erheller

Curious why you think it was/is trash. Thought I saw you on the CSGO community thread fairly often.

I'm not him, but CSGO at launch was terrible (it was a much better game a year or so after release). Balance was awful (P90 was actually OP), movement was sluggish, matchmaking was broken (or was it nonexistant? I can't remember), and the game just didn't feel as *good* as previous iterations. All the pros played a bit of CSGO and then went back to playing 1.6 or Source.

Oh, and no weapon skins
/s

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't get the game to run smoothly, even on very low preset. It hitches a lot and the frame rate is all over the place, plus my frame rate halves every time I open the inventory. I've put 5 hours into the game and I can see the appeal but it's so poor technically that I'm struggling to fully enjoy it.

Top Bottom