• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Goon Boon

Banned
As someone who is interested in homebrew but likes playing stuff online, whats the highest firmware I can upgrade to while still being able to play online?

jiggles

Banned
Stop It said:
Indeed, those beeps are like a countdown or something?

I think they're probably just markers geohot had in the code to confirm successful execution of certain commands as the jailbreak ran. Either that, or he's just fucking with our minds to give us that "Oh SHIT, it's broke" feeling for a second. :lol

yurinka

jamaniek said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but even if Sony ban a console instead of a PSN account, wouldn't we just change a serial number via software? A whole OS is now open, right?
yep, like they did in ps3 previously with app ids instead of console ids. But they could ban your psn account, so you would loose your trophies, friends and purchased games, purchased DLC, DLC got with special editions or other kind of codes, PSN+ subscriptions etc.

But this would mean serious business because you already paid for the games etc. so it would be a legal trouble for them too.

In PSP they were less fucked and just released new firmwares with minor changes to avoid the problem temporally and avoiding pirates to use their PSN bandwith with pirated games and homebrew / not signed apps.

KAL2006

Banned
So how come an ISOloader has not released yet, is it not possible. Some of the first homebrew apps are usually ISOloader, Doom, Genesis/SNES/NES emulators, media player and etc.

I give it 1 week until we get all of those above things

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SwiftSketcher said:
And wow, is a Wii emulator really possible on the PS3? That sounds crazy, considering that even PS2 games can never be emulated.
Gaming hardware is not defined by "how good its games look". Emulating a less powerful console might be harder, and require more resources, than a more powerful one.
It depends on its architecture, and how similar it is to the host system.

KAL2006 said:
So how come an ISOloader has not released yet, is it not possible. Some of the first homebrew apps are usually ISOloader, Doom, Genesis/SNES/NES emulators, media player and etc.

Dude, the CFW was released less than 24 hours ago :p

darkwing

KAL2006 said:

i'd give it a few days, just need to sign those 3.41 apps

KAL2006

Banned
One thing I don't understand, I thought you can play homebrew on official firmware because of the leaked keys. So why do we need CFW.

angelfly

darkwing said:
i'd give it a few days, just need to sign those 3.41 apps
No, they'd need to sign the app and modify the jailbreak with the needed system calls. A backup loader without them can only do direct boot which works with less than 10% of PS3 games. Most loader have already removed the feature since it was pretty useless considering how many games it works with.

wwm0nkey said:
I really dont even care if I get banned from PSN I really only play SP games on the thing anyway. I still HIGHLY doubt they will ban they will probably just do what they did with the PSP.

Also for those asking about how the emulator runs...it runs AMAZINGLY!

Hmm, I might just do this tonight. Seems easy enough.

*prays to Based God that I won't get banned*

Borman

KAL2006 said:
One thing I don't understand, I thought you can play homebrew on official firmware because of the leaked keys. So why do we need CFW.
To install packages, since we have no other way (yet).

KAL2006 said:
How do you install the homebrew applications? Via PSN? ;)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KAL2006 said:
To install homebrew.

darkwing

KAL2006 said:

you still need a way to install the homebrew :D if you check the OFW there is no install manager thingy installed by default

angelfly said:
No, they'd need to sign the app and modify the jailbreak with the needed system calls. A backup loader without them can only do direct boot which works with less than 10% of PS3 games. Most loader have already removed the feature since it was pretty useless considering how many games it works with.

ahh thanks for the clarification, yeah that was the problem with the early release, but still it wouldn't be too hard

besiktas1

KAL2006 said:

From what I understand there is no way to install the pkg with cfw. Putting in a usb it wont just show up, it needs to be installed on your triple.

Once installed though you can go back to ofw IF you want and it still works. Or so I've heard :) I'm waiting for open manager to work before I try :)

Let's please try to avoid a lot of debate about will you/won't you get banned from PSN. For right now, everyone should assume that any PS3 utilizing any form of CFW or homebrew will be banned if it ever logs into PSN until we receive concrete data one way or another.

itxaka said:
How do the compiled pkg fell into this? If they are compiled with the psligth they are supposed to be legal, but there is no way of knowing their status right?

NeoGAF is not and does not claim to be an authority on the minute matters of legality across a variety of jurisdictions. We are interested in keeping off of the site links to pirated commercial content and things like direct downloads of leaked SDKs, not homebrew apps. Signed package releases of independently created homebrew apps that don't themselves include any other problematic content should be fine; if you're uncertain, PM a moderator before posting.

darkwing

besiktas1 said:
From what I understand there is no way to install the pkg with cfw. Putting in a usb it wont just show up, it needs to be installed on your triple.

Once installed though you can go back to ofw IF you want and it still works. Or so I've heard :) I'm waiting for open manager to work before I try :)

yes, and you just go back to cfw if you want to install something again, so on and so forth

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
charlequin said:
NeoGAF is not and does not claim to be an authority on the minute matters of legality across a variety of jurisdictions. We are interested in keeping off of the site links to pirated commercial content and things like direct downloads of leaked SDKs, not homebrew apps. Signed package releases of independently created homebrew apps that don't themselves include any other problematic content should be fine; if you're uncertain, PM a moderator before posting.

I would think linking to modified official firmware would be a no no.

Jucksalbe said:
So, if you installed what homebrew you needed on the PS3, you can just go back to OFW and the installed software will still work?

I'm curious about this too. However, I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't be safe to take it on PSN. So I'm not sure if it even matters.

3rdman

Jucksalbe said:
So, if you installed what homebrew you needed on the PS3, you can just go back to OFW and the installed software will still work?
I don't think anyone has reported back on that but since you are running signed apps, I don't see why not...

itxaka

Defeatist
Can anybody try to get a proxy between ps3 and psn and substitute the home/life with playstation files with a homebrew pkg?

It used to be able to install demos this way some time ago. No idea if it's still working but who knows.

I'm seriously tempted by this. I do all my online playing on PC/360, so PSN loss is no big deal except for access to the store. It's not like I'm going to upgrade my PS3's FW now anyway so I'll be stuck offline soon enough. Wonder how long before the next FW comes out. Probably this week, right?

I would NOT install this and go on PSN with it. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Sony won't ban either your console or the account (less likely). This is going to be war.

Fatghost said:
Wii is a power pc + fairly standard GPU. PS3 is a power pc + fairly standard GPU, but a fair but more powerful. So it's an easier process for an emulator than the totally different set ups of PS2 and PS3

I seriously doubt this will ever happen, don't get your hopes up. Basically a good rule of thumb is: If it doesn't exist for PC, then it's not going to exist for PS3 (Xbox 1) and if it takes a monster rig to run on PC (Wii/GC) then it will probably run like poop on the PS3, IF it ever gets ported at all.

I HOPE I'm wrong but I know I'm not.

Tonedeff said:
Question: What do file managers do? I here some people talking about them, but i don't understand what they're for.

You know how you copy and paste from one destination to another like on a computer, it's features like that a file manager enables a user to do on system, Rename etc, browse directories, rename directories. Im sure the website list what actual features that file manager offers.

lol...24 hours in and we have working Snes and Genny emulators. :lol :lol

I saw a few pages back that you can play SNES games at 1080p? I'd love to see some screenshots, as if the system can play SNES games with graphical enhancements, like on my PC, I may very well be sold on installing CFW.

After all, my system is currently backing up, and I'll be installing a 500gb hard drive on my triple tonight. woot

Is this ok to do and still use Netflix and stuff? I'm guessing not. I may have to wait on this until I get a new Xbox. Need a dedicated Netflix machine. This is incredibly exciting...

entrement said:
I don't care about emulators on the PS3. What other current benefits does the CFW offer?

All that the CFW lets you do it install homebrew applications.

Right now, it seems people only care about getting emulators up at running, but the CFW will let people install anything once someone gets around to creating it

Basically, no one has created anything that interests you right now, but the current CFW will still allow you to add applications in the future that may interests you

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Superblatt said:
lol...24 hours in and we have working Snes and Genny emulators. :lol :lol

I saw a few pages back that you can play SNES games at 1080p? I'd love to see some screenshots, as if the system can play SNES games with graphical enhancements, like on my PC, I may very well be sold on installing CFW.

After all, my system is currently backing up, and I'll be installing a 500gb hard drive on my triple tonight. woot

Well, the emulators have been available since September or so but they were alphas.

Top Bottom