• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

N.A

Banned
So I just copied my Portal 2 disc to my 3.55 console, now how do I decrypt the eboot? Copy the eboot to a usb and then decrypt it on my pc?

What are the steps involved here?

Copy the whole folder to your PC (some games have multiple files that need decrypting).
Download a version of ebootfix with the 3.60 keys included.
Drag the PS3_GAME folder onto the ebootfix.exe.
Copy the files from the [RETAIL] folder back to your PS3.

Copy the whole folder to your PC (some games have multiple files that need decrypting).

Thanks for this.

MMaRsu

Banned

Pfff copy the entire folder? Damn. I was hoping just to put the eboot in the program like I just tried but when booting up Portal 2 a weird ass exclamation mark came up haha.

Ok I'll copy it over thanks though :). Any word on that new thread?

N.A

Banned
Pfff copy the entire folder? Damn. I was hoping just to put the eboot in the program like I just tried but when booting up Portal 2 a weird ass exclamation mark came up haha.

Ok I'll copy it over thanks though :). Any word on that new thread?

Working on it, hopefully up in the next couple of days.

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn can't get Portal 2 to work. I dragged the Ps3_Game folder into the ebootfix thing by deank, and then it got busy. Then I copied the retail portal 2 stuff into my original backup folder, and I copied it back to the Ps3 internal's HDD.

I tried it and got booted back to the XMB, no error message or anything. Then when I tried it again with Multiman it said the game couldnt be launched from internal so I transfered it to the external HDD. But still getting kicked back to the XMB :(

N.A

Banned
Damn can't get Portal 2 to work. I dragged the Ps3_Game folder into the ebootfix thing by deank, and then it got busy. Then I copied the retail portal 2 stuff into my original backup folder, and I copied it back to the Ps3 internal's HDD.

I tried it and got booted back to the XMB, no error message or anything. Then when I tried it again with Multiman it said the game couldnt be launched from internal so I transfered it to the external HDD. But still getting kicked back to the XMB :(

There are a few games with problems atm. I'm sure fixes will come over the next few days.

I can't get Arkham City working for the life of me. I press X to load the game on XMB and then it flashes the green install bar for a moment which shows it at 100% and then the screen goes black. The install isn't happening properly for some reason. I've tried everything.

I'm not in any rush to get it working on my CFW PS3 because I have an OFW PS3 and I've already played the game ages ago. Just my OCD wanting to get it archived on my hard drive. :p

I guess I should just wait till these up-to-date keys are released and we won't need to mess around with any of these patches right?

jediyoshi

Try dragging just the eboot over ebootMOD.exe? Should just create a file named MODIFIED_EBOOT.BIN, rename to eboot and copy back over.

This is exciting!

But does this open the door for an easy way to downgrading one's updated FW? Seems like some are saying yes, others no.

If my system is on 3.70 fw, what are my options to go back to CFW?

Wait a few days/weeks for the 3.7 keys to be released, assuming they're coming, and all signs are pointing that way. The other option is complicated and not worth the time/money with 3.7 keys on the horizon.

I think your SOL.

Which is it?

jediyoshi

You're SOL either way seeing as your ability to downgrade would still hinge on someone working on a downgrade method. Ultimately your only option is just waiting it out if you're actually interested.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep, so far a downgrade to 3.55 is needed. Only time will tell if someone manages to find a way to trick/hack the PS3 on firmware 3.60+ to accept CFW .pup files.

N.A., is there instructions to add the new keys to our 3.55 PS3 somehow? Is it as simple as FTP'ing a few edited files over or what? I'd rather just stay on 3.55 and add the new keys than mess around with installing a new firmware.

jediyoshi

N.A., is there instructions to add the new keys to our 3.55 PS3 somehow? Is it as simple as FTP'ing a few edited files over or what? I'd rather just stay on 3.55 and add the new keys than mess around with installing a new firmware.

Functionally, the keys are just allowing people to edit existing eboots and play games on 3.55 cfw. It'll take someone to actually develop cfw hooks to bypass the user having to do anything.

Functionally, the keys are just allowing people to edit existing eboots and play games on 3.55 cfw. It'll take someone to actually develop cfw hooks to bypass the user having to do anything.
True. Sony hasnt added much of anything useful in firmware updates post 3.55 anyways that I can recall so im in no rush for a new CFW.

But with adding the keys to 3.55 ourselves, we can bypass having to edit the eboots individually right?

If its easy to do I wouldn't mind doing just that.

jediyoshi

But with adding the keys to 3.55 ourselves, we can bypass having to edit the eboots individually right?

Again, functionally for most end users, all it's allowing people to do is modify existing eboots to get those specific games working. There's currently no workaround with current cfw that allows someone to make use of these keys to bypass that first step. If anything, developers are just working on making new cfw out of newer versions.

Dalthien

True. Sony hasnt added much of anything useful in firmware updates post 3.55 anyways that I can recall so im in no rush for a new CFW.

Supposedly, Rogero is working on a new cfw to do just that.

Again, functionally for most end users, all it's allowing people to do is modify existing eboots to get those specific games working. There's currently no workaround with current cfw that allows someone to make use of these keys to bypass that first step. If anything, developers are just working on making new cfw out of newer versions.
Ah okay I see what your saying now.

Supposedly, Rogero is working on a new cfw to do just that.
Good news. What about kmeaw?

ssowinski

In plain english, what do I have to do to make my 3.41 ps3 play the newer games? Upgrade to 3.55 cfw first right? Then decrypt any eboots before installing to the hard drive?

Whats the best path to get 3.55 cfw from 3.41 original. I still use the dongle for 3.41 and multiman which works fine.

So I went and bought a copy of Silent Hill Downpour, installed the fix. It boots up, shows the 3d warning screen and then goes to black screen and never resumes. Any word on why this happens?

Edit: Solved, you need to have a game disc in, not just a movie blu-ray.

OG Kush

Guys I wanted CFW, my ps3 is on 4.00 right now (I hardly use it as 360 is my primary). What should I do? Upgrade to the newest official and then go from there?

Top Bottom