• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

curttard

Banned
All I want is something that will let me play Journey. I was hoping when the PSN workaround came out last month that I could finally go online and buy it, but people that did that reported that it still wouldn't run on their CFW ps3s.

Tess3ract

Banned
All I want is something that will let me play Journey. I was hoping when the PSN workaround came out last month that I could finally go online and buy it, but people that did that reported that it still wouldn't run on their CFW ps3s.
Give it a few more months before you can do that.

curttard

Banned
I hope so. I'm very tempted to just give up and go to official firmware, and I will definitely do so if nothing has been figured out by the time Last of Us comes out. Journey is actually one of the games that made me buy a PS3. If it weren't 2-3 hours I would have broken down by now.

N.A

Banned
Same here. This page reads like mumbo jumbo to me. Somebody explain it to us mortals

• A method to change retail firmware to debug firmware (DEX) has been released.
  • Debug Firmware allows playing games from HDD via built-in BDEMU.
  • You can install 4.11 Debug Firmware to play newer games and still have homebrew.
  • The method is still very complex and risky atm, people are working on making it easier.
  • Once a foolproof method is released i'll add a guide to the wiki.
  • Debug firmware allows you to downgrade to the earliest FW version your PS3 came with so you can easily get back to 3.55.

• You can install 4.11 Debug Firmware to play newer games and still have homebrew.
  • The method is still very complex and risky atm, people are working on making it easier.
  • Debug firmware allows you to downgrade to the earliest FW version your PS3 came with so you can easily get back to 3.55.

Wow that sounds significant. Thanks for the break up.

Like everything that has happened since Geohot got sued it sounds too good to be true. Is it real or is it just some shady video a guy has released?

Borman

Like everything that has happened since Geohot got sued it sounds too good to be true. Is it real or is it just some shady video a guy has released?

People have been able to replicate it. It isn't truly a DEX console though, some missing features (like HDCP disable :()

barrico

Banned
Noob question, I have PS3 with 40 GB internal HDD now I want to upgrade it, with the CFW, will I loose my old purchased PSN games if I did this upgrade ??

N.A

Banned

Games are already confirmed running such as MW3, ME3 and Dragons Dogma. It's real, the scene is just scrambling to make it as easy and safe as possible to install (hopefully there will be a version that doesnt need linux).

Noob question, I have PS3 with 40 GB internal HDD now I want to upgrade it, with the CFW, will I loose my old purchased PSN games if I did this upgrade ??

There are tools released to backup your licences. Search ReactPSN.

Neither. Still stands where it was a year ago. Seems its only about pirating the latest games and trying to access the PSN.

Not entirely true. Showtime media center is pretty awesome and can play most files easily now. Pretty much all consoles up to the 16-bit era are emulated great with good frontends. ScummVM is ported and works.

curttard

Banned
Games are already confirmed running such as MW3, ME3 and Dragons Dogma. It's real, the scene is just scrambling to make it as easy and safe as possible to install (hopefully there will be a version that doesnt need linux)..

What is it that makes it impossible to run PSN games like Journey? Why can retail games be modified but not the PSN games? It seems especially odd since for awhile the PSN games were being full-on cracked and pirated, now you can't even play a legit, purchased release with a fully hacked debug console?

N.A

Banned
What is it that makes it impossible to run PSN games like Journey? Why can retail games be modified but not the PSN games? It seems especially odd since for awhile the PSN games were being full-on cracked and pirated, now you can't even play a legit, purchased release with a fully hacked debug console?

Retail games do not need licences to play. If its possible to edit license files on these new DEX firmwares then PSN games (and piracy) will work. If you can access the PSN store from these firmwares then purchased games should also work as long as the FW version required is lower than the firmware you're on.

So, now I can downgrade my ps3 from the latest firmware?

Edit: Yeah, it seems I can't.

If you have a PS3 that has at one point had 3.55 or lower you can do a hardware downgrade with a NOR flasher. It is very complex though.

I kind of wish I didn't upgrade my PS3 now. I upgraded from 4.11 to 4.20 around the 20th and I really haven't even used it that much online until yesterday when I finally got around to playing Peace Walker coop (oh my god it's amazing).

Is there any good PS3 media player homebrew? That along with the ability to play nearly any retail game would completely sell me on downgrading at some point in the future.

xero273

I kind of wish I didn't upgrade my PS3 now. I upgraded from 4.11 to 4.20 around the 20th and I really haven't even used it that much online until yesterday when I finally got around to playing Peace Walker coop (oh my god it's amazing).

Is there any good PS3 media player homebrew? That along with the ability to play nearly any retail game would completely sell me on downgrading at some point in the future.

Pretty sure everyone uses Showtime Media Center. It didn't work out for me when I used it but everyone else likes it.

Yep, they've just released eboots for these:

-Splinter Cell Trilogy HD
-Batman Arkham City

Also:

We announced in advance last week that E3TEAM will release a great news for all ps3 user.

Here is our official claim:

1: E3TEAM will release all PS3 game free in public.

* It allow any 3.55CFW play all the new game without dongle.

2: E3TEAM will release the new key free in public.

* User can decrypt the new game by himself in few seconds.

megaton!

Gvaz

Banned
They prolly realized that no one's going to buy their shit anymore since everyone's gonna keep cracking them and they're simply releasing their work and trying to do something else.

N.A

Banned
They prolly realized that no one's going to buy their shit anymore since everyone's gonna keep cracking them and they're simply releasing their work and trying to do something else.

Yeah, I'd assume they realized with DEX getting easier everyone would have moved to that. So now they can gain goodwill as well as keep people on 3.55 and sell their dual nand/nor and flasher accessories. I guess they want to be the Team Xecuter of the PS3 scene.

N.A

Banned
What ever happened to that N64 emu lol?

Last news was September last year and they had made lots of progress. However it's been dead since then. The creators are still working on the Wii version though so maybe interest will come back if the PS3 scene picks up.

MMaRsu

Banned
Last news was September last year and they had made lots of progress. However it's been dead since then. The creators are still working on the Wii version though so maybe interest will come back if the PS3 scene picks up.

Damn I hope so man, this scene has been so dead.

PSGames

Yep, they've just released eboots for these:

-Splinter Cell Trilogy HD
-Batman Arkham City

Also:

megaton!

Interesting. I literally just posted my 3.55 PS3 on craigslist an hour ago. Might keep it just in case now. And I had no idea about this Showtime Media Player. Definitely need a new thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont want to sound too negative, but i cant see how the scene will really pick up after this. Releasing the decryption keys just means that there will be more piracy and easier to play backups on firmware 3.55. TrueBlue dongle have excisted for quite some time now, so it isnt like playing newer games on 3.55 havnt been possible before either. I cant see how the scene (besides easier to play games) will change much.

Gvaz

Banned
I dont want to sound too negative, but i cant see how the scene will really pick up after this. Releasing the decryption keys just means that there will be more piracy and easier to play backups on firmware 3.55. TrueBlue dongle have excisted for quite some time now, so it isnt like playing newer games on 3.55 havnt been possible before either. I cant see how the scene (besides easier to play games) will change much.
That's what most people want it for, including people in this thread, though good luck getting anyone to admit that here on gaf because it's bannable.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's what most people want it for, including people in this thread, though good luck getting anyone to admit that here on gaf because it's bannable.
It could be, but personally i'm more interested to see what people can make of homebrew and stuff like that. I need online play, so being able to play games on older firmware without PSN access isnt that interesting to me. I'm still interesting in seeing the progress regarding the PS3 hacking though.

The homebrew guys don't make money out of it, they do it for the prestige (at least in my opinion). The more interest there is in a scene, the more prestige there is. Given the sudden revival of this thread it's fair to say there's suddenly renewed interest in the PS3 scene... which in turn will hopefully lead to more homebrew guys taking more of an interest and getting involved.

Dalthien

It's a process. If E3 follows through with what they said, then the biggest boost to the homebrew scene will be the fact that TrueBlue will be effectively removed from the picture.

TrueBlue has been the biggest impediment to the scene for a long time now. They implemented a "piracy for sale" policy which means that the people who have figured out how to run homebrew on recent firmwares have kept that knowledge to themselves in order to promote their own financial gain.

Once the piracy portion of the scene transitions from "piracy for sale" to "piracy free for all" then the financial incentives no longer exist for the people who have been hoarding the knowledge. As the weeks pass by without any financial incentive in place, the people with the knowledge will become more and more likely to release the info to the public anonymously because the knowledge won't have any value any longer.

And once people can start running homebrew on recent firmwares, then the developers will start returning and working on different ideas again. There was a good flurry of developer activity back when 3.41 and 3.55 cfws were running on current firmwares, because there was a large group of people who could use the homebrew being worked on. As the scene stalled out at 3.55, fewer and fewer people were left running the old firmware, so there were fewer and fewer people who wanted to work on any homebrew for such a tiny audience.

The release of the CEX2DEX process is what finally broke through the stranglehold that TrueBlue has had on the scene. Switching to a DEX firmware is still a pain-in-the-ass for the average joe at the moment, but people will keep working on simplifying the process and making it easier for people to do themselves. That's why E3 has seemingly given up on going ahead with their own dongle. By releasing a method for people to decrypt games themselves that will run on 3.55, they will try to keep people on 3.55 as long as possible so that they can keep selling their downgrade kits to people. But with TrueBlue being neutered, and the financial incentives being removed for piracy, it seems only a matter of time until either the CEX2DEX method becomes easy enough for the average person to do themselves, or until a true 4.2+ cfw is released, or both. And at that point, the homebrew scene should start to pick up and flourish once more because homebrew will be accessible by large numbers of people again.

What do they mean PS3 free game? Like literally links to download all PS3 games?

Links to eboots which will allow 3.6+ games to run on a 3.55cfw. And/or it sounds like they will release a method for people to decrypt their own eboots for any game to run on 3.55cfw.

test_account

XP-39C²
The homebrew guys don't make money out of it, they do it for the prestige (at least in my opinion). The more interest there is in a scene, the more prestige there is. Given the sudden revival of this thread it's fair to say there's suddenly renewed interest in the PS3 scene... which in turn will hopefully lead to more homebrew guys taking more of an interest and getting involved.
Maybe, but i cant see this happening. Maybe you see a few more games being ported over, but i dont expect to see a huge surge in homebrew support and cool stuff. But we'll see :)

It's a process. If E3 follows through with what they said, then the biggest boost to the homebrew scene will be the fact that TrueBlue will be effectively removed from the picture.

TrueBlue has been the biggest impediment to the scene for a long time now. They implemented a "piracy for sale" policy which means that the people who have figured out how to run homebrew on recent firmwares have kept that knowledge to themselves in order to promote their own financial gain.

Once the piracy portion of the scene transitions from "piracy for sale" to "piracy free for all" then the financial incentives no longer exist for the people who have been hoarding the knowledge. As the weeks pass by without any financial incentive in place, the people with the knowledge will become more and more likely to release the info to the public anonymously because the knowledge won't have any value any longer.

And once people can start running homebrew on recent firmwares, then the developers will start returning and working on different ideas again. There was a good flurry of developer activity back when 3.41 and 3.55 cfws were running on current firmwares, because there was a large group of people who could use the homebrew being worked on. As the scene stalled out at 3.55, fewer and fewer people were left running the old firmware, so there were fewer and fewer people who wanted to work on any homebrew for such a tiny audience.

The release of the CEX2DEX process is what finally broke through the stranglehold that TrueBlue has had on the scene. Switching to a DEX firmware is still a pain-in-the-ass for the average joe at the moment, but people will keep working on simplifying the process and making it easier for people to do themselves. That's why E3 has seemingly given up on going ahead with their own dongle. By releasing a method for people to decrypt games themselves that will run on 3.55, they will try to keep people on 3.55 as long as possible so that they can keep selling their downgrade kits to people. But with TrueBlue being neutered, and the financial incentives being removed for piracy, it seems only a matter of time until either the CEX2DEX method becomes easy enough for the average person to do themselves, or until a true 4.2+ cfw is released, or both. And at that point, the homebrew scene should start to pick up and flourish once more because homebrew will be accessible by large numbers of people again.
I cant really see that people refuse to make homebrew just/mainly because of TrueBlue. There are apparently several of developers who have all the decryption keys, but wont release them because they think it will mostly just lead to more piracy. These people dont have any financial gain in this case. As far as i know, there isnt a solution out there, free or not, that allows homebrew to be run at firmware higher than 3.56.

Sure, but back in the 3.41 and 3.55 days everything of this was new. I think that was the biggest reason for the activity going on.

By the way, E3 are about to release is the apploader keys only, at least from what i understand. This mean that you can decrypt the eboots and stuff like that, but this alone is not a step closer to CFW 4.20+. As you say, E3 most likely does what they do (if they go through with it) as an attempt to make people buy their downgrade kit, so they want people to stay on lower firmware. Technically it really isnt that much different from what TB does. E3 seems to play the piracy card in an attempt to sell their product, it is just that the sales angle is quite different.

But yeah, it depends to see if the apploader keys get out there, if the other developers will release all the other stuff as well. If CFW 4.20+ is possible, this will also kill off E3's business plan.

I understand what your (and endlessflood's) point of view on this, and it could be the outcome for all that i know. But only time will tell =)

I have a FAT that died 2 years ago (then I bought a slim). I went to a repair console shop and they told me that it will cost me 100$ to repair it, so I said no. But now I thought that his firmware is lower than 3.55, and if I repair it I could use it as "secondary" PS3 for homebrew.

But I already have a homebrew Wii and PSP. There is anything interesting on PS3 scene that is not on Wii or PSP?

Can someone explain exactly what eboots are?
Why are they releasing eboots for different games so slowly?
Are they trying to generate marketing for their products?

From what I understand, with the knowledge they have they can make eboots pretty easily, but they are releasing one or two per day.

Top Bottom