• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Not good at all. If they took until April 13th to hit 7 million, then that means the pace has slowed down considerably even with Ground Zeroes and Second Son releasing. I'm now smacking myself in the head as this invariably confirms that Xbone won March's NPD and Sony is trying to cushion the blow by letting people know they surpassed 7 million units. Pretty sad, but whatever gets people cheering.

What?

Not good at all. If they took until April 13th to hit 7 million, then that means the pace has slowed down considerably even with Ground Zeroes and Second Son releasing. I'm now smacking myself in the head as this invariably confirms that Xbone won March's NPD and Sony is trying to cushion the blow by letting people know they surpassed 7 million units. Pretty sad, but whatever gets people cheering.

Yes. About 800k or so in March is just terrible.

PS4 software sales also remain strong with more than 20.5 million*2 copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of April 13, 2014 (JST)

So Attach rate is around 2.93 now. Pretty sure it's improving lol

Jeff-DSA

With Titanfall and some crazy deals/bundles, there was no way that Sony was going to win the March NPD. If they did manage to win March, MS would be in some serious trouble.

Gorillaz

^yea 3 extra million in 7 months does seem doable

Thanks to the help of playroom, ps4's killer app, this thing is flying off the shelves.

I've been saying that since the jimmy fallon/Ice T presentation on late night. That right there was a killer app in a ironic way lol

The numbers are really impressive.
Especially considering there are a lot of people (including myself) still holding back until more software is revealed - I was the sort of consumer who'd have bought at launch (did so with the PS3) so I'm certain demand will continue for quite a time.

Pain

Banned
Well, if they're announcing it right before NPD it means that they're pretty confident in the results.
It means they're pulling a Microsoft and doing preemptive damage control.

Microsoft deserves March though. They really had a lot of great deals and bundles.

dakun

Microsoft to announce they've reached 6 mil next week.

no way they are that close sold through.. maybe shipped..

The xbox one is basically dead in Germany even though there are no PS4 to be found in the wild.. the rest of Europe looks very similar to that..The US alone won't be able to keep the Xbox within 1 million units 6 months after release.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think Sony's shipments by region are consistent enough for that.
We have NPD and sales for early March... just need to make the % is being NPD.

I'm on phone but something like that.

NPD 2.5m to Sony 6m in March.
So NPD x to Sony 7m in April.

X = 2.9m

400k for NPD

sony_slide2..jpg

DAYUM SONY. shots fired. also a foreshadowing of the outcome for this current gen?

ocean

Banned
This is Sony at the top of their game.

I can't wait for that graph to be updated (the one with console's sales progression during its first months). I wonder if it's still going at a quicker pace than the Wii was.

They sold a million units in one of the months that's generally viewed as being a slow period for gaming, and that's somehow a bad thing?

Taker666

Very impressive. Of course it would be nice if there was an actual reason for it to be selling that much other than hype/future potential. Software wise it's really no better than Wii U or Xbox One were in the same timespan. Got to hand it to Sony marketing/PR.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can you people pleeeease stop falling for super bad trolling

Like Jesus Christ

I'm personally pledging to ban for people with shitty unfunny sarcastic trolling. Stop it.

Orayn

This is what a warpath looks like. Well done, Sony.

Microsoft deserves March though. They really had a lot of great deals and bundles.

This is damage control and heavily discounting a bundle that includes a hyped new release isn't?

Slashlen

We have NPD and sales for early March... just need to make the % is being NPD.

I'm on phone but something like that.

NPD 2.5m to Sony 6m in March.
So NPD x to Sony 7m in April.

X = 2.9m

400k for NPD April.

That assumes that Sony's allocation by region is consistent, that if the US got x% of PS4's before April that they will get x% in April. I do not believe we can make that assumption.

Prelude.

Uhm, not really. If they announce it before everyone will stop talking about it the moment MS wins NPD, if they really wanted to use it a positive spin they should have announced it after NPD. Pre-emptive damage control is useless.

Majmun

Very impressive

And the downplaying begins...

This is Sony at the top of their game.

I can't wait for that graph to be updated (the one with console's sales progression during its first months). I wonder if it's still going at a quicker pace than the Wii was.

Wii was at 5.84m in the same timeframe.

Instro

Shame it is doing so poorly in Japan. Hopefully that eventually turns around, it really should be the defacto leader there with the WiiU dead.

Wow! Amazing accomplishment! Now let's let the people in on upcoming plans for games. I'm sure E3 will be crazy, but I'd love if Sony would throw us a bone.

VanWinkle

Wait...from early Feb to early March, it sold 700,000. From early March to early April, it sold 1,000,000. Explain again what the problem is?

Last thread:

"PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd"

This thread:

"PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units as of April 6th"

Doesn't seem to have really slowed down much to me.

OK, 1 million over 5 weeks, 200K per week. Don't get me wrong, not calling it bad, it's doing great, but another thread had it at 5.3 million as of February 8. 700K more over 3 weeks (to get to 6 million as of March 2) is a higher rate, but not by much.

That said, I'd expect its pace to pick up as the Japanese launch hit and as (hopefully) they continue to increase production capacity. The fact that the pace is (at best) still flat says they're still leaving money on the table and possibly letting Microsoft pick up some fence-stragglers.

no way they are that close sold through.. maybe shipped..

The xbox one is basically dead in Germany even though there are no PS4 to be found in the wild.. the rest of Europe looks very similar to that..The US alone won't be able to keep the Xbox within 1 million units 6 months after release.

As an aside, I've been in Brazil for the last two months up and down the country, and there definitely seems to be more Xbone's over here.

I've only seen one or two shops stocking PS4's. Maybe Brazil is the only major country MS is winning in.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
April 6th... You may wanna edit your... Whatever, do what you want.

Good news. Though I think I want to echo the pre-NPD strike thing. 7 million is a lot of consoles right? My god...

Edit : I don't care enough to care enough to care.

Top Bottom