• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

TheMink

Now this is phenomenal. Yea something is up in the settings somewhere for people. It's so weird that many have no issues or few and others are plagued by them. I even went to the official boards and there is one post with zero replies on the first page of posts regarding connection issues. Second page has a couple more posts but again only the OP has the issue. I don't understand it.

I never said it was someone's internet, but rather settings. Even that is a wild guess. The mink just said he can play tethered to a 3G phone so obviously speed isn't the issue here. But nice internet though.

I didnt think it would work, but i figured what the hell, then it totally worked with minimal lag!
To be fair i havent tried it yet on the newest beta so maybe somethings changed? But that would be weird though...

EDIT: but even so i havent had any issues with the current beta.

Greektown

Neo Member
One complaint I have about the Vita version is that the characters are way too small on the screen. its sometimes hard to differentiate between the 4 players on screen.

J-Tier

One complaint I have about the Vita version is that the characters are way too small on the screen. its sometimes hard to differentiate between the 4 players on screen.

Idk what they should do about this. Opinions seem to vary wildly on this front. Some people like it. Some people are fine with it. Some people can't tell what's going on...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Idk what they should do about this. Opinions seem to vary wildly on this front. Some people like it. Some people are fine with it. Some people can't tell what's going on...

I haven't had that problem, personally. I don't get lost on the Vita.

Gadirok

I have more problems keep tracking with the PS3 version than the vita.

Maybe because I sit so close to the large screen I have to move my head each time someone goes flying across the screen.

Its especially bad when another player is using the same character with the same color as me and I think I am him for awhile. Then I realize I was doing some random shit on the other side of the screen.

Hasnt happened to me on the vita version though. I think I should distance myself more from the TV, lol.

Fou-Lu

Sly feels so trollish when I play him, if I don't want to die, you aren't going to find me, and I attack fast as shit. No losses yet as Sly.

bakedpony

Now this is phenomenal. Yea something is up in the settings somewhere for people. It's so weird that many have no issues or few and others are plagued by them. I even went to the official boards and there is one post with zero replies on the first page of posts regarding connection issues. Second page has a couple more posts but again only the OP has the issue. I don't understand it.

I never said it was someone's internet, but rather settings. Even that is a wild guess. The mink just said he can play tethered to a 3G phone so obviously speed isn't the issue here. But nice internet though.

I have issues as well that I didn't encounter on the private beta. The connecting screen would go from SEARCHING to CONNECTING then back to SEARCHING. When it does connect, your character will have been switched with Kratos.

Other glitches I encountered include other players not appearing in the match but are there since other players go agreed er them, a "ghost state" where the guy you killed respawns but you can't attack him but he can attack you. And of course the disconnects. It would be unfair to penalize players that disconnect when it isn't their fault.

Concept17

Just tried a few matches of this.

I never liked SSB and generally don't get into fighters much.

This game is a blast. I figured I wouldn't like it, but man it plays really well and its fun trying to get a hang of each of the characters. Everything ran perfectly smooth until about my 4th match it hard-locked on me. =\

I'll probably get this on PS3, even though I'm tempted to get it on Vita. (i assume you don't get both?) Will likely get a friend or two to pick it up as well.

Random question, but what kind of 'progression' is there for playing online? Is there a ranking system with stat tracking or anything?

J-Tier

This game is a blast. I figured I wouldn't like it, but man it plays really well and its fun trying to get a hang of each of the characters. Everything ran perfectly smooth until about my 4th match it hard-locked on me. =\

I'll probably get this on PS3, even though I'm tempted to get it on Vita. (i assume you don't get both?) Will likely get a friend or two to pick it up as well.

Random question, but what kind of 'progression' is there for playing online? Is there a ranking system with stat tracking or anything?

You get the vita version free along with the PS3 version. Crossbuy title.

As for the progression system, not sure. I do know that there are in-game rewards such as extra taunts, costumes, intros, outros, etc.

If you buy it on PS3 you get the Vita version free (I'm assuming it's as a download code) but not the other way round.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was not online when i tried this, so i played only the tutorial... now i want a parappa platformer for vita :(
I really don't like the need to tap to take objects, a tap on the backpad would be probably better.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just canceled my pre-order.

Let me explain, the game is fine and seems fun enough but it is just not the game I was expecting. I wanted something for my kids and I to play, but I think it is too complicated and fast for them. I don't want to play with strangers online either. I will pick it up eventually due to crossbuy.

Let me explain, the game is fine and seems fun enough but it is just not the game I was expecting. I wanted something for my kids and I to play, but I think it is too complicated and fast for them. I don't want to play with strangers online either. I will pick it up eventually due to crossbuy.

image.php

You can play with us! Nah, it's all good. I have seen some young kids playing this at retailer demos and they love it though.

breakfuss

Too complicated for a child? I seriously, seriously doubt that. In fact, seems like it was designed by and for toddlers.

I wonder how the Vita version will work here in Crossbuy when buying PS3 copy.

Is it linked to Online Pass? If so, can't you just buy online pass separately?
Will there be a key? If so, can't you sell the key?

Shtof

Lol, don't underestimate your kids! They learn incredibly fast.

breakfuss

So much wrong in this post.

My dislike for the game is no more unsubstantiated than all the undue praise. I already acknowledged that, technically, the beta ran flawlessly. I just don't like the style of play. It's way too simple and uninspired for my tastes. How is that "wrong" or "hate"? No need to have this debate, though. I apologize for spewing such heresy in the presence of the sony demigod. To each his own.

J-Tier

My dislike for the game is no more unsubstantiated than all the undue praise. I already acknowledged that, technically, the beta ran flawlessly. I just don't like the style of play. It's way too simple and uninspired for my tastes. How is that "wrong" or "hate"? No need to have this debate, though. I apologize for spewing such heresy in the presence of the sony demigod. To each his own.

You can criticize, but the criticisms should have some merit. You were originally saying this game is boring and sucks, despite what it offers. All I see is "because of this" without the "why?"

Saying it's "too simple and uninspired" is notably different than "this game is boring" and "is made for toddlers" in tone as well.

You have a right to do continue to spew forth in this manner, but I can also choose to respond to your post with great dislike. But keep in mind the thread you're posting in...you're clearly setting fires with the way you choose to employ your dislike.

To hell with you. :)

SSReborn

Too complicated for a child? I seriously, seriously doubt that. In fact, seems like it was designed by and for toddlers.

This is the quote that I was responding too not whether you like the game or not you already said you didn't previously and I responded with sorry it isn't your cup of tea. So again I don't really care to convince you whether to like it or not I already explained how the gameplay system works earlier in this thread and if you choose to read it or not that's up to you.

What is wrong is the what I bolded because one if you knew the types of people they got to design this game you would have never said that. Second you responded to the previous poster with "basically I don't know what you're talking about there is little depth to this". There obviously is something there if there are plenty of people trying to tell you the opposite but again its ultimately up to you to see it. Albeit you're imo wrong for both reasons what drove me to respond to you was the former not the latter.

i think "designed by and for toddlers" is a bit too much. sure, find it uncomplicated- by all means. but i realllllly disagree with the toddler part. i mean, omar and seth aren't really toddlers. :| i mean... seriously. im sure theres sarcasm in there anyways. haha

GQman2121

Banned
Between my PS3, and then for about an hour in bed on my Vita, I must have played for three or so hours last night and I'm fucking awful. I just couldn't get the combat to click in any meaningful way. I felt like I was holding block on the majority of the attacks that were coming my way, but I was getting blasted left and right. Throwing with the right stick also didn't seem to work. I'm probably missing something there though.

The night started out with a lot of Kratos and Hellgast with their ranged attacks. But before long it turned into the Puppy Power Hour because everyone was rocking PaRappa. Dude has some serious combos with that skateboard and boombox. I'm going to have to watch some youtube vids or something to get an idea of how to link moves together because there's clearly a group of people in the beta that know what they're doing and they're wrecking those of us who have only casually played SSB before.

More than anything, this game has really shown just how good the fidelity can be on the Vita for these crossover titles. There is literally no loss in quality between the two platforms and that is really, really impressive. In fact, I think I prefer playing on the Vita because I feel like I can focus a little more. I do wish I could get the games music and sound effects to come out of the systems speakers so that only voice chat worked with my bluetooth.

Zephyrus

Banned

nintendo fan I presume?

It's amazing how a group of people that are in no way connected to a company, make me hate their products so much.

I'd buy a wiiU ASAP... but that fanbase. UGH

I wonder how the Vita version will work here in Crossbuy when buying PS3 copy.

Is it linked to Online Pass? If so, can't you just buy online pass separately?
Will there be a key? If so, can't you sell the key?

I'm thinking 1 time activation key to tie the game to your psn account, both the vita version and the ps3 disc version. so it's like online pass code, but for offline content also. you can't play your disc if you sell the key. that mean you can't borrow or buy it used either. I wonder if that'll bring too much shitstorm if Sony really do that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don't have a problem differentiating between characters, but I have lost track of my character during battle.

The new beta is so good, and such a vast improvement over the private beta. Everything looks sharper, the UI is much more polished and the characters more balanced. Parappa's level 1 has been fixed so that you can actually get a kill with it now. His level 2 lasts longer, like it always should have (I've gotten 4 kills with it on a couple of occasions - it's killer), and his level 3... well, it's just not worth using now. Most of the glitches have been erased and the majority of matches play without a hitch - good times!

They finally managed to get the german PSN users to play the beta on Vita after like every second comment on the blog blaimed them for letting uns out :D

I played the Private beta on PS3 and i liked it, on Vita its just amazing. Cant believe how good it looks! Characters look sharp, textures are fine and the game is fast as hell. Day one for me, but PS3 version obviously ;)

Fat Princess is still the Killer! In the private beta me and my GF owned in 2on2 with FP and Parappa combination, but FP is actually just as good in F4A as she is in 2on2. Fun as hell

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah, I agree that this new beta is a really nice improvement (beyond the network issues a lot of us are having).

I'm beginning to adjust to the new ways in which Kratos handles, and I'm actually liking the tweaks. It took me a bit to get used to the button rearrangement on his Helios Flash and Bow, but it's fine now.

Unfortunatley, I'm on my lunch break, but the network is just shit. I blame my work's internet, because it's been pretty piss poor all day today. It's been nice getting a little 1v1 with some characters, due to others being invisible. Lol.

I'm really loving how clean this game looks.

Here's two shots I took while my internet was spazzing out. The camera got nice and close, and I think the character models are nice looking:

I personally haven't had any problems keeping track of my guy during fights, but I think the camera zooms in pretty close when just two people are on the screen, so 1v1 on the Vita will probably be fine.

Ran rp

Not to brag but every time I have faced kratos and sometimes multiples they got only one level 3 at best.

Yup. I've never been in a match where another Kratos player was able to gain two Lvl 3's. I've done it a few times but most of the time I only get up two 2.5ish bars after my first Lvl 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Just remember the song the next time you post. Hope it helps!

SSReborn

I really don't think a vast amount of the people playing know you can dodge supers by a well timed roll or that you can block :/.

I really don't think a vast amount of the people playing know you can dodge supers by a well timed roll or that you can block :/

Towards the end of the previous betas people started to figure this out. Especially at the end of the first private beta, around the time after the 2.0 update. And it was awesome.

Just had a match as parappa with 2 kratos's and a sweet tooth. That range from kratos was fuckin me up so much i couldnt even use my mic to keep up with that damn forward square. Had a level 1 that I fought tooth and nail for and realized I was kinda close to level 2...went in the corner and spammed a bit of boombox got my level 2, wiped all people out plus another time for one of the kratos.

Win the match 4 Kills, no deaths. Bwhahaha I love using strategy.

I really don't think a vast amount of the people playing know you can dodge supers by a well timed roll or that you can block :/.

Wait what? Block? Block what? Not a super.

Top Bottom