• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

Noi

YICfw.jpg

Still got it.

Also, figured out in this same match that Shotgun Pistol (Forward Square) > Arc Cannon (Level 2) works now. Nailed all 3 of the others twice in the match the same way. So Shotgun Pistol can be used to follow up with both the Sniper Rifle AND his level 2.

ibjaZh8lnsF3Cb.gif

Still got it.

Also, figured out in this same match that Shotgun Pistol (Forward Square) > Arc Cannon (Level 2) works now. Nailed all 3 of the others twice in the match the same way. So Shotgun Pistol can be used to follow up with both the Sniper Rifle AND his level 2.

ibjaZh8lnsF3Cb.gif

I would love to run a fatty p and radec team and just infuriate everyone. Lol.

Ran rp

The one thing that pisses me off about Parappa is his mic + super 1. It happens so quickly.

3 games with 3 Kratoses. Of course I mopped the floor with em as Fat Princess ^^.

It's insane how crappy FP lvl 3 is. Lvl 2 is almost guaranteed 3 kills if placed correctly and its not impossible to get 4. Lvl 3 on the other hand is usually 3 kills and 2 if you are unlucky and someone is master dodger. The idea is fine but it should last almost double time concidering it is perhaps one of the easier lvl 3 supers to dodge when you get the hang of it.

The most annoying bug in the game is definately when you die and your respawn takes 10-15 secs longer than it should. Lost a few games because of that.

I used Kratos' lvl 3 and killed everyone in one swing but they didn't respawn until my super was over. I was laughing for the rest of the match.
Still won.

General notes:
+Kratos arrows can be ducked
+After being knocked to the ground, your character will not stand until you press a direction; you can lay on the ground for quite a while (I never tried to lay indefinitely, just for a short while) and will be invulnerable
+After being knocked against a wall or in the air, there is a timeframe where you are no longer in hitstun and enter a flip state; press Block to flip out sooner or press nothing to remain invulnerable and fall to the ground
+Kratos Level 1 has startup invulnerability to melee attacks and throws (maybe not projectiles)
-Throws are quite vulnerable. For example, Radec's forward throw is invulnerable while he punches then teleports behind his opponent, but once reappears to fire his shotgun he can be hit out of his throw animation.
-Supers have permanently active hitboxes. Level 3 Kratos' sword will always KO who it touches regardless of animation frame. I rolled behind Kratos' upward swing only to be touched by its hilt as he lowered the sword and was KOed while recovering from the roll. Sly's Level 1 is similar; if you walk into the hippo after he (she?) has fallen forward, you will be KOed. The green aura around Radec's Level 2 beam also KOs.
-Sly's Level 3 will KO any character visible on screen; you do not need to be inside the square frame or under the circular reticle.

Radec notes:
+Air Square, Square combos into ground Square, Square (so Neutral Square is no longer useless)
+Neutral Triangle is godlike. Jump and fire while falling to deter anyone from approaching. Great hitstun, AP gain, and lockdown on hit; hold to fire repeatedly (this does not combo)
+Flamethrower is perfect up close; recovers very fast on hit and block. Start with this before transitioning into Forward Square so you don't get blown up by rolls
+Air Shock grenade has a greater horizontal arc than ground Shock Grenade, which has greater vertical arc. I've gotten varying arcs on this attack; I'm still experimenting with whether holding Circle adjusts the arc in any way
-Down Square does not have invulnerability because that would make regular rolls worthless, but this move needs to be buffed somehow. The explosion grants practically no hitstun and absolutely no knockback. Making the grenade explode sooner or causing mild knockback would deter players from pressuring Radec after he has dropped a grenade. In the air, it's decent for mobility but Radec is vulnerable while invisible. Landings can be made safer with the grenade being present. It says, "Don't come here," whereas it needs to say, "Get out of here!"
-If Radec activates his Level 3 after one opponent has died but before they have respawned, they will not spawn during the duration of his Super cinematic. I will chock this up to a beta bug or online mishap.

PSN: Archon473, looking for some 2v2 action.

We might need a new thread so we can have an editable OP, this is great info.

Fake edit: OH YEAH! Can Kratos shoot a ball of light with his counter? I was playing a game earlier and instead of pressing circle once to counter I sort of double tapped it and one of those lvl 3 lights shot out instead of him using his blades. I don't remember if it connected with the other player or not because I wasn't expecting that to happen.

Noi

PSY・S;43392302 said:
We might need a new thread so we can have an editable OP, this is great info.

I wouldn't mind doing it myself, since CC gave us his blessing and told me to refer to you for any graphic work. I've got nothing to do either, so I can just update shit all day.

PSY・S;43392302 said:
Fake edit: OH YEAH! Can Kratos shoot a ball of light with his counter? I was playing a game earlier and instead of pressing circle once to counter I sort of double tapped it and one of those lvl 3 lights shot out instead of him using his blades. I don't remember if it connected with the other player or not because I wasn't expecting that to happen.

If the fleece works anything like in his game, countering a projectile will shoot out a ball of light, while countering a regular melee move will just do a normal physical counter. I've barely used him though!

I wouldn't mind doing it myself, since CC gave us his blessing and told me to refer to you for any graphic work. I've got nothing to do either, so I can just update shit all day.

If the fleece works anything like in his game, countering a projectile will shoot out a ball of light, while countering a regular melee move will just do a normal physical counter. I've barely used him though!

I love how kratos is so faithful to his respective game, maybe because he already come from combo centric action game as opposed to radec or parappa where they come from different genre. I wonder if nariko, dante, and raiden will feel as faithful to their own game like kratos.

Noi

I love how kratos is so faithful to his respective game, maybe because he already come from combo centric action game as opposed to radec or parappa where they come from different genre. I wonder if nariko, dante, and raiden will feel as faithful to their own game like kratos.

This game is 60 FPS, so Dino will control better here than he does in his own game. And Raiden seems to be just fine, given cut cut cut is what the Revengeance version does.

Ran rp

I'd work on it but I'm too busy with school, especially since it's the midterms. I'm basically using all of my free time to play the beta, haha.

Didn't know that! I've barely played any of the GoW games.

Noi

PSY・S;43393123 said:
I'd work on it but I'm too busy with school, especially since it's the midterms. I'm basically using all of my free time to play the beta, haha.

Well, I can always re-use the current graphics since nothing's changed content-wise aside from Dreamscape and Sandover not being playable. Just gimme a moment to rearrange some stuff/add some things...

Ran rp

Well, I can always re-use the current graphics since nothing's changed content-wise aside from Dreamscape and Sandover not being playable. Just gimme a moment to rearrange some stuff/add some things...

There are some small things though, like adjusted controls. I know that Kratos' Helios' Head move was changed from (left or right + O) to (down + O), and The Fire Bow and Arrow was changed from (O) to (left or right + O). I'm not sure if the other characters' controls have been changed. I can easily fix the graphic for that if you need me to.

PSY・S;43393648 said:
There are some small things though, like adjusted controls. I know that Kratos' Helios' Head move was changed from (left or right + O) to (down + O), and The Fire Bow and Arrow was changed from (O) to (left or right + O). I'm not sure if the other characters' controls have been changed. I can easily fix the graphic for that if you need me to.

The moves can just be linked from the Official Site.

Noi

The moves can just be linked from the Official Site.

Good call. I was trying to remember what moves were changed, but it'd be easier to just link to that.

Almost done with editing the OP for the new thread. If there's stuff you guys would like added (or removed), now's the time!

Good call. I was trying to remember what moves were changed, but it'd be easier to just link to that.

Almost done with editing the OP for the new thread. If there's stuff you guys would like added (or removed), now's the time!

Yep just create a link for each character for the lazy folks lol.

Maybe reinforce the importance of blocking and evading and knowing who has what when it comes to supers. Also make sure everyone knows to check out the Tutorial, even if it is basic it has some needed info for new comers.

Played the game briefly at NYCC, went with Ratchet (my favorite PS character). It was really good but, I think the stages are too big for my taste. I do love the variety of the moves each character has. In the end I clutched a win by transforming into Clank and getting 3 quick kills.

Played the game briefly at NYCC, went with Ratchet (my favorite PS character). It was really good but, I think the stages are too big for my taste. I do love the variety of the moves each character has. In the end I clutched a win by transforming into Clank and getting 3 quick kills.
What stage did you play on?

You may end up really enjoying Dojo and Stowaway then. Dojo is going to be the stage where people settle their differences as to who is best. Mono y Mono, stage hazards off, no platforms, and a small dojo space.

Participated in the PS All Stars Battle Royal beta via PS Plus. Pretty fun.

I could hear people speaking Filipino as I played (I'm from the Philippines). How did that happen?

Archon473

So Shotgun Pistol can be used to follow up with both the Sniper Rifle AND his level 2.

How were you positioned? Forward Square causes wall bounce, so I imagine you'd have to send your opponent toward open space. Either way, excellent find!

Also, I believe I witnessed someone fire the rocket launcher item vertically. I'll test this next time I play. I'll also test air teching and ground teching more thoroughly.

TheMink

Ive said this before but if you can manage to wall bounce three people (the easiest way is square square square) and imediately (cancel the third square intput) pull a lvl 2 with kratos it garanutees the kills.

I hate the menus so much

Please tell me they aren't final

They aren't final.....at least I think. They said there would be themed UI based on a character you choose so I can only imagine that means it isn't final. And they said a long time ago the menu was being changed and it really hasn't changed much at all.

Archon473

Auto-Mute option. Please fucking add one.

Haha, I hear you. I'm sure it will be a permanent saved setting in the full game's options.

So, this game does not have air throws or ground dodges (dodging in place, not rolling)? I could have sworn these were said to exist in this game.

Noi

So is Jstein0222 still relevant enough to keep his impressions in the OP. Kidding, kidding! I'll open it up so anyone with character experience can talk about a specific character, rather than just limit it to one person.

Also, what do you guys want to be the title for the new thread? Online isn't quite as smooth as butter anymore!

How were you positioned? Forward Square causes wall bounce, so I imagine you'd have to send your opponent toward open space. Either way, excellent find!

You say this like Metropolis and Hades have a ton of walls to watch out for. :p

So is Jstein0222 still relevant enough to keep his impressions in the OP. Kidding, kidding! I'll open it up so anyone with character experience can talk about a specific character, rather than just limit it to one person.

Also, what do you guys want to be the title for the new thread? Online isn't quite as smooth as butter anymore!

I can give some detailed info on Fatty P later.

Actually the online is smoother than ever for me. It just has some weird disconnect and syncing issues. The level 3's aren't bugged either.

How about, Made by Toddlers, too Complex for Adults

SSReborn

Ohhhh I wanna talk about Sly :)

Also make sure to explain why they have no score counter in timed mode and how SSB does the same thing.

Grokbu

Just found the most beautiful combo(s) with Parappa (might be known already): After d+L(square) you can connect a mic sling, so you can basically continue till you hit the combo limit. I imagine that this can get useful if you want to combo, but there's a floor above you that'd interrupt air combos (has happened to me countless times).

I sort of hope they fix this in some way though, as it isn't the most fun thing to watch, heh.

What do you guys think of ST's Super 2 starting off with an explosion, and then launching the rocket? Like Sir Dan's. Basically you can kill anyone near you, and then use the rocket to get someone else.

And for his Super 3, I think they need to make it so that the mecha-tooth can have a dash move (to KO opponents), along with it being slightly longer, maybe.

Played it a bit last night and found it chaotic but not enjoyable.
I may still be too used to Smash Bros. gameplay and controls so I need more getting used to this, but so far I would have preferred if they outright copied everything from Smash Bros. Melee. I just played Melee again today a bit and found it immensely more fun.
The not knowing if you are winning or not is horrible and I absolutely hate the super kill system. I don't want it to be about trying to collect those power gem stuff.

Also, in Smash Bros. I felt in control of my character at all times no matter how chaotic the action got, but not the case here. I just feel the controls feel a lot looser, perhaps the characters don't have enough weight to them, or I just need some more time with the game.

I do like Fat Princess though. She is like Peach combined with Donkey Kong / Bowser which are all my mains in Smash.

What do you guys think of ST's Super 2 starting off with an explosion, and then launching the rocket? Like Sir Dan's. Basically you can kill anyone near you, and then use the rocket to get someone else.

And for his Super 3, I think they need to make it so that the mecha-tooth can have a dash move (to KO opponents), along with it being slightly longer, maybe.

I still wish they did the laughing clown fireball attack. Make it work just like Radec's Level 2.

Played it a bit last night and found it chaotic but not enjoyable.
I may still be too used to Smash Bros. gameplay and controls so I need more getting used to this, but so far I would have preferred if they outright copied everything from Smash Bros. Melee. I just played Melee again today a bit and found it immensely more fun.
The not knowing if you are winning or not is horrible and I absolutely hate the super kill system. I don't want it to be about trying to collect those power gem stuff.

Also, in Smash Bros. I felt in control of my character at all times no matter how chaotic the action got, but not the case here. I just feel the controls feel a lot looser, perhaps the characters don't have enough weight to them, or I just need some more time with the game.

I do like Fat Princess though. She is like Peach combined with Donkey Kong / Bowser which are all my mains in Smash.

Yep, that's it.

Beta than Smash

;3

Spinluck

General notes:
+Kratos arrows can be ducked
+After being knocked to the ground, your character will not stand until you press a direction; you can lay on the ground for quite a while (I never tried to lay indefinitely, just for a short while) and will be invulnerable
+After being knocked against a wall or in the air, there is a timeframe where you are no longer in hitstun and enter a flip state; press Block to flip out sooner or press nothing to remain invulnerable and fall to the ground
+Kratos Level 1 has startup invulnerability to melee attacks and throws (maybe not projectiles)
-Throws are quite vulnerable. For example, Radec's forward throw is invulnerable while he punches then teleports behind his opponent, but once reappears to fire his shotgun he can be hit out of his throw animation.
-Supers have permanently active hitboxes. Level 3 Kratos' sword will always KO who it touches regardless of animation frame. I rolled behind Kratos' upward swing only to be touched by its hilt as he lowered the sword and was KOed while recovering from the roll. Sly's Level 1 is similar; if you walk into the hippo after he (she?) has fallen forward, you will be KOed. The green aura around Radec's Level 2 beam also KOs.
-Sly's Level 3 will KO any character visible on screen; you do not need to be inside the square frame or under the circular reticle.

Radec notes:
+Air Square, Square combos into ground Square, Square (so Neutral Square is no longer useless)
+Neutral Triangle is godlike. Jump and fire while falling to deter anyone from approaching. Great hitstun, AP gain, and lockdown on hit; hold to fire repeatedly (this does not combo)
+Flamethrower is perfect up close; recovers very fast on hit and block. Start with this before transitioning into Forward Square so you don't get blown up by rolls
+Air Shock grenade has a greater horizontal arc than ground Shock Grenade, which has greater vertical arc. I've gotten varying arcs on this attack; I'm still experimenting with whether holding Circle adjusts the arc in any way
-Down Square does not have invulnerability because that would make regular rolls worthless, but this move needs to be buffed somehow. The explosion grants practically no hitstun and absolutely no knockback. Making the grenade explode sooner or causing mild knockback would deter players from pressuring Radec after he has dropped a grenade. In the air, it's decent for mobility but Radec is vulnerable while invisible. Landings can be made safer with the grenade being present. It says, "Don't come here," whereas it needs to say, "Get out of here!"
-If Radec activates his Level 3 after one opponent has died but before they have respawned, they will not spawn during the duration of his Super cinematic. I will chock this up to a beta bug or online mishap.

PSN: Archon473, looking for some 2v2 action.

Hey Archon, you still online?

Duffyside

Banned
Just played my first match. If it ends with "the Matchmaking servers are currently unavailable," that means everyone quit because I won, right?

Edit: Oh... sorry.

Caffer

Neo Member
IMG_20121021_144026.jpg

lol i think I am playing too much.... I am winning 8/9 matches out of 10... I'd like to play with some of you, it may be more challenging :p

Top Bottom