• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky.

Just teamed up with PotatoMan recently. It was a lot of fun. Good Job, PMan.

Yeah I played with TimeEffect too tonight, and only lost one game overall, where I was caught stuck in the XMB at the start and my cycle of Fat Princess butt stomp, block, attack was figured out, and I had been doing it soooo much I couldn't stop even though I knew it was no longer working. Everyone else would always try to follow up with an attack as soon as they avoided my landing and I'd always block it leaving them open. This guy knew to just block the stomp, and grab, every single time.

Otherwise we were undefeated for both teams. It sounds like other gafers are having the same type of experience. We need the real game to come out so we can finally fight some other gafers to see who's really good at this game. I particularly want to call out Figboy. I love you man, but we've had our disagreements and the time for talk is nearly over.

Just a few more weeks I guess.

I can kill it with parappa and fat princess and yet struggle with the other characters. Can't figure them out, only thing I can think of is they just don't fit my style well at all. Finally started to figure out sly cooper a bit, he has a weird arsenal of attacks though.

And the full game has 14 more characters to figure out *headspins*. Seriously kudos to superbot for such a varied roster appealing to an array of play styles.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah I played with TimeEffect too tonight, and only lost one game overall, where I was caught stuck in the XMB at the start and my cycle of Fat Princess butt stomp, block, attack was figured out, and I had been doing it soooo much I couldn't stop even though I knew it was no longer working. Everyone else would always try to follow up with an attack as soon as they avoided my landing and I'd always block it leaving them open. This guy knew to just block the stomp, and grab, every single time.

Otherwise we were undefeated for both teams. It sounds like other gafers are having the same type of experience. We need the real game to come out so we can finally fight some other gafers to see who's really good at this game. I particularly want to call out Figboy. I love you man, but we've had our disagreements and the time for talk is nearly over.

Just a few more weeks I guess.

Yeah, few more weeks.... I want to get my hand on coles.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Man, just had a really shit series of matches. I have to say, move spammers are truly annoying, and I think Radec builds to level 3 incredibly easy when everyone decides to gang up on one person, while Radec just sits in a corner gaining AP.

I was fighting 2 Radecs and a Kratos on Hades, and they each took up a corner and sniper spammed until they hit level 3, then launched them back to back. The second Kratos just wouldn't let me be, so I could focus on taking one of the Radecs out, or at least keep him from gaining AP. Each time I'd close the distance between me and a Radec, the other Kratos would attack me, or use the chain grab to pull me right back towards him, until finally the two Radecs just destroyed us both.

I mean, damn, at least start learning some situational awareness and assess who the primary threats are. A solo Radec isn't too bad, even when he spams, but when you have two of those fuckers, both spamming, it gets frustrating.

I try and shake things up and create combos with my Kratos, but it's just no fun fighting against other people who don't want to do anything more than button mash.

Some of my favorite matches have been against Radecs and Fat Princesses, especially good ones, who know how to combo and work their moveset to their advantage. Even when I lose those matches (which I often do. Lol), I feel like I've learned something. Maybe learned to evade or counter their various techniques. I feel almost cheated when I lose to someone who's like, "I'll just keep using this one move!"

It wouldn't be so bad if the other players noticed who was accruing AP quickly, and actively work to stop them. I was doing my best to use moves and throws that would drain the Radec's AP, but was constantly hindered by the third player. Bah. Not the most fun I've had with All Stars. Earlier today at work, while on the Vita, it was better. This was the first time I played it on PS3 since this new beta began. Still great, but I think I like playing it on the Vita more, oddly enough. I like the 5" screen, as opposed to my 40" TV. Lol. I feel like I'm taking in the battle a lot easier on the Vita screen. My TV is almost too big. Lol.

EDIT: Lol, @ potato, right back at you! I'd love to fight some gaffers, but I haven't had any luck in getting matched up with you guys in this beta. You're already on my friend's list, potato, so we'll definitely have to set up some matches when the game releases.

Thought i would come here and ask, i downloaded the Beta to my Vita yet when i try to load the Beta it comes up with an error message and stops. I read there was problems regarding plus members ect but has anyone else had this? I am a plus member just incase any wonders about that too.

Thought i would come here and ask, i downloaded the Beta to my Vita yet when i try to load the Beta it comes up with an error message and stops. I read there was problems regarding plus members ect but has anyone else had this? I am a plus member just incase any wonders about that too.

Had no issues playing on the Vita in the UK, also a plus member.

Looking forward to the release, have preordered on PS3 for the free DD on Vita. Great move by Sony on this one.

had more fun with it when I stuck to using sweettooth. won a couple of matches as well. Drop bombs, mollys and machettes on people, blast em with shotty and land in the middle and chainsaw swing them.

Guess he just suits my play style in a game like this.

The game is definitely fun. Not sure if il buy it though. Maybe more playing will convince me one way or the other.

Ran rp

Everybody wants to nerf my Kratos. I guess I wouldn't mind if his AP gain is lowered a little bit. It does seem slightly faster than the older betas.

shink

Just played as Sly for the first time. Really love his invisibility. Hard to keep track of him but came out on top surprisingly!

I think claims that Kratos gains AP too quickly are well-founded. I've been playing the beta solidly and in that time I've encounted Kratos' level 3 more times than all the other characters put together. He needs to be toned-down a bit for the final product I'd say.

Oh, and there's nothing more enraging than my Parappa taking on 3 Kratos' in one match. One I can handle, but three is frustration personified. The bald-headed one is even more annoying than Radec now.

shink

Booo just had two matches in a row with rage quitters. I don't think it was bad connection I usually have no issues. Spoils the fun since I was doing okay haha.

Ran rp

I think claims that Kratos gains AP too quickly are well-founded. I've been playing the beta solidly and in that time I've encounted Kratos' level 3 more times than all the other characters put together. He needs to be toned-down a bit for the final product I'd say.

Oh, and there's nothing more enraging than my Parappa taking on 3 Kratos' in one match. One I can handle, but three is frustration personified. The bald-headed one is even more annoying than Radec now.

Taking on three Kratos' is frustrating with any character. It's too chaotic in FFA but it's fine in 2v2.

TheMink

PSY・S;43370429 said:
Taking on three Kratos' is frustrating with any character. It's too chaotic in FFA but it's fine in 2v2.

Yeah Kratos is fine, me and jstein and PSY • S have played well enough to keep whatever character we are playing againts (kratos included) to under a single bar of super for a full minute, meanwhile we get lvl 3s in the same amount of time and j was playin as a pleathera of characters.

Its just perpective methinks.

Sid

From the other thread:

Imo there's a lot of work to do, i made 7-8 matches on vita.
1)it really needs to show scores during the match
2)sometimes i played with 2 other persons or one of the others was blocked
3)one time i chose fat princess, there was maybe a problem with the connection and then i played as kratos
4)some characters seems to be unbalanced to me, kratos is too strong and fast, killzone character is relatively too slow and difficult to use.
5)menus look somewhat amatorial
6)it needs free training(at least the beta)
7)sometimes in the chaos you can't see where your character is.
Yep all this and some times i can't even sign in,it says database error or some shit and don't make us agree to the EULA EVERY TIME WE BOOT UP THE BETA!

Seventh time in a row the host quit before the start of the match,wtf.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Am I imagining things or did the Radec up-/\ AP value change?

I think it used to be 30 which was a lot, which is why it was spammed so much.

I guess he does but his level 1 and 2 supers are awful

First 3 matches have been bad.

First match was laggy. Got 3 kills with Parappa's level 2 and host disconnected.

Second match was so laggy that I couldn't even see Fat Princess for the entire match. Got 3 kills with Parappa's level 3 even though I was only fighting 2 Kratos'

Third match was so laggy that I never respawned and the host disconnected.

Yeah Kratos is fine, me and jstein and PSY • S have played well enough to keep whatever character we are playing againts (kratos included) to under a single bar of super for a full minute, meanwhile we get lvl 3s in the same amount of time and j was playin as a pleathera of characters.

Its just perpective methinks.

I swear we had some matches where we both got to a level 3 before the people we were fighting got to a level 1 haha

persongr

You guys can be annoyed by Kratos variety of easy-to-handle attacks, but, if used by an experienced player, Sly can become a massive problem.

I insist on using Parappa, his beatbox attacks are so fun to use.

3 games with 3 Kratoses. Of course I mopped the floor with em as Fat Princess ^^.

It's insane how crappy FP lvl 3 is. Lvl 2 is almost guaranteed 3 kills if placed correctly and its not impossible to get 4. Lvl 3 on the other hand is usually 3 kills and 2 if you are unlucky and someone is master dodger. The idea is fine but it should last almost double time concidering it is perhaps one of the easier lvl 3 supers to dodge when you get the hang of it.

The most annoying bug in the game is definately when you die and your respawn takes 10-15 secs longer than it should. Lost a few games because of that.

SmithnCo

Yeah, FP's 3 is terrible. It might be worth going for if you're in FFA and in a large level with everyone spread out, but even then it's probably better to just use level 1s.

You guys can be annoyed by Kratos variety of easy-to-handle attacks, but, if used by an experienced player, Sly can become a massive problem.

I insist on using Parappa, his beatbox attacks are so fun to use.

I consider myself a bit of a Parappa veteran already and I barely use his boom box - what am I missing? There's down+O which generates AP, but that's kinda useless now because it's been nerfed. I used it all the time in the private beta because usually the other players were too dense to come after me, but it gives so little AP now that it's not worth it. Then there's up+O, which I've tried to use but doesn't really come in handy. I guess that move is for enemies above, but there's not much opportunity to use it.

I'm all about the grapple mic honestly; that move is indispensable.

persongr

I consider myself a bit of a Parappa veteran already and I barely use his boom box - what am I missing? There's down+O which generates AP, but that's kinda useless now because it's been nerfed. I used it all the time in the private beta because usually the other players were too dense to come after me, but it gives so little AP now that it's not worth it. Then there's up+O, which I've tried to use but doesn't really come in handy. I guess that move is for enemies above, but there's not much opportunity to use it.

I'm all about the grapple mic honestly; that move is indispensable.

Not really, I use up+O even for enemies at the same level with me and it works fine, and the down+O to gather enemies and hit them with the down+SQUARE repeatedly (Which gives fantastic AP).

Say you have a lvl 3 meter, is it possibly to choose to only use a lvl 1 or 2 attack? I think there were a few times I was at lvl2 and I ended up doing a lvl1+lvl1

Not really, I use up+O even for enemies at the same level with me and it works fine, and the down+O to gather enemies and hit them with the down+SQUARE repeatedly (Which gives fantastic AP).

I swear I use up+O when near enemies at the same level and it never connects. Luring in opponents with down+O though, that makes sense. I never thought of it like that.

libregkd

Say you have a lvl 3 meter, is it possibly to choose to only use a lvl 1 or 2 attack? I think there were a few times I was at lvl2 and I ended up doing a lvl1+lvl1
I think what may have happened was that you had some AP knocked out of you to get you out of a level 2 but the amount of AP you had left over was still worth 2 level 1s. I don't believe the amount of AP needed to go up a level is a set amount (i.e. a Level 1 is 100 AP, a Level 2 is 200 AP, etc.) but increases to get further levels (i.e. a Level 1 is 100 AP while a Level 2 is 300 AP) So it could be possible to build up your meter to a point where you can have 2 level ones ready to go. I know this is very true with Sweet Tooth because I often find myself able to pull off 2 level ones within quick sucession of one another.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What do you guys think about getting a tiny boost in AP upon successfully killing an opponent? Like 10% boost to your Level 1 AP bar?

WatTsu

I really hope online will be fine at launch. What happened to Twisted Metal was tfuly heartbreaking.

Maybe I'm the outlier but once the servers went up and I could actually connect to games I've had very good experiences. Easily the best I've ever had on the Playstation Network.

Then again, I'm playing on the Vita, so maybe that makes a difference.

Edit: I take that back, Bioshock 2 multiplayer was pretty good. At least connection-wise.

Maybe I'm the outlier but once the servers went up and I could actually connect to games I've had very good experiences. Easily the best I've ever had on the Playstation Network.

Then again, I'm playing on the Vita, so maybe that makes a difference.

Edit: I take that back, Bioshock 2 multiplayer was pretty good. At least connection-wise.

I see the occasional weird things but majority of the time it is near perfect.

Mrbob

I was able to play a match on Vita last night. Gave up after getting spammed the whole time by two overpowered Kratos characters in the match. Nerf him.

WatTsu

Posted this in the main thread too but I am super excited and wanted to share my joy.

2012_10_19_164058.jpg

Yup, that's me handily beating 3 Kratoses. Don't even know if I did it through skill. Maybe I was just lucky. But not a one got a level 3 off.

Parappa!

What do you guys think about getting a tiny boost in AP upon successfully killing an opponent? Like 10% boost to your Level 1 AP bar?

Personally I don't see the point in that. It's not like you need any more rewards from killing a dude. It's enough that performing a ''perfect combo'' nets you AP bonus when opponent enters invi state.

PSY・S;43369883 said:
Everybody wants to nerf my Kratos. I guess I wouldn't mind if his AP gain is lowered a little bit. It does seem slightly faster than the older betas.

They should have left him alone. He was perfect in the previous beta, why they gave him an AP boost is beyond me. They should really roll out the change ASAP, I dont want public players getting turned off by his prevalence. Stunning how he has become the new Radec.

3 games with 3 Kratoses. Of course I mopped the floor with em as Fat Princess ^^.

It's insane how crappy FP lvl 3 is. Lvl 2 is almost guaranteed 3 kills if placed correctly and its not impossible to get 4. Lvl 3 on the other hand is usually 3 kills and 2 if you are unlucky and someone is master dodger. The idea is fine but it should last almost double time concidering it is perhaps one of the easier lvl 3 supers to dodge when you get the hang of it.

The most annoying bug in the game is definately when you die and your respawn takes 10-15 secs longer than it should. Lost a few games because of that.

I've said since day one that Fat P's Super 3 is garbage. Not only is it insanely bad, it's incredibly short. It's a damn joke. I feel like they should have redone the whole thing, but too late for that. Hell, I'd have taken another First Person super 3 where she throws cake at everyone.

I have to say, when it comes to overall supers, I'm very disappointed with Sackboy. His Super 1 is Parappa's super, his Super 2 is OK, and his Super 3 is him chasing bubbles. It should have been like Drake's where everybody gets turned into Sackboys and he goes around slapping them with one of those oversized novelty foam hands.

Foam-hand-7-5--5761796.jpg

Either that, or he turns into giant-Sackboy, Kratos style, and simply runs over everyone with his giant stump legs. I hope the extra month would have them getting more creative with some supers, I know it takes time to do something like a Groovitron super 3 for Ratchet, but it's something that would have been perfect over his FPS super 3. But that's what sequels are for.

/super ramble

Eh, no thanks. I mean, what's the point of rewarding those in the lead?

Grokbu

Um. Since I downloaded this from the NA store for Vita, I'm not restricted to playing with people from that region, right?

The disconnection bug in Overtime is seriously pissing me off.

Just had an amazingly competitive game, went into OT, and I knew it would disconnect :(

Grokbu

Nope, worldwide.
Ah, that's good to hear. Thanks.

EDIT: Uh, WTF. Just had the weirdest free for all match. At first we were four players, but after killing one of them, he disappeared (I assume he quit the game). Then it was me vs two guys, who apparently couldn't hurt eachother, only me. To add to the weirdness, during multiple occasions in the match, my respawn time was really long, and apparently the other players could see me and I couldn't.
So then I see this Radec doing his lv1 out of the blue, shooting it through the other guy leaving him unharmed, and lo and behold, I get hit just as my respawn appears, killing me when I should be in invincibility.

I assume that there was something wrong with my respawn so that I didn't actually respawn too late, just that I was the only one who couldn't see my character.

What with the other guys not being able to hit eachother, I wonder if it is possible that they entered 2v2 together and somehow ended up in FFA? At the win screen, there were four teams as usual.

OMFG, DAMMIT!!!

UGH!

Played two ASSHOLE Kratos' in 2v2 who were such DICKS with their constant spamming, but we managed to inch them into an OT. How? Well I hit one with ST and he rico'd into the other. Then, at the very end of x2 OT, my partner hit a Radec Super 1 OVER his own head in the nick of time to tie it again for OVERTIME x3.

Game immediately disconnects. So pissed off, because it was easily the most frantic match I've had.

Dammit superbot, fix this for the public beta :(

Archon473

General notes:
+Kratos arrows can be ducked
+After being knocked to the ground, your character will not stand until you press a direction; you can lay on the ground for quite a while (I never tried to lay indefinitely, just for a short while) and will be invulnerable
+After being knocked against a wall or in the air, there is a timeframe where you are no longer in hitstun and enter a flip state; press Block to flip out sooner or press nothing to remain invulnerable and fall to the ground
+Kratos Level 1 has startup invulnerability to melee attacks and throws (maybe not projectiles)
-Throws are quite vulnerable. For example, Radec's forward throw is invulnerable while he punches then teleports behind his opponent, but once reappears to fire his shotgun he can be hit out of his throw animation.
-Supers have permanently active hitboxes. Level 3 Kratos' sword will always KO who it touches regardless of animation frame. I rolled behind Kratos' upward swing only to be touched by its hilt as he lowered the sword and was KOed while recovering from the roll. Sly's Level 1 is similar; if you walk into the hippo after he (she?) has fallen forward, you will be KOed. The green aura around Radec's Level 2 beam also KOs.
-Sly's Level 3 will KO any character visible on screen; you do not need to be inside the square frame or under the circular reticle.

Radec notes:
+Air Square, Square combos into ground Square, Square (so Neutral Square is no longer useless)
+Neutral Triangle is godlike. Jump and fire while falling to deter anyone from approaching. Great hitstun, AP gain, and lockdown on hit; hold to fire repeatedly (this does not combo)
+Flamethrower is perfect up close; recovers very fast on hit and block. Start with this before transitioning into Forward Square so you don't get blown up by rolls
+Air Shock grenade has a greater horizontal arc than ground Shock Grenade, which has greater vertical arc. I've gotten varying arcs on this attack; I'm still experimenting with whether holding Circle adjusts the arc in any way
-Down Square does not have invulnerability because that would make regular rolls worthless, but this move needs to be buffed somehow. The explosion grants practically no hitstun and absolutely no knockback. Making the grenade explode sooner or causing mild knockback would deter players from pressuring Radec after he has dropped a grenade. In the air, it's decent for mobility but Radec is vulnerable while invisible. Landings can be made safer with the grenade being present. It says, "Don't come here," whereas it needs to say, "Get out of here!"
-If Radec activates his Level 3 after one opponent has died but before they have respawned, they will not spawn during the duration of his Super cinematic. I will chock this up to a beta bug or online mishap.

PSN: Archon473, looking for some 2v2 action.

Drencrom

General notes:
+After being knocked to the ground, your character will not stand until you press a direction; you can lay on the ground for quite a while (I never tried to lay indefinitely, just for a short while) and will be invulnerable
+After being knocked against a wall or in the air, there is a timeframe where you are no longer in hitstun and enter a flip state; press Block to flip out sooner or press nothing to remain invulnerable and fall to the ground
+Kratos Level 1 has startup invulnerability to melee attacks and throws (maybe not projectiles)
-Throws are quite vulnerable. For example, Radec's forward throw is invulnerable while he punches then teleports behind his opponent, but once reappears to fire his shotgun he can be hit out of his throw animation.
-Supers have permanently active hitboxes. Level 3 Kratos' sword will always KO who it touches regardless of animation frame. I rolled behind Kratos' upward swing only to be touched by its hilt as he lowered the sword and was KOed while recovering from the roll. Sly's Level 1 is similar; if you walk into the hippo after he (she?) has fallen forward, you will be KOed. The green aura around Radec's Level 2 beam also KOs.
-Sly's Level 3 will KO any character visible on screen; you do not need to be inside the square frame or under the circular reticle.

Radec notes:
+Air Square, Square combos into ground Square, Square (so Neutral Square is no longer useless)
+Neutral Triangle is godlike. Jump and fire while falling to deter anyone from approaching. Great hitstun, AP gain, and lockdown on hit; hold to fire repeatedly (this does not combo)
+Flamethrower is perfect up close; recovers very fast on hit and block. Start with this before transitioning into Forward Square so you don't get blown up by rolls
+Air Shock grenade has a greater horizontal arc than ground Shock Grenade, which has greater vertical arc. I've gotten varying arcs on this attack; I'm still experimenting with whether holding Circle adjusts the arc in any way
-Down Square does not have invulnerability because that would make regular rolls worthless, but this move needs to be buffed somehow. The explosion grants practically no hitstun and absolutely no knockback. Making the grenade explode sooner or causing mild knockback would deter players from pressuring Radec after he has dropped a grenade. In the air, it's decent for mobility but Radec is vulnerable while invisible. Landings can be made safer with the grenade being present. It says, "Don't come here," whereas it needs to say, "Get out of here!"
-If Radec activates his Level 3 after one opponent has died but before they have respawned, they will not spawn during the duration of his Super cinematic. I will chock this up to a beta bug or online mishap.

Wow, great breakdown and info Archon!

General notes:

Radec notes:

Good info. I wanted to know this. I would like it if there was ways to make the game pacing faster by recovering faster from certain knock backs.

Top Bottom