• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

And I just want to play the game with friends or online when I buy the game.

Even if it's easy and the only time commitment is 3 hours or how long it would take to play through it to unlock every character that would be annoying to me.

Capcom learned their lesson with SFIV.

some of us don't have friends to play with! :p

:'(

Ryce

New character select screen:

LbLbs.jpg

Drake's moveset is a little disappointing. A diagonal rope latched onto absolutely nothing pops out of nowhere for him to slide across. A big chunk of building lands randomly in front of him for him to push over.

A little random and uncreative considering it's the same people that utilized the mechanics of LBP so well into Sackboy's moveset.

Loudninja

Drake's moveset is a little disappointing. A diagonal rope latched onto absolutely nothing pops out of nowhere for him to slide across. A big chunk of building lands randomly in front of him for him to push over.

A little random and uncreative considering it's the same people that utilized the mechanics of LBP so well into Sackboy's moveset.
Wait what?

All Drake moves are creative and match the game series and his character.

J-Tier

Sackboy only turns into a few different characters? I feel like that is kind of a waste given the nature of the character. He should have been similar to Kirby, I guess they didn't want the games to be too similar.

I like how unique sackboy is. And no, I'm sure he turns into the entire cast randomly--only in this build does he turn into three.

The only reason I don't like the kirby thing is that it becomes another "weapon" for people who don't like this game to use as a reason to dislike it. It's ignorant and absurd, but that's just how it is.

Wait what?

How is any of Drake supers uncreative?

Observe. It just seems like they're desperately trying to add in Uncharted things, like swinging down a rope, and it doesn't make sense in the environment, but rather than try to incorporate the rope in a believable and clever way, it just pops up. As for the supers, the only one I dislike is the second one where a pillar inexplicably pops up in front of Drake for him to push over. Having played the games, I as Drake have never been able to summon a statue.

I-hate-u

Icons should be a bit bigger, but yeah it looks good. The UI as a whole looks like a step up and the art looks better than the beta

SSReborn

Really don't know what you mean and very much disagree. If its one thing that this game does right it nails the characters. Only disappointments have been the lack of the groovitron which should've been Ratchets level 3 and no Ionic Storm on Cole (though I'm sure its on Evil Cole).

Drakes Moveset Breakdown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e81kE_QDAsc#t=118s

J-Tier

Observe. It just seems like they're desperately trying to add in Uncharted things, like swinging down a rope, and it doesn't make sense in the environment, but rather than try to incorporate the rope in a believable and clever way, it just pops up. As for the supers, the only one I dislike is the second one where a pillar inexplicably pops up in front of Drake for him to push over. Having played the games, I as Drake have never been able to summon a statue.

I really think there should be a huge amount of suspension of disbelief in a game like this. Ropes popping out of nowhere is no different from bazookas being pulled out of your back pocket.

Anyways, I like that they took liberties to give him a moveset that's more representative of the theme of Uncharted, it may be absurd, but I like it better than giving him something akin to Radec (who's a great char on his own).

KalBalboa

Banned
I really think there should be a huge amount of suspension of disbelief in a game like this. Ropes popping out of nowhere is no different from bazookas being pulled out of your back pocket.

Anyways, I like that they took liberties to give him a moveset that's more representative of the theme of Uncharted, it may be absurd, but I like it better than giving him something akin to Radec (who's a great char on his own).

I agree. Without the rope, rocks, etc, Drake would only be able to punch, jump, kick and shoot. I mean, he's already fighting off a Lombax, and sack-person, a killer clown that drives an ice cream truck, etc, let's cut the game some slack.

The moves are pretty creative if you ask me.

You make a good point. I suppose my biggest irk is how it looks aesthetically. If the rope swung out from the top corner of the screen and latched onto the corner on the opposite side for him to grab onto (as if someone offscreen shot a harpoon gun) I wouldn't have an issue with it. While pulling a bazooka from your pouch is indeed absurd, at least there is actually an animation to explain where it came from.

I really think there should be a huge amount of suspension of disbelief in a game like this.

Pretty much. Crossover games practically require it. Look at Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, for example. There's characters that keep enough firepower to bring down a city block in their back pocket. People can inexplicably summon cars from offscreen. Normal defense attorneys can suddenly shoot lases pointer fingers.

I mean, I get the complaint and all, but most crossover fighters usually design movesets around being fun to use while referencing the source series in some way instead of actually trying to create one based around what that character could realistically do.

TheMink

You make a good point. I suppose my biggest irk is how it looks aesthetically. If the rope swung out from the top corner of the screen and latched onto the corner on the opposite side for him to grab onto (as if someone offscreen shot a harpoon gun) I wouldn't have an issue with it. While pulling a bazooka from your pouch is indeed absurd, at least there is actually an animation to explain where it came from.

That crap is freaking awesome!!! Drake FTW!!!!

Also i thought you were zabuza at first look haha, might consider a slightly different avatar? Not a problem or anything, just good to have a distinguishable idenity :p

btkadams

Sackboy is an awesome mascot. He's endearing and full of charm.

It's just a shame I never found his game to be that fun though. Own the second via PS+. How much better is it?

the second is leagues better. playing random online levels/games with friends on the couch is a blast.

Spinluck

Taskmaster and SpiderMan in MVC3 spider swing is the same as Drake's. It comes out of nowhere.

I like Drakes moveset aside from that rope thing, just looks completely outta place and lazy. Taskmaster and SpiderMan swinging from nothing makes sense within' the context of MVC3. We don't see the other end of the web.... lol.

That crap is freaking awesome!!! Drake FTW!!!!

Also i thought you were zabuza at first look haha, might consider a slightly different avatar? Not a problem or anything, just good to have a distinguishable idenity :p

I changed my avatar to show my support for Naked Snake in the game as many others were doing. I seem to be the only one who has yet to move on from such a fleeting phase.

I-hate-u

I like Drakes moveset aside from that rope thing, just looks completely outta place and lazy. Taskmaster and SpiderMan swinging from nothing makes sense within' the context of MVC3. We don't see the other end of the web.... lol.

You see the end of the pinned rope at times in Taskmaster's case. I believe that the same with Spencer as well if you we at the top of the screen.

SSReborn

Sucks that we never really got a more videos for Cole and Jak and Daxter except for that small character breakdown interview that Omar did and the Dev build footage. I think they have the least because I don't believe they were playable at Comic-Con.

Sucks that we never really got a more videos for Cole and Jak and Daxter except for that small character breakdown interview that Omar did and the Dev build footage. I think they have the least because I don't believe they were playable at Comic-Con.

Yeah you're right about that. I really would love some Cole stuff too.
Update the official site Superbot! Do it!

SSReborn

If Ratchet's Level 1 whiffs its so punishable like probably the most I've seen for a Level 1 so far you definitely have to be careful when throwing that out there.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I love Drake's moveset. It's fun and quirky. The Uncharted games are kind of absurd in their own world. Not much is different here.

And yeah, Drake zipping around with the Herme's boots was hilarious. At first I didn't realize he picked them up, so I was like, "why the hell is he doing all this crazy shit? That's not in Uncharted!" Then I saw the Hermes trail, and was like, "Ohhhh. Lol."

All of the new characters and non-beta characters look so much fun to use, and they have a lot of charm to them. I'm dying for this game already! Hopefully the beta patch they put out there in the future has these game play changes and adjustments. It'll be almost like learning the game again.

You know what was a really good idea?
Now if hit by the hedgehog grenade your super aura turns red/orange symbolizing you can't use a super. That was just a good idea. *claps*

Shahed

After seeing how the game looks now, they really shouldn't have released the early build for the beta. Yes I know it was to test the Network Code and not the game itself, but I know. Few people who have been turned off by it.

If they had put the better version out, that might not have happened

gadwn

After seeing how the game looks now, they really shouldn't have released the early build for the beta. Yes I know it was to test the Network Code and not the game itself, but I know. Few people who have been turned off by it.

If they had put the better version out, that might not have happened

Well that beta is pretty small scale so a few people here and there shouldn't matter. And the open beta can't be that far away I guess. There will be one yes?

Question to anyone who has played this game: what is the point of knockback? I guess it can be used to prevent infinities(?) but some moves are just ridiculous and they make it look like the game was designed to have that percentage system from SSB, particularily Radec's sniper, which looks like it has too much range. Than you have characters with like third jumps, flying abilities, or grappling hook-like abilities which just seem out of place. Hope this hasn't been mentioned a thousand times before.

I don't mean to go into this game with Smash Bros. in mind, really trying to disregard that (I'm more of a Sony fan and this is a game I've been waiting for for a very, very long time).

Shahed

Well that beta is pretty small scale so a few people here and there shouldn't matter. And the open beta can't be that far away I guess. There will be one yes?

But then you get things like Giant Bombs quick look based on the beta. Too many people want to write this game off. Ideally you'd give the best first impression possible.

Game looks a lot better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom