• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Or they're trying to make us think the game isn't very deep in development, specifically so that Sony plays their card with this game, and then they counter with theirs. Oh shit.

Fuck, that would be amazing if they had been secretly been in development for years and Sakurai was just like I'M DROPPING DA BOMB

A shameless copy of the Smash Bros formula is a good thing in my eyes, as they are fun to play. The only downer at the moment is the dull and uninspiring roster. This is to be expected with Sony's mediocre first party characters though, it'll be the awesome third party list (a bottomless pit of win) that will redeem this game big time.

Game looks really rough even in video, and even though I've played every game that these characters come from it just feels scattered and all over the place. I'll keep an eye on this and give it a try when it comes out, but the whole "kills via super" I think will kill any longevity this could have had.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not "OMG DAY ONE!!" yet though.

But a SSB style game with proper online does sound pretty fantastic in concept. And I do like most of these PS brand characters.

Too be fair. Kratos isn't exactly deep either. The dude is just angry and kills everything in his way.

Why are people talking about the depth of characters? What does that have to do with the game...? It's more about recognition.

All I know is this thread will keep me occupied a lot today, should be some exciting replies that are full of laughs.

Kyon

Banned
Too be fair. Kratos isn't exactly deep either. The dude is just angry and kills everything in his way.

Is Mario deep? All he does is save the princess and defeats Bowser or the other bosses. That's it. He doesn't even talk. I don't get how deep you want it. Kratos actually has a "deep" storyline in his games. Not grounbreaking but not the same exact story. He is out for vengeance but there is other things going on.

This is getting really silly now

I don't get it... why the fuck is almost everyone being an ass about this game?
And don't come me with thisisneogafdude.gif or neogaf.gif

Honestly I would play a Smash-style game with no recognizable characters if it had decent online.

Not that this game is sure to have decent online, but that's my thought process.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't get it... why the fuck is almost everyone being an ass about this game?
Well you see, this is a place called...
And don't come me with thisisneogafdude.gif or neogaf.gif
Never mind.

Now the argument is about character depth? I mean I like Link but him going in a stormy night to find his uncle is not deeper than Sweet Tooth's obsession with murdering a specific woman. It's just silly.

Donos

Is Mario deep? All he does is save the princess and defeats Bowser or the other bosses. That's it. He doesn't even talk. I don't get how deep you want it. Kratos actually has a deep storyline in his games.

Wanted to say the same. Link is another story but for me Mario is not a "deep" character. Just a very memorable and strong one in my eyes.
I think this game will have tons of good characters. Sony knows that they have not the same quality character rooster as Nintendo but they surely will include a bunch of "cool" 3rd Party characters.

I don't want to know what's going on at places like N4G and consolewars atm.

Shtof

I think some of the Nintendo fans are a little worried that this might steal SSB's glory. Don't worry, it won't.

soultron

Banned
Ico summons Yorda and she spits out watermelon seeds, turning the screen into a bullethell game.

LEVEL 3 SUPER YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Misguided

Banned
I'm just surprised how blatant of a ripoff it is...a good one, but a ripoff at that. Also, it seems to me that the characters had a bit more weight than they do in Smash Bros., which isn't a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it. As well, the graphics just don't "pop"...they seem kind of washed out.

Also, why do the characters glow sometimes? It looks silly and out of place.

Edit: And on that note...

So good. The Buzz mechanic is also very nice. Will annoy some people but it looks like a cool stage gimmick imo

WarioWare4.jpg

lol

Neither mario or link are "deep" or have great personality. We simply grew up with them as the main character in great games. It's kind of the very definition of nostalgia and why they work so well in these type of games.

Kratos is very well many kids this generations new "mario" in that he is the main character in a game they love while growing up. The idea is to have a vast enough array of characters that everyone can connect with at least a few if not the majority and sony has plenty to do that just like nintendo does, they simply aren't going to be aiming it towards nintendo fans and that is just fine.

I don't know if this has already come up in this thread. But the dev they were interviewing in the PS Blog video Omar Kendall professed to having a "long fighting game background". So I googled him up to find out what other games he worked on or at least what fighting community he is in. Turns out he has only worked on 1 other fighting game. But he does have a blog about fighting games. And he does read NeoGAF...

http://new-challenger.blogspot.jp/2008/11/downright-fierce.html

From his blog:
The above picture is from an ad campaign for the console release of Street Fighter 4. I wish I could say I found it over at Kotaku, a cool site that I don't feel gets quite the recognition it deserves, but I actually stumbled upon the set through NeoGAF.

I would have liked to see some characters from God Hand in it - there were some really distinctive ones.

Also, if Sony were smart, they'd release the base game for free, and allow you to add stages / characters on it from games your purchased - ie. purchase Infamous 3 and it unlocks an infamous 3 stage and Cole (yeah I know he's already confirmed but anyhow...)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A Mario Kart AND a Smash Brothers this year, Sony? I love it.

Patapon stage = box ticked. Cast is enjoyably diverse already, hope it continues. Could do with some of the saturation levels getting fucked with, hopefully someone on the dev time puts the time in to do just that, as vibrant is what you want here, not muted.

Protome

A Mario Kart AND a Smash Brothers this year, Sony? I love it.

Patapon stage = box ticked. Cast is enjoyably diverse already, hope it continues. Could do with some of the saturation levels getting fucked with, hopefully someone on the dev time puts the time in to do just that, as vibrant is what you want here, not muted.
Its not a Patapon stage. ITS A PATAPON INVASION OF HADES STAGE :D So awesome

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ico summons Yorda and she spits out watermelon seeds, turning the screen into a bullethell game.

LEVEL 3 SUPER YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Nah, that's level 1. This character will be OP as hell.

Level 3 is summoning that animal from The Last Guardian, it swoops down and picks up a victim, bringing them to development hell. They don't return for the remainder of the match.

OK guys I got this

TWISTED METAL stage- starts out normal, vehicles fighting in the background, occasionally disrupting the fighting arena

then BAM! Time portal! A flood of Wipeout vehicles enters the fray and the background shifts to an insane vehicular war of Twisted Metal vehicles vs Wipeout vehicles.

shink

I'm pretty excited for this, I only wish that they had copied the percentage meter/stage knock offs since that's why I kept coming back to SSB.

I loved playing as Peach and just floating everywhere while everyone else is fighting, and then I'd float by and kill everyone with my side push. Seems like you'll have to be in the action all the time, which I guess is a good thing in a way. I wish the stage elements were at least more of a danger and could potentially kill you instead of just depleting your AP meter.

My other issue is that I wish it was brighter/more colourful, even the LBP/Buzz level looked a bit dull even though the stage itself was excellent.

We'll see how it unfolds, PaRappa looks like loads of fun to play.

Can't wait to see more character reveals.

Kratos is very well many kids this generations new "mario" in that he is the main character in a game they love while growing up. The idea is to have a vast enough array of characters that everyone can connect with at least a few if not the majority and sony has plenty to do that just like nintendo does, they simply aren't going to be aiming it towards nintendo fans and that is just fine.

I've never heard any kids who say/think this, and what parent is letting their young child play God of War?

soultron

Banned
Nah, that's level 1. This character will be OP as hell.

Level 3 is summoning that animal from The Last Guardian, it swoops down and picks up a victim, bringing them to development hell. They don't return for the remainder of the match.
iJY1J3OL9CyqW.gif

Level 2 Super? Lighting stick on fire for hella OP flaming stick swangin' action.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its not a Patapon stage. ITS A PATAPON INVASION OF HADES STAGE :D So awesome

Yeah I gotta say, the stage stuff is by far the most clever stuff shown on the game so far. A LBP stage that gets built as you play? Genius.

This game looks like something that would only come up in a dream of mine. I cannot wait to see more characters and stages, that Hades stage is awesome, and the hots shots one sound sooo cool. How can people downplay this so early with only a few things shown? Why rain on someone else's parade?

I was wondering if this could work. i mean, Smash Bros sounds like a dream come true; all of nintendo's finest in a game. I just don't feel any connection for the characters in this game than in Smash Bros.

Then again however, I realised that it could be different for someone younger than me. Most of us here are from the SNES/Genesis generation. Those characters meant alot for us. Maybe this game right here will have the same effect Smash Bros. had on me. Maybe,

This is exactly what I wanted. The gameplay looks fun, and it gets as referential as I'd hoped. The Buzz trivia stage and first-person Radec special really excite me. Agree that the game could do with a splash more colour though.

I'm not really looking forward to six months of people complaining that "no one knows who Sweet Tooth is" etc.

Hero

Being dead serious for a second here, why does it seem like Fat Princess is a clone of Peach? Through a lot of the videos it looks like she does the hip bomber Side + B move of hers and even has similar animations to a degree. Kratos' spin move appears to behave exactly like Link's Up + B special.

Endo Punk

Having just seen First take on Gametrailers for PSASBR the guys who played the game said the game feels different enough to Smash Bros so seriously people quit your complaining.

GeoramA

I'm going to buy this for the levels alone. The LBP/Buzz stuff had me smiling from ear to ear, as well as seeing Parappa again :)

Hyuga

Banned
I think some of the Nintendo fans are a little worried that this might steal SSB's glory. Don't worry, it won't.
Even the alpha code of this game has a better online-mode already than SSB.

Am I doing it right?
Can we continue now without the fanboy crap?

Skidd

I forgot about Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter. They would fit perfectly in this
IIRC, they've already been mentioned to be in the game.

And seriously, Sly is in there... so obviously they'd have to be in there as well.

More characters I'd like to see: Original Crash and Spyro, and Croc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom