• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margalis

Banned
Removing knocking people off of stages sounds like a bad idea to me for a variety of reasons. That's where a lot of the depth and excitement from Smash comes from, especially since it makes when people are going to die unpredictable. In Smash you can die with full health, in this game if neither player has super you know for a fact that they can't be killed?

Replacing that with dedicated kill moves sounds pretty bad to me.

jimi_dini

I'm serious. I kinda like the tiered super mechanics but I can't kill someone by flying them off the level? I don't know, that's a pretty drastic change in gameplay if you ask me. Also things like the lack of weapons to pick up.

But why do you want a 1:1 ripoff of Smash Bros. Why not just uh well play Smash Bros. Or play Smash Bros that's surely coming to Wii U, if you need HD.

I mean that's like saying I want a game exactly like Uncharted on Wii U. Or a game exactly like Halo on PS3.

Shtof

Donkey Kong, Kirby and Pokemon have all sold more than the God of War series.

That said, Ape Escape series, has sold a surprisingly large amount of copies. More than any of the games currently being used I think.

I'd say those three are in the same category as Kratos and Drake, Mario & Link obviously being above that. And the most popular Pokemons as well. But if Sony can have characters like Crash Bandicoot and Cloud Strife, then they'll have more than enough on their hands. Add in James Bond, a CoD character and a Skyline, and the mass market appeal is in there.

Also, lol@people saying this will bomb. Keep telling yourselves that.

Kyon

Banned
Removing knocking people off of stages sounds like a bad idea to me for a variety of reasons. That's where a lot of the depth and excitement from Smash comes from, especially since it makes when people are going to die unpredictable. In Smash you can die with full health, in this game if neither player has super you know for a fact that they can't be killed?

Removing? ...... That part of gameplay was never said to be there. This may be like Smash but you are talking as if they took the code from Nintendo and switched stuff around.

EDIT: We need a garbage thread :(

SykoTech

check the OP, there's a few new videos there like the PS Blog and Gametrailers first impression videos

Thanks.

For some reason I thought it was a good idea to jump into the thread and look for something, but all I got were crappy and worn out arguments comparing it to Smash Bros characters. :/

It reminds me of DBZ or something, you need beat the fuck out of your opponent while gathering your own strength and when the time is right you Final Flash the living piss out of em.

You mean this game?
572835_12110_front.jpg

gfs_12110_2_4.jpg

It doesn't play like Smash though, since you're pretty much flying all the time, plus the fact that it has 3D space. The combat involves having to keep hitting enemies with regular attacks until power balance is in your favor then use a special attack to damage them (which also resets the power balance). Usually takes 3 special attacks to KO an opponent.

Fun as hell.

It keeps the emphasis on pure combat instead of moving the football when Charlie Brown tries to kick it, which I like. It at least is a major thing that makes the game different over Smash so there are some unique elements to each game.

screens look horrible. i'm probably going to buy it because i'm a huge fan of the smash franchise but half of the fun of those games are sakurais magic and the huge nintendo fan service.

not many of the sony characters are really likeable and they just look way to different, it's hard to have some kind of consistency.

Nakiro

Don't know if it has been mentioned or not, but that one stage is a mix between Jak and Daxter and Hot Shots Golf.

Kurod

Banned
I noticed the Hedgehog and Spear of Destiny as random items. I hope there will be a morph-o-ray or chimp-o-matic from the R&C games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sony does everything that Nintendo does, but 5-10 years later.

Kinda like how Nintendo used actual discs 10 years ago, right?

M.D

Have you even bothered to look at the mechanics?

This looks as much Smash Bros as King of Fighters looks Street Fighter.

Using existing mechanics and improving upon them is something almost every game does. People are just mad because this is the first time someone has actually utilized the core mechanics of Smash Bros and made it look good.

Donkey Kong, Kirby and Pokemon have all sold more than the God of War series.

That said, Ape Escape series, has sold a surprisingly large amount of copies. More than any of the games currently being used I think.

Gran Turismo sold more than any Nintendo franchise (Unless you consider the Wii games as franchises) except Mario and Pokemon. Does it make it more iconic than Donkey Kong?

These last two Uncharted games each sold more than the last Zelda game. Does it make Drake more iconic than Link?

This list wars and who's more "iconic" arguments are dumb.

its not "completely" different by any stretch of the imagination. try harder.

Shit. How different do you want it?

You don't defeat anyone, you simply kill them with kindness and it ends in a tickle match. Whoevers giggle meter fills up first is the Winner.
Everybody is a winner

Going by the previews and videos yeah?
Really!? The people that played it don't know what they are talking about. Gaf does. We've seen a video.

soultron

Banned
Sure, it's shameless, but if it plays better than Smash, who gives a fuck? We all win, if that's the case. This game will probably make the next Smash even better too.

Also:

892854-parappa_large.jpg

FUCK YEAH.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Gran Turismo sold more than any Nintendo franchise (Unless you consider the Wii games as franchises) except Mario and Pokemon. Does it make it more iconic than Donkey Kong?

These last two Uncharted games each sold more than the last Zelda game. Does it make Drake more iconic than Link?

This list wars and who's more "iconic" arguments are dumb.

Gran turismo really doesn't work in this context. It's a racing sim which has little effect on a mascot brawler.

web01

The lack of contrast between the characters and stages is terrible, the glowing character models is not an acceptable fix. Also you know they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel when they need to have a buzz stage and generic helghast soldier as a character. Not feeling this at all.

Sony just does not have the roster of characters for this type of game especially without significant third party support.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That art...yikes. Although to be fair, it would be pretty damn hard to create an art style that would consistently suit all of these different characters and universes. I can't say I'm particularly excited about this, but it features my man Sly Coopz and it'll let me beat the crap out of that big dummy Kratos so I might give it a shot. We'll see.

Kurod

Banned

You don't defeat anyone, you simply kill them with kindness and it ends in a tickle match. Whoevers giggle meter fills up first is the Winner.
Everybody is a winner

You'd have to win by losing and garnering random pity points and bonuses from nonsensical bullshit...but then it would be too much like Mario Party.

Shtof

The lack of contrast between the characters and stages is terrible, the glowing character models is not an acceptable fix. Also you know they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel when they need to have a buzz stage and generic helghast soldier as a character. Not feeling this at all.

Sony just does not have the roster of characters for this type of game especially without significant third party support.

Calling Radec a generic Helghast soldier just reveals your lack of knowledge.

The Helghast soldier is a specific character. Have you made sure to reprimand Nintendo for making Electroplankton and PictoChat stages? If not, I'm a little confused why you would be so quick to bash a stage for being based on a lengthy Sony series.

CrisKre

You don't defeat anyone, you simply kill them with kindness and it ends in a tickle match. Whoevers giggle meter fills up first is the Winner. Everybody is a winner

Let me play that game with you. This is a game with such creative force it will break new grown in the industry. just so fresh the newness oozes out of every pore. its so different i cant contain myself.

soultron

Banned

Dude, Radec is hardly a "generic Helghast soldier." Even as someone who hasn't played all of the Killzone games I know that much.

And the Buzz stage actually has you answer questions that give you an advantage in the game. It's an actual mechanic. Buzz is pretty huge in the UK, IIRC.

What a glorious game that would be! Nintendo vs. Sony All Stars.

I suspect real wars would be declared on that day, civil unrest and many nerds punching others in public.

I would love the shit out of such a game though. Kicking Kratos ass with Jigglypuff^^

I don't know if the universe could handle so much awesomeness.

Calling Radec a generic Helghast soldier just reveals your lack of knowledge.

It also reveals quite a lot about the franchises mass appeal, don't you think?

DC R1D3R

Banned
But why do you want a 1:1 ripoff of Smash Bros. Why not just uh well play Smash Bros. Or play Smash Bros that's surely coming to Wii U, if you need HD.

I mean that's like saying I want a game exactly like Uncharted on Wii U. Or a game exactly like Halo on PS3.

you haz haze

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really hope they have a lot of characters planned. 'Stay tuned for reveals' sounds like 'a couple' to me. I just don't know how many characters Sony has that they can pull. I'm sure third party will just be Spyro and Crash.

Hyuga

Banned
+

The tears.... they taste awesome!

Have you even played KZ2?
Radec was the best Helghast character in the whole franchise.

Mxrz

Everybody is a winner

I'd play this too if it were in the rules options.

Seems like there's a potential gold mine of DLC they could do since their relation to 3rd parties isn't utter hellabuse. Poke Valve, Capcom, EA, N1, etc. Having one of the larger cuts in SE should help them too. Invite everyone.

SykoTech

No, all it reveals is that person doesn't know what they're talking about. Like people who used to think Samus was Metroid.

I haven't touched any Killzone game and never will, but even I knew more about Radec than that.

I really hope they have a lot of characters planned. 'Stay tuned for reveals' sounds like 'a couple' to me. I just don't know how many characters Sony has that they can pull. I'm sure third party will just be Spyro and Crash.

Sony has more than enough strong characters to choose from.

I suspect real wars would be declared on that day, civil unrest and many nerds punching others in public.

I would love the shit out of such a game though. Kicking Kratos ass with Jigglypuff^^

I don't know if the universe could handle so much awesomeness.

I think the fact that most of the posts bagging on sony's lack of character possibilities come from the same people complaining about other random weird stuff and saying how sony should be ashamed of themselves for copying nintendo in such a undeniable way more revealing really.

Not sure why people cant just be happy to finally have genre competition and for people that simply like sony games more then nintendo games to be able to enjoy the same stuff that they have been enjoying with smash bros. Not everything needs to be some war or massive competition.

Bazza

Dude, Radec is hardly a "generic Helghast soldier." Even as someone who hasn't played all of the Killzone games I know that much.

And the Buzz stage actually has you answer questions that give you an advantage in the game. It's an actual mechanic. Buzz is pretty huge in the UK, IIRC.

Dunno about the whole of the UK but my and my friends love buzz, really fun game with 8 people and a shit load of booze.

Liamario

Banned
Loving that comment from earlier about how the existence of this game is just plain wrong. You would think gaffers would be mature enough not to have an allegiance to a brand.

But in any case, it does look good; and that's with only 6 characters revealed. I hope we get a huge roster and some really cool level design.

I wonder why Sony left it so late in the cycle to develop this game though?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Loving that comment from earlier about how the existence of this game is just plain wrong. You would think gaffers would be mature enough not to have an allegiance to a brand.

But in any case, it does look good; and that's with only 6 characters revealed. I hope we get a huge roster and some really cool level design.

Probably getting the third parties on board.

Kyon

Banned

It's been developed for a few years now it's not really late in the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom