• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenyal

Speaking about being sensible, are you telling me this is not a rip-off and thats the " sensible" thing to say? I dont get it. It has some gameplay differences, tiny when considering the big picture mind you, but EVERY OTHER aspect of this game is the same in concept and design than another game. Would you argue with that?

the goal of the game being completely different is a tiny difference?

Kyon

Banned
I dont want something ripped from smashbros downing the genre of its quality because its not good.

these games were all in the same exact genre as Smash and all were amazing imo. All Stars is going to be amazing too (from what we've seen.)

600full-battle-stadium-d.o.n-cover.jpg

Jump_Super_Stars_Coverart.png

ViewtifulJoeRedHot_PSPBOX-Trared_2006boxart_160w.jpg

5c0bd860b0a9.jpg

Sundayxmagazinecover.jpg

antonz

I think they are implying that an italian looking plumber that never talks and a elf in elfish clothing that never talks have more personality and charisma then those two.

And before people get all upset with me, I love mario and zelda games but some of this stuff is getting a little ridiculous with stating opinion as fact in here.

No thats no what people are saying at all.

They are saying if you take 24 Characters from Smash Brothers and line them up and 24 uniquely Sony characters and line them up 9 times out of 10 people will know far more Nintendo characters than Sony ones.

Shit 99% of the lists people are making up for the game are Multiplatform characters

I like the way you get points. The goal is to gain AP while making others lose or waste their own which makes it so you constantly want to be in the middle of combat rather then nailing 1 move to spike a character into the abyss or to just occupy a ledge all day. You actually need to start in full blown combat and end it that way as well. It reminds me of DBZ or something, you need beat the fuck out of your opponent while gathering your own strength and when the time is right you Final Flash the living piss out of em.

I also like how because of this, they say there is a much more emphasis on comboing your attacks together allowing for more depth in the actual combat. I also like how each character has a very distinct style of play with Kratos up close, and Parappa keeping his distance and being an AP gainer and moving in for the final strike when ready, etc. One thing I really hope doesn't happen but shouldn't is nne thing that pisses me off with Smash Brawl. You see diversity to a degree and then see stupid shit like Fox, Falco, and Wolf who are basically the same fucking character 3 times over down to the damn Land Master final smash. I do not want to see this game filled with stupid crap like that.

Graphically, I don't see what the hell people are going on about. I think it mainly comes down to liking the art style or not or just not being able to appreciate a games visuals without a ridiculous amount of bump mapping. The game is crisp, has AA in place, has plenty of color, plenty of shit going on screen, and all runs at a solid 60fps. All this topped with great, fluid controls, good stuff. I can say the highlight characters when their super meter is full is pretty stupid and it reminds me of X-Factor in MvsC3 but will most likely, like that game, not be near as bad when actually playing it.

And with their roster, they have a ton to choose from. People just need to actually look back farther then the PS2 era and you will find a ton of gems. Sir Daniel Fortesque, Tomba, Blasto, Jersey Devil anyone? And with 3rd party being a big factor for characters as well, I fully expect Crash and Spyro and probably Snake and Cloud. Hell, the sky is the limit.

Anyways, the footage looks great and game looks like a lot of fun and can't wait to see more and to see what they have in store for the game. Bring on E3!

Ravage

Nintendo sells smash on the strength of its franchises. Sony just doesn't have the recognizable characters or franchises for this. I'm sure it will be fun, maybe I don't know enough about the studio. It will be interesting to play at least.

I don't think anyone here will dispute the fact that Ninty 1st party franchises have more market appeal. Heck Sony's best-selling franchise GT probably won't even appear in this game apart from maybe a GT-theme level.

But just a thought, what if Sony realise that PS Allstars will never do anywhere near SmashBros numbers and budgeted the game accordingly? Battle Royale certainly don't look like a big-budget title and it doesn't need to be. It could still be profitable while catering to fans of their 1st party output. Then there's the aspect of 3rd party appeal and the inclusion of online features which could make a difference. It's worth a shot at the very least.

I get that people like to play as characters they like. Although I was a Marth guy before I knew what Fire Emblem was.

But to say that you just don't want to play a game (Smash Bros.) even though it looks fun? That's what flabbergasts me.

There are plenty of fighting games released this gen and i sure as hell don't buy them all. Because with the options, i get to choose those that really appeal to me - Tekken and DoA5.

Even if I don't recognize a single character in a game like Smash or Sony All-Stars, if the gameplay was great, I'd play it. Because it's fun. Just treat it like a new IP. I don't understand someone who would say, "That game looks really fun. But I won't play it because I don't know/like any of the characters."

Unfortunately, i believe that will apply to most people. I know a couple of diehard LoD fans who will buy this if Dart is included in the roster.

A big part of the appeal of franchise fighting games for a lot of people are the characters. If I don't enjoy Marvel, I'm not going to buy Marvel vs. Capcom 3, even if the gameplay might be great. There are a lot of fighting games to choose from besides that one - so why settle for something with characters that I will enjoy less?

Well, the post in question was referring to Smash Bros. So it's not about choosing a different fighting game. Smash is sorta its own beast. Nothing else, except that shitty Hudson game, played like it.

So if you wanted to play that type of game, you weren't going to play King of Fighters, even if that's the technical better fighter. What I don't get is someone that sees a game, thinks it would play great, and then says they don't want to play it because of the IP.

bandresen said:
I think there are many reasons why people play games and the mechanically best game is not always the one that wins.

If I want to play an optimal Smash Bros. game with humans I will need 3 more people in addition to myself and that is just easier done online than locally. I don't live near fighting game tournaments nor am I in the age-bracket where having 4 people meet over at a buddy to play a game all day is a scenario I find myself in frequently.

In addition to that when I do have people over that are interested in playing a game they prefer things they know so a Mortal Kombat 9 trumps a Smash Bros purely because I know people that have nostalgia for the franchise.

I don't see the issue for a clone. I even think listening to the people describing the gaming mechanics it's not enough of a clone.

I get you. If you like Smash Bros also and you want to play online, I'm on board with where you're coming from. That's where I think Nintendo fucked up. They lost you because of a flaw in their game/online platform.

What I was objecting to more was the idea that someone didn't want to play a "Smash Bros. game" until this one. That baffles me. If I see an any-type-of-game that looks fun, I want to play it. I don't care if the IP is a cool new one like Lock's Quest or a series I previously had no interest in like Resident Evil 4.

As for the mechanics, we'll see. These aren't journalists. They're "enthusiast press," and there have been numerous articles on how coddled they are into giving positive previews.

I'm sure this game isn't going to be horrible though. And with online and possibly not owning a Wii, I can see why people would pick this up.

M.D

They are saying if you take 24 Characters from Smash Brothers and line them up and 24 uniquely Sony characters and line them up 9 times out of 10 people will know far more Nintendo characters than Sony ones.

Shit 99% of the lists people are making up for the game are Multiplatform characters

And what does this have to do with this being a good game?

Well I wasn't quite expecting such a blatant rip-off of SSB but it has potential I guess.

The characters look a little... small? Not sure, but something seems off when I look at the screens. One to keep an eye on anyway.

Steaks

By the way the mechanical differences between this game and Smash Bros. is actually pretty genius. They managed to stifle the Fox stage problem and the "watch others fight" problem of 1v1 and FFA in Smash through the way KOs in this game works. They not only managed to make the game better for random people, but for competitive players.

Xun

Made me laugh seeing a Helghast in there, since it sums it all up really.

Having said that, I'm intrigued.

But just a thought, what if Sony realise that PS Allstars will never do anywhere near SmashBros numbers and budgeted the game accordingly? Battle Royale certainly don't look like a big-budget title and it doesn't need to be. It could still be profitable while catering to fans of their 1st party output. Then there's the aspect of 3rd party appeal and the inclusion of online features which could make a difference. It's worth a shot at the very least.

I would agree on this very much, if Sony was smart they gave the studio a smart but manageable budget so that if it does not sell, it will be a minimal loss to Sony. I mean really, how much can a game like this cost? Especially when you already have assets at your disposal of characters, etc.

The characters seem out of place to me, as if they forced multiple art style together. Even though Smash took liberties with the character design, I never felt it was too off.

This..idk. I hope is fun, but the whole look turns me off.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
By the way the mechanical differences between this game and Smash Bros. is actually pretty genius. They managed to stifle the Fox stage problem and the "watch others fight" problem of 1v1 and FFA in Smash through the way KOs in this game works. They not only managed to make the game better for random people, but for competitive players.

It's different but won't necessarily have its own share of issues. Being so super reliant is going to bring in the potential of some characters having bad supers, meaning they can't score.

I hope it's like SSB in the sense that it has a lot of match type customization, it'd be a shame to force the super score only ruleset all the time.

Yeah, because every character in Smash was an iconic character that everyone knew and had a rich history and personality. Oh, wait.

Not that I agree with the initial reveals (who the fuck cares or knows about Fat Princess or killzone guy?) but the iconic character argument is so weak.

Mxrz

Blasto would be weird with the whole Phil Hartman thing. His VA was a huge part of the game & character. Dunno. Wouldn't mind seeing him though.

Uh, since half of brawls roster is either secondary characters from like 1 of 3 main games or characters from more obscure, old and or non mainstream games? I don't think its absurd to imagine people recognizing sony characters just as much if not more depending on the kind of gamer they are.

People seem to forget which console won last gen for some weird reason.

edit: and since that last part is sure to rile feathers ill add that im not knocking nintendo but the whole lol sony characters mentality is weird to me since not everyone is in love with nintendo characters alone.

And what does this have to do with this being a good game?

Because one of the strengths of SSB is that you know most of these characters and they are well known and now you pit them against one another?! That is a huge draw and makes for a great frenzied game. Now take Sony's SSB clone and do i really care if i fight someone with a Fat Princess and some other B-tier Sony character? Not really interested at all.

Kyon

Banned
It's different but won't necessarily have its own share of issues. Being so super reliant is going to bring in the potential of some characters having bad supers, meaning they can't score.

I hope it's like SSB in the sense that it has a lot of match type customization, it'd be a shame to force the super score only ruleset all the time.

Lots of custom settings for matches is confirmed. I hope they show off the menu of what rules to set :)

daakusedo

The mixed backround level is interesting but overall that's not good.
The characters don't seem to stand out of the image with the monotonous colors and it looks more like the TMNT battle game than smash bros, always on the graphical side.

SykoTech

So I'm awake again.

Is there any new trailers/footage other than what GTTV showed? I don't seem to see any at first glance.

CrisKre

go on, entertain me. how are they exactly the same in the sense of what the goal of the game is?

In not here to entertain you. But how about this: You build damage to opponents, check. Perform special moves that may make you win the fight, check. the core design is the EXACT same. Thats not to mention the whole concept behind the game, the physics, EVERYTHING.

But let me indulge you. This is a fresh new take on the videogame medium. Creative. Innovative. Groundbreaking. Happy?

darkwing

I'm also kind of baffled that Nathan Drake isn't part of the initial cast. Are they going to be rolled out gradually?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

The game features a number of cool game modes for both single and multiplayer, with a focus on online play which features a robust tournament mode. Players will be able to compete against each other as well as play cooperatively. We can’t wait for you all to try it for yourself.
Until then, please stay tuned; there are plenty more features, characters, and levels we want to show. And you definitely don’t want to miss what we’ve got in store for E3!

Liberty4all

Banned
Oh man 5:30 EST in the morning here. Amera-GAF is just waking up, most who haven't heard the news yet. Today is going to be epiiiiccccc

Maybe if your from the NES era , most of friends only know 2 Nintendo characters Mario and Link.
They know more characters that used to be on PS systems along with guys like Drake , Kratos etc etc .

Speaking about being sensible, are you telling me this is not a rip-off and thats the " sensible" thing to say? I dont get it. It has some gameplay differences, tiny when considering the big picture mind you, but EVERY OTHER aspect of this game is the same in concept and design than another game. Would you argue with that?

What? I just quoted you earlier and said it takes a ton of elements from Smash Bros. You just quoted me and argued that you knew better by watching a game than people know by playing a game.

Yes, it's a franchise fighter that is far more casual than most fighting games. Sony is not so stupid that they would try to make a competitive fighting game, so a game like this is their only option. Before you say "why didn't they make something new and original?!", the reason is that they took the best ideas for this kind of game. Interactive stage, items, simple movelist, flashy gameplay, etc. That Nintendo did these things is a demonstration that these things are conducive to a good, relatively casual franchise fighter. That you are so quick to judge that the gameplay elements Sony brings to the table as tiny, when many previews have suggested otherwise, tells me that you want it to be a ripoff and want to be able to say "I told you so!" if it does turn out to be a ripoff.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I get you. If you like Smash Bros also and you want to play online, I'm on board with where you're coming from. That's where I think Nintendo fucked up. They lost you because of a flaw in their game/online platform.
That's not the only reason they lost me, it's just the main one.

For me a game is also a lot about the aesthetics and how much I like the characters and if I think they are cool to look at.

Maybe I'm shallow, but being burned one too many times I'm also not interested in playing most JRPGs any more because they often feature dialog and story that I find childish or their main character is looking like an emo or loli. The battle system would have to be above exceptional to even get a second look from me.

Things that are not gameplay can influence my decision. I choose a combination of aesthetics and mechanics with a preference of aesthetics when playing almost any game where they are not independent of each other.

I think the best characters in Smash Bros are Samus, Link and maybe Snake + Captain Falcon.
So even though Kirby has cool gameplay, I'm not playing as him. I've had this discussion before, quite a few people just can't understand that.

Kyon

Banned
Because one of the strengths of SSB is that you know most of these characters and they are well known and now you pit them against one another?! That is a huge draw and makes for a great frenzied game. Now take Sony's SSB clone and do i really care if i fight someone with a Fat Princess and some other B-tier Sony character? Not really interested at all.

Pit, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem Characters, Characters from Mother, The dude from Pikmin are iconic and well known now? And not B-Tier? News to me. I don't see how it's any different tbh. And it shouldn't really matter if it's a good game :)

Endo Punk

I have played Smash melee and really enjoyed it, unless I have Battle Royale in my hands and playing it I can't say it's a rip-off. So many games look similar but the gameplay and how it feels is the deciding factor. Has any article claimed that this game plays exactly like Smash Bros?

darkwing

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player, campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.

hopefully this quote gets added into the OP

plainr_

Exactly my thought.

notsureifserious.gif

I'm serious. I kinda like the tiered super mechanics but I can't kill someone by flying them off the level? I don't know, that's a pretty drastic change in gameplay if you ask me. Also things like the lack of weapons to pick up.

Kyon

Banned
I have played Smash melee and really enjoyed it, unless I have Battle Royale in my hands and playing it I can't say it's a rip-off. So many games look similar but the gameplay and how it feels is the deciding factor. Has any article claimed that this game plays exactly like Smash Bros?

None so far. They mostly just mention how it's similar in terms of the genre, characters from other franchises deal.

Also things like the lack of weapons to pick up.

Weapons/Items are 100% confirmed. Watch the GT first take video

I'm serious. I kinda like the tiered super mechanics but I can't kill someone by flying them off the level? I don't know, that's a pretty drastic change in gameplay if you ask me. Also things like the lack of weapons to pick up.

There are weapons and other items to pick up. And you can kill people by knocking them off, its just not 100% like the fish on one of the stages.

Corto

What a glorious game that would be! Nintendo vs. Sony All Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom