• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure what you mean, if it kills you it takes a KO away which then means you fall behind other players. It's kind of hard to tell anything balance wise from 6 characters of what is inevitably going to be a much larger roster.

Not having knocked off the screen stuff can be seen as a negative or a positive. Some people don't like that part of Smash bros and thinks it cheapens the experience. Either way It's waaaaay to early to tell and kind of weird that its both to much like smash bros and to little like smash bros so far lol.

Yeah IF the fish kills, that a GOOD thing. But if all it does is take away AP, or stun like the other stage hazards I'm seeing, it doesn't mean anything in the big picture. The tension from a stage hazard should always be "This thing might kill me if I get hit." No one ever died from the stage hazards in any of the videos I've seen. Even the Hades shockwave is a minor inconvenience.

As for getting knocked off the stage cheapening the experience, that's madness. Knocking people off the stage and the freedom of movement are 2 of the biggest things that set SSB apart in the fighting genre. I don't understand why they cloned almost everything but that. They can still have the tiered Super meters and AP mechanics ALONG with the knock off kills. It would only add another layer to the game, and make the moveset of each character more important.

The stage hazards and items takes away your AP.

Meh? Doesn't really seem like a big deal. Hell, Parappa has a move that gives him automatic AP. It just feels like they left the stage KO part of Smash out for no reason.

KingK

ITT: People who never played Playstation games bitching about not recognizing Playstation characters.

Also, I'm a little skeptical about the only way to KO another player being the specials, but I guess I'll have to play it to find out. First impression on the gameplay info is that it looks and sounds fun, but not as good as Smash Bros. I'm definitely intrigued though, and want to try it out.

Utako

Banned
I think it's kind of ugly, like a less-cohesive SSB.

I'm down with everything else so far, however. Although, not sure if I would actually buy yet.

NEO0MJ

I dunno. I think that "stage crossovers" is pretty damn cool. For one, you can pack in a lot more nods to a lot more series. And besides, it makes thematic sense, doesn't it? It's basically saying that the crossing over isn't just happening with your four characters, but with the whole game. That's one thing that this game seems to do pretty well to set it apart from Smash, at first glance.

I suppose it makes sense when you put it that way.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Unfortunately most journalists seem to lack a spine to say, "hey this game doesn't feel as fluid as I would like, how about fixing this and that up?" because of the way the industry works within.
So we agree. I'm not the one giving the game a free pass, I wasn't there to preview it.

The reality of the situation is that the gaming press is not known for calling out games before they are completed. They are not even known for calling out games that are completed if they are from a influential publisher.

I want the game to be good, because as a game player I want every game to be good.

To me, gamers care about gameplay. If you want a Sony game that plays like Smash Bros but you don't want to play Smash Bros, you're not actually a fan of games. You're a fan of platforms.
You have admitted as much in other posts that there is a legitimate reason that people are excited for this kind of game on the PS3. Namely the online functionality and the increased visual fidelity. Now you backtrack again?

Ravage

To me, gamers care about gameplay. If you want a Sony game that plays like Smash Bros but you don't want to play Smash Bros, you're not actually a fan of games. You're a fan of platforms.

So why do fan-service games sell then? As long as you have fun playing with characters you love, i don't see a problem here. Gamers play games to have fun, simple as that.

And why must gameplay as an aspect, be completely separated from everything else that makes up a videogame? What about visual appeal? Online features? Besides, some of the levels (like Hades/Patapon and LBP) have unique gameplay elements that will please fans of the respective games.

And this game being competitive for smash bros doesnt hurt at all the only thing I hope is that its a quality game..I dont want something ripped from smashbros downing the genre of its quality because its not good.

Are you kidding me? I'm guessing by your name you're a Smash Bros. player; are you seriously that blind to the fanbase of your own game, which will very often choose characters not because they're the strongest, or the fastest, or the coolest, or the easiest to learn, or the hardest to master, or the very best, but because they really really like that series? Gaming is about having fun. I'm still just flabbergasted that you don't get the fun factor of playing characters from game series that you play.

Like the guys on Gametrailers said, not having death from being knocked off the stage or from environmental hazards removes a lot of the tension from the game. Only getting points from supers was the first thing that really made me double take in a bad way and hearing them say that validates my concern. The stage hazards and items mean nothing if your super is all that matters. I really hope they backtrack on that decision and add points for getting blasted off the stage.
There are definitely environmental hazards and deaths, just done a little differently. For example in the Sandover village stage, if you fall off the island and get knocked in the water, that giant bastard fish starts chasing you just like in Jak & Daxter. If you don't make it back up in time he catches you and instant KO's you, which is one lost point for you. Or in the LBP stage when Buzz pops up, if you answer the trivia question wrong you get a pie in the face which KO's you.

neoanarch

I feel the exact sameway, I don't get why some are so bitter.

I think some of you are being super defensive over some pretty appropriate reactions. The game has more than a passing resemblance to Smash Bros. I mean to a shocking degree of resemblance. Was Sony or you really expecting something different from first reactions?

Nintendo sells smash on the strength of its franchises. Sony just doesn't have the recognizable characters or franchises for this. I'm sure it will be fun, maybe I don't know enough about the studio. It will be interesting to play at least.

Hyuga

Banned
Looks terrible. I'm embarassed for you, Sony.

ty3577gz.png

CrisKre

So why do fan-service games sell then? As long as you have fun playing with characters you love, i don't see a problem here.

And why must gameplay as an aspect, be completely separated from everything else that makes up a videogame? What about visual appeal? Online features? Besides, some of the levels (like Hades/Patapon and LBP) have unique gameplay elements that will please fans of the respective games.

You can do a fan-service game in millions of ways. This one in particular I bet you have seen before. Think about it. lol.

The problem with some of us is not with any of the points you just mentioned. Its with the fact this is EXACTLY. SMASH. F**KING. BROTHERS. with sony characters pasted on and a little small twist.

Castef

Banned
Do I have to use a joypad to play this or can I simply use my PlayStation Move and keep it horizontally?

You have admitted as much in other posts that there is a legitimate reason that people are excited for this kind of game on the PS3. Namely the online functionality and the increased visual fidelity. Now you backtrack again?

The two aren't mutually exclusive, at least not in context. But if you're going to accuse me of backtracking, then I'm going to fire back in an internet-forum aggro argumentative manner, and I'll accuse you of completely taking everything out of context.

So there.

Anyway, I'm responding to someone who posted "Finally a Smash Bros. game I want to play."

Yeah, I think that's ridiculous. Unless the sole reason to want to play a Smash Bros. game is to play online, but that doesn't make sense to me as someone that values gameplay. After all, if the gameplay didn't interest you, you wouldn't play it no matter how good the matchmaking and latency was.

And while I think visual fidelity will attract some people, I don't view that as a valid reason to NOT want to play Smash Bros. If the gameplay looks interesting to you, it would seem to reason that you would want to play it.

But yeah, understanding that requires things like context.

Gustav

Banned
Looks like this game is a must like. If it doesn't appeal to you, you must be trolling. With bitter, salty tears streaming down your face. A true meltdown from which you will never recover.

El Sloth

Banned
I hope the Patapon aren't regulated to being background characters only.

A single Patapon hero or a small group of Patapons similar to Olimar and the Pikmin in Brawl would be sweet.

pramath

Banned
Anyway, so ASBR looks good. I mean, I'm not sure if it looks as good as Smash- to be fair, Smash Bros has a three game headstart on ASBR- but it looks fun enough that I'll definitely buy it.
In any case, I look at this more as a sort of coming of age for Sony's first party. Where it's strong, varied and versatile enough that they can have their own crossover fighter. A celebration of all things Playstation (like a celebration of all things Nintendo with SSB). Can't wait to see how well this does.

Bazza

I agree, generic guy from Killzone and Kratos....im just trying to understand whats the point of this, the characters have zero charisma...heck is that the clown guy from twisted metal really???Also Parappa doesnt seem to blend at all, its like a cardboard...

Just because you don't like the characters doesn't mean others don't but based on your post your gaming knowledge is piss poor or your just trolling.

I think it's odd, though, that they didn't include Jak & Daxter, or Ratchet, and/or Nathan Drake, as early character reveals. Only Kratos and Sly really stand out as being Sony equivalents of the Mario/Link/Pikachu/Kirby quartet of reveals.

The problem with some of us is not with any of the points you just mentioned. Its with the fact this is EXACTLY. SMASH. F**KING. BROTHERS. with sony characters pasted on and a little small twist.

Except it isn't. Did you even bother to watch the video that I linked to earlier? It seems like you just have your mind on it being an exact duplicate and you aren't willing to listen to anyone that's actually played it.

There are definitely environmental hazards and deaths, just done a little differently. For example in the Sandover village stage, if you fall off the island and get knocked in the water, that giant bastard fish starts chasing you just like in Jak & Daxter. If you don't make it back up in time he catches you and instant KO's you, which is one lost point for you. Or in the LBP stage when Buzz pops up, if you answer the trivia question wrong you get a pie in the face which KO's you.

Hmm, well as long as the stage hazards do something significant (like kill) that's just fine.

Now as for knocking people off the screen....

Nintendo sells smash on the strength of its franchises. Sony just doesn't have the recognizable characters or franchises for this. I'm sure it will be fun, maybe I don't know enough about the studio. It will be interesting to play at least.

Tired of hearing this argument. Let me repeat myself again.

1) Nintendo has an age advantage. Mario first appeared over 10 years before the original PlayStation released. Plus the NES was one of the first really popular home gaming consoles. Of course these characters are going to be a little more iconic.

2) Another part of why most characters aside from Mario are iconic is because they are featured in these cross-overs with Mario. You don't think having years of PlayStation characters in cross-overs with some of their more popular characters would make there less known characters much more recognizable?

You can do a fan-service game in millions of ways. This one in particular I bet you have seen before. Think about it. lol.

Well, let's just think about this. Yeah, I would call it a game that pretty flagrantly takes a lot of ideas from Smash Bros.

I would also read the previews that exclaim the numerous differences in the feel and mechanics of the game from Smash Bros.

I would also then read your post with tons of scrutiny, since generally, a person who hasn't played a game has less knowledge of how it operates than a person who has played it.

Clearly, this thread has fanboys on both sides. You're one of those, sir.

Amir0x

Banned
Gah, looks shamelessly like Smash Bros. Smash Bros. blows, and I don't even think there's any characters in the roster I see to make me want to buy it on those terms. At least in Smash Bros. I had the Mother characters/levels so I could justify it as part of my Mother collection...

...I was hoping for a more Powerstone-esque set up here. Smash Bros. is waaay too shallow for me, and I don't think this looks much better on the depth part. And visually it actually looks quite ugly too for a PS3 game. Hope I'm wrong but this looks so much like Smash that I doubt it. Interest evaporated

Are you kidding me? I'm guessing by your name you're a Smash Bros. player; are you seriously that blind to the fanbase of your own game, which will very often choose characters not because they're the strongest, or the fastest, or the coolest, or the easiest to learn, or the hardest to master, or the very best, but because they really really like that series? Gaming is about having fun. I'm still just flabbergasted that you don't get the fun factor of playing characters from game series that you play.

Personally, I like Smash because it's easy to pick up and hard to master. That's what I enjoy in games. As for characters being "easiest to learn" or "hardest to master", I definitely put that in the play category.

I get that people like to play as characters they like. Although I was a Marth guy before I knew what Fire Emblem was.

But to say that you just don't want to play a game (Smash Bros.) even though it looks fun? That's what flabbergasts me.

Even if I don't recognize a single character in a game like Smash or Sony All-Stars, if the gameplay was great, I'd play it. Because it's fun. Just treat it like a new IP. I don't understand someone who would say, "That game looks really fun. But I won't play it because I don't know/like any of the characters."

Danielsan

Wow, the outrage is absolutely fucking hilarious.
Of course the concept is a blatant copy of Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers. But people need to remember that this is how genres are born. It's like screaming bloody murder that Doom is a copy of Wolfenstein or Mortal Kombat a copy of Street Fighter. Yes those games were heavily inspired by their predecessors and in many ways tried to copy and recreate their succes, but they also brought new aspects to the table and eventually became their own well established and recognized brands.

Given that Smash Brothers is exclusive to Nintendo I see no wrong in introducing its fun gameplay concepts to another platform and a new audience. Also some people grew up with Playstation instead of Nintendo. Having their own fan service game is valid.

CrisKre

Except it isn't. Did you even bother to watch the video that I linked to earlier? It seems like you just have your mind on it being an exact duplicate and you aren't willing to listen to anyone that's actually played it.

It isn't? Have YOU watched the videos? Are you REALLY going to say that with a straight face?

prwxv3

I will say that it does look like smash bros but from what I have heard and read in previews the way it plays is much different.

El Sloth

Banned
I would have thought companies riffing on their own versions of Smash Bros would have been a good thing.

I mean, I know I'm not the only one that's wished for decent Smash Bros clones.

Edit: You lot should at the very least wait until we have more information how the game plays, it's systems, or more in depth impressions before declaring the gameplay is obviously shit. I mean really.

I'm curious about how well this game will sell. Do people (other than internet weirdos) really give enough of a shit about Sony as a "brand" to buy a game like this? Maybe in Europe, but in America or Japan?

I'm also kind of baffled that Nathan Drake isn't part of the initial cast. Are they going to be rolled out gradually? I wonder if Sony can wrangle (movie) Spider-Man into this.

Also, is anyone else a bit creeped out at the notion of a trio of murderous psychopaths on the highest level (Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Helghast.. guy) being in the same game with Parappa and Sly? Snake may have been a stretch for Smash Bros., but MGS is a very game-y series renowned for it's sense of humor, something that GOW and KZ in particularly are completely devoid of

Gustav

Banned
Of course the concept is a blatant copy of Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers. But people need to remember that this is how genres are born. It's like screaming bloody murder that Doom is a copy of Wolfenstein or Mortal Kombat a copy of Street Fighter. Yes those games were heavily inspired by their predecessors and in many ways tried to copy and recreate their succes, but they also brought new aspects to the table and eventually became their own well established and recognized brands.

I doubt it's about the genre. It's the concept of a mascot fighter that has been ripped off.

antonz

I am a bit surprised that Sony is giving a first game studio a lot of pull making it their holiday 2012 bet. They will try to make this a series it seems. I'm pleased with the footage and the over the top details of the special moves and interactive background. I hope this ends up good and fun.

Sony specifically built this studio for the game so it is possible that its a potential franchise though I suppose results will determine the future

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Anyway, I'm responding to someone who posted "Finally a Smash Bros. game I want to play."

Yeah, I think that's ridiculous. Unless the sole reason to want to play a Smash Bros. game is to play online, but that doesn't make sense to me as someone that values gameplay. After all, if the gameplay didn't interest you, you wouldn't play it no matter how good the matchmaking and latency was.
I think there are many reasons why people play games and the mechanically best game is not always the one that wins.

If I want to play an optimal Smash Bros. game with humans I will need 3 more people in addition to myself and that is just easier done online than locally. I don't live near fighting game tournaments nor am I in the age-bracket where having 4 people meet over at a buddy to play a game all day is a scenario I find myself in frequently.

In addition to that when I do have people over that are interested in playing a game they prefer things they know so a Mortal Kombat 9 trumps a Smash Bros purely because I know people that have nostalgia for the franchise.

I don't see the issue with a clone. I even think, listening to the people describing the gaming mechanics, it's not enough of a clone.

It isn't? Have YOU watched the videos? Are you REALLY going to say that with a straight face?

Why would I link to the video if I didn't watch it? They go into detail in those videos (which last over 40 minutes) and explain why it isn't an exact duplicate of Smash bros. It's very clearly inspired by it as they say, but it does plenty of things to separate itself. The way they handle the point system alone is very different from Smash, or really any other fighting game out there.

Personally, I like Smash because it's easy to pick up and hard to master. That's what I enjoy in games. As for characters being "easiest to learn" or "hardest to master", I definitely put that in the play category.

I get that people like to play as characters they like. Although I was a Marth guy before I knew what Fire Emblem was.

But to say that you just don't want to play a game (Smash Bros.) even though it looks fun? That's what flabbergasts me.

Even if I don't recognize a single character in a game like Smash or Sony All-Stars, if the gameplay was great, I'd play it. Because it's fun. Just treat it like a new IP. I don't understand someone who would say, "That game looks really fun. But I won't play it because I don't know/like any of the characters."

A big part of the appeal of franchise fighting games for a lot of people are the characters. If I don't enjoy Marvel, I'm not going to buy Marvel vs. Capcom 3, even if the gameplay might be great. There are a lot of fighting games to choose from besides that one - so why settle for something with characters that I will enjoy less?

See, here's the thing. Video games are an interactive medium. Arguing that you understand a game because you watched it is about as sensible as saying that you understood The Pulp Fiction because you read it.

CrisKre

I dont see this as the same situation for the most part. This game is the same on every design aspect imaginable. Even the name resembles the game its copying. Concept wise they didnt expand on smash brothers at all.

Shtof

Are some people implying that any Nintendo characters except for Mario & Link are more recognizable by the general public than the likes of Kratos and Nathan Drake? Because that's simply not the case.

Steaks

I dont see this as the same situation for the most part. This game is the same on every design aspect imaginable. Even the name resembles the game its copying. Concept wise they didnt expand on smash brothers at all.

Have you even bothered to look at the mechanics?

This looks as much Smash Bros as King of Fighters looks Street Fighter.

Using existing mechanics and improving upon them is something almost every game does. People are just mad because this is the first time someone has actually utilized the core mechanics of Smash Bros and made it look good.
Are some people implying that any Nintendo characters except for Mario & Link are more recognizable by the general public than the likes of Kratos and Nathan Drake? Because that's simply not the case.

Donkey Kong, Kirby and Pokemon have all sold more than the God of War series.

That said, Ape Escape series, has sold a surprisingly large amount of copies. More than any of the games currently being used I think.

Glass Rebel

What about Pikachu?

Steaks said:

Using existing mechanics and improving upon them is something almost every game does. People are just mad because this is the first time someone has actually utilized the core mechanics of Smash Bros and made it look good.

Well, that's debatable, and if you're saying that Smash Bros. doesn't look good then it's downright laughable.

People are "mad" because it's the exact same premise. It's Sony Smash Bros.

Liberty4all

Banned
Danielsan said:
But people need to remember that this is how genres are born. It's like screaming bloody murder that Doom is a copy of Wolfenstein or Mortal Kombat a copy of Street Fighter. Yes those games were heavily inspired by their predecessors and in many ways tried to copy and recreate their succes, but they also brought new aspects to the table and eventually became their own well established and recognized brands.

Exactly! :)

CrisKre

See, here's the thing. Video games are an interactive medium. Arguing that you understand a game because you watched it is about as sensible as saying that you understood The Pulp Fiction because you read it.

Speaking about being sensible, are you telling me this is not a rip-off and thats the " sensible" thing to say? I dont get it. It has some gameplay differences, tiny when considering the big picture mind you, but EVERY OTHER aspect of this game is the same in concept and design than another game. Would you argue with that?

CrisKre

Again. Try this. Count the similarities here with smash brothers on every level and then the differences. Get back at me.

I think they are implying that an italian looking plumber that never talks and a elf in elfish clothing that never talks have more personality and charisma then those two.

And before people get all upset with me, I love mario and zelda games but some of this stuff is getting a little ridiculous with stating opinion as fact in here.

Amir0x

Banned

Given that Smash Brothers is exclusive to Nintendo I see no wrong in introducing its fun gameplay concepts to another platform and a new audience. Also some people grew up with Playstation instead of Nintendo. Having their own fan service game is valid.

i just wish people would learn to copy good franchises. Sony always gotta copy the detritus, move controller and smash bros and whatnot. I'm glad Sony has so many good development studios these days doing their own thing, but this is really just almost a cut/paste job it's so much like Smash. I can see they have their own gameplay twists on it, but none of it makes it sounds like the experiences goes significantly deeper than the same kiddie pool style of Smash.

I really can't even see the appeal of the PlayStation lineup of characters. I mean, Buzz world. Hurray?

I'm curious about how well this game will sell. Do people (other than internet weirdos) really give enough of a shit about Sony as a "brand" to buy a game like this? Maybe in Europe, but in America or Japan?

I can't imagine they do. Especially with the diminished and collapsing value of the PlayStation brand (I hope Sony realizes they have to give up the brand name soon or face going under with it - the brand has very little real strength in the market anymore imo. Time to rebrand), it just seems like wrong time/place. Fat Princess is some sort of iconic character? Buzz? Patapon worlds? What, did 2 people play Patapon in total? I like Patapon, but the stretching they have to do to get characters that appeal to someone is really nuts. Are they at least going to be able to utilize Crash Bandicoot? To this day Crash is still something I associate with the PS brand, back when it was still relevant.

Mxrz

Ignore lists are handy things, I'm finding.

Really hope more info on characters and modes comes out soon. I don't want another slow media drip. Would love to see Sony toss up a playable demo up on PSN during E3, but I doubt there's much chance of that.

Sony specifically built this studio for the game so it is possible that its a potential franchise though I suppose results will determine the future

I hope Sony is more intelligent then just building a studio for an iffy SSB clone that will bomb. I'm sure once this game goes mostly unnoticed after launch they will throw this team on something more useful to Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom